Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Dear thread of captive traumatised librarians, have any of you done much work in public libraries? What things do you most wish your public libraries had had that you weren't able to offer? I'm aware that 3D printing services are becoming a thing in many libraries and I'm wondering if there's anything else like that you think it would be cool to be able to do to meet the changing needs of your patrons. If you have anything strange and cool that you have been able to do I'd like to hear about that too.

My library service is undergoing a review and I'm looking for good ideas we might be able to pitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

I've seen some appalling e-learning resources for libraries but that really is astonishing.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Do American public libraries still require qualified library certifications? My area has completely given up the idea, I think largely because qualified librarians would expect too much pay.

I've just become a library manager with an unrelated degree (after a few years as a library assistant) and there's only a handful of people I know who are certified and all are nearing retirement.

My new library also has no end of weirdos. The homeless ones I can work with but the worst are the faux academics writing huge tracts of worthless bullshit on the computers every day, expecting you to support their research at every level and endure their insane delusions of self importance.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Just had to ban somebody after I found out they've been secretly filming staff and uploading the videos to Facebook alongside unhinged rambling diatribes for months

This after we took pity on her and gave her unlimited free photocopying and scanning to resolve some of her personal problems. Fucks sake.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Can you actually ban someone in your system? We can't, just give really long "suspensions"

It's a 1-year ban which can be increased and I believe eventually turned permanent if they breach it.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

My local service sent me to a makerspace conference to see about setting one up in our biggest library. Even in the smiley promotional case studies it was clear that lots of places who had them were having serious under-utilization problems with them. Some talked about the effort that went to in order to drag people into the library to use the drat things and I just thought why spend money on this.

I really like the concept but if we do it I think we'll try offering low-tech workspace with a few basic woodworking and textile working tools etc instead. That would serve an equally noble social good without having pissed vast sums of money up the wall if it turns out nobody is interested.

Paying staff to go out and find people to come and use the expensive doodads you bought is nuts.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

My local authority refuses to close the libraries and I'm real mad about it. Locally I've tried to mark out 2m gaps between every seat, every service point, and every computer. I've sent home everyone with any sort of health condition. Still they just shut smaller libraries to free up staff to keep mine open and it's such a bad idea.

We've closed off circulation now and are only open for digital access, information and enquiries. All loans have been extended until mid summer and we have a fine amnesty. The goal now is just to keep trying to prove that we cannot do this safely until someone listens.

We do not have enough gloves, no masks, almost out of sanitizer and alcohol wipes. The old folk keep coming through the doors. The thought that we're going to kill somebody before I can get us shut down is keeping me awake every night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

The Mighty Moltres posted:

So tell me, librarians, how are you guys keeping busy right now?
I assume not many libraries are open because of the 'vid, so yeah that question I asked.

My local authority has drafted library staff to call vulnerable people at home to distribute food parcels and check in on local residents for covid response efforts. Nice idea right?

I was just on the phone to somebody in a manic episode who attempted to cut his cock and balls off with a kitchen knife. Needless to say I immediately escalated that to emergency services but christ it does make me miss the regular library weirdos.