Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Aside from the bathrooms and computers, did any section attract more weirdos than others? More weirdos in history than in periodicals, that sort of thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

Varies from library to library, but generally no. There's all manner of soft tactics we can employ in cases like that, like asking if they brought their parents' card to get it for them or whatever, but one of the most important ethical rules for American librarians is that you do not judge what people check out, you do not refuse to check out books to them, and you do not tell anyone what someone else may have checked out. We are not arbiters of what people should and should not read or watch or learn, and protecting the right of people do peruse what they wish, and their privacy in doing so, is critical.
I love that librarians and park rangers are the vanguard of American liberty these days. Shine on, you beautiful bookworms.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

JacquelineDempsey posted:

"little free libraries?”
Here in Rochester, NY there are plenty of them. Ours are usually in uniquely decorated birdhouse-meets-cabinet structures in people’s front yards. I can think of a church in my neighborhood that has one, but they’re Lutheran and so generally don’t try to stuff theirs with anything particularly preachy. Sometimes people put things other than books in them along with the books, like postcards and things.

(Photo not mine, but similar to the ones in my neighborhood)

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
I attribute a significant amount of my personality to having torn through Roald Dahl books over and over when I was little. Every kid worldwide should have him as required reading.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Not all heroes wear capes :allears: