Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
https://massivelyop.com/2018/10/22/trion-worlds-has-been-sold-to-gamigo-and-yes-there-have-been-more-layoffs/

Developer of Rift, Trove and localizer of various bad Korean MMOs has been sold to a holding company and most of the staff laid off.

Looks semi sudden because a lot of their social media and community stuff went dark at the end of last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

it's trion so i can't even tell if a buyout and layoffs are going to hurt their remaining playerbase or help

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
2018 doing a much needed MMO cleanup. No one is safe. Not everyone is as fortunate as Daybreak to be able to live forever on life support of a skeleton crew and a predatory cash shop from hell.

Givin fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 22, 2018

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know which one is worse tbqh.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Givin posted:

2018 doing a much needed MMO cleanup. No one is safe. Not everyone is as fortunate as Daybreak to be able to live forever on life support of a skeleton crew and a predatory cash shop from hell.

Daybreak got rescued by a company that uses ex russian spec-ops mercenaries to do armed takeovers of siberian oil wells because Putin wanted his daughter to be able to indulge her game dev hobby.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

the way they murdered RIFT is nothing short of an MMO crime

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 4, 2020

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pleased by Trion's complete financial failure and mass sackings to the point of sexual gratification.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch of bait & switchers.

Also lol @ any fucker who gave them money for that Defiance 2050 relaunch scam flop.

Press F to piss on grave.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

came to see if this had been posted. lol

I still read the aa forums. Apparetly the server mergers that happened over the weekend actaully went smoothly.
My guess is there was no one there to touch anything, hence it worked.

There are still trion white knighters though.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Frog Act posted:

the way they murdered RIFT is nothing short of an MMO crime
I know about how bad the cash-shop was and how they just straight-up sold gear, did it get any worse than that?

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007

DancingShade posted:

I'm pleased by Trion's complete financial failure and mass sackings to the point of sexual gratification.

What in the...?

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

ukrainius maximus posted:

What in the...?

They really hosed up a lot of otherwise promising and/or good games.

Trion was not a good company.

Orv
May 4, 2011
*Leans into mic*

Good.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Pierson posted:

I know about how bad the cash-shop was and how they just straight-up sold gear, did it get any worse than that?

https://massivelyop.com/2016/01/27/rift-forces-players-to-use-cash-shop-for-expansion-gear-upgrades/

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
RIFT was such a fun MMO before it become such a terrible MMO.

The way the classes worked w/ the talent trees tickled me in all the right places. Bard tanking in PVP while teleporting around like crazy was the ultimate highlight.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Early rift was a fluke and Im glad they are dead

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
I used to play Everquest with Adam Hetenyi. He went on to be senior game dev for Rift and the first expansion. Then he went on to do Trove.

He also worked for Sigil and created a lot of content for some neat dungeons in Vanguard. I got to beta test stuff out as he made it and he named some dungeon boss after my EQ character. I was in IRC with him when they took everyone out to the parking lot and pink slipped them.

Cool dude. Very creative guy.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
Rift had a pretty good cosmetic system from what I remember. You unlocked each piece to an account wardrobe just by having it in your inventory. Four different armor weights you could mix and match. Usual goofy late game armors but a fair amount of quality stuff without spikes.

Before they tinkered with the invasion system, I remember being in the early desert/mining zone late night and a desperate defense of a town from planar invaders who had taken the rest of the map. That was fun.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Byolante posted:

Daybreak got rescued by a company that uses ex russian spec-ops mercenaries to do armed takeovers of siberian oil wells because Putin wanted his daughter to be able to indulge her game dev hobby.

puberty worked me over posted:

The whole Columbus Nova / Daybreak saga was an amazing read thank you for bringing this up. Especially the part about them being really really sloppy about trying to cover it up. MMO company drama still more entertaining than most MMOs.

Where can I read more about this?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

NeurosisHead posted:

Where can I read more about this?

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/the...sia-36807%3famp

Renova Group are the parent company of Columbus nova. Their ceo got sanctioned by the us this year and was making campaign contributions to trump.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/ars...iation/%3famp=1

Post sanctions on renova smeddo and the gang have been flailing around saying even though the site privacy policy said daybreak was owned by Columbus nova it isn't actually owned by Columbus nova.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I'm kind of suprised Trion lasted as long as they did. One of the guilds I used to play with had ex-Trion devs, and from what I've heard, it's a miracle that RIFT was as good as it was at launch.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Byolante posted:

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/the...sia-36807%3famp

Renova Group are the parent company of Columbus nova. Their ceo got sanctioned by the us this year and was making campaign contributions to trump.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/ars...iation/%3famp=1

Post sanctions on renova smeddo and the gang have been flailing around saying even though the site privacy policy said daybreak was owned by Columbus nova it isn't actually owned by Columbus nova.

Well at least they found a nice home laundering money for Russian oligarchs. What a happy ending

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

remember when rift came out and we all (myself included) heralded trion as a great company that was saving the industry and revolutionizing customer service? what happened along the way lmao

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

they over extended and decided to immediately ruin their good will by making a bunch of junk quickly instead of focusing on making something good and maintaining it

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
They started running out of money after Rift, got new leadership and WELP.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

After Storm Legion they just started making increasingly bizarre decisions regarding monetization.

A while back they decided to change how Patron for Rift worked because they weren't making enough money with it. The change was that instead of letting F2P players save up their charges (stuff that let you do things like get loot in dungeons) as was the system for years, non-subbed members would be able to get rewards for those content once a day, period, and you would need to sub to get otherwise

The title of the thread announcing this was "Now patron rewards are even better!"

After the inevitable backlash from people that thought that taking away incentive to run content from f2p players was, in fact, bad, the company tried to explain the change:

quote:

In addition to enhancing Patron status, these changes are designed to enhance the development revenues of the game as a whole, supporting the game we all love. We are fully committed to the long-term health of RIFT, and exploring options such as these that will keep Telara evolving over time.

The changes outlined today may also provide an additional benefit; we anticipate that they create more opportunities for playing together for all players. For instance, instead of spending all their charges on a single day of the week, a non-Patron will need to log in each day to get the benefits of their charges. This increases the average number of people participating in any given activity every day of the week, meaning shorter queue times and more people to play with.

How, in an industry where almost all of your competitors are running f2p systems and staying alive, do you screw up this badly?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Good. gently caress 'em.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Mormon Star Wars posted:

After Storm Legion they just started making increasingly bizarre decisions regarding monetization.

A while back they decided to change how Patron for Rift worked because they weren't making enough money with it. The change was that instead of letting F2P players save up their charges (stuff that let you do things like get loot in dungeons) as was the system for years, non-subbed members would be able to get rewards for those content once a day, period, and you would need to sub to get otherwise

The title of the thread announcing this was "Now patron rewards are even better!"

After the inevitable backlash from people that thought that taking away incentive to run content from f2p players was, in fact, bad, the company tried to explain the change:

How, in an industry where almost all of your competitors are running f2p systems and staying alive, do you screw up this badly?
:confused: You get more flies with honey than vinegar.

Is there anywhere where I can read a postmortem of this shitheap? I never paid much attention to it, but this is what I did notice as an outsider:

1. Rift launches, is praised but never makes a dent in World of Warcraft
2. Don't hear anything about it for years
3. Game resurfaces in the news, now has predatory lootboxes and pay to win schemes for endgame equipment right out of a shady Korean MMO

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
http://mmofallout.com/trion-worlds-tells-court-company-disbanded-all-employees-terminated/

"Defendant’s counsel reporter that Trion Worlds has suddenly disbanded this week. All assets and
property were assigned to Trion Worlds (ABC) LLC, and they proceeded to sell the assets and intellectual
property to others, particularly Gamigo, a Germany-based game publisher. All of the employees of Trion
have been terminated effective October 22, 2018, i.e. immediately upon the announcement, and its
directors and officers are gone and the company will be dissolved."

If you click on the Trion Worlds under that article you'll see a whole bunch of lawsuit related articles. They've been in legal strife for the past 3 years. Seems this sale to Gamigo was not only because they were insolvent but also an attempt to shift assets away from exposure to the existing lawsuit.

I don't know how legal that is but that sort of action fits with what we came to expect from this (former) bunch. I wonder where the (former) executive officers have run off to.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Delicious.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Just in time to play RDR2

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

RIFT's attempt at a legacy server called RIFT prime was an unprecedented disaster. in 2011, the era they tried to emulate, RIFT was a very successful game making them tons of money, and they just couldn't restrain themselves from implementing horrible cash shop poo poo and a totally broken ersatz attempt to replicate the original systems with the modern game and literally not one thing worked right. It was impossibly bad and RIFT was my favorite MMO ever, I was really disappointed when I got into one of the dungeons I loved back in the day and everything was impossible because they had left the HP scaled up by like 1,000%, and lots of souls (classes) were garbage and one entire like genre of souls, warrior (six classes) was total garbage and worthless. It should be studied by future game designers as an example of abject failure and mismanagement and throwing money into a hole in the ground

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

When Rift launched it felt like a real step forward from WoW. Then I played it after it went F2P years later and it felt like the exact same game except with a cash shop and 1/20 the population. I guess the problem is that the universe doesn't really need more than one WoW.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

When Rift launched it felt like a real step forward from WoW. Then I played it after it went F2P years later and it felt like the exact same game except with a cash shop and 1/20 the population. I guess the problem is that the universe doesn't really need more than one WoW.

There's room for a niche game like RIFT if they added enough innovation to differentiate sufficiently, although the market's a lot smaller than it used to be. I blame Trion's fall more on managerial incompetence than choice of game. Remember how Defiance had a loving television series attached to it? Those sure as hell don't come cheap. It felt like them getting lucky with a single moderately successful product and then the top brass ignoring it in favor of diverting resources to vanity projects.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I remember how Defiance the MMO flopped. Both launches.

On that topic how stupid do you have to be to put money into the 2050 relaunch this year which was the exact same game as in 2013 only literally far worse in every aspect including core game play loop?

The same kind of stupid that is still posting on the official forums asking devs for features, bug fixes (for 5 year old bugs identical that persisted from the 2013 launch) and holding out hope even to this day.

Like... what devs?

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 31, 2018

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I remember when Rift was the darling MMORPG that was to destroy World of Warcraft.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
That was every game back then though you couldn't just do your own thing your game had to emulate and kill something else.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Morglon posted:

That was every game back then though you couldn't just do your own thing your game had to emulate and kill something else.

It's super interesting to me the way that we have historically talked about MMO's. WoW became a monolithic presence, "killing" EQ (not really but I think you understand what I mean). Every game designed after that had to be "The WoW Killer." And they all suffered for it, and there was very little innovation in the MMO market space as a result. Companies that tried to innovate (WAR's public quests come to mind first) failed because they still wanted to be the "WoW Killer" and their design & development were too muddled to be sustainable. Most of the innovations from that time have been widely adopted, many even by WoW - but not until after the games that birthed them died and were largely forgotten.

It hasn't been until the most recent crop of MMO's, like GW2 and FFXIV, that it's stopped being about taking away from WoW, and creating their own audience and satisfying gameplay loop to keep that audience. And micro-transactions I guess, although that's the entire video games industry and probably a topic worth a ton of its own discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Mizuti posted:

1. Rift launches, is praised but never makes a dent in World of Warcraft
2. Don't hear anything about it for years
3. Game resurfaces in the news, now has predatory lootboxes and pay to win schemes for endgame equipment right out of a shady Korean MMO

Trion was pretty heavily tied up in VC funding, they even went through a third and final round of funding not long after launching Rift to raise a pretty substantial chunk of change. Declining revenue and a change in management brought with it a pretty drastic change in how Trion treated its customers and managed its products. Games like Defiance were ahead of their time and should have had a dedicated following got very little marketing and were pretty badly mismanaged. The company basically got pillaged by the VCs and what happened is probably a pretty good example of how corporate greed and an emphasis on short term profits can really gently caress things up.