Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

tonberrytoby posted:

e: does anybody know enough about ships to tell me what those walks on the orlop deck are even for?

shivering the timbers, mostly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

tonberrytoby posted:

It was the last one I got, along with the guy in the port walk. Who is difficult in a extremely rewarding way.
I wonder how many people finished with this particular case!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Dominoes posted:

I believe there's a line explicitly saying there are 3 shells.

Which is very interesting considering that Chioh Tan, the guard, who's one of four people you'd expect to really know what he's talking about specifically says *the* shell. My thought is that the crew only has a very brief bit of dialog before Tan is spiked and the chef's death to work from and draw an incorrect conclusion about shells vs the Shell.

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord

tonberrytoby posted:

And that the cook needs an unusually exact cause of death. I tried every beast related cause before I caught on.
Oh god, it's a cause of death thing? I had decided that guy must have not actually been the cook somehow because it just didn't make sense for speared/spiked to not work
(assuming we're talking about the same guy—captives part 2, right?)

Zyxyz fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 27, 2018

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Zyxyz posted:

Oh god, it's a cause of death thing? I had decided that guy must have not actually been the cook somehow because it just didn't make sense for speared/spiked to not work
(assuming we're talking about the same guy—captives part 2, right?)

this is an incredibly direct hint:

what, exactly, did the cook get struck with?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I found that one difficult too, he’s (barely a spoiler) the only one who dies that way.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010
Hint: Given that it was tied up, how could it have struck him?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Begemot posted:

This game is fuckin' great.

It's really amazing how well all the scenes are staged. When I first started The Doom, I was taken aback when I realized that Abigail hadn't just been killed by a random accident, but that a giant squid was attacking the ship. The slow realization of what's actually happening in some scenes paired with the music almost makes it a horror game. Maybe more of a dread game.

Yeah, this really worked well for me early on in that creeping horror way. I think I audibly gasped when I first realized that Abigail wasn't killed by a falling beam, but by a beam being swung by a giant tentacle, and then later The Soldiers of the Sea was just an amazing set of slowly escalating horror as it went from
"okay, this guy got impaled and crawled off here, that's bad, wait, looking through the holes I can see the crew getting attacked by... giant crabs? This crew has the worst luck. " to
"okay, these guys got actually impaled and stuck onto the crab itself, what a godawful way to go" to
"oh gently caress that's a thing which is RIDING the crab oh gently caress"

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I wish there was a way to revisit a scene other than walking around to the corpse again, unless I am mistaken?

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Elendil004 posted:

I wish there was a way to revisit a scene other than walking around to the corpse again, unless I am mistaken?

Nope. It's one thing most people seem to agree on the game could use. Hell, I'd settle for a teleport between top/bottom deck, even.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Yeah if once you had collected all the non-Ch. 8 scenes you could just freely pinball between them using the notebook, that'd be great.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
I'm Taiwanese-American and this is the last place in the world where I expected to see representation. Can't wait to get to the part where they all is alive, on Asia.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

How are you supposed to get alive, in Africa? I got it by trial and error for the 4 in the boat, but I tried all the islands nearby first. What's the clue?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Elendil004 posted:

How are you supposed to get alive, in Africa? I got it by trial and error for the 4 in the boat, but I tried all the islands nearby first. What's the clue?

hint: It's not anything you'll see on the boat.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Elendil004 posted:

There are 2 clues:
The hard to notice one in the books foreword : Henry Evans, the ship surgeon, wrote the book and asks you to send it back to him in Morocco.
There is also a second hint in the bad ending: Miss Bird's letter to you states that she was on the Obra Dinn.And now lives in Morocco.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Hah I never connected those, too meta. I feel like I'm at the guessing stage. Been through all the scenes twice though I can't seem to find the hammock scene again.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Elendil004 posted:

Hah I never connected those, too meta. I feel like I'm at the guessing stage. Been through all the scenes twice though I can't seem to find the hammock scene again.

There are a couple but you're probably thinking of Scene 2-1--the wrapped body by the stern stairs on the orlop deck.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Finished the game last night. It was really good, although near the end it becomes less about working out what happened and more about solving which minor seaman is which based on personal effects, shoes, and bunk numbers, which is still fun but is less dramatic.

tonberrytoby posted:

e: does anybody know enough about ships to tell me what those walks on the orlop deck are even for?

Lucas Pope posted:

It's typically called a "carpenter's walk." For some reason I can't find any references on Google but Ecky's pic does show it. It's designed to allow access to the ship hull for repairs while at sea. If you're firing canons at an enemy ship, you want to hit just below the waterline to flood the ship and sink it, so the walk is a countermeasure against that happening.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Elendil004 posted:

You have to figure out what the 'Escape' is and what led to the failed mutiny.
The 4th mate steward and the civilians took the last boat 'somewhere' nearby to keep them safe.
A topman was so incensed by the plan (and losing the last means of escape) that he openly murdered a steward as they were about to leave.
Presumably the mutineers plan was similar to the escape plan. Olus 'didn't trust the captain' and wanted to take the ship 'east', which according to where they were on the map, would take them to Africa. The 4th mate didn't agree, shouted Mutiny!, and shot Olus in order to pacify it.

The game is real good, likely my favourite from this year.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

The Hidden Achievement is going to be kinda annoying to get since I just went through and got everything.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Tokamak posted:

Presumably the mutineers plan was similar to the escape plan. Olus 'didn't trust the captain' and wanted to take the ship 'east', which according to where they were on the map, would take them to Africa. The 4th mate didn't agree, shouted Mutiny!, and shot Olus in order to pacify it.

That isn't really what happened.

Olus was suggesting mutiny to the 4th mate, who as ambivalent. The last midshipman overheard them and shouted mutiny. Then Olus stabbed the midshipmen. The 4th mate got angry at Olus or tried to hide his accompliceship and shot Olus. Then Brennan sees the 4th mate surrounded by bodies and clubs him.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I've found something I don't get.

Emily Jackson and Miss Jane Bird's sketch portraits are clear from the moment you first see them, during Scene VII-8. What clues am I missing that would identify them that early on?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Really Pants posted:

I've found something I don't get.

Emily Jackson and Miss Jane Bird's sketch portraits are clear from the moment you first see them, during Scene VII-8. What clues am I missing that would identify them that early on?

One has a wedding ring, the other doesn't. There are only three (English) women on the ship, and you've already identified one by that point, so....

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:laffo: This loving game.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Begemot posted:

One has a wedding ring, the other doesn't. There are only three (English) women on the ship, and you've already identified one by that point, so....

Uuuuuuuugh.

Those and the Chinese topmen were the only ones that I just got by trying it both ways. I thought it was odd that one was specifically titled 'Miss' when no one else was given a title - but that didn't click at all.

Anyway, that was great. I'm convinced that Brennan was a murderous, mutinous bastard from the word start. Just look at the slimy prick.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

What happened to the goat?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Elendil004 posted:

There’s actually a much easier way.

The mutineers leave in the early part of Scene 9. Also in Scene 9, Oleg the assistant gunner is talking of stealing the boats and the treasure and heading due east, which implies he’s tied in with those stealing the boats; the only thing due east is Africa, so that must be where they went.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

skeleton warrior posted:

There’s actually a much easier way.

The mutineers leave in the early part of Scene 9. Also in Scene 9, Oleg the assistant gunner is talking of stealing the boats and the treasure and heading due east, which implies he’s tied in with those stealing the boats; the only thing due east is Africa, so that must be where they went.

The ones that leave aren't mutineers though, they're mostly passengers getting the hell out of there. You know they're (almost definitely) in Africa because that's where the surgeon tells you to send the book.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
This game is pretty clever. Unusually so

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Dominoes posted:

I believe there's a line explicitly saying there are 3 shells.

xthetenth posted:

Which is very interesting considering that Chioh Tan, the guard, who's one of four people you'd expect to really know what he's talking about specifically says *the* shell. My thought is that the crew only has a very brief bit of dialog before Tan is spiked and the chef's death to work from and draw an incorrect conclusion about shells vs the Shell.

You're both right. The Formosans had only one shell in their possession. The others were captured with the mermaids; when they attack Nichols and his merry men in Chapter IV, you can see two of them wearing shells in their hair.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I must be the densest bastard on the planet because I'm getting nowhere with this. I've got the first three fates and now I've got two guys I should apparently be able to identify. One is the tattooed guy from The Doom part 7 who gets torn up by the kraken - later on someone tells the bosun that his mate gets torn apart so I thought Bosun's Mate, but apparently not? He doesn't really look like a bosun's mate, not that I know what one of those looks like.. But the one that's really bothering me is the one before that from Doom part 6 because he's only in two memories, one where he's getting blown the gently caress up by a keg of gunpowder and doesn't say anything and the one directly before that where he's just... running up the stairs? I have no idea how I'm supposed to get it from that. What am I missing there?

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Unkempt posted:

I must be the densest bastard on the planet because I'm getting nowhere with this. I've got the first three fates and now I've got two guys I should apparently be able to identify. One is the tattooed guy from The Doom part 7 who gets torn up by the kraken - later on someone tells the bosun that his mate gets torn apart so I thought Bosun's Mate, but apparently not? He doesn't really look like a bosun's mate, not that I know what one of those looks like.. But the one that's really bothering me is the one before that from Doom part 6 because he's only in two memories, one where he's getting blown the gently caress up by a keg of gunpowder and doesn't say anything and the one directly before that where he's just... running up the stairs? I have no idea how I'm supposed to get it from that. What am I missing there?

Sometimes it says "possible to identify" without it actually being reasonable to identify, don't bash your head in, move on to other stuff and see if solving other mysteries helps you put a semblance of order to things.

On the tattooed guy - Take a look through the ship's roster. Is there someone in there who would be more appropriate than most to be heavily tattooed?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Unkempt posted:

If you haven't already, there's nothing wrong with finding all the memories before you really start trying to pin down fates. There's no reason to kill yourself trying to work out the ones you have available when you might not have all the information to solve it (having their face clear means there's technically enough information to work it out, but that doesn't mean you will without a shitload of other information to help).

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Unkempt posted:

Your second man has some more info in other memories where he doesn't appear.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Elendil004 posted:

My assumption was that since the doctor was on the boat, and his preface told us to return the book to Morocco (Africa), then the rest of the people on the boat ended up in Africa too.
That might have been a logic leap, but it worked, so whatever :)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I wonder why Henry Evans didn't just fill the book in himself? He would've known most (if not all) of the identities and fates just from his time on the boat - at least up until chapter 9. And he had the pocketwatch and monkey hand so he could've easily looked into chapter 8 from the comfort of his home.

The least the old bastard could've done was annotated the sketches with everyone's names. :arghfist:

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Steve2911 posted:

I wonder why Henry Evans didn't just fill the book in himself? He would've known most (if not all) of the identities and fates just from his time on the boat - at least up until chapter 9. And he had the pocketwatch and monkey hand so he could've easily looked into chapter 8 from the comfort of his home.

The least the old bastard could've done was annotated the sketches with everyone's names. :arghfist:

For one, he couldn't have known any fate from after he left the ship. Whichever else he knew, apart from the couple ones that were specifically brought to him for diagnosis because they had died of sickness and the officers explicitly wanted to know if it was contagious (cause if someone dies from having their heads blown off you don't need surgeon to look at them), is highly dependent on whether he had the opportunity to use the watch on bodies. And I don't think he just went around telling people he had a magical death watch apart maybe from the surgeon's mate, so he can't have had all that many opportunities. Not to mention he didn't really have a motive to do so either until things really went to poo poo, ie once giant crabs and squids started happening, and by that rather hectic point using an occult artifact would have been even more of a problem with the panicked crew.

Probably, the point is, he also wanted the story to be passed on, and not just through a book but through a witness, which is why he sent you there with the watch in the first place and eventually even provided the monkey hand.

Chev fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 28, 2018

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Wife and I killed this in one day, probably about 13 hours. We eventually got frustrated with the Chinese Topmen and just brute forced their names.

The only scene that really confused us was The one with the dude who loses his leg. For some reason we just swapped the surgeon's mate and the captain's steward for the whole game going off the dialog. It wasn't until we were pulling our hair out and going through all the scenes again did we notice the actual surgeons mate sitting with his bag next to the Formosans after they were laid out on the boat.

Overall 10/10, would test the strength of our marriage arguing over if dudes in pictures look Chinese or not again.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Scott Manley has a great video about the game. The parts that make it unique start at 2:30 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXT_9qs_ft8.

Unkempt posted:

The first guy gets a hint in Soliders of the Sea part 1.
The second guy is mentioned in a scene where he doesn't appear.
Though I think both of these are much easier if you know some background information about British sailing ships.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems
Stayed up until 1 AM finishing this last night, holy poo poo what a perfectly brilliant game. Not a single misstep (from it, not me), and I'm chagrined at all the hints I missed (like the goddamn hammock numbers) while largely brute-forcing my way through the last six seamen.

I did note that, in addition to some people being mysteriously unblurred without obvious cause, there are other figures (like the surgeon) whom it is 100% possible to ID from context clues before their portraits clear up. Not sure what that's about, or why it sometimes gives only a single Difficulty Triangle to figures that took me forever -- was there a way I missed to tell which of the Indian crewmen was the one leaning over the sick guy's hammock in A Deadly Cold? Because that was marked one triangle, and I couldn't resolve it until close to the end of the game.

Also, what specific clue did I miss that let you distinguish between the carpenter and his mate?