Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

tonberrytoby posted:

It certainly looks like almost everybody I watch is overlooking at least one of the obvious names. For me personally it was Brennan, whom I didn't identify until I was at the process of elimination stage. Very embarrassing.

I, too, cup my hand to my ear when someone in the next room calls my name.

tonberrytoby posted:

I get more annoyed at the people who see that the tatooed guy was torn apart, hear that the bosun's mate was torn apart and decide that they must be the same person. Especially when they start loudly arguing with them self about if french people wear "celtic" tribal tattoos. Once they figure out they are wrong, they decide he clearly was Scottish.

That guy seems to be the one that requires the greatest level of knowedge/assumption of information that is not given to you by the game directly. I kept looking for another in-game clue to back up my assumption. That guy and, I guess, knowing what a German accent is supposed to sound like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I believe you can also identify him by his weapon, which is hanging up by his hammock.

Are we talking about the same guy? You can ID the Persian guy from his scimitar but I’m talking about the tattooed New Guinean. Never noticed a weapon for him.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

luxury handset posted:

honestly i think the biggest problem with the chinese topmen is there are six of them, where the indian seamen get narrowed down quickly due to illness, there's only three russians, and most other ethnic groups are either too broad to be reliably identified like the anglos, or are one offs like the dane, the swede, the new guinean, the two germans who are identified by specific jobs, etc. but when you're trying to untangle the topmen there's six guys so good luck with that

Look at their feet while they're sleeping.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

Warriors of the Sea is absolutely the best chapter theme song and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise, preferably using a large spear made of coral.

*makes monstrous braying noise*

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

I will say that the hammock numbers felt a bit cheap. You spend most of the game looking for little clues here and there, and then the same type of clue is used to crack open a big chunk of the names. Also it's a little immersion-breaking. Like everyone just has a convenient number on their hammock that matches their number in the crew manifest? That doesn't exactly feel like something you'd see on a real 19th century ship, why can't my game about a magic time-travel compass be more historically accurate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

Party Boat posted:

I'm really jealous of anyone experiencing this game for the first time. Take your time with it and enjoy it!

Someone gotta invent Eternal Sunshine of the Obra Dinn Mind.