Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I had gotten about 35 or so Identified, and hit a wall.

Decided that knowing when portraits get unblurred would be a big help

Restarted the game and cruised through it pretty quick by being a lot more patient with each scene and taking in details and such as I went.

A+, GOTY, 10/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Plot thing I'm a bit confused on:

Second mate muders the violinist, frames one of the Thai guards.
Second mate kidnaps the Thai folks and their treasure box and runs off on a dinghy with a shoestring crew.
?????
Crew gets attacked by mermaids, manages to bring back some extra shells, Second mate gets shot by second guardsman

So what the hell was the plan in that ???? section? Just run off to Africa with the stolen treasure box and ransom the Thai girl (I'm assuming she's royalty?)

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Wooper posted:

Formosa is Taiwan, and is not Thailand. Just fyi.

Whoops. My bad. I read it once when I was looking at a hint guide and guess I hosed the two in my head.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Technically you can finish the game as soon as you see all the cutscenes, leave the ship with every fate wrong, and call it a day

But yes, you can get them all in one go

But take it slow
Knowing when the portraits unblur is a huuuuge loving help with deducing a lot of identities

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

ultrachrist posted:

I started just playing this game. I was puzzling out a few early deaths but now that I understand the flow of the game, it seems like it would make sense to jot down the most obvious things but otherwise focus on seeing all memories asap so I have as many details as possible available. Anything I'm missing here?

I would recommend the opposite. Take it slow, take in as many details as you can in each memory.

Remember, people's faces get unblurred when the game knows you have enough details to know who they are, but you only get that piece of information once.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Levitate posted:

Just started playing this, any general things to look out for or tips that aren't spoilers?

Go slow. There's a piece of information you only get once per playthrough, and that's when people's portraits get unblurred. Try to solve as many as you can per scene and write down notes on the ones you can't quite figure out. You can also mark them in the log as 'some seaman', 'some passenger', etc

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Kore_Fero posted:

Don't worry about plunging forward into new scenes, you have all the time in the world to explore and you can backtrack at leisure. At the beginning, you have almost no info but eventually the names will fall into place. Its a good game. Enjoy! :)

Edit: well maybe ignore me then :D I generally followed the story along making notes as I went but I didn't stick around in a scene too long if I didn't see the need. I managed to solve all fates without the need to look things up. For sure, explore to your heart's content!

I blew through all the scenes my first time through and when I was at the end with a ton of unsolved cases and too much information to sift through I got super stuck

Then I restarted and paid attention to things getting unblurred I had no issues

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

The Stowaway in loose cargo has some implications later in the story, though not explicitly to the SPOOKY SEAMONSTER poo poo

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Hey if you all like this game— you should consider checking out Hypnospace Outlaw. It doesn’t quite scratch the same itch but if you like to do completely freeform detective work, and particularly if you like just kinda observing the different crew mates relationships over time, it’s worth at least a gander.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Dalaram posted:

Wait, what?

forgive me, it’s been months since I’ve played, but the stowaway is the brother of one of the ships crew, who later shoots one of the other bottom bois once poo poo goes down, holding him responsible for killing his brother

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

When someone gets unblurred and you can’t figure it out, it’s usually good to look at the log and see which other scenes you’ve seen them in and go back and review those and see if there’s information that you can now use to connect the dots

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

I still have yet to see an adequate explanation on sorting out the Chinese topmen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

logger posted:

There are 3 different types of shoes that they wear, one of them is white, two are fully covering the feet, and one is more square cut where the feet go in. You can identify the name of the person to their shoes for the unique ones in the scene 'A Bitter Cold Part 1' by matching their number on their hammock to the shoes and then using the scene 'Murder Part 2' and 'Soldiers of the Sea Part 4' to match the faces to the name. With the ones with matching shoes you can work out who they are by investigating 'The Doom' and finding the hammock somewhere in the chapter that belongs to a Chinese topman since he is the last one of them alive. The missing one will be the final Chinese topman you need to identify.

You can deduce the fate of one of the people taking the lifeboat before you even leave the boat bringing you to the Obra Dinn after getting the book and compass, use that knowledge to find the fates of the others.

I know it's the shoes but I've never been able to piece together what the gently caress I was looking at outside of the hammock scene

I definitely think that chunk is the most weakly-designed