Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

DTaeKim posted:

My wife and I loved playing through and piecing this game's mystery together. Are there any other games that play similarly to this one?

no it's pretty unique

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Brother Buer posted:

In the last chapter, am I right in assuming Evans didn't give you the details of what happened in the lazerette upfront to make sure the East India Company didn't fine the hell out of the people involved?
it's never covered. your theory is as good as anyone's.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The Vosgian Beast posted:

What's the distinction between being clawed to death vs being spiked to death? I'm not sure how to describe some of the stuff I'm seeing.

Being spiked to death is being impaled by a usually-detatchable portion of a monster, and it's different from being speared insofar as spikes tend to be part of the monster and don't look crafted.

Clawed to death is a strictly hand to hand kill and happens with, surprise surprise, a claw or pincer.

in more concrete terms, the guy who yells 'Let's go, boss!' is spiked, whereas the two dudes who are pinned earlier in that chapter are clawed.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

1234567890num posted:

Yeah, I also used the same thing for the last case you mentioned. This game is very generous with the cause of death.

only in certain situations. that one formosan who is burned to death taking out the mermaids tackles a dude and shoves him overboard to get to the chest - i struggled with that dude's COD for over an hour before i realized apparently there was a small knife involved and none of the other ways of talking about the circumstances of his death actually mattered at all. the aforementioned death with Lim is also really frustrating, because she legit does have a big chunk taken out of her by the mermaid who's necking her, but only the claw wound apparently matters.

it's flexible enough that there's a few ways you can catalog things such that in the epilogue certain sailors will have their estates penalized or rewarded based upon the specifics of how you talk about things, but good lord is it irritating the few times it's not flexible.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Kinda stuck now. I feel like I've ran out of new bodies to find and I've combed the whole ship. Are there any really tricky locations I can get a hint towards

try the cargo bay. there's a 'body' there that isn't really a body insofar as it's not human. also check the deck under the gunnery deck (whose name i forget) very thoroughly. there's a blood trail leading to a body of someone who died after hauling his wounded form around the inner hull of the ship.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Looking closer it seems I've found all the bodies, I just need to put the clues together. Thanks anyway!

yeah good luck the real dark souls begins there

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

I ran two streams with a Scooby Doo gang on my channel and the tattoos gave a lot of people problems there too. Well, not my usual partner, but he is Australian and has a lot of cultural exposure to Pacific Islanders. The rest of the crew didn’t get what I was trying to imply by telling them to think like racists and only got that guy after about 5 tries.

In other news, Obra Dinn won best art direction at the video game awards. Two colors beat a AAA studio’s million dollar effort, lol.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

both americans die like true americans and it's great

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

poque with that particular scene positioning is super key. walk around and keep your eyes on the action.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Radioactive Toy posted:

I don't have much to add to discussions here, but I played through this game a few weekends ago and I adored every minute with the game. Absolutely loved the attention to detail and how everything clicks to make it a perfect detective game. Can't stop listening to the soundtrack even though it's only 25ish minutes long.

My significant other played it a few days before me and then watched my playthrough. She thought it was super neat watching me pick up on clues that she missed or when I was struggling putting together info that she found easy. It's too bad you can only truly experience the game once through, but I've been spreading the good word about the game to everyone I know.

When I streamed this game to my community and had a fistful of people along for the ride I nearly died laughing when someone identified the purser after his very first appearance with the reasoning ”LOOK AT THOSE CLOTHES, I KNOW A loving NERD WHEN I SEE ONE”

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

luxury handset posted:

clothes are important as hell, if you have a sharp eye you can immediately identify the bosun's mate

he's the only french guy on the ship and he's wearing one of these https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marini%C3%A8re

yeah one of my viewers identified this straight away because her father was an actual bosun from quebec back in the 70s and the deckhands on his ship gave him one of those at one point

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the disease in a bitter cold is never identified btw - evans specifically says it is NOT tuberculosis/consumption because it isn't contagious like TB

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Dual Monarchy posted:

I figured it was something like pneumonia, but I'm much further from an expert than even very-early-19th century surgeons are!
yeah even in terms of MY IMMERSION it doesn't really need to be anything special with a scary name. diseases come and go and it's not uncommon for some bold new mutation to kill a few dudes and then fade into history. remember SARS? well biology sure as gently caress doesn't because there's been zero cases in 15 years. same poo poo, different century.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Reveilled posted:

I'm pretty sure eaten isn't an option for the woman, as I recall finding that particular one frustratingly difficult since my interpretation of the scene was that the mermaid had chomped her neck and I couldn't work out why "eaten" wasn't the right answer there. I do think clawed and strangled both work.

This is correct, I had exactly the same problem.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Doing it without any brute force tends to mean that you need to be familiar with some of the standards of the age of sail, too. The game is actually extremely historically accurate in a lot of its details, but it will absolutely not tell you what those details are or even hint how they might relate to the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

luxury handset posted:

irl the hammock number you were assigned may not correspond to any roster but you'd definitely be told "you hang your hammock on hook 141" or whatever.
this is actually exactly how the EIC did things later on in its existence, i learned as a direct result of playing this game. which, in hindsight, makes sense. it was basically a shadowrun megacorp and did its best to reduce everyone to numbers and data without the benefit of nanites and supercomputers. each boat's crew manifest would have exactly the required number of crewmen for optimum efficiency and each one of those numbers needed to correspond to a specific role on the boat. a boat like the obra dinn would be told that you have exactly this many seamen, exactly this many topmen, and exactly this many midshipmen, etc. and no, you couldn't enlist this entirely qualified old salt as a topman in a seaman role, that meant you had to pay him more and you weren't cleared for that budget!!

the main video gamey thing with regard to the crew is that the obra dinn just ~happened~ to have a full complement of passengers aboard when it's not a passenger vessel. all ships had a little space to take a few folks along, but without a full complement of passengers there would've needed to be blank lines or skipped numbers, which would have been confusing. realistically, it was quite rare for a cargo vessel to have a full complement of passengers because passage wasn't cheap and the captains didn't exactly work hard to fill those berths.