Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Is anybody else having a pretty good time telling all the people apart except for a few clumps of guys in the same job with the same nationality?

I've got the Russians figured out as a group with the topman's swashbuckling ways marking him out but I can't distinguish the two who get into the rowboats together, and one being lefty seems important but doesn't actually get me a name

I've got the Chinese figured out as a group with one hammock in The Doom giving me one name but then I can't distinguish the remaining three, because as far as I know, there isn't any time that the hammocks come down or names get dropped between

Figuring out the English was an undertaking, but I got it done. Thanks, hammocks in The Doom

Yes there's brute force, but that's gauche and considering how the English fell together, I have a feeling I overlooked something when I did it.

Also, ending spoiler, is there a way to make it so that The guys who accidentally shoot fellow crewmen aren't fined?

Edit: If you're stuck in the same place I was, Look very closely at what you can see of guys in their hammock and/or their belongings, that can be used as a key to which is which

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

^Agreed 100%, and you beat me to the draw

Re: ending spoiler

Really Pants posted:

You could probably leave their victims as "shot with a gun by an unknown attacker," but I don't think you can get Chapter VIII that way.

I looked at a walkthrough, and it looks like for the guy who lit the fuse on a cannon that the kraken pointed at two other sailors, you can say the beast did it. I'm interested to see whether that actually works, and what the resulting insurance claim looks like. I don't think I can get the bosun's mate off, but I may as well try that as well while I'm at it, fining his estate for murder is way out of line for an overpenetration on a shot that he was absolutely right to take.

Edit: Yeah, I said the guy who lit the fuze did it and he got fined. Do you remember what his result was like if the beast did it, did he get any special recognition for valor?

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 24, 2018

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Cicadalek posted:

Exceptional performance of duties, same as most of the crew who die in non-mutinous ways.

Whoops! I screwed him over badly then.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

It's about saying (person) was killed by (method) by (person).

But it's also about going back through a set of memories after you've seen the start and trying to figure out if one guy got clubbed because of a misunderstanding because he was standing over a dead body and a guy who'd shouted out who was stabbed in the back, or if he got clubbed because the other guy was in on the reason for the fight starting. It's about the realization that there's an entirely different way to verify whether some people are alive during a scene or not. It's about the realization that you do have a way of figuring out what became of people after you thought they went out of your ability to find them in a memory.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

dmboogie posted:

honestly if there's one complaint i have about this game it's that i was to know more. none of the characters are really more than sketches, but they're interesting sketches! i wanna know how the hell the first mate went from sorrowfully cradling that midshipman who got knifed in the back to trying to break down the captain's door! how much time passed between those two chapters? were he and the other two crewman just exceptionally greedy bastards who planned to sail the ship to riches with three men and no lifeboats? was everyone just driven insane by all the death and misery by that point?

I'm thinking that it's pretty likely that the first mate and Brennan were already committed to mutiny. The gunner's mate went from listening to the Bosun saying that it was unlikely that the kraken was gone for good into a firm plan for mutiny in the span of sentences, and was ready to kill to prevent word getting out. That leads me to think that he wasn't sounding the idea out, but actively trying to recruit. If he's trying to recruit, then that means it's entirely likely that there's already a plan going. It neatly explains why Brennan goes straight to murdering the mate who killed the gunner's mate, after all he just blew the head off of one of his allies.

Now for the reason I think that, which is good end specific: The captain didn't end the kraken attack, did he? It was the third(?) mate's bargain with the last surviving mermaid that did it, considering the word of it was followed. So the captain goes down there, makes a lot of noise, but crucially doesn't do the sort of thing that'd get the beast properly called off. The glowy shell disappears (Also, is there ever more than one of the Shell, it sounds like the idea of multiple shells is based on the cook incident where there pointedly isn't a glow, and the Formosans refer to it in the singular, correct?). The captain hasn't gotten rid of it. So the first mate is left with a captain who's saying it's over but hasn't done what is needed to end it. From that perspective isn't the captain a risk to the whole ship and crew? So if he's already committed, then yet another fight seems like a good reason to deal with it while there's still a few people left alive. I believe that all squares with The End and the dialog about the shells.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Dominoes posted:

I believe there's a line explicitly saying there are 3 shells.

Which is very interesting considering that Chioh Tan, the guard, who's one of four people you'd expect to really know what he's talking about specifically says *the* shell. My thought is that the crew only has a very brief bit of dialog before Tan is spiked and the chef's death to work from and draw an incorrect conclusion about shells vs the Shell.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mindblast posted:

Regarding that guy, is the exotic sword that hangs by a rope a hint? Also, in the same memory thats inside the spoiler block the book claims the tattooed man is in it but I probably blind as gently caress because I can't spot him.

You might want to check the rigging, that's where the topmen work, and looking up and outside the decks is generally good policy in The Doom. Also note the sword in the tattooed man's death scene that he dropped.

Really Pants posted:

You're both right. The Formosans had only one shell in their possession. The others were captured with the mermaids; when they attack Nichols and his merry men in Chapter IV, you can see two of them wearing shells in their hair.

That explains the source. The question left is whether the mermaids' shells are anywhere near as important as The Shell, which I think they aren't.

tonberrytoby posted:

Scott Manley has a great video about the game. The parts that make it unique start at 2:30 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXT_9qs_ft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXT_9qs_ft8 is the correct link.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 29, 2018

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

tonberrytoby posted:

I just noticed that the only piece of foreign language that isn't translated in the game is "verdammt".
That made me notice that the game calls the place above the captain's quarters the stern deck.
Now I feel a bit disappointed.

As opposed to quarterdeck?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Re: Mutiny:

As far as I know, the key to the thing is that the captain didn't solve the problem, Martin did. So he goes back up top, says he solved it, but what he did to solve it wasn't actually the solution. Worse yet, he says he dumped the shells, but I'm pretty sure that based on his knowledge, that's a lie. So the three remaining guys are stuck with a captain who didn't solve things and is lying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Triskelli posted:

this pissed me off when I finally figured it out. Of course the dude in black stripes is French. Plus it doesn’t help that he’s torn apart by the squid offscreen while there’s a much more blatant onscreen dude who suffers the same fate

Blue, actually