Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

double nine posted:

that was a fun ride. I'm going to go through the thread because I don't see how you can deduct who is in some cases without some guesswork - bald guy in striped shirt being one of them, some of the seamen (eheheh), as well as which one is a carpenter and which one is carpenter apprentice.

well the bald guy with the striped shirt is always hanging around with the bosun. in the scene where the captain's steward murders a guy with a sword, the bosun has some rope and the bosun's mate is hauling the guy away. when the bosun's arm is torn off by the kraken, the mate is right there stabbing the kraken with a spear and that's the last we see of him. as the bosun is dying he asks about his mate, who is seen no longer. basically in terms of big glaring clues, it goes 'one character says someone else's name' and then 'these dudes hang out with each other a lot' - the carpenters, the mates and their stewards, the various ethnic groups of sailors, the midshipmen and their uniforms, etc.

and as noted above in the scene where the carpenter's mate is killed, he says "get down boss" and then immediately lets out a death rattle while the carpenter ducks in horror behind him

honestly i think the biggest problem with the chinese topmen is there are six of them, where the indian seamen get narrowed down quickly due to illness, there's only three russians, and most other ethnic groups are either too broad to be reliably identified like the anglos, or are one offs like the dane, the swede, the new guinean, the two germans who are identified by specific jobs, etc. but when you're trying to untangle the topmen there's six guys so good luck with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Reveilled posted:

What I mean is, I'm not sure why the game thinks you can't identify Gul sooner.

because the game signals to you "you should identify this person now" is by unblurring the face. unblurring too many faces too quickly could make the game too confusing and difficult. gul is pretty easy because of his turban, just like maba with his tattoos. and if you miss the cow head and go to the murder chapter then you can spot the butcher during the execution scene because he's hanging out with the cook near some animals with a butchery tool in his hand

you can go ahead and identify people before their time, it's just that the game scolds you a bit for sequence breaking which is fine as the logic puzzle component of the game is already difficult enough without the mild hand holding of unblurring

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

KataraniSword posted:

:emptyquote:

For actual content, regarding identification: I'm pretty sure Omid Gul is only unblurred once you see that his scimitar is hanging by his bunk and have seen him holding it, meaning you need to actually go through both Chapter 2 and Chapter 6 to get him ID'd at the game's pace. Also, I identified Diom by the fact he spoke broken English and most of the other non-English speaking seamen by that point had already died violent or virulent deaths.

i don't recall diom ever speaking? the broken english in diom's death scene was one of the chinese topmen, translating between the captain and the formosan guard. diom was just a big fellow there to hold the formosan to be interrogated. i figured him out late because there are only three black guys on the ship, one of them is the carpenter, and the other speaks in an english accent in the scene where the one seaman avenges his brother by murdering the danish seaman

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Reveilled posted:

I don't think "the game deliberately lies about whether you have enough information to identify someone" makes more sense than "the game has a small error leaving Gul blurred after it's possible to conclusively ID him".

i wouldn't call it deliberately lies, but rather a decision to smooth the pace of the game, like how validation comes in threes and observant players can use that to cheese the system a little by locking down two fates and then testing a third fate until the game confirms it. paying attention to when a face is unblurred is the game saying "ok, you really should know who this is by now, pay attention to the scene you're in" as a subtle cue

some of the identities you can sequence break are:

charles miner - hanging around with the bosun fighting the kraken, is wearing a mariniere

omid gul - is wearing a turban, and is seen falling from the rigging fighting the kraken - the only guys in the rigging in a storm are topmen, which narrows his role down

john davies - is the only Big Hat Man left after you identify the first, second, and third mates

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Dalaram posted:

Also, on the whole captain thing in the bargain, I don’t think he was privy to the arrangement, was he? I thought he killed two mermaids, and then left - then the doctor cuts a deal to release the last one and return the shells, if they call off the kraken.

yeah, the captain has lost control of the situation and himself, which is why he murders his remaining crewmen when they try to break into his cabin where the only thing he has of any value is his wife's corpse

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Coolguye posted:

When I streamed this game to my community and had a fistful of people along for the ride I nearly died laughing when someone identified the purser after his very first appearance with the reasoning ”LOOK AT THOSE CLOTHES, I KNOW A loving NERD WHEN I SEE ONE”

clothes are important as hell, if you have a sharp eye you can immediately identify the bosun's mate

he's the only french guy on the ship and he's wearing one of these https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marini%C3%A8re

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sockser posted:

forgive me, it’s been months since I’ve played, but the stowaway is the brother of one of the ships crew, who later shoots one of the other bottom bois once poo poo goes down, holding him responsible for killing his brother

the crate the stowaway was in landed on the brother sailor. living brother blamed the guy who was handling the ropes

the only reason the stowaway is in there, from a plot perspective, is so we get two distinct deaths in that chapter - the death of brother sailor, and the death of the stowaway

it looks like nobody on the ship knows the stowaway was in there since his corpse is still in the crate

Pick posted:

I played this game. It is super good. My favorite twist was the kraken and then after that several other times, but when you realize it's going There you're like oohhhh!!!

yeah, that reveal signals the end of the tutorial to me and the game being all "aha, you thought this game was about one thing, but now it's about a different, more exciting thing!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Carbolic posted:

I will say that the hammock numbers felt a bit cheap. You spend most of the game looking for little clues here and there, and then the same type of clue is used to crack open a big chunk of the names. Also it's a little immersion-breaking. Like everyone just has a convenient number on their hammock that matches their number in the crew manifest? That doesn't exactly feel like something you'd see on a real 19th century ship, why can't my game about a magic time-travel compass be more historically accurate?

that is exactly how they did it back then. hammocks were used to efficiently pack away all the crew you needed, because the hammocks could be stored away during daytime and the sleeping space converted into working space. you were a VIP if you got your own dedicated sleeping/personal space, and you were real big poo poo if you had an actual bed to sleep in and not just a hammock closet. since space was so tight, everyone who slept in a hammock in the common area was assigned a hammock number so that there wouldn't be fights over the best hammock spots

irl the hammock number you were assigned may not correspond to any roster but you'd definitely be told "you hang your hammock on hook 141" or whatever. making the hammock number correspond to the ship's manifest is a little video gamey but it's not unreasonable. overall the game is stunningly accurate for age of sail stuff. for example, if you know what a french naval shirt looks like you can identify the bosun's mate the moment you see him. and here's another subtle little detail - you can confirm someone has died if you are unsure of their identity because post death their hammocks won't get hung up anymore

MockingQuantum posted:

And I know who the two female passengers are that escape on a boat, but is there something that will indicate to me what their fate is? There's three or four places that they reasonably could have sailed to, am I expected to just guess, or does something point me to the right answer?

some of the clues are subtle and easy to miss

in this case, you'll need to look at the book. from where was it mailed to you? who is the author? does this person mention anyone who was with them? when does this person leave the boat, and who are they with?