Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

T-man posted:

e: also I'm already loving this new forum.

Welcome to CSPAM, friends!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

BOOSness Hammocks posted:

It’s definitely not an either/or, but why were those racist kids spending so much time on 4Chan after 2008? Their narrative is that the culture changes too fast and demands that they be less racist than they are comfortable being, but there are boomer shitheads in my family still mad about the end of segregation and who believe white supremacy is a founding ideal of the United States who never contemplated shooting up a mall or bombing city hall and just lived their lives as middle-class drones. I never even knew what shits they were until Trump let them know it was ok to be that way.

So I kind of feel like if the young nazis of today were distracted by building careers and paying for houses, they would never have moved into the “active nazi” category.

But you’re right that it’s very much an open circle and people gravitate to what radicalizes them as they get a taste for being radicalized. I definitely think that social media and algorithms are extremely powerful and dangerous to us in ways we don’t understand, and that future generations will look at us playing with them so carelessly in the same way we look at radium water or those x-ray shoe-fitting stations.

I think a lot of derives from your first paragraph and the sense that since about that time white dominance felt itself threatened in a way it hadn't been since probably the civil rights era, which was especially aggravated by years of racially-laced fearmongering since 9/11 and anticipated economic stability falling out from beneath their feet.

Also, PJ: I get why you'd get a bit miffed at Helsing's suggestion, which admittedly didn't make any allowances for the fact that you're not in academia or indeed even the most economically secure position personally. However, I'd like to recommend you at least consider Willie Tomg's related suggestion that you run all this by someone who does have the chops and qualifications to hopefully give you some constructive advice as to where to take it next. It's fine if you don't want to do this, and want to just keep the discussion as your informally-derived theory of things you've worked out on your own! But you've clearly given it a ton of thought and are taking at least a the preliminary steps towards formalizing your thoughts into something more concrete, and among other things, speaking with someone with the sort of training in question will (presuming they're not an non-receptive dick of course) help point you towards how to become acquainted with the relevant literature to move your work along. Being a historian I'm not in so closely a related field that I can tell you specifically what that will be myself, other than to predict it will require a lot of reading.

Captain_Maclaine has issued a correction as of 17:27 on Oct 23, 2018

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Willie Tomg posted:

This is why I'm telling you to email universities though. Academics generally don't mind helping with this kind of thing even when the people doing the asking aren't tuition paying students. They will skim databases and give you poo poo for free. Some of them will be dicks about it but some of them won't. They will help you with the heavy lifting on this; you don't need to reinvent the wheel.

Seconding this once more. We love it when people take an interest because it serves as desperately-needed validation of the series of poor life decisions that led us to become professional academics confirms the importance of academic disciplines in general and our fields in particular.

sigh

ocrumsprug posted:

There is a lot of scholarly expectations from the OP in the thread explaining why I say "TRUMPO!"

ed balls

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think it's easy to underestimate the difficulty of academic research to an outsider.

Particularly anyone who hasn't even had an undergrad's introduction to it.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Aleph Null posted:

I've read The Authoritarians by Bob Altemeyer for example and Umberto Eco's Ur-Fascism which are both pretty entry level stuff that barks up the same tree. I was inspired to read them because of your previous thread in D&D. Yes, I made it to adulthood without reading Ur-Fascism; I was an engineering major in college.
Heck, I even see bits of your theory in The Art of Memetics about how ideas spread. Lots of reading about memetics falls into "ideas are magick" territory, but this book is pretty solid. At least I remember it being solid. It's been more than five years since I read it. I remember it being more about how Marketing works.

These are good works (though I haven't read Wilson's book), for all that Eco's work has become an in-joke for us these days. I'd add to the list Richard Hofstadter's The Paranoid Style in American Politics with the warning that while quite good, Hofstadter wrote it during the social history revolution of the 60s and his writing style in it is very much of that period ie: not the easiest for non-historians to get into.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Prester Jane posted:

My money is on a Qultist as well. Everything about this smacks of a Narrativist who has incorporated a pretty substantial amount of Qanon material into their Inner Narrative.

You're probably right, but given the incompetence on display in the bomb design, delivery to target, and spelling on the labels I suspect it's actually Don Jr.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

T-man posted:

wait, sorry, throwing boulders? Geeze, the antifa supersolider program is going well.

Just wait until you're left quivering in urine-soaked fear at the terror of :siren: BIKE LOCKS!!! :siren:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Use of biological metaphors and indeed a biological model for the nation were huge parts of original fascist and Nazi ideology. Over and over they spoke about undesirables being "infections" and "verminous" and many other negative descriptors besides, against which which the herrenvolk needed to inoculate/purify themselves. In particular, the conceptualization of "Jews as cancer/disease" owed a lot of its language to this narrative tack.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Loel posted:

As an aside, where do I start with Hegel? Everytime I try to start I'm immediately in the deep end.

Lol, I just gave my student the five-minute version of Hegelian dialectics today in class, opening with something like "For the philosophy majors in the room, my condolences as sooner or later someone's going to make you actually read Hegel."

To add what others have said, what appears to be the deep end now will soon be revealed to only be the precursor to dropping right off the continental shelf.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Ice Phisherman posted:

So because you turned off your PM's, PJ, I guess I'd just leave this here.

Circular firing squad in the Trump thread is real. Shitheads are getting to act like idiots instead of getting probated. Someone who had a massacre happen in his hometown is being mocked by idiots.

If this happening in our Trump thread, please report such incidents as it moves too fast for me to keep up. If it's the D&D thread, that's outside my ability to do anything directly.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

FAUXTON posted:

"Our people" is one of those dog sirens honky supremacists have

As is calling undesirables diseased and unclean.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, see they've kept samples in labs and stuff. And now they have infected the migrants with small pox to sneak it into america. Once smallpox is loose in the USA the government will declare a state of emergency and force everyone to get the so-called vaccine. That's how they get you.

Hrm. I hope you're not underestimating the problem. The others may not go as quietly as you think. Intelligence indicates they're behind the problems in Paris.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Jazerus posted:

in conclusion,

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Jazerus posted:

what the gently caress

show yourself, coward. i will never stop lmaoing.

Lol.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Being honest, I'll cop to having used to really enjoyed conspiracy theorizing. It was so much fun to puzzle out increasingly ludicrous but superficially plausible explanations to the most mundane stuff imaginable, all while trying to keep it consistent* with underlying thesis of there being some central "Them" controlling things for some unknowable but not-doubt sinister reasons. Of course, this was back when the people who actually took it seriously were confined to the AM radio set, and Alex Jones wasn't being literally consulted by the goddamn president of the United States.

*consistent here defined within a conspiratorial mindset, not in any way that necessarily makes sense.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

PurpleButterfly posted:

Well, poo poo.

PJ, if you happen to be lurking here, please, please post those tools you mentioned on your Prester's Perspective site. I really want them to exist. I believe in you, no matter what happened between you and the mods.

She toxxed for Avenatti and got banned along with everyone else when he declared he's not running a few days ago, so I suspect she'll be back sooner or later.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Dumb Lowtax posted:

That's goddamn great news

Yeah, well done PJ.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Jazerus posted:

i think the core issue is that many academics don't have high regard for unsolicited email from a layman. while i don't think you should stop developing or discussing your ideas at all, there is a real difference between someone emailing a professor with a question and someone emailing a professor with their fairly extensive body of writing. a solid 95% of the latter emails are legitimately from cranks. you aren't a crank, but your lack of credentials does create a barrier here, in approaching academics in this way. twitter might be legitimately more productive than email, weird as it seems.

This is likely a large part of why you're not getting any action, PJ. I very occasionally get unsolicited emails from people who aren't either colleagues or students of mine, and I almost always end up skipping over them after a couple sentences as it's usually either some crank* or hatemail about something I've written that apparently fails to adequately fellate Are Troops. Also, as was mentioned before, we're well into summer right now so even those of us teaching summer courses are at least half-checked out and doing our own thing (research, vacation, wallowing in existential dread, whatever).

*And I deal with enough cranks modding this place! :rimshot:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Chokes McGee posted:

did this thread get moved from d&d or something because this is like actual scholarly debate and I think CSPAM is too dumb for it

If I remember right it's the successor to a D&D thread of the same/similar name, which is perhaps part of why the conversation is perhaps a bit toneier than the usual nonsense we get up to.

crazy cloud posted:

It's just a really good thread

:agreed:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

WampaLord posted:

It varies based on who teaches you. I had a microecon professor who took one whole class to explain why the national debt is total bullshit and why you should write off anyone who tries to use it to scare you into austerity measures.

Yeah, this. A good econ101 class is one that stresses "a ton of this stuff is 'frictionless perfect sphere in a vacuum' stuff that doesn't really reflect real world experiences."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Economics has been a mix of cheerleading and soothsaying for the ultra-wealthy for decades.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

You know I gotta ask, does that really count as a rally given that there's like six people even listening?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

ScrubLeague posted:

The thing about ICE/CBP/DHS guys is they're probably not making a lot of money, definitely not more than they could get as like a security guard or even a regular job where they're not pointing a gun at people. They do it because they want to, even the "good" ones.

But always— do not forget this, Winston— always there will be the intoxication of power, constantly increasing and constantly growing subtler. Always, at every moment, there will be the thrill of victory, the sensation of trampling on an enemy who is helpless.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I’d enjoy some documented examples of senile narcissists, or of what happens to really classic ones in old age.

Having lived through the Reagan era, gotta say, it wasn't a lot of fun.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Ice Phisherman posted:

Do you have a link to this?

All I can think of as the mods drag him away is him screaming that we'll all rue the day and that his uncle works at Nintendo.

One thing Somfin did not mention is that Jrod has been permabanned previously for threatening to commit credit card fraud against Something Awful if he ever got banned again, and is currently living on the sufferance of Lightning Knight (who knows drat well he'll eventually kick Jrod out, once he ceases to be entertaining).

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

E-Tank posted:

Upon losing I wouldn't be surprised if Trump refused to recognize the election and declared it illegal, a sham, a witch hunt. because he knows if he's leaving the white house it's in handcuffs.

While I've no doubt he'd spend the rest of his life screaming on twitter and in person about how the election was stolen, I just don't see him having the stomach for that sort of direct confrontation. He is at core a blustering coward and for all his big talk always backs down when confronted directly. Additionally I think he genuinely believes he's untouchable and never has done anything wrong, and so he doesn't really believe he'll ever face any consequences for his actions. After all, he never has yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Slamhound posted:

I think the problem with this view is the republicans themselves. They all love him, either him personally, or in the case of the McConnell/Grahm types; what he lets them do. I have no problem believing that the entirety of the republican party, top to bottom, would go all in on declaring that a Trump loss was rigged or unconstitutional or whatever. It's the direction they've been pushing for years.

And who would stop them? The democrats? The Supreme Court? Law Enforcement? Lol, lol, and lmao.

Oh absolutely. I have no doubts that the GOP will go right back to the hard obstructionism that they practiced during Obama and Clinton's presidencies and do their level best to stop any governance happening at all (all while loudly proclaiming that the subsequent gridlock proves the illegitimacy of Democratic presidents generally and this one in particular). Which is why the only hope anyone really has is a president who's mobilized a mass popular movement to continue agitating for progressive policies and willing to engage in direct action to see it made law, as the McConnell/Graham set are also fundamentally cowards who only get away with their obstruction because they've never experienced meaningful pushback.

Gee, I wonder if there's anyone running as a Democrat right now who's been building such a movement for some time now?