Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

T-man posted:

What about my question about HHS' trans de-recognition thing? I think it might be a good subject to discuss.
My hot take: the "culture war" isn't just a narrative, it's a Narrative.

quote:

Also all weed is good weed for videogames. Fight me.

idk I suck even more at Fortnite when I'm on a Indica strain because my reaction times go to poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Prester Jane posted:

The Outer Narrative on this one sure came together pretty damned fast.

Compare/contrast the difference between actual reporting and pandering/fearmongering:

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/1055182375401926656
https://twitter.com/PamelaGeller/status/1055178389525487616

So in order to pull this off, you have to have a whole bunch of incorrect information, including but not limited to DWS and Eric Holder mattering in 2018, John Brenan working for CNN (he works for MSNBC), not knowing basic spelling and other fact checking, etc, etc, etc.

The only wingnut circle I know of that still gives a poo poo about DWS and Eric Holder would be the Qult.

Someone impersonating a Qultist would have to have a pretty non-trivial understanding of their ever-shifting lowercase-narrative in order to pull off a false flag. We're probably dealing with a true believer.

I wonder if anyone will die before this idiot is caught.

McGlockenshire has issued a correction as of 21:47 on Oct 24, 2018

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
welp
https://twitter.com/kevinsidonohoe/status/1055210613847347205

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

I can't get over that being real.

quote:

A senior law enforcement official said that the image contained on the Brennan device that appears to be an ISIS flag is in fact a mocking parody of it. The official confirmed that the words “Get Er Done” were on the device.

The “Get ‘Er Done” flag was originally created in 2014 by the right-wing parody site World News Bureau, for an article titled “ISIS Vows Retribution For Counterfeit Flags.” It has since been shared as a meme on right-wing websites and forums.

World News Bureau is run by a man claiming to be from Scottsdale, Arizona who goes by the name Scooter Van Neuter and also runs the parody news site BigHairyNews.com. Van Neuter is a frequent commenter on right-wing websites like Breitbart and The Daily Caller, and his account was permanently suspended from Twitter in 2017.

To save everyone else the time diving down this hole: The sticker maker's site is basically freep poo poo, only it's so brazen and over the top that he wouldn't be welcome on freep. His Disqus profile shows him to be very, very Christian, so it's safe to assume that he's an old chud instead of a young chud. His site has two image galleries, one stretching back to 2010 or so. It's full of crude humor and lots and lots and lot of racial stereotypes for black women, mostly Michelle Obama and Maxine Waters.

I'm gonna double down on the Qultist hypothesis for the bomber. People running in the sticker maker's group are the main demographic targets, so the use of something he created by them would fit. The sticker maker is currently selling a "MAGA" stamp, which makes the likelihood of him previously selling stickers to be pretty high. That also suggests that there are ecommerce records somewhere, perhaps even shipping addresses. I smell a subpoena in Scooter Van Neuter's future. Also, goddamn that is a great posting name.

Somehow I think the bomber didn't quite think this all the way through. Why the hell would you put something so amazingly traceable into your bomb? Why would you not assume it'd get intercepted? What kind of person are we actually dealing with, that could put together and ship multiple bombs and yet not understand opsec? Or spelling?

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Prester Jane posted:

Now all that remains to be seen as whether or not he was Qultist.

I don't see any of the usual Qult stuff there, which is very surprising to me. Boy am I glad I decided not to toxx on it. Based on available profiles of the MAGAbomber in the MSM, he fits the usual pattern of a loose canon, including previous bomb threats (which is why his prints were in the system) and domestic violence allegations.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
The LA Times got their hands on a deposition made by the MAGAbomberin 2014. It's wild.

quote:

One of the lawyers who took Sayoc’s deposition had a similarly skeptical perspective.

“He gave a biography of himself that seemed delusional and almost comical in how farfetched it had to be,” the attorney, David McDonald, wrote in an email to the Times. “He seemed to want to place himself as a key figure in a number of wildly divergent business ventures, when it was obvious he could not have played the role he described.”

In a 2012 bankruptcy filing, Sayoc said he was unmarried, living with his mother, and earning $13,000 a year as a grocery store manager after collecting unemployment in 2009 and 2010. He said he owned a 2001 Chevy Tahoe with 285,000 miles on it.

Even in the bankruptcy filing, Sayoc didn’t list the grocery store as his employer — rather, he said he worked for the investment company that owned the property.

He didn’t.

[...]

The criminal case drawing the most curiosity this week was Sayoc’s 2002 arrest for threatening to bomb an electric utility “worse than September 11th” if it shut off his electricity, according to a police report.

In Sayoc’s deposition more than a decade later, he blamed his own “stupidity” and said, “I got on the phone and I said, ‘What do I have to do, blow up a building to talk to somebody?’” He said it was all a misunderstanding over a joke.

Except in Sayoc’s version of the story, he was a dry-cleaning business owner who had been overcharged for some sort of deposits. (He didn’t actually own the shop.)

“Even though what he was saying was fantastical,” McDonald said, “he said it with conviction and seemed to believe it.”

And by 2018, Sayoc’s social media feeds seemed to be singularly focused on his assertion that Democrats were deceiving the world about their true, manipulative natures.

This guy doesn't fit my expectations. He's not newly broken, for one. I'd been expecting a recently-radicalized Qultist, or someone in the similar mindset. This guy seems built to try and make himself important, to be the one people look to, the hero of the story. I wonder what his defense will look like.

McGlockenshire has issued a correction as of 05:01 on Oct 27, 2018

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
^^ Bitcoin is hella culty, it'll be a good place to look. Consider starting with fellow goon divabot's book, "Attack of the 50 Foot Blockchain"

https://twitter.com/kevinroose/status/1056204229130510338

quote:

The genesis of Mr. Sayoc’s partisan awakening may never be known, but hints of it first appeared on his Facebook feed in early 2016, as the primary season for the presidential election was starting.

That February, he posted a link to a conspiracy theory video on YouTube titled, “Is Barack Obama THE ANTICHRIST — 100% PROOF Is There!” Days later, he posted a second YouTube video, “Satan Sent Obama to Destroy America,” and a clip featuring Sean Hannity, the Fox News host, which was called, “MUST HEAR: Sean Exposes Illegal Immigrant Crime Stats.” He posted several anti-Obama videos multiple times on his feed, interspersed with stories about personal finance and his favorite soccer players.

By the summer, Mr. Sayoc’s social media activity was all politics, all the time.

On Facebook, he posted stories from Infowars, World Net Daily, Breitbart and other right-wing websites. His posts, which rarely included commentary apart from the links, showed a fascination with Islamist terrorism, illegal immigration and anti-Clinton conspiracy theories.

quote:

For years, many of Mr. Sayoc’s posts simply reshared existing images, links and videos. But in recent months, he began to create more of his own posts. He began posting less on Facebook and dialed up his efforts on Twitter, where he could engage directly with his political heroes and foes.

quote:

On social media, none of this behavior is particularly out of the ordinary. In fact, to many of his followers, Mr. Sayoc may have appeared to be just one of many partisan keyboard warriors working through their rage.

“There are tons of people like this,” said Shannon McGregor, an assistant professor of communication at the University of Utah who studies social media. “He took these memes to their most violent extreme, but this is a pretty big world on social media.”

quote:

In recent months, Mr. Sayoc’s behavior changed. His posts took on a darker, more obsessive tone, often accompanied by threats of violence and gory images of bloody animal carcasses. No longer mistakable as an everyday internet partisan, he posted repeatedly about “unconquered Seminoles,” a reference to the tribe that he appears to have adopted. (It also appeared on his van.) And on Twitter, his messages turned dark and sinister.

He directed a tweet at Ms. Waters, the California Democrat, with a photo of what appeared to be her house. The message read: “see you soon.”

He sent another to Eric H. Holder Jr., an attorney general under Mr. Obama, that read, “See u soon Tick Tock.” And he told Zephyr Teachout, a Democrat who ran unsuccessfully for attorney general in New York, that he had a surprise waiting for her. “We Unconquered Seminole Tribe have a special Air boat tour lined up for you here in our Swamp Everglades,” he wrote. “See u real soon. Hug your loved ones.”

This guy didn't just snap and send bombs. This was slow motion self-radicalization that resulted in a concrete plan of action that he followed through on.

McGlockenshire has issued a correction as of 08:35 on Oct 28, 2018

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Dead Beef posted:

Hello thread,
What do you guys think about this:
Body odour disgust sensitivity predicts authoritarian attitudes

Authoritarians exploit unconscious feelings of disgust, something which we evolved to protect ourselves from disease.

:thunk: :thunk: :thunk:
https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1057004782311927808

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

McGlockenshire posted:

This guy didn't just snap and send bombs. This was slow motion self-radicalization that resulted in a concrete plan of action that he followed through on.

https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/1057461500087074816
https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/1057463490187800576

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

R. Dieovich posted:

this strikes me as the kind of grand unifying theory that's so vague it can be applied to anything and people who don't know any better will eat it up.

feelin pretty attacked here dude

I've seen "compaction cycles" first hand for literally decades, they're so loving easy to happen on the internet

C-SPAM has had at least two self-driven compactions that I know of (probably more in the megathreads I don't read) and there will continue to be more in the future given the way things are going in the forum and in the world. this is a goddamn radicalization zone and it terrifies me a little to be caught up in it.

the reason PJ's poo poo sounds like a "vague grand unifying theory" is because it describes actual things that actually happen and have actually been studied and documented, but without identifying them as existing in reality and studied by science and given identified names. would you like me to drop a dozenish links to wikipedia articles that discuss the intertwining elements of the compaction cycle, alone without touching the Narrative stuff?

the only new thing here is the way PJ describes things, which is filtered through her worldview, which is the result of her, uh, unique experiences in life. I personally think there's value in the work, not just because of the content, but because of the origins. you don't have to, though. if you wanna be dismissive of this stuff, then fine, do that, but you don't need to poo poo up the thread to dismiss it

McGlockenshire has issued a correction as of 05:32 on Nov 1, 2018

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

deadking posted:

lol, this sentence is half bespoke Proper Nouns and is utterly incomprehensible if you haven't dug through a bunch of forums posts: a hallmark of good theory and even better writing

yes hello welcome to thread local jargon, where you can lurk and read or you can poo poo the place up

please don't poo poo the place up

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

when that one says, “I’ve worked so hard,” what do they mean by that?

Qultists 101: In October of 2017, some idiot started posting on the chans calling himself Q. Q is named after a specific security clearance level in the Department of Energy. The clearance level is designed for people that need to know about our nuclear arsenal. Q claimed to have secret insider knowledge of the battle inside the government to purge it of influences by the Deep State(tm). Q insisted that all of Trump's enemies would be arrested, along with the pedos from the Pizzagate conspiracy. Among other things, Q made outlandish claims about specific dates that Hillary would be brought to Gitmo, all of which came to pass with nothing actually happening. Q stated or insisted that the Mueller investigation is actually going after the Deep State Super Pedophiles and Hillary, not Trump. Q also insisted that there were clear and obvious public clues as to what was really going on - breadcrumbs.

Back in reality, what he was doing was just fanning the flames of a group that already has malfunctioning coincidence detectors. Over time, Q's way of communicating shifted. It went from spelling out a narrative to speaking in short statements, adding punctuation and odd emphasis, moving from topic to topic and basically asking readers to make connections and draw lines. It's hypothesized that this shift in communication was the first time (of many) that the person or group behind Q changed. This shift happened at around the same time that the rest of the internet sat up and started openly laughing at the idiocy, which brought more gullible people into the fold.

The end result is that "researchers" (like SerialBrain2) in the Qult became the driving force behind the ridiculous claims, not Q himself. Q would post some half-baked nonsense with made up "security" codes and nonsense, and the "researchers" would try and tie together what was said into the greater narrative. Among the tools of researchers was numerology and other desperate pattern seeking. At some point, for some reason, these researchers started being called / calling themselves "bakers," because somehow it's bakers that make the breadcrumbs that Q is dropping? I don't even loving know.

tl;dr/conclusion: The people that claim to have put so much work into the Qult are the people that have made the most poo poo up based on all the poo poo Q made up.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

chitoryu12 posted:

Also important to note that a quick and dirty analysis of Q's "codes" found that all of the alphanumeric stuff he was putting in his posts were consistent with randomly mashing the keyboard. He was literally just babbling and keyboard mashing and letting people go ape over finding hidden meaning in it.

Oh man, I'd forgotten about that. From the middle of the guy's twitter thread, click through for the gallery: https://twitter.com/m8urnett/status/1029136767704694784
Also in that thread is a keyboard heatmap, which makes it super obvious.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

I just want to make sure that this particular thing is highlighted.

The video posted by the Press Secretary of the United States of loving America appears to be the same one doctored by Infowars. Here's a breakdown of the edit:
https://twitter.com/aymanndotcom/status/1060424768653062149

In a normal world, the entire American press, including Fox News, would unite and call out the bullshit and Sarah Huckabee Sanders would never work anywhere in public again. But this is hellworld, so she will be rewarded for this lie, and the lie will be truth to Trump's fanclub.

We are in deep, deep poo poo.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Prester Jane posted:

I've been having a serious struggle for several months now with whether or not I should make an honest post about where I see things headed right now.
It might be worth diving into trends that will come and go, but given how quickly things are moving I think that guessing about concrete future events would be futile and a waste of time and effort.

quote:

Watching the #resistance crew try and make national protests happen over the firing of a white supremacist is just...... such a fundamental misread of how to fight Narrativism that I don't even know where to begin.

The fact that this is how you're framing the underlying cause of the protests demonstrates how utterly failed the messaging about the protests is. I keep seeing people make this same mistake and it stings. The protest isn't about Sessions, it's about his replacement getting control of the Mueller investigation after being so blatant in the media about wanting to end it. The outrage is because people think that a) Mueller's going to find actionable criminal acts committed by Trump and that b) those acts will be actionable in Congress. The first is not a safe conclusion for us to make, and the second is demonstrably false because the elected Republicans in congress will never cross their base and they will find any and every excuse that they possibly can to avoid doing so. "It's not obstruction of justice, it's fighting back."

The protests will amount to nothing except for making the people that will attend them feel better about things for a little while. I think that might be worth it if everyone understands that the executive branch does not give a poo poo about people that oppose their decisions, and the protest is just for themselves. I don't expect most people think that way though. I want to go there and yell along with the rest of them, but I have issues with crowds of people.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
Fixing the content recommendation system means identifying and calling out harmful content. One side of the political spectrum has decided that having their harmful content actually classified as harmful content is actually just discrimination and oppressive censorship. There are congresspeople with this point of view. There have been congressional committees that have called forth Silicon Valley CEOs and interrogated them about how biased they are towards those poor innocent conservative points of view like racist nationalism.

Google doesn't want to risk having YouTube be seen as "political" because that will unleash hell on earth for them. Because they refuse to take action, they are complicit in spreading hate. I don't think they understand this, neither does Zuckerberg, nor does Jack.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
holy poo poo pj why did you toxx for basta ahahahaha

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
do not spread the blasphemy of the false piss tape in this hallowed place, it's a fake right down to the artificial camera shake

Prester Jane posted:

okay confession time: because I had just eaten some potent rear end edibles and it seemed funny as gently caress at the time.

PJ you're a big dummy sometimes

this is amazing and a bit dangerous imo. latching on to the christian schooling controversy is probably a good idea, but I fear what will happen when the chuds continue to spread things around and the same nitwits in /pol/ that created the NPC meme see the bare words "inner narrative" and "outer narrative" and think that they're fine and dandy to co-opt.

McGlockenshire has issued a correction as of 01:11 on Feb 2, 2019

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Ice Phisherman posted:

The way that CTH posters deal with them is just to post "Show me your dick". That's it, really, just a lovely meme. Sometimes they get clever with it,

It's so stupid but "hog out or log out" is amazing. I'm just endlessly pleased at how effective it ends up being on reddit, which has steadfastly refused to understand that the chuds never argue in good faith.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

LordSaturn posted:

1) while living in Iowa, I had a Fox News watching dad type tell me that he felt Nixon was misrepresented by history. one wonders if Reagan is the outer narrative and Nixon the inner, and/or how widespread Nixon apologia really is

The first season of Slate's Slow Burn podcast is about Nixon. It should be considered required listening. There are amazing parallels between Nixon supporters and the Trump personality cult. Some have wondered out loud if Nixon would have survived if he had Fox News, and I firmly believe he could have. It doesn't have to be apologetics, it just needs to be believable enough for those that want to believe (or do I repeat myself?)

The second season is about Clinton, and it also helps explain a whole lot about modern Republican conspiratorial thinking.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Helsing posted:

And your hypothesizing about how only Russian intelligence could be behind such a scheme crosses over into outright nonsense.

Here, maybe you missed the link at the very top of the post that explains that Russian intelligence is literally behind a cornerstone of the entire loving thing

Yes, Americans don't need Russians to blame for Americans being dumb, but seriously, read the loving article.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
https://twitter.com/nickmartin/status/1178580499708698624

My main worry now is what form the organized violence is going to take, and who they're going to take it out on. This isn't going to end up being some staged conflict like what the Patriot Prayer fuckwits do in Portland.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
I read this tweet and thought of this thread.

https://twitter.com/poniewozik/status/1182059755482824709

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

WampaLord posted:

Lowtax “no, don’t do that” and proposed the solution that led to user personal information being compromised as well as all of the resulting fallout.

Even if one is still somehow giving PPJ's events the benefit of the doubt, what in the absolute gently caress is the thinking behind this kind of decision? I honestly can’t comprehend it.

I really don't wanna derail this thread more than needed, but you're seeing only the end result without any of the context.

I was a moderator on a discord with PPJ during those events. Everything described in the bit you're worried about was discussed at great length in moderator chat. I won't speak for anyone else or discuss the contents of the conversations, but I was heavily, heavily in favor of centralized nazi banning. None of this poo poo happened in a vacuum, and PPJ was not the only person acting or making decisions.

I can only assume that this information wasn't included in his post because he didn't want to drag us into the drama. I say this based on his public behavior and statements in that discord after the drama started. I stepped down as moderator there a few months ago.

Given what I know, I find it hard to believe that PPJ is a nazi or that his moderator actions are influenced by any bias against trans people. I'm not saying he didn't have it out for Prester Jane, just that I don't think that bigotry is the driver.

McGlockenshire has issued a correction as of 05:04 on Jan 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

T-man posted:

which of the nazi discords are you in, let's play another game of idiot, apologist or just another nazi wearing the red armband of "well actually"-ing trans people. My bet is #3 given the vagaries.

The CSPAM discord. I knew that not mentioning the discord name was gonna come back and bite me in the rear end. Every single one of the mods there is anti-nazi and there's a history of anti-creep bans that ended up spreading drama here (psst, we banned adamere a loooong time ago for the same reason he was banned here), so anyone telling you dumb poo poo about that crew has an agenda. 90% of that dumb drama comes from one user also, who happened to also be why I quit, so idk whatever.

Believe me or don't, but everyone that I knew that was involved in discussing this was doing so in good faith.

420 Gank Mid posted:

"actually our creepy and incompetent spy-op that completely backfired was good and cool

yeah, that only unironically, for real. deplatforming works, even at the individual account on an individual server level.

e:

WampaLord posted:

y'all should have questioned the guy saying "No, don't ban the Nazis" a lot more.

the line of thinking was "why just ban some nazis now when we can ban even more nazis later?"

also as far as I know most of them were banned manually and relatively swiftly. hell, the "ban even more nazis later" part never happened after the API keys got compromised anyway.

McGlockenshire has issued a correction as of 05:49 on Jan 14, 2020