Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Geisladisk posted:

For a second I thought it was a FW-190 and got bummed out. Turns out it was a AT-6 Texan. Which makes painting it in Luftwaffe markings kinda weird.

Gotta get stunt planes for movies and airshows from somewhere, my dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's hilarious (and by hilarious I mean infuriating) when leftist Nazi-haters somehow swallow Soviet propaganda and start screaming how Poland got what it deserved for being Nazi collaborators.

Like, my duds, do you not know where the Warsaw Ghetto got their weapons from? It was the Home Army.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mr Enderby posted:

Do you like the Sam Smith's oatmeal stout? I'm always torn because I much prefer it to their pretty lacklustre cask bitter, but it's also more expensive, and cheep beer is pretty much the whole point of a Sam Smith's pub.

Sam Smith's pubs are one of the things I actually miss about living in England. Sinclair's Oyster Bar in Manchester had a very good lunch for a long time until the management forced a new menu on every Sam Smith's pub in the country.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mycroft Holmes posted:

how is max hastings new book about the vietnam war? is it good?

It's Max Hastings, so the answer is no.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm the guy who doesn't post meme garbage.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

golden bubble posted:

And now for something totally different:

The American Revolutionary War, as told by Japan during the last decade of the Edo period.

Featuring Ben Franklin pulling a cannon off of the carriage to fire it two-handed, Washington fighting a British serpent with the help of a giant eagle, the evil British tiger-dragon, John Adams fighting the British demon-tiger, and the surprising presence of archers in the war.

Why hasn't this been made into an anime?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

golden bubble posted:

It's this book. I can't tell you any more, because I can't read Japanese.

quote:

Kana Kagaku Noboru "Child painting universal country"

Bunkyu 1 (1861)

Read the title of the book as "Farewell Time Letter". Lu Bun is a prominent man who played a role as a playwriter from the end of the Tokugawa period to the beginning of the Meiji era, his real name is Bossi Nozaki, from Edo, and besides this book there are works such as "Western Canal Knee Chest". According to the introduction of this book, based on the "Seikokushiji" etc., which Wei Genji was established, others, based on other "Mr. Satoshi Ichinomiyoshi", this book is played and the contents are clearly understood by women and children It is said that it made it into a pseudonym book and put it in.
The outline of this book began with colon (閤 龍) petitioning to Isabela king and discovering the New Continent, eventually the British reigned and rushed to regulate, but Washington appeared and established independence and founding founder Progress has been made interestingly, with some fictional figures and youkai appearing.
Therefore, this book can be said to be a kind of the novel, a novel set in the course of the founding of the United States.

From the exhibition catalog "Meeting the West"

Document ID: 149755 (Connected to bibliography details screen)

I hope that clears everything up.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Come to think of it, how did the NVA tank divisions do in combat? I've never heard much about that aspect of the Vietnam war.

There wasn't much tank combat to speak of until the 1972 offensive, where the North Vietnamese eventually lost most of their armor to massive US airstrikes.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Nov 12, 2018

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

He also writes about the CIA killing JFK and a bunch of other conspiracy nonsense. I'd look for a better source.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

IIRC the video game Hearts of Iron 4 does an unironic “Stalin did nothing wrong” because if you don’t do the purges you get couped when WWII starts which I find absolutely hysterical.

Yeah, that pissed me off when I tried to play the USSR because I don't want to purge these dudes, and :lol: that the only one you can arguably save is the more-or-less irrelevant in game terms Karl Radek (who gets a unique purge event) instead of Marshal Doofuski or Admiral Buttfuckovich.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 16, 2018

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It wasn't sounding, technically. He wasn't doing it for a sexual kick, but to remove a blockage in his urinary tract.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Vaginal Vagrant posted:

From reading these threads I've come to understand the formation of the CSA was primarily about slavery, but what motivations drove the North to war?

Preserving the Union, and increasingly abolitionism as more and more northerners were exposed to the realities of southern slavery.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
1861 is a very good book, I think.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQTlT8-qYUk

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The only thing of any strategic value in Florida were the naval installations at Key West and Pensacola. The first of those was held for the Union thanks to resolute action by the garrison of a coastal fort and the second's loss to secessionists was rendered mostly null because they were unable to seize Fort Pickens, which controlled the harbor entrance. The garrison commander had moved enough supplies into the fort just before secession and when a bunch of officials from Tallahassee told him to surrender he basically said "lol no".

The official USN telegrams and dispatches sent before and during the rebel takeovers of Pensacola and Norfolk Navy Yards make interesting reading.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 25, 2018

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
If you need to put lots of bombs on a single target in an environment where air defenses aren't a consideration (which is basically the last two decades of US military ops), the B-52 is still the best value for money out there, especially since you don't need any pesky forward basing besides those that already exist for tankers.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

EvilMerlin posted:

The BOne can do refueling too...

I thought B-1s flew out of Diego Garcia and B-52s from Guam or CONUS for Sandblaster II missions.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GUNS posted:

sir you will treat the British Government with RESPECT

Why? The British Government itself never has.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Fangz posted:

How *does* one go about looking for enemy ships? Just fly around randomly?

Basically scout aircraft would fly out in more or less straight lines at various compass headings until they reached the limit of their endurance and would fly back to base. If done right and with enough aircraft you could search every point of the compass around your own position.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cythereal posted:

I'd just say Ireland in general, Britain's first great experiment in colonialism.

That's Wales, arguably.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

GotLag posted:

Is there a distinction between colonialism and conquest leading to incorporation?

Time, more or less.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GUNS posted:

don't forget big-city fire departments, which are also full of heavily-armed thugs in the mid 19th century, because America

Ah yeah, the "fire b'hoys" of First Bull Run.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GUNS posted:

my college had bear and deer

Mine had deer and mountain lions.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

It's a shame his vision of a better world didn't extend to not sending national service men to kill civilians in Malaya

It probably seemed a lot more defensible a thing to do after recently spending five years dropping fire on civilians in Germany.

Disclaimer: This post is not an endorsement of British actions in Malaya or anywhere else.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 3, 2018

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

lenoon posted:

Castles of Wales, ranked poorly

There's also Caerwent, which is kind of a castle but not really and was awesome when I visited it 15 years ago.

HEY GUNS posted:

hot take: the german u boat captain in land that time forgot is the good guy, whose life was tragically wrenched off course by a bunch of fuckers who did not keep to their parole when taken prisoner

Movie or novel?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

zoux posted:

*steeples fingers* And would you describe them today as complacent in that regard

But yeah I guess the crux of my question was "when did an Anglo-American war become unthinkable" thanks.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

feedmegin posted:

I mean it's not rural but I suggest Americans itt search for 'Rab C Nesbitt' on YouTube and see how it goes for you. Yes, he is speaking modern English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k7VoFiagfs

MacBoomhauer.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I had to see this tweet this morning, so now you bastards all have to see it too.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1071387078901030913

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I swear to God I'm gonna start posting lovely right wing milhist op eds if you keep posting this garbage.

Mutually Assured Shitposting.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I warned you.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1052885781675687936

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The best type of video game where you play as the Germans in WWII would be a puzzle game where you as an army group quartermaster have to figure out how to most effectively allocate resources to stave off the inevitable defeat for as long as possible. There are dozens of endings, 90% of which involve you putting a gun in your mouth.

Or a puzzle game involving matching spare parts to the ludicrously-engineered vehicle they're meant for, then having to hack and slash at them to make them fit correctly because Nazi Engineers Were Insane.

Then the 9th Air Force carpet bombs your repair depot and you die.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Guys I think Harry Turtledove might just be a lovely author.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SlothfulCobra posted:

Personally I think the Native American genocide seems more like a series of genocides, since it was a series of disunited efforts over the course of a couple centuries to wipe out a number of peoples. Looking at it as one singular thing overlooks the individual efforts that made it happen while attempting to rationalize the policies of national governments to have more clear intent than they actually did as they wildly flopped between stances over 400 years.

No, that's accurate. What we look at now as a centuries-long genocide of the native peoples of the Americas as a whole wasn't a concerted campaign of extermination in way the Holocaust was, it was a series of smaller crimes against humanity carried out by individual groups over five centuries, aided by the introduction of Old World diseases to the New World. And it was the diseases that did the vast majority of the killing, despite their introduction being an accident of history that the whites weren't really aware of (the Spanish conquest took place before anyone knew what germ theory was, for instance).

It was only at the very end of this sequence of events (that is, the 1800s) that anything like deliberate genocide against the natives as a whole was practiced. At least, that's what I've gathered from the readings on the subject I've done. I'm sure EvilMerlin will correct me, and if I've said anything incorrect I meant no offense to them.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Also all the infrastructure was built by Italians.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Polyakov posted:

The importance of India to the British Empires perception of the world and the threats therein almost cannot be understated.

It's where the British got all their edible food from.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GUNS posted:

https://twitter.com/TamerELG/status/1073269234313117696?s=19

Be The Person Your Advisor's Mercenaries Think You Are

I don't know if my thesis advisor would've done this for me.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FastestGunAlive posted:

Not gonna lie I’ve always had a bit of nostalgia toward the haunted tank. As a kid whenever I visited my grandparents I would read through stacks of old comics from my uncles growing up. Haunted tank (featured in GI Combat which also had Sgt Rock) was my favorite, probably followed by Legion of Superheroes. I was young so the confederate thing was lost on me, looking at that thread yea it’s pretty bad in retrospect. I’d always wanted to read the modern take they did on the series but holy poo poo what’s posted in that thread seems worse than the original. I did like the idea someone posted in there about doing a take on the idea but with the 761st and Sherman.

According to the Wikipedia article there was a mini-series reboot set during Desert Storm where Stuart watched over an Abrams commanded by a black dude who wasn't happy about it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Epicurius posted:

The idea behind it when it was adopted was that it would prevent mediocrity and careerism... the guy who gets a rank and then just counts without trying to improve.

Obviously, that's not how it worked out, and thenUS military is in the process of trying to change it.

The previous system was advancement by seniority alone. That meant you could be the most brilliant officer who ever lived but still be stuck as a butterbar lieutenant for decades.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Fangz posted:

So it's that they didn't want the bad press of making people just simply redundant?

It was more than bad press. Later when the Navy first instituted selection boards officers who didn't make the cut complained to their congressmen and a whole investigation took place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
US tank destroyer doctrine was drawn up while Germany was still launching massive offensives like Barbarossa and was meant to defend against the same. By the time US ground forces were fighting in Europe, those days were gone. Apart from a few German counterattacks such as Kasserine Pass, Mortain, and the Ardennes, the kind of defensive fighting that the tank destroyer force was created to undertake never happened.