Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Welcome to the beginning of the end, my friends. We’ve waited 162 163 games and most of the postseason to get here, but let’s take a look at the last time the Red Sox and the Dodgers faced each other in the World Series. The Dodgers weren’t even in LA yet!

Last time these two teams met in the Fall Classic, Boston prevailed in winning their second straight title and what would end up being 3 in 4 years. They were carried in part by a 14-inning, 1-run performance from their young lefty hurler.

It was too much for the Dodgers, and despite their dapper uniforms, they went down in 5.

(I’m making a request for more old time baseball photos. Thanks bawfuls for grabbing all of the photos and facts for the OP)

Fast forward to this year, and here’s what we’re looking at going into this series.

Boston dominated the AL East, winning 108 games. Los Angeles, however, needed 163 to win 92. Some would say the latter are underdogs.

If you don't have a horse in this race, or you don’t absolute hate either team with every fiber of your being, it should still be an interesting time. Let’s have a great series!

Series Schedule: (All times in Eastern)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I like this underdog Thang

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
My good friend Puig is playing in this game, sure hope he does well.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
Wait, why did the Red Sox use Braves Field as their home field for the 1916 World Series?

Also, go Dodgers I guess.

e: Looking up the 1915 World Series, apparently they used Braves Field in the 1915/1916 WS because of its higher seating capacity. That makes sense.

Squall fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 23, 2018

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
So stoked!! All my baseball pals hate me for cheering on someone else in the AL East!!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Squall posted:

Wait, why did the Red Sox use Braves Field as their home field for the 1916 World Series?

Also, go Dodgers I guess.
Because it held ~10,000 more people than Fenway, and in that era gate receipts were the primary revenue source by a wide margin. In 1916 television didn't exist, and the first baseball radio broadcast was still 5 years away.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It’s loving pouring at Fenway right now. Lightning too

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

get your poo poo together, dumb east coast city! :argh:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Anyone give me 10-1 Puig does something so unsportsmanlike a 70 year old writer strokes out frothing?

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Anyone give me 10-1 Puig does something so unsportsmanlike a 70 year old writer strokes out frothing?

Does it count if it is a Peter Gammons tweet which is indistinguishable from a stroke?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I just hope we get a good series because I have a sinking feeling that the Red Sox are going to just win in 5.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

let's go Dodgers, don't embarrass yourselves and get swept or lose in 5

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

My boy Rod has the token Dodgers pick

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
what time is actual first pitch?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

5:09

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

Let's go Sox. Hope it's a good series.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Oh nice, a moment of silence for John Martin.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

lazer targeting baseball's core demographic

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

James Taylor: Still Alive.

Serisothikos
Dec 4, 2004

Unlimited Pasta Pass
I appreciate James Taylor for doing the "hurry it up" hand motion.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I have to leave halfway through so hoping the game is effectively decided by then (ideally in favor of the Dodgers)

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
lol i honestly can't believe they got billy five aces to record that promo

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I want Kershaw to win a ring

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
There is no escape from The Smoltz

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

world series post

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

lol i honestly can't believe they got billy five aces to record that promo

I like that they had to use c1980's Raiders highlights to show Los Angeles' football greatness.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
i guess the radar is showing all clear on the horizon because on my way home from work 15 minutes ago, the lightning was so god drat bright it looked like daytime for a few seconds at a time

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

also I loving despise this narrative that the Red Sox are going up against a big bad villain in LA

Serisothikos
Dec 4, 2004

Unlimited Pasta Pass

Carlosologist posted:

also I loving despise this narrative that the Red Sox are going up against a big bad villain in LA

scrappy underdogs the boston red sox

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

joe buck pls die asap tia

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

Carlosologist posted:

yeah this weird fetish of pretending it's 2004 again every time the sox do good in the playoffs is pretty lame just objectively speaking.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Was that Little Pete in the crowd?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I missed it-- did they show Yaz throwing out the first pitch? If not, I hope they do at some point.

Serisothikos
Dec 4, 2004

Unlimited Pasta Pass
Khris Sale

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Boston is a scrappy up and comer.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

L G ??? V? 40 ThinQ???

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

FrensaGeran posted:

L G ??? V? 40 ThinQ???

they just keep adding suffixes to their latest phones and hoping nobody will notice

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
lol that RISP batting average :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serisothikos
Dec 4, 2004

Unlimited Pasta Pass
Just a reminder that no one who isn't otherwise obligated to should ever root for a Boston team

• Locked thread