Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I have to leave halfway through so hoping the game is effectively decided by then (ideally in favor of the Dodgers)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
There is no escape from The Smoltz

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
lol that RISP batting average :negative:

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
This is not ideal

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
The indelible influence of Craig Counsell

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Pancakes posted:

My Padres fan coworker is straight up cackling right now.

Padres fans need to find joy wherever they can I guess

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

what the gently caress is this segment in the booth?

They really dislike launch angles

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
When he's on, he can wipe you out- *Kemp home run*

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
You see, neutral SAS fans, rooting for the Dodgers means rooting against John Smoltz and his completely unnecessary crusade against new ideas infiltrating his precious game

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

eat loving poo poo LA

hey man chill we're all just chilling here

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

SilvergunSuperman posted:

His avg was 91.4 in the reg season but he's down to about that right now, starting to get in sketchy territory.

He also doesn't throw his curveball as often sometimes for whatever reason, which seems like an odd choice to make when your fastball/slider combo is less reliable

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

bawfuls posted:

I feel like Bellinger gets that ball but I am not sober so

He literally didn't try

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Kilonum posted:

Dodgers lucked into that GIDP

Thanks, Jeremy Jeffress

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Machadooooooooo

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Man shut up, John. I think the team that has scored 2 runs off Chris Sale and worked him up to 70 pitches by the third inning has a fairly decent approach.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

zapplez posted:

Is there any chance Manny re-signs with the dodgers or do they not have the payroll available?

We've reset the luxury tax counter so I expect us to be spending (unless the team gets sued and Andrew Friedman gets sent to prison or w/e)

However, they'd have to juggle some pieces to accommodate Machado with Seager coming back. Harper seems more likely.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Popete posted:

I think Smoltz wants Red Sox to win

I'm not sure how much of it is his appreciation of the Sox vs. his complete distaste for the Dodgers (which was on full display in the NLCS). Its probably a little of both.

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 24, 2018

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

i am not sure if you knew this or not but his name actually does not start with the letter K. just fyi

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I am here for 4 hours of John Smoltz and no other reason than that.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Tom Gorman posted:

i know bagwell, ewing, howie long and h. jon benjamin but i'm pretty sure the rest of those are just fake names you made up

u should probably know some of those other ppl

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
The narrative difference between how these guys talk about the Red Sox vs. how they talk about the Dodgers, the apparent afterthought in Boston's march to the championship, is just so obvious and dumb.

Like every single Red Sox factoid gets cast in a positively light whereas they focus on negative qualities of the Dodgers 9 times out of 10. E.g. David Price's considerable postseason ineptitude gets glossed over with a "well hopefully his most recent performance against the Astros puts all that talk to rest". They wouldn't dare beat that dead horse as much as they would the Kershaw thing.

At least give us some underdog glamorization, which you were more than happy to do for the Brewers and Braves and the last two series.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

bawfuls posted:

LOL like the broadcasts weren’t constantly jerking off the Red Sox in the lead up to 2004! They got the big underdog love and just a general tone of “well basically this team deserves it more” schlock.

Yeah this

There's just no sense at all of the broadcasters wanting this series to be actually competitive, which is also counterintuitive from a marketing perspective

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Zyla posted:

dodgers line up seems much, much less scary than yankees or astros

I would feel better if we were able to send the righty-mashing lineup out there in at least one of these first two games. Muncy, Bellinger, Pederson, plus Puig has those weird reverse platoon splits.

Also, Grandal having the yips and forcing us to play Barnes is kind of brutal.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
the red sox are pretty good at hitting baseballs with bats, a seemingly useful skill in this sport we all enjoy yet hate at the same time

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Yo Dave please play literally anybody other than Kiké

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
MY FRIEND

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I know that Yas was sucking earlier but how long are you going to punish the clearly superior player for having the yips

I feel you but its kinda scary playing a catcher who has a 50% chance of mishandling a ball in the dirt

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Also scary to put together an NL lineup when the other team doesn’t have to send a pitcher up to bat

I definitely don't disagree that it sucks to have to choose between a mediocre hitting catcher who can nonetheless catch the ball and an occasionally above-average hitting catcher who is a massive liability every time there's a runner on base in his current state

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Dozier has looked fine so this is kinda a silly nitpick

Also, the alternative would be Kiké, who.......yeah

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Zyla posted:

i shouldnt tell this to possibly antagonistic goons but the song i hate the most in life is benny and the jets

its so bad

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Popete posted:

Why are all these catchers terrible at keeping balls in front of them?

he prevented the runner from advancing actually so

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Sucks for Ryu, he looked locked in a few batters ago. Wheels started coming off fast there.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
gently caress

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
hey yo dave maybe the guy who blew it yesterday shouldn't be your high leverage guy today

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Here I am pining for Báez in the World Series

how is he not the guy there

how

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
yes, give the pitcher near the end of his pitch count an easy one pitch at-bat, cool

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Intruder posted:

He could potentially be popular with the ladies

seriously?

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
these mid-inning commercials are truly the loving worst

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
i'm pretty glad there's no game tonight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Yeah John, I'm not so sure as many people as you think forgot about JD Martinez playing outfield waaaaaaay back about a year ago

• Locked thread