Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Talk about whatever but the show must have some variant of "Slayer" in the name.

I played D&D recently so that made me start rewatching The Slayers. It's still good! One thing I didn't appreciate when I watched it as an "anime is serious art" teenager is just how much of a cartoon it is. Goofy animations, silly anime faces, giant sweatdrops, its all very comfortable and conversant in the language of animation and that 90's hand drawn charm just oozes from it. Lina is extremely fun and inspiring character and has a great approach to problem solving we would all do well to emulate. I hope the sequel series are just as good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

congrats to lina being immortalized as a dota character

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I have been watching it for the first time and it makes me feel cozy. I can't articulate exactly why, but it's aesthetic is nostalgic and I really like the characters and music.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
I just watched the first episode of Ninja Slayer From Animation. The Yeearts pretty good.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

RME posted:

congrats to lina being immortalized as a dota character

I like bringing up that piece of trivia every time someone plays Lina.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I approve of this pro-Slayers thread:

Party on. :)

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Slayers Next is my comfort food. It always manages to cheer me up when I feel down.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Slayers is a great series that brings nothing but smiles to my face. Hell yeah.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Let us also appreciate the royal family of Saillune.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Mulderman posted:

Slayers Next is my comfort food. It always manages to cheer me up when I feel down.

Cool, I just finished the original so that's up next for me. Gonna get comfy in the anime zone.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

Slayers is a great series that brings nothing but smiles to my face. Hell yeah.

All 5 season are pretty decent honestly. Out of curiosity, were the original novels it was based on ever translated and was there anything from them that still remains unadapted (that is, is there any chance of this series getting revived again one day)?

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

The first 8 novels were translated and released by Tokyopop
The other 7 however remain untranslated. With no plans on translating them.
You can find some fan translations online, but the quality of those leaves much to be desired.

On the plus side, the first 8 novels do wrap up the first story arc. So you at least get a complete story.

Slayers REVOLUTION and EVOLUTION-R adapted some of the material from the novels. But honestly, with a few clever changes they have enough material for a few more seasons.

Mulderman fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Oct 24, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mulderman posted:

The first 8 novels were translated and released by Tokyopop
The other 7 however remain untranslated. With no plans on translating them.
You can find some fan translations online, but the quality of those leaves much to be desired.

On the plus side, the first 8 novels do wrap up the first story arc. So you at least get a complete story.

Slayers REVOLUTION and EVOLUTION-R adapted some of the material from the novels. But honestly, with a few clever changes they have enough material for a few more seasons.

I think there was a Slayers manga as well if I recall correctly, was that any good/any different from the anime?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also, there's a new novel that came out for the main storyline, after 18 years.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

There's a bunch of manga. Most of them are short self contained stories.
You do have:
Super Explosive Demon Story Slayers which is an adaption of the first seasons/novels.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wark Say posted:

Also, there's a new novel that came out for the main storyline, after 18 years.

Nice, so this series isn't dead. Hope they make a new season one day in that case.

Speaking of which, were most of the 5 existing shows (and possibly the movies as well) adapted straight from the novels or was there a bit of original stuff thrown in here and there as well?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
There was at least one season that was completely anime-original (I think it did have Kanzaka's input, but it definitely wasn't part of the novels). I know for a fact that the blond dragon lady voiced by Houko Kuwashima is anime-original.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Pretty sure TRY (the third season) was completely original.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mulderman posted:

Pretty sure TRY (the third season) was completely original.

I believe that's the one where the aforementioned dragon lady comes from so that makes sense. Were the movies adapted from the novels as well? Speaking of the movies, they really should have found some excuse to introduce Naga into the series proper (though they sort of did in Revolution in kind of a roundabout way).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 24, 2018

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Best minion Jyllas is also from that season.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Movies are all original stuff, some of the manga series are based on the movies.

I like Naga, but I'm pretty sure she would get tiring for an entire season. She's best saved for one offs.

Jillas was great, especially because I didn't expect a seemingly simple character like that to get the development he did.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

do we get more weird fish guys

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mulderman posted:

Movies are all original stuff, some of the manga series are based on the movies.

I like Naga, but I'm pretty sure she would get tiring for an entire season. She's best saved for one offs.

Jillas was great, especially because I didn't expect a seemingly simple character like that to get the development he did.

Fair point but as I alluded to she did technically appear at least once in the main series (the suit of armor that temporally joins the group at the start of Revolution has her voice actress, mannerisms and is heavily implied to literally be Naga. Yet for some reason they deliberately avoid explicitly stating that).

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Funnily enough, the Special novels (the ones focusing on Lina & Naga's shenanigans previous to Lina running into Gourry) actually outlasted the main series for the longest time, numbering in a whopping 30 volumes (to the main series 15) and getting published up until 2008. I mean, sure: They were actually shorter in length than the main novels, but still.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

^
Important image

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
What exactly did Slayers do right that Lost Universe did so, so wrong?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Be funny

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
Is this the new Goblin Slayer thread?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Lina is a good girl.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Stink Billyums posted:

what are your thoughts on Goblin Slayer

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Give a Reason is still one of the best anime opening themes.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Super Jay Mann posted:

Lina is a good girl.

Lina is besto gal

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Dr Pepper posted:

:same:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Stink Billyums posted:

Someone else posted about Ninja Slayer so yeah, any Slayer anime is good to go. So go ahead and

Dr Pepper posted:

Give a Reason
as to why Goblin Slayer is good.

I'm watching it too, the campfire scene was funny, but given the reception to the last thread I will probably not post about it unprompted.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Dr Pepper posted:

can confirm. i still have all (all) the OSTs that I painstakingly downloading from the anime Napster server or purchased from Pop Culture, my local anime store in Dallas back in ~2002, and subsequently spent hours tagging and categorizing.

Crabtree posted:

idk but it ALSO had a fire OP. not even megumi hayashibara could save it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYl1a3DOc44

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Crabtree posted:

It didn't have crabs climbing on trees in it.

Mainly so horrendously cheap animation that it coined the term yashigani anime.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Getting your studio burned down probably didn't help either.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So I'm watching some of the old Legend of Heroes OAVs, starting off with Dragon Slayer. It's got a weird kind of Lodoss/BASTARD! like nostalgia to it with the added benefit of the 80s/early 90s dub's main character being named Serious. My side game is now counting all the times they actually say "Are you serious?!".

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If anyone here hasn't seen Slayers or wants to watch it again the entire series is available for free in both sub and dub formats on Funimation's YouTube channel (the first season as well as Revolution/Evolution-R is also on Crunchyroll as well but that could change before too long).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Larryb posted:

If anyone here hasn't seen Slayers or wants to watch it again the entire series is available for free in both sub and dub formats on Funimation's YouTube channel (the first season as well as Revolution/Evolution-R is also on Crunchyroll as well but that could change before too long).

All seasons are on crunchy, but for some reason it puts next/try as seasons two and three of Slayers but revolution as a separate entry.