Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Okay you can come to Telluride
E: pm me for home buying secrets
is the secret to have $5 million?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Spime Wrangler posted:

Yeah the nostalgia is real. I grew up in steamboat in the 90s and gently caress it was the good life.

There isn't even a quiet time in early Feb anymore

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

bawfuls posted:

is the secret to have $5 million?

It’s winning the lottery.

No, really, there are ways to increase your chances of getting drawn when they raffle off deed-restricted housing which is relatively affordable.

e: Last time I looked here there were a couple for just under 300 which is pretty good for a mountain town.

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 10, 2020

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Spime Wrangler posted:

Yeah the nostalgia is real. I grew up in steamboat in the 90s and gently caress it was the good life.

Guy I played drop-in hockey with who grew up there said Steamboat is a good place to be from.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

bawfuls posted:

I've got a question/thought experiment for this thread.

Lets say that my partner and I are looking at a 5-10 year plan to move to a ski town permanently (currently we're in SoCal). Where should we go? There are several criteria to help narrow down candidate locations:

-Distance from major metro areas, general mountain crowding. One major appeal of living in a ski town for us is NOT dealing with the weekend-warrior crowds like those at say, Mammoth. Sure you can try to generally ski weekdays and not weekends, but it be better to not have to deal with it. If we are strict on this it eliminates a lot of places: SLC, the I-70 corridor in CO, Tahoe, Mammoth, much of the PNW, etc.

-Affordability. The goal would be to move permanently and buy a home wherever we end up. Affordability is relative of course, but it means in a place like Jackson Hole or Aspen we'd be limited to small condos and priced out of any single family home. We're not trying to leave the big city so that we can live in a 600 sqft apartment.

-Size of the town/local industry. Small town life is part of the appeal, but if given the choice I'd prefer a local economy that isn't wholly dependent on the ski area (like Mammoth). This provides more buffer for long term employment flexibility (though the whole plan sort of assumes I can transition my current career into 100% remote work, which the pandemic is accelerating).

-Length of ski season/quality of the skiing. If I'm going to live somewhere I can ski nearly every day, I'd much rather have a resort with a 6 month season than a 3 month season.

-Year round/off season quality. Most ski towns are pretty great in the summer for mountain biking, hiking, etc so not sure how much this moves the needle.

As far as I can tell, the only American cities that check all these boxes are Bend, OR and Bozeman, MT. (maybe somewhere east of the Rockies but, c'mon now) There are surely some candidates in Canada but immigration presents additional hurdles.

Are there more I'm missing that I should consider? Can folks who live or have lived somewhere that violates some of my criteria offer some input on their importance? Am I over-emphasizing the importance of avoiding weekend crowds, or of having a long season, etc?

Come to Canada, move to Fernie/Kimberly/Invermere/Kamloops/Creston/Vernon/Kelowna

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

If you live downvalley from Aspen in Basalt or Carbondale it's pretty good. I've lived here for 3 years and I feel like it's where I want to be long term.

Granted I need a certain population for my business, otherwise powder highway or bfe idaho would own

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

Come to Canada, move to Fernie/Kimberly/Invermere/Kamloops/Creston/Vernon/Kelowna
It is definitely tempting IMO, but my assumption is immigration is difficult. Any insight on that front? I've read it is easier if you're under 40, which means we'd need to accelerate our timetable (I'm 35).

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

bawfuls posted:

It is definitely tempting IMO, but my assumption is immigration is difficult. Any insight on that front? I've read it is easier if you're under 40, which means we'd need to accelerate our timetable (I'm 35).

What industry do you work in? You said you were aiming for remote - if you're in tech it's easy enough to come across. Add Canmore to the list of possible towns to live in as well - we do get a decent amount of tourist traffic but it seldom actually feels busy in town or at the hill. Sunshine, Norquay, and Lake Louise are all easy drives with the former two being totally doable on a weekday if your work schedule is flexible. Hell, Sunshine is currently putting fiber in at the lodges so I may work up there much of the season.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I'm a mechanical engineer, more specifically into CFD and thermal analysis. I'm at a big company with a large R&D department (semiconductor industry) so I get to spend 100% of my time doing computer simulations of heat transfer and gas dynamics.

Traditionally mine is not a role that's remote, but the pandemic has demonstrated to my company and presumably many others that there's no reason it can't be. It is unlikely they'll ask anyone in my analysis group to come back to the office until some time next year, and even then maybe not. So my expectation is that I can eventually get approval to be WFH permanently. If that happens, I could see myself working here for decades. But even if not, enough experience in this role and I'd be well equipped to work remote doing similar analysis for any high tech engineering consulting firm.

My partner however is in sales and there is zero opportunity for her career path to become remote. But under the right circumstances we could be fine in a low-cost area on just my salary.

The most tempting mountains in Canada to me (from a skiing perspective) are like Fernie, Red, and Kicking Horse.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jul 10, 2020

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I have family in Sun Valley, ID who love skiing, hiking, fishing and golfing but that probably doesn’t tick the affordability box.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

bawfuls posted:

My understanding is that the bay area weekend influx in Tahoe has been getting truly insane in recent years. Would love to hear from Steve French (I think?) on Truckee life.

Yup, that's me. We moved to the area full time this past September, after spending a good bit of time on and off here for the last 10 years, primarily in Squaw Valley (met my wife at Squaw). Much of the time visiting was mid-week, as that's when we had a place to stay. We stayed in Squaw from September until we closed on our house mid-December, and have been in Truckee proper since then (~20 minute drive from Squaw without traffic).

My take on crowds is not fully informed because I don't and haven't spent most of my time skiing on weekends. That said, yeah, it gets crowded. I don't know how it compares to Mammoth or I-70 resorts. Personally, I think it is tolerable as long as you are flexible; I think the crowds are the worst for the people in them (traffic getting to and from the bay area, in and out of the resort, etc). If you are cool with, for example, hanging out at the resort for a bit rather than trying to get out right at 3:30 on Sunday as everyone else is trying to get the hell back to the city, that lessens a lot of the pain.

In terms of the actual skiing, again speaking mostly for Squaw, a weekend powder day will be a zoo. Realistically so will a mid-week one, but most of the time it's concentrated at whatever lift just opened fresh terrain. Again, I haven't done a lot of weekend skiing lately partially because of lodging and partially because of two small kids: I have day care during the week, not on weekends. I think the large number of ski areas helps.

Not terribly representative as it was early season, but this was a Sunday with some fresh snow, totally tolerable crowds https://www.strava.com/activities/2920897355/

Honestly I think you'd have to gauge for yourself by visiting, if that's feasible before you make any sort of decision. Lots of locals will also just go for backcountry on weekends.

Beyond just skiing, I love living here. There are neighborhoods well isolated from the touristiness, and I only notice weekend crowds when I go to the same places that tourists/weekend warriors go; outside of skiing there's a vast amount of stuff to do here incredibly nearby, and not nearly enough people even with visitors to make it all crowded. I've been doing a lot of mountain biking recently and even the popular trails are relatively empty. Truckee itself is a big enough town to not feel tiny and empty and rural, but small enough that it feels like a real community. Reno is decent sized and not far away for the sorts of things you might otherwise give up moving to a mountain town (...costco...?).

It's not cheap. But it's a lot cheaper than the bay area. Was, anyway, when I moved here; there's a massive influx of real estate interest with so many companies becoming remote friendly; the real estate value trends are not yet clear as it's taking a while for things to actually sell and close because of all the restrictions, but it's going to change.

Ultimately for us it's been great, I love it, but also see how it's not for everyone. Proximity to the bay area was a plus for us, as we have roots there and it makes it easier to see friends from there. Happy to answer any specific questions or have a separate conversation off the forum if you'd seriously consider it, that might be more helpful than my aimless rambling.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Golden and Fernie are quite cheap and you’d be able to live well there based on solely your salary I’d wager. Immigration will be tricky if you don’t have a company to sponsor you, is my best guess. Depending on what your savings look like you might be able to do an investment visa but that would be a large chunk of most people’s savings.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Perhaps it would be easier to change out the requirement for "No large weekend crowds" with finding a job that has the days off midweek, or allows some sort of flex schedule during parts of the year.

Bend, Oregon, is nice enough and Mt. Bachelor certainly does have a lot of terrain to it, catering to all experience levels. Bend is also a big enough town to have a small airport, which is a big plus, but is basically in the middle of rural Oregon. So if you want to see a show/concert, etc... then there will be a lot of travel involved. Oregon has a 10% income tax as well, which is something to keep in mind. The few times I have been to Bachelor on the weekends it has been very crowded, but this is purely anecdotal to me, I don't necessarily know if this is always the case.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

From a cursory glance, the amount of money we've targeted for a down payment on a home here in SoCal would be enough to almost buy a home outright in a place like Golden. I don't know if that would help the immigration at all, it looks like the investment visas are all based on starting a business in Canada.

edit: Crowds/proximity to a large metro is the most limiting criteria of course. This is a long term goal so I'm sure our thinking on it will evolve over time. Coming from CA, state income tax in OR is not particularly intimidating. I have only skied Bachelor once, and it was probably 20 years ago, but it has a lot of similarities to Mammoth (broad volcanic mountain, windy, typically long and excellent spring, etc). I'd be shocked if the weekends were as busy as Mammoth, but then again Bend is 100,000 people.

I'm fascinated by Bozeman and Bridger Bowl. It is one of the only places I've been thinking about here that I have never visited. There's a state university there which I'd assume is a positive influence on the culture, and Bridger is a skier-owned cooperative which is cool as gently caress.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 10, 2020

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

The airport is in Redmond and Bend is big enough that most acts playing midsized venues visit. The Les Schwanb Amphitheater has major acts all summer long.

With all that said, Bend ain’t it. It’s only affordable if you’re moving from California and Bachelor gets packed on weekends.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

bawfuls posted:

It is very difficult if you are over 30 and don't have a province/company backing you. My friends (37 now) who own a place in Kalso have been going through the process for 3 years and barely have enough points. They had final interviews March 9th... oh wait. Most likely they still were only going to get in for 2 years and he was going to have to sign up for classes at the community college or something like it in Nelson. Your profession seems to matter a lot. Medical field and you have a much better chance. Younger the better. You might get in or things might change but hard to say.

The other thing about staying with your company is the tax implications of you working remote and in another country. That can get all kinds of tricky and they may not be down with it (or a state they don't operate in even).

bawfuls posted:

From a cursory glance, the amount of money we've targeted for a down payment on a home here in SoCal would be enough to almost buy a home outright in a place like Golden. I don't know if that would help the immigration at all, it looks like the investment visas are all based on starting a business in Canada.

According to my buddy owning property already in Canada while trying to immigrate has been a mark against them.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sounds like Canada is pretty difficult as I suspected.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Even moving states can be an obstacle for your employer if they don't already employ anyone in the state you're moving to. One of the first logistical questions when I went remote was whether I was going to the CA or NV side of the lake, for that reason.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Some employers, notably Amazon with CO, UT and IL when I worked for them, will not let you do _any_ work for them in certain states for tax liability reasons. So moving states while remote can range from “it’s a cost of living adjustment because gently caress you” to “impossible to swing”

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That’s not something I anticipated good to know. I will have to do some research on it.

My employer is based in Europe and has US operations in a handful of states (but definitely not UT/CO/OR/MT/WY)

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 10, 2020

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

bawfuls posted:

vOv

I got my citizenship nearly two decades ago boosted by being married to a Canadian so I'm not the right person to ask for how difficult things are right now, but normally being young professionals get you scads of points. One student and his wife have applied for PR (permanent resident status), an incoming student and her dad just activated theirs (mom is a citizen), so the system is operating right now. There are probably online surveys you can use to do a first pass at getting an idea of what you are in for. But we are an immigration positive country so who knows, go for it! The only thing you have to lose is your employer tied health care.

Apply now, see what happens. Paperwork still takes time so it won't have to be an immediate decision for you. At the worst you will be out the application fee.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

What industry do you work in? You said you were aiming for remote - if you're in tech it's easy enough to come across. Add Canmore to the list of possible towns to live in as well - we do get a decent amount of tourist traffic but it seldom actually feels busy in town or at the hill. Sunshine, Norquay, and Lake Louise are all easy drives with the former two being totally doable on a weekday if your work schedule is flexible. Hell, Sunshine is currently putting fiber in at the lodges so I may work up there much of the season.

AND FORTRESS IS COMING

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

luminalflux posted:

Some employers, notably Amazon with CO, UT and IL when I worked for them, will not let you do _any_ work for them in certain states for tax liability reasons. So moving states while remote can range from “it’s a cost of living adjustment because gently caress you” to “impossible to swing”

gently caress capital

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Bilirubin posted:

vOv

I got my citizenship nearly two decades ago boosted by being married to a Canadian so I'm not the right person to ask for how difficult things are right now, but normally being young professionals get you scads of points. One student and his wife have applied for PR (permanent resident status), an incoming student and her dad just activated theirs (mom is a citizen), so the system is operating right now. There are probably online surveys you can use to do a first pass at getting an idea of what you are in for. But we are an immigration positive country so who knows, go for it! The only thing you have to lose is your employer tied health care.

Apply now, see what happens. Paperwork still takes time so it won't have to be an immediate decision for you. At the worst you will be out the application fee.

Agree that they should apply if they want to see but my friends who are doing this started at 35 and it has been very tough. in my long conversations about the process while skinning with him "Young Professional" means being 25. I could be completely wrong obviously and he breezes in but just think he should be realistic.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

For the first time it occurred to me: I think this upcoming season could be very bad for avalanche fatalities.

Not sure how to help that other than banging the “safety equipment and training” drum as often as possible.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

The easiest route is a job with work-permit, work a few years, apply for PR. It will tie you down to a specific workplace for a couple of years. Also spouses will piggyback on your work permit, with no restrictions.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Dangerllama posted:

For the first time it occurred to me: I think this upcoming season could be very bad for avalanche fatalities.

Not sure how to help that other than banging the “safety equipment and training” drum as often as possible.

Yup. I am ready for my spots to be complete poo poo shows. I am already working on new locations off the beaten path. I am very concerned by who will be out there doing what. I don't even want to be close to some people I am guessing.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

spwrozek posted:

As a Tech alum I do love the UP. I don't think this is the right choice though if you are truly looking for mountains. It is cheap, good skiing but not the west, amazing biking though.

Wanted to follow up on this: you're totally right. Not the place for mountains. But I wanted to throw it out there because when some people think about moving to a ski town they don't necessarily just want easy ski access, but the small-town outdoor-adventure lifestyle in general. Things like backdoor access to adventure hobbies, a legitimately slower pace of life, and lower cost of living than the city. If the big-resort ski access is more negotiable than the lifestyle and money factors the UP is a contender. Otherwise not.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Spime Wrangler posted:

Wanted to follow up on this: you're totally right. Not the place for mountains. But I wanted to throw it out there because when some people think about moving to a ski town they don't necessarily just want easy ski access, but the small-town outdoor-adventure lifestyle in general. Things like backdoor access to adventure hobbies, a legitimately slower pace of life, and lower cost of living than the city. If the big-resort ski access is more negotiable than the lifestyle and money factors the UP is a contender. Otherwise not.

Oh yeah man, totally agree with you. If we could just double stack the vert on the peninsula...

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I've always been intrigued by Mt Bohemia, but never actually made it there, even when I lived in Madison for 5 years. It's such a pain on the rear end to get to, and if I'm going to put in that much effort, why not ski out west?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Residency Evil posted:

I've always been intrigued by Mt Bohemia, but never actually made it there, even when I lived in Madison for 5 years. It's such a pain on the rear end to get to, and if I'm going to put in that much effort, why not ski out west?

It is a cool vibe and usually has some great powder. Honestly I would never drive there from further than Houghton unless you know it is going to nuke. It is a real mountain though, with real glades, just don't expect to steep lines. If you are say 6-8 hours away it is worth getting there on a powder weekend, staying at one of the cabins, and just partying.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
I've been doing a little bit of skiing for the past few years and I want to do more this coming winter. So far I have been renting skis and boots each time and I am tired of doing this. It's expensive, it takes a bunch of time, and if I own gear then it'll be easier to go more often. That said I'm still not a great skier so I'd prefer not to spend more money than I have to. What's the best way to buy a cheap set up for the ski resort?

My thought was to spend a little bit more on boots and get new ones, see if I can find them on sale from a shop somewhere, but it seems like inventory at places is pretty thin here in the summer and obviously not much will be on sale in fall when people are stocking up for winter. For the skis, I was thinking craigslist. I'm in Seattle so we have plenty of skiers here and stuff pops up. Is it dumb to just buy whatever is cheap and looks in decent shape, is it worth it to spend a couple hundred more bucks? Any advice here?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Craigslist stuff is fine for cheap beater skis that will last you a season or two until you have a better idea of what you want. Craigslist boots are definitely more hit or miss (and usually miss), and poorly fitting boots will either gently caress up your feet, or gently caress up your skill development.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I want to do this some day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukYvgIwWBBc

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

gohuskies posted:

I've been doing a little bit of skiing for the past few years and I want to do more this coming winter. So far I have been renting skis and boots each time and I am tired of doing this. It's expensive, it takes a bunch of time, and if I own gear then it'll be easier to go more often. That said I'm still not a great skier so I'd prefer not to spend more money than I have to. What's the best way to buy a cheap set up for the ski resort?

My thought was to spend a little bit more on boots and get new ones, see if I can find them on sale from a shop somewhere, but it seems like inventory at places is pretty thin here in the summer and obviously not much will be on sale in fall when people are stocking up for winter. For the skis, I was thinking craigslist. I'm in Seattle so we have plenty of skiers here and stuff pops up. Is it dumb to just buy whatever is cheap and looks in decent shape, is it worth it to spend a couple hundred more bucks? Any advice here?

Ante is right, you want to go to a good bootfitter for the boots. Skis get a beater pair from Craigslist until you're better/know what you want more.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

ante posted:

Craigslist stuff is fine for cheap beater skis that will last you a season or two until you have a better idea of what you want. Craigslist boots are definitely more hit or miss (and usually miss), and poorly fitting boots will either gently caress up your feet, or gently caress up your skill development.

Thanks, that's kind of what I expected and sounds like the plan to go with. Good to have it confirmed.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
You might also want to check out if your area has any ski swaps (in upstate NY around me, they're all in September / October) as you can snag a decent pair for cheap (as well as other various pieces of equipment you might want).

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

You might want to try and do a season rental, Christy sports does one in Colorado and SLC area, linked here for convenience. It might be worth checking out if other places nearby you have season adult rentals. That way if there are fit issues or whatnot you won't be burned.

https://christysports.com/season-rental/

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I would also caution against expectations of major resorts opening fully this winter in the US. Your small local hill might be able to survive on just lift tickets and sparse skiers, but the big places all require high density holidays with tons of people packed into the lodge paying for overpriced food and booze to maintain their bottom line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
crossposting this fuckin thing

https://twitter.com/hadiya_afzal/status/1282756007068938241?s=21