Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Yeah Telluride’s brain genius plan to keep people safe from COVID is just to raise pass prices significantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Bilirubin posted:

The Birchwood is nice, and the sushi restaurant...and the Blue Dog Cafe? Also the pizza place has vegan cheese...ok I'm done. I'm sure the faux german haus dining up on the highway is ok but my wife can't eat just spaetzle

But they have a Fields which is, I mean, they have a Fields!

We usually do one or two day strikes there each year but we are avoiding entering BC during this plague. We did venture into Kootenay NP for a picnic this week but on our way back a Harley driver lost control on the 93 and tried to head on us (just barely missed them to driver's right by inches from our mirror) and they ditched so we helped with first aid and waited for EMS and RCMP from Invermere. They ultimately called in STARS from Calgary (rider is ok, with a concussion but nothing else). So that was a thing that happened that I am still processing.

poo poo, I'm really glad that rider is going to be ok, and I hope you get some help if you need it. It's hard to see things like that and be involved, even if you weren't actually involved but just close to it.

But yeah, Kimberley has way better restaurants. I literally dream of the bacon carbonara at Pedal and Tap, and their mucked up fries, and the woodfire pizza place is really good, too. Plus the bakery is amazing, and they have the coffee shop/bookstore combo that does ok coffee but has the best atmosphere to work at. Invermere is ok, but it's mostly really decent small-town interior of BC that's a couple steps up from Tim's quality stuff. Kimberley has legitimate big-city foodie options which is really weird because Kimberley as a town is the opposite of that lol. I really like the Fuze place in Inveremere that does burritos and smoothies.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Well I got my epic local pass... Here is to it snowing and me using it at least 10 days.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

getting 2 more days in this weekend. temps are 6-12C each day here so definitely the last time I will be on 'snow' this year, but worth squeezing in one more weekend to maximise the value from my Epic Pass.

Pretty funny that the year of a global pandemic and lackluster snowfall also happens to be the year I spent the most time on the snow in a single year/season but hey whatever I will take it.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Sunshine has released their COVID measures and it's... underwhelming at best. It's going to be an absolute gong show just like the end of last season was: https://www.skibanff.com/explore/news-blog/operational-guidelines-202021-winter-season.

- No reservations
- Still running gondola/lifts at full capacity
- Mandatory face coverings in lift lines/gondola

Based on how enforcement of distancing in the lines went last year I have absolutely no faith that people are going to take this seriously. Guess I'll only be going on weekdays and avoiding time around the holidays entirely, what a disappointment.

quote:

We will have new signage installed at the entrance to the parking lot that encourages all guests to self-regulate social distancing when in the parking lot. We encourage guests to slow down when arriving at our base area to spread out when booting up.

You tried this last year and it didn't work!

dox
Mar 4, 2006
Partner landed a job and we're moving to Steamboat, could not be more excited! Now onto the next challenge... finding housing.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

dox posted:

Partner landed a job and we're moving to Steamboat, could not be more excited! Now onto the next challenge... finding housing.

Nice. Welcome to Colorado. It snowed yesterday.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Was just in Steamboat two weekends ago and I really like it there. Going back in a few for more MTB. Enjoy!

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Hell yeah, congrats! Living close to a good mountain is life changing

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Epic Australia pass just got announced at $849 for early bird ($49 deposit by end of sept)

2020 season pass price was $699 early bird.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

In my mind I am trying to figure out how much more I would be willing to pay/have skiing cost in order to reduce the crowds, but it just seems like there are too many rich assholes to ever make that balance board shift.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I wouldnt mind paying the additional money vs this season if it meant the crowds were llike this year, yeah.

but you just know that they will be fully expecting the pandemic to be gone or winding down within a year (or at least they are very optimistic it will be) and selling as many day passes as they can and running at maximum capacity.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

A reasonable fear might be that a lot of the people going out might not be taking any precautions at all. So we end up with ski resorts full of rich assholes not taking any precautions who will pull their mask down as soon as the chairlift leaves the station to tell you what bullshit Covid is, right before they have a sneezing fit.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I bought a place so I live in Whistler forever now.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

HookShot posted:

Ooooh, congrats!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Ooooh, congrats!

Thanks! I am very sore from painting all day yesterday.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Laserface posted:

Epic Australia pass just got announced at $849 for early bird ($49 deposit by end of sept)

2020 season pass price was $699 early bird.

Bummer. We had a $30 increase this year for Epic Local ($669 to $729). I am probably good up to $1K but with less and less resort skiing I do... hard to know.

HookShot posted:

Congrats. Although now you are locked into Vail forever....

asur
Dec 28, 2012

IncredibleIgloo posted:

In my mind I am trying to figure out how much more I would be willing to pay/have skiing cost in order to reduce the crowds, but it just seems like there are too many rich assholes to ever make that balance board shift.

The amount some people are willing to pay is absolutely insane. The Mammoth black pass that allows access to the ski school line is $10k and people routinely pay for private lessons to get access to that line.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

spwrozek posted:

Congrats. Although now you are locked into Vail forever....
There are rumours Vail is looking to sell that I really hope are true!

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

I think they’re going to jack up tickets here to like $170, get rid of multi day passes, and jack up season pass prices because they think it’ll reduce the number of people on the mountain, which was never a problem in the first place. But rich people gonna rich no matter what they do.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

HookShot posted:

Congratulations! That is great! Whistler seemed like a really neat place when I visited, I imagine it would be really awesome to live there.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

HookShot posted:

There are rumours Vail is looking to sell that I really hope are true!

I would expect more consolidation not less. But with only 1 resort in Canada I could see it happen.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Congratulations! That is great! Whistler seemed like a really neat place when I visited, I imagine it would be really awesome to live there.

Thanks, yeah I’ve lived here for seven years now and it’s pretty awesome, I love it.

spwrozek posted:

I would expect more consolidation not less. But with only 1 resort in Canada I could see it happen.

Yeah, rumour is with the US border closed and so much of Vail’s customer base being American they’ve found a downside to having the one property in Canada and want to dump it. But of course it’s all just speculation at this point.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Seems crazy to dump Whistler over the COVID situation. For one, they'd surely have to eat a loss if they did so right now. And from a corporate perspective the pandemic is no doubt viewed as a short term problem, not a permanent new normal.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

dox posted:

I've been there the last 5 years, let me know if you have any questions.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Although I'm eyeing a job in Aspen. Fffff

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

My son very much wants to go back to Whistler to get ice cream from Cows, along with some more shirts.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

So the Epic Aus pass isnt such a bad deal. it was $699 this time last year, and is $849 now.

however this year they are including epic protection (job loss, covid closures, essentially pass insurance) as compulsory so the price has really only gone up $40 over last year.

does not include ski tube (shuttle train for the non-AWD havers) access (up 40% from last year)

so its not that bad except you cant opt-out of the pass protection like you normally could.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Disinterested posted:

Although I'm eyeing a job in Aspen. Fffff

Doubt housing here is any worse than Steamboat. You can live downvalley in actually cool little towns and take a really well-developed bus system into Aspen.

That said, if you don't have kids I can make money off of, please stay away to keep housing prices just that much lower

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Sunshine has released their COVID measures and it's... underwhelming at best. It's going to be an absolute gong show just like the end of last season was: https://www.skibanff.com/explore/news-blog/operational-guidelines-202021-winter-season.

- No reservations
- Still running gondola/lifts at full capacity
- Mandatory face coverings in lift lines/gondola

Based on how enforcement of distancing in the lines went last year I have absolutely no faith that people are going to take this seriously. Guess I'll only be going on weekdays and avoiding time around the holidays entirely, what a disappointment.

You tried this last year and it didn't work!

UGH

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

HookShot posted:

Congrats

Expect a call at some point :D

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

IncredibleIgloo posted:

My son very much wants to go back to Whistler to get ice cream from Cows, along with some more shirts.

lol just come to Banff

Or Charlottetown I guess

(its fuckin COWS man)

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Bilirubin posted:

lol just come to Banff

Or Charlottetown I guess

(its fuckin COWS man)

With the border closed I can't unfortunately. Although I was able to order some shirts online!

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Our small independently owned resort here will be limiting day passes/day trippers so season pass holders will always get first priority and when they reach capacity then no more day passes.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Eejit posted:

Doubt housing here is any worse than Steamboat. You can live downvalley in actually cool little towns and take a really well-developed bus system into Aspen.

That said, if you don't have kids I can make money off of, please stay away to keep housing prices just that much lower

I think in general it's only a little more expensive, but I've been living 3 minutes walk from the mountain for the last 5 years, which has made me extremely lazy.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

This just seems like a sensationally bad idea. This won't fly in CO because the governor will just shut us down, aren't they concerned about a similar level of oversight?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Disinterested posted:

This just seems like a sensationally bad idea. This won't fly in CO because the governor will just shut us down, aren't they concerned about a similar level of oversight?

They should be given their relationship with Parks Canada.

Hopefully Louise will be more sensible.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

With the border closed I can't unfortunately. Although I was able to order some shirts online!

Yeah of course sorry got carried away with enthusiastic posting last night. Now I want ice cream.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

My buddy I ski with in Canada had to come back to the states a few weeks ago so he is effectively locked out of his house and stuff up there. He doesn't think the border will reopen this ski season. So much so that he brought all his ski gear back to Spokane and just purchased a snowmobile in Seattle to use in the states this winter. He is planning on being in eastern Washington, Idaho, and Montana (he lives in Minneapolis). I am pretty sure he has a snowmobile purchasing problem.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Disinterested posted:

I mean, not with the current provincial government here. But who knows if parks Canada will shut them down.

Bilirubin posted:

They should be given their relationship with Parks Canada.

Hopefully Louise will be more sensible.

Louise and Sunshine have just been playing chicken with announcing first according to a friend of ours who works there. I imagine they’ll follow suit pretty closely.