Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

spwrozek posted:

I honestly don't have good advice but if you can't ski every weekday at Beaver Creek while you are here (you can book days I think 1-2 weeks out) I will be shocked. Even on a giant powder day on the weekend Beaver Creek is pretty dead. I woudln't be too worried. Do you have touring gear? you would be all set if you do.

What dates will you be here? that will probably influence my answer. I am not sure I will book any days right away. My plan is to ski the resort on Mondays.

Yeah, I figured with my edit. Makes a ton of sense though if you wait until the last minute.

Good news for you is that the border is going to be closed all winter so I would expect Whistler is pretty chill this year. Basing this on our numbers not getting better and them just doing a two month extension on the closure.

Ok, this makes me feel a lot better. As for dates, we should be arriving on the 1st of February, and then driving home on the 28th. I am somewhat hoping my local school district is still doing online school, because if that is the case my son can come with me and that might influence my picks. If he comes he will have to do school everyday from 9-1 or so online, but we are 200 feet from the Beaver Creek gondola that he should still have enough time to get an hour or two of turns in during the weekdays, but would probably want to secure some days for his weekend. If he doesn't come it will be just me and I am fine not to ski weekends when it is busy out and have those be my rest days, so in that particular case the reservation worries have a bit more play to them.

I am not quite good enough (skill and physical) for touring yet, will have to save that for sometime in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Ok, this makes me feel a lot better. As for dates, we should be arriving on the 1st of February, and then driving home on the 28th. I am somewhat hoping my local school district is still doing online school, because if that is the case my son can come with me and that might influence my picks. If he comes he will have to do school everyday from 9-1 or so online, but we are 200 feet from the Beaver Creek gondola that he should still have enough time to get an hour or two of turns in during the weekdays, but would probably want to secure some days for his weekend. If he doesn't come it will be just me and I am fine not to ski weekends when it is busy out and have those be my rest days, so in that particular case the reservation worries have a bit more play to them.

I am not quite good enough (skill and physical) for touring yet, will have to save that for sometime in the future.

I feel like the kid question makes it tricky. You probably will want to lock in the weekends in case he does come. You will probably be able to ski all during the week no problem (worst case you have the option of Beaver Creek, Vail, Breck, and Keystone). I would be really surprised if you didn't get 20 days in or so. You are also past the big holidays and before spring break so I would expect more local/Denver people (but also who the gently caress knows).

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Making things even more complicated, Epic now says they might drop the reservation system mid season. https://theknow.denverpost.com/2020/09/18/vail-resorts-reservations-2020-2021-season/245586/

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
So my Epic pass was scheduled to Auto-renew on the 15th, which it did, only instead of charging the credit card on my account they charged an old credit card that's now been cancelled and hasn't been linked to that account in months.

I call them to change the card number and I just immediately get hung up on. Great work, thanks Vail!

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Putting half the US ski industry in that basket probably not the best thing that could have happened.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I loving hate Vail so much and you have no idea how much I hope they sell the resort to someone--anyone--else. I would literally rather the CEO of this mountain be a traffic cone that's been run over a bunch of times than Rob Katz.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

HookShot posted:

I loving hate Vail so much and you have no idea how much I hope they sell the resort to someone--anyone--else. I would literally rather the CEO of this mountain be a traffic cone that's been run over a bunch of times than Rob Katz.

I hear Pano is shopping for more resorts ;)

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

HookShot posted:

So my Epic pass was scheduled to Auto-renew on the 15th, which it did, only instead of charging the credit card on my account they charged an old credit card that's now been cancelled and hasn't been linked to that account in months.

I call them to change the card number and I just immediately get hung up on. Great work, thanks Vail!

Yeah, I don't trust them with things like that. I had a CC linked to my pass to buy some overpriced mountain drinks and every time I tried to use it, it didn't work.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Bilirubin posted:

I hear Pano is shopping for more resorts ;)

Lol do you really think Pano can afford more than like Mt Baldy?

I ended up physically going to guest services and changing it there so let’s hope it’s right now!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Ended up buying an Epic Local pass for me/my wife. The passes end up being $420 each (lol) with the discount, so it was hard to pass that up.

Worst case I guess we'll ski at Stowe for a week?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I got an Epic Australia pass for 2021.

hoping our government lets us depart as tourists sometime before the northern hemisphere season is done. Finland might work.

otherwise i guess I just hold out hope that the world is somewhat saner come winter NH 21 and i can get back to niseko or BC.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

https://twitter.com/liftblog/status/1309223048059314176

Gee I wonder if gating access while boosting sales could backfire.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

its going to be such a poo poo show this year

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

I think Vail isn't going to give a poo poo what they do to the guests this year, just suck in every dollar to sure up against their huge losses last season and hope everyone writes it off to it just being a rough year because of covid.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Because I'm in negotiations with multiple resorts on handling ski race season, I've learned a lot more about the approach for this coming season for the mountains in the Northeast. There are a lot of plans but no one is sure what's going to happen. It's gonna be a merciless shitshow. Reservations, numerical limits, temp scanning, limited lodge access, etc. This doesn't even get to the question of cross state mandatory quarantines which I'm certain will be violated.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Yuns posted:

This doesn't even get to the question of cross state mandatory quarantines which I'm certain will be violated.
I'm really curious if Vermont are going to change their travel restrictions going into ski season as yeah, a 14 day quarantine when entering Vermont if you're coming from NJ, Mass, NYC, Penn, is going to be impossible for people to hit.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

drat Aspen Ski Co making Vail look like saints. Talk about being not great to the locals who run all the poo poo to make it possible. The weekday only pass is not as horrible (still $1000) but man. The unlimited going up $320 though....

https://www.aspentimes.com/news/asp...sh_notification

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Yuns posted:

Because I'm in negotiations with multiple resorts on handling ski race season, I've learned a lot more about the approach for this coming season for the mountains in the Northeast. There are a lot of plans but no one is sure what's going to happen. It's gonna be a merciless shitshow. Reservations, numerical limits, temp scanning, limited lodge access, etc. This doesn't even get to the question of cross state mandatory quarantines which I'm certain will be violated.

We’re working on a plan to let schools/teams have freeride clubs, but aren’t planning on having a competition season. I can’t imagine trying this is the NE with all the different jurisdictions.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

spwrozek posted:

drat Aspen Ski Co making Vail look like saints. Talk about being not great to the locals who run all the poo poo to make it possible. The weekday only pass is not as horrible (still $1000) but man. The unlimited going up $320 though....

https://www.aspentimes.com/news/asp...sh_notification

I dunno, what Aspen is doing here makes a lot more sense to me than what Vail is doing. It's kind of a hedge between 'we don't want to have a totally unlimited product this season' and 'we think having a reservation system will be very hosed up'.

I think the reality is though nobody is going to be able to ski every day no matter how much they want to this season, in bounds. I feel like they should be finding a way to make it more flexible for the locals though.

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Sep 25, 2020

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Disinterested posted:

I dunno, what Aspen is doing here makes a lot more sense to me than what Vail is doing. It's kind of a hedge between 'we don't want to have a totally unlimited product this season' and 'we think having a reservation system will be very hosed up'.

I think the reality is though nobody is going to be able to ski every day no matter how much they want to this season, in bounds. I feel like they should be finding a way to make it more flexible for the locals though.

Fair points. I guess I would rather see the out of towners pay more which helps limit travel during the current pandemic than put that on the locals.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

How is local eligibility determined for the local pass, just a local address? That seems like a difficulty in Aspen, where a not insignificant number of rich people own a second (or third or whatever) home.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
There are a handful of long out of business ski resorts in my state. I suspect I'm going to be doing some illegal hiking there if we have enough natural snow this season just to get some extra turns in.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

bawfuls posted:

How is local eligibility determined for the local pass, just a local address? That seems like a difficulty in Aspen, where a not insignificant number of rich people own a second (or third or whatever) home.

It is tied to your place of work being part of the chamber of commerce if I recall correctly. Eejit would know since his business is part of this whole deal.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That makes a bit more sense

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

spwrozek posted:

It is tied to your place of work being part of the chamber of commerce if I recall correctly. Eejit would know since his business is part of this whole deal.

That's for the chamber passes. You don't have to be a chamber member to get the new local "Valley" Aspen passes this year, it's tied to your address. You need to show ID with a RFV address so theoretically second/third/seventh homeowners won't qualify or will at least have to jump through some hoops.

The chamber premier pass (which is what Eejit and I and most serious local skiers get) went up $320 but we also got a $150 credit since last season ended early. And they usually raise prices a bit each season. So overall not a huge hit. I'll take that over a reservation system any day... most of my skiing is spur of the moment quick laps these days, so a reservation system would suck in my particular case.

The weekend warriors get predictably screwed since they eliminated the one and two day per week passes. If you're a weekend skier you either get the 7 pack or have to shell out for a premier pass.

ironlung fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 26, 2020

das_bill
Sep 14, 2004
wookie ghost trouble

Laserface posted:

I got an Epic Australia pass for 2021.

hoping our government lets us depart as tourists sometime before the northern hemisphere season is done. Finland might work.

otherwise i guess I just hold out hope that the world is somewhat saner come winter NH 21 and i can get back to niseko or BC.

Aussies have always been pretty funny/cool ski people working at NA resorts and running into around the world at hostels and what no. Until I went skiing in hokkaido and every Aussie was like, "make sure you americans don't ruin Hokkaido this is our secret spot..."

Shut the gently caress up you don't even loving have snow or a ski culture. in fact our mtns in the PNW are further north in LATITUDE than hokkaido and we are 4,000 loving km closer. I highly recommend snow spraying the poo poo out of every poo poo skiing aussie in japan for these reasons.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

das_bill posted:

Aussies have always been pretty funny/cool ski people working at NA resorts and running into around the world at hostels and what no. Until I went skiing in hokkaido and every Aussie was like, "make sure you americans don't ruin Hokkaido this is our secret spot..."

Shut the gently caress up you don't even loving have snow or a ski culture. in fact our mtns in the PNW are further north in LATITUDE than hokkaido and we are 4,000 loving km closer. I highly recommend snow spraying the poo poo out of every poo poo skiing aussie in japan for these reasons.

what the gently caress is this

das_bill
Sep 14, 2004
wookie ghost trouble
my therapist told me to let go of my passive aggressive NW roots and just be a dick more often. I'm snow spraying all aussies as hard as I can this year for literally every one I met in japan telling me it was "theirs" and that people from other parts of the world are ruining it. WE ARE ALL LITERALLY JUST SKIING.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
You sound like kind of a dickhead hth

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I mean, I guess that is a plan, but have you considered treating other riders like humans?

das_bill
Sep 14, 2004
wookie ghost trouble
I was seriously taken aback by the amount of aussies who acted like anyone not from japan or australia had no right to be there. As someone who has taught skiing for a decade it made me real mad, since the point of skiing is to snow spray everyone equally around the world.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I'm in the capital of insanely aggro people and fist fighting as some of my prior posts have shown so by comparison every place I've been to outside of my home resort is filled with gentlemen and ladies.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

das_bill posted:

I was seriously taken aback by the amount of aussies who acted like anyone not from japan or australia had no right to be there. As someone who has taught skiing for a decade it made me real mad, since the point of skiing is to snow spray everyone equally around the world.

A lot of people we talked to in Japan did not like Aussies FWIW.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

das_bill posted:

Or just ski like a regular person instead of being an rear end in a top hat?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Australians going to another country and then complaining about foreigners is super on-brand for most Australians tbh

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

HookShot posted:

Australians going to another country and then complaining about foreigners is super on-brand for most Australians tbh

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Is now when I complain about out of towners?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Also my rear end does feel chafed a bit by the pass price increase. Even with the credit from last year, I wish they found some other way to incentivize spreading out and skiing weekdays.

Because like, 1650 or whatever I'm going to end up paying, is a lot of money. A lot. And it feels really unfair to the locals to foist a huge price increase on us while most of us are also still dealing with the economic fallout of Covid

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Eejit posted:

Is now when I complain about out of towners?

At least until October.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

HookShot posted:

I'm Australian and I complain about Australians where ever I find them on this planet. We always manage to ruin somewhere.