Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Yuns posted:

Just got back from weeknight ski race training. Our small resort has full lighting so we can run night training during the school week so the kids get 2 mandatory weekend days and 2 to 3 optional weeknights of training a week. I'm not sure if the kids realize how lucky they are that they can ski 4-5 days a week living in a non-mountain town.

Hah, I miss this. I grew up in a non mountain town skiing 6-7 days a week thanks to night skiing 10 miles away from home.

Now I live in a mountain town and there’s no night skiing. Mostly.

I’d kill for a Tahoe beer league

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Moey posted:

Yeah, a lot of the time I am too lazy to change lenses, so I just lean back and ride by feel.

This is why I just have 3 frames ready to go.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Steve French posted:

Hah, I miss this. I grew up in a non mountain town skiing 6-7 days a week thanks to night skiing 10 miles away from home.

Now I live in a mountain town and there’s no night skiing. Mostly.

I’d kill for a Tahoe beer league
I'm surprised that there isn't already a Tahoe beer league. Parallel slalom would be perfect for this.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

highme posted:

This is why I just have 3 frames ready to go.

Same, I'm too lazy to swap out my lenses so I just have different frames with different lenses in each.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Lens chat: put me down as a Zeal Polarized Photochromic zealot for life.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
I had a pair of those but they got super scratched up on a hut trip but they’re pretty good.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Woke up to 18 inches of snow in my front yard in SLC, no estimated opening for little cottonwood. Wouldn't be surprised if the canyon doesn't open at all today, Alta and Snowbird are still at maximum security interlodge.

Guessing my morning of PTO ain't gonna happen. Whoever is interlodged up there is gonna have an absolutely mindblowing day tomorrow.

HookShot posted:

Same, I'm too lazy to swap out my lenses so I just have different frames with different lenses in each.

I just buy new goggles every year or two and make sure to get ones with a bonus yellow or red lens, I use the mirrored lens until it gets too scratched and then swap to the low light lens and they become my storm goggles.

Every day I bring two pairs to the resort and just choose which to use. If it's not absolutely bluebird I usually end up on the low light pair.

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 17, 2021

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Poc Retinas with dark smoke or light orangey lenses for me. I haven't used the light ones in forever. Did end up on the hill quite late earlier this year and had to ski with the no goggles idiot option.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

yikes

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I've got these Dragon PXV goggles with the green ion lens, they're pretty great for every day use, haven't had a problem with seeing in low light so far. The thread has made me want to buy an extra yellow lens now though just in case.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

In my rush to get out of a zoom meeting and onto the top of Baldy today I was reminded that I am no longer 25 and stretching is important. But a really great day skiing solo.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Another northeast storm coming tomorrow with maybe 5-10" that we could definitely use.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Sofa king pumped for a few days at Vail!

Where I caught COVID almost exactly 1 year ago.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Hey Epic pass people, I have a question. Do you think the app accurately captures your vertical and chairlift rides for the day? I had what would be a record breaking day for me by my own count, roughly 36,000ft, but the app is saying only 29k or so and it definitely is saying less lift rides than I have had today. 29k would still be my second best day ever, so I am still very happy with how today went, but I like to kind of track the vertical to measure progression and strength/stamina increase from season to season. Now I am starting to wonder if I should not rely on the app and just keep a count in my head instead.

Also, if you go to Beaver Creek, feel free to skip the Elkhorn lift.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
It doesn’t track accurately.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
I've been happily using Ski Tracks for years, it seems more-or-less accurate if you want comparison data.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Hey Epic pass people, I have a question. Do you think the app accurately captures your vertical and chairlift rides for the day? I had what would be a record breaking day for me by my own count, roughly 36,000ft, but the app is saying only 29k or so and it definitely is saying less lift rides than I have had today. 29k would still be my second best day ever, so I am still very happy with how today went, but I like to kind of track the vertical to measure progression and strength/stamina increase from season to season. Now I am starting to wonder if I should not rely on the app and just keep a count in my head instead.

Also, if you go to Beaver Creek, feel free to skip the Elkhorn lift.

It doesn't pick up your pass always and the new app is hot garbage.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

From when I was riding Epic, I found it almost always got me if I kept my pass on my sleeve pocket. Exterior pocket away from other electromagnetic interference

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Goggle chat: I dont really change lenses, I just take 2 goggles and pick in the carpark.

interestingly my Oakley Crowbars with 'lowlight' lens (brown) is actually worse than my black mirror Smith Squad Happy Lens

Generally I think its better for lifespan of the lenses to not constantly be changing them over since it can weaken the foam/seal between the lenses and they can fog easier.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

spwrozek posted:

It doesn't pick up your pass always and the new app is hot garbage.

Why did they get rid of the old app? Just realized this new one is trash. They even got rid of the badges for some reason.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Residency Evil posted:

Why did they get rid of the old app? Just realized this new one is trash. They even got rid of the badges for some reason.
Probably because some exec wouldn't be able to justify their bonus every year if they didn't change the app in some way, and god knows they're not paying for top talent.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Residency Evil posted:

On one of their FAQ pages they said they are going to be bringing the badges back next season when they have revamped the apps "User Experience".

Here is the exact quote: "Historical EpicMix pins and badges have been temporarily deactivated for the 20/21 season. This feature will be re-integrated into the app in the coming seasons in an improved and re-imagined experience."

From here:

https://www.epicpass.com/benefits/epicmix.aspx

I have doubts it will ever come back, but we will see. I rather enjoyed it, myself!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

On one of their FAQ pages they said they are going to be bringing the badges back next season when they have revamped the apps "User Experience".

Here is the exact quote: "Historical EpicMix pins and badges have been temporarily deactivated for the 20/21 season. This feature will be re-integrated into the app in the coming seasons in an improved and re-imagined experience."

From here:

https://www.epicpass.com/benefits/epicmix.aspx

I have doubts it will ever come back, but we will see. I rather enjoyed it, myself!

At this point...gently caress em. No password manager integration, constant redownloads of the maps, it constantly signs you out... just awful

BTW, How has your trip been? timing ended up being pretty good with the snow this month!

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
Governor of VT announced today that you no longer need to quarantine for two weeks on entering the state if you've been vaccinated. Wonder if that'll bring more people to my mountain.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Master_Odin posted:

Governor of VT announced today that you no longer need to quarantine for two weeks on entering the state if you've been vaccinated. Wonder if that'll bring more people to my mountain.

My sister (vaccinated) booked a house at Stowe today. So I’m guessing yes.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I finally got around to reading about the recent avy death on Mt Washington in NH. Any risk is a real thing in the northeast as well. The skier was an experienced backcountry skier on a low danger day but was sking technical terrain in a bad terrain trap solo on a wind slab. He got wedged up against a cliffside under 12 and a half feet of snow. After a lengthy and dangerous search, it took 8 people an hour and a half of digging to reach him and another 45 minutes to free his body. He was wearing avy gear but that doesn't help if no one is around to dig you out.

https://mountwashingtonavalanchecenter.org/avalanche-fatality-ammonoosuc-ravine/

Master_Odin posted:

Considering how many people from NYC were already going up and ignoring the quarantine rules already it might only marginally increase the numbers.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 20, 2021

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Sounds like he was actually covered by two slides. The first fatal slide was likely small but carried him into a terrain trap which eliminated self rescue. Such a bummer

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

spwrozek posted:

At this point...gently caress em. No password manager integration, constant redownloads of the maps, it constantly signs you out... just awful

BTW, How has your trip been? timing ended up being pretty good with the snow this month!

The trips has been going very well, and was very much needed. I am essential personal at my company so while 95% of the company has been WFH I have been on site for the past year or so, working extra hours and whatnot to cover for the people who can't come to work due to health concerns. Unfortunately at the start of the year I also decided to go back to school to finish my degree, so I have been working 50-60 hour weeks and taking 15 credits of school a semester. I just finished the degree in December, so it has been a big relief, and I ended up having so much vacation saved up it was a use or lose situation, so the trip really made sense. At first I did not think my boss would be keen on me taking off a month, but we have to do a 2 week quarantine if we travel more than 100 miles from our site, so I sold it as taking all my vacation at once would actually result in me being away for less total time, as if I did like three separate week long trips, that would be 3 weeks of vacation and 6 weeks of quarantine. So I am glad that all worked out.

The condo we are staying in is at the major bus stop in Avon and about 100 yards from the town gondola, so it is perfect. Compared to the places on the mountain and Beaver Creek proper, I was able to afford to stay for the month much more easily. The condo is majorly dated, from the 80s, but it serves its function just fine. The internet is really fast, which is nice. My son was able to come with me on the trip because of the online school, so we are kind of having a neat once in a lifetime sort of vacation that I don't see being possible again. So that really adds a silver lining to the whole covid pain.

I realized early in the trip that my skis were a bit too small, but they would be just perfect for my son, so he now has my pair of Rossignol Smash 7s and is doing well with them. I bit the bullet and picked up some fairly wide and big skis for all weather conditions and purchased a pair of Rossignol Spec Ops Senders. Aside from the stupid name, they are actually really good and I had 2 of my 3 best ski days with them so far, so that is great. I was able to progress up to skiing any black diamond run here at Beaver Creek that is groomed, and that is fun, and my son was able to do his first black diamond here. Although I think the resort is more family oriented and what they call a black diamond might just be a tougher blue run at most other resorts.

Being here for a month and so close to the Gondola we are pretty much only skiing during the week, as neither my son or I enjoy crowds, and since my son really only skis for about 2 to 2 and a half hours the timing of going after school works out great. So on the weekend we are playing board games and Xbox and hanging out. The Taco Truck by the bus stop is really good, by the way.

The resort is really nice, it has interesting and varied terrain. My only "complaint" would be that the resort seems to attract people who could be defined as "Uber Wealthy individuals who want to play at skiing". It is a distinctly different vibe from, say, Sun Valley where the people are very wealth, but dedicated and competent skiers. While there are plenty of skiers here who know what they are doing and just go about their business, it is these walking and skiing mozzarella sticks that really stick out to me. The resort seems really lax on their policy enforcement which strikes me as weird and has lead me to see a lot of strange things. On multiple occasions I have seen people in complete disregard for the resorts uphill policy, and saw people who were likely staying at a slopeside condo taking a snowshoe walk in the middle of a busy piste with their dog. I have roughly 120 ski days and this is the only time I have ever seen someone snowshoe into the middle of a hill after a blind crest to have their dog take a poo poo in the middle of the piste. I also don't know if it is a local thing, but where I am from you group up outside the lift line maze, then enter the maze as a group. Here people will wait in the maze for the rest of their group in the most obnoxious spots. Numerous times every day I ski there will be a person or half a group all the way to the last spot on the maze, clogging it up or causing congestion, waiting for the rest of their group. It is just so strange to me. Obviously those are just minor annoyances, of course, and about the only thing that really stands out to me about the resort.

All things considered, if there were some way to do remote learning for the kid next year, it is definitely the sort of trip I would repeat. If covid is not a concern I think a month in Park City might be enjoyable too, but maybe more expensive. Also, usually I am a big fan of roundabouts, but being a pedestrian here has made me hate them. People just loving fly through the roundabouts here at top speed and it is wildly scary crossing them.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Good, good day. Exhausted. The wind created some pretty variable snow conditions but my wife got some good practice because of it. Wild how four runs top to bottom can just wear you out.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Sweet Adventure

Seems like all things considered it has been a full on blast. So dang cool man.

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Good, good day. Exhausted. The wind created some pretty variable snow conditions but my wife got some good practice because of it. Wild how four runs top to bottom can just wear you out.

Looks like fun man.

I went sled skiing on with my buddy's total POS 1996 sled. We had a really good time and now I need a snowmobile...

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth

IncredibleIgloo posted:

On multiple occasions I have seen people in complete disregard for the resorts uphill policy, and saw people who were likely staying at a slopeside condo taking a snowshoe walk in the middle of a busy piste with their dog. I have roughly 120 ski days and this is the only time I have ever seen someone snowshoe into the middle of a hill after a blind crest to have their dog take a poo poo in the middle of the piste.

Glad you're having an awesome time, and this was weirdly part of my BC experience too. I came around a corner on that last run back to the Avon gondola and saw a woman walking two dogs uphill, off leash, in the middle of the run. Never seen that anywhere else - maybe it's just that the Uber Wealthy (you're right about that too) think the rules don't apply to them. In a lot of cases, they don't :(

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Was that in CO? How does heliskiing even work when drat near everything in the backcountry is going to try to kill you?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2W8jjMmS8c

From today.

Moogs posted:

Was that in CO? How does heliskiing even work when drat near everything in the backcountry is going to try to kill you?

It is at Silverton.

In reality though a lot of people who go heli skiing are not actually that good of skiers. It is pretty common to be skiing mellow slopes.

Specific to Colorado there are tons of places to go to ski in the backcountry and be safe. Lots of slopes under 30 degrees a such.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Hi everyone, I forgot this thread existed. I live in the southeast but go out to Aspen/Snowmass a few times a year. Looks like we’ll have about 6 inches of powder tomorrow!

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Oh Yo what up. It you see someone skiing way better than you tomorrow say hi.

Also I'm going to be surrounded by people busy falling down so it should help me look good but that's entirely coincidental.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yeah the helicopter thing is on ~30° stuff and more about the wow factor but it’s a hoot. The terrain you hike there is usually gnarlier, but it’s still all guided, patrolled, and bombed four days a week. I can’t recall hearing of a guest being caught in a slide there which is more than I can say for Telluride.

spwrozek posted:

...and now I need a snowmobile...

same, and a place to park one while we’re on the subject

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 21, 2021

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Eejit posted:

Oh Yo what up. It you see someone skiing way better than you tomorrow say hi.

Also I'm going to be surrounded by people busy falling down so it should help me look good but that's entirely coincidental.

I’ll be boarding, so I’m sure you’ve got me beat on skis! Hope you don’t get stuck with a super noob group tomorrow.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Finally made it out and got some boarding in. Night time is usually less busy, so, luckily, it wasn't too crowded.
Off and on snow kept the runs fairly fresh. Icy as hell at the lifts. Lots of people slipping or falling over trying to get on. Lots of employees clearing tree debris. Had to go under a fallen tree at one point.
Bad pictures, fun times:

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Is that Ski Bowl?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

highme posted:

Is that Ski Bowl?

The cross section of night skiing and ancient style lift makes me think it might be. That lift is the longest lift I have ever taken. I timed it, I think it is like 14 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

IncredibleIgloo posted:

The cross section of night skiing and ancient style lift makes me think it might be. That lift is the longest lift I have ever taken. I timed it, I think it is like 14 minutes.

Galaxy lift at Heavenly is like 16 minutes. Shame since the skiing back there can be nice but gently caress that lift ride.