Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
I'm not really sure what causes the red coloration. A lot of the rocks were similarly tinted, maybe iron content that's oxidized?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah it's sediment from the rocks. The movement of snow and melt water concentrates it on the remaining snow patches.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I'm of course not sure if it's the case in that particular spot (hence the question) but there are definitely places where snow can get a red coloration from algae in the warmer months, including the Sierra Nevada (where I live, and why I'm familiar with it)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watermelon_snow

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It's most obvious here right of center where you can see it streaking and fanning away from the water channels in the steepest parts.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I was looking more at what looked to me like more of a red color than the brown in that photo, which I'd agree is clearly sediment from the rocks.

See the red in the far left of this photo:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

So many sun cups! ha. Nice job man. looks like fun and terribleness all at once.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
I suspect Steve French is right about that spot being algae, there's a closer up photo that I didn't post where you can see we've walked on it and had it darken up. I had no idea that was a thing!

The sun cups were nice and soft at least, it was like 25c when we were up there.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, it's definitely red algae.

That looks cool as hell.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cool then!

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Went to scope out the line off Wilson Peak yesterday. Basically you have to climb up this:

And the down the other side of that which is a little steeper, and then up a similar looking climb that is a little longer and steeper. I have no idea how I’m gonna do this in snowboard boots but I do know it’s been done.

Top of the line is on the right of this photo:

And there’s a little choke about 30 ft down but once you’re through that it looks all good. Still need to figure out the egress back to the trailhead.

Also we got caught in a thunderstorm on the way off the mountain and which was a little spooky with the lightning.

E:
Here’s the line:

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 18, 2021

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot .1415926535 posted:

I have no idea how I’m gonna do this in snowboard boots but I do know it’s been done.

Crampons and an ice axe or two is my guess.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMdsg7fkL/

STOP RESISTING

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

What's up Hot Cop.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

:cripes:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

lol turns out ol’ bearfucker is an Olympic coach so maybe he was just training for Olympic bearfucking

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Looks like CDOT is gonna have to do a fuckton of work if I-70 is gonna open before the season begins.

https://twitter.com/DenverChannel/status/1422327765504774144

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

highme posted:

Looks like CDOT is gonna have to do a fuckton of work if I-70 is gonna open before the season begins.

https://twitter.com/DenverChannel/status/1422327765504774144

I doubt they get it stabilized this year. AS long as you don't want to go to Aspen it is cool though.

It is NOT cool for western slope bike season though.

E: this is the 3rd (4th?) time they have closed the highway.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 3, 2021

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

You know what I'm really looking forward to? Driving to Denver next Friday from Basalt to catch a 730 flight and getting off work at 130. I'm already STRESSED

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

uh just build a tunnel, problem solved

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Covid lockdown has hosed my whole season so i refunded my epic pass today.

2 days at the start of the season. I had over 20 booked. I am immeasurably bummed.

bought a skateboard so lets see how much falling on asphalt sucks compared to snow (hint: already found out its a lot!)

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR
Yeah I feel for Sydneysiders this season - just as the season started to kick in you're unable to go. In VIC our restrictions currently stop us from sharing accommodation with people outside of our household so my snow trips with friends are on ice for a little while

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

I heard today that the east end of our county is over 90% vaccinated so I doubt they’ll do any kind of covid restriction other than maybe ‘space out the lift lines’ which was kind of a joke.

Unless we get a sweet gamma variant that doesn’t care if you’re vaccinated.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Moot .1415926535 posted:

I heard today that the east end of our county is over 90% vaccinated so I doubt they’ll do any kind of covid restriction other than maybe ‘space out the lift lines’ which was kind of a joke.

Unless we get a sweet gamma variant that doesn’t care if you’re vaccinated.

That seems like a really high percentage, that is good! Although I would imagine if you get a lot of travellers that would make it more difficult.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Laserface posted:

bought a skateboard so lets see how much falling on asphalt sucks compared to snow (hint: already found out its a lot!)

I bought an electric skateboard this off season and can confirm. I also was served an ad for this thing the other day:

https://summerboard.com/pages/sbx

imagine catching an edge on pavement

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

the one-wheel is supposed to be a pretty good analog to snowboarding, I ran into a guy riding one last night and he said its much more like snow.

Those summer boards look like the right idea, but also a very bad idea.

and I think I want an electric skateboard purely because they have a brake. Im the type of snowboarder that likes to go real fast but I also like to speed check when things are getting a little too hectic. Cant do that on a skateboard so at the moment I am limited to only going as fast as I can (jump off and) run.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
Yeah, one wheels seem to be great for cruisy snowboard style riding. A snowboarder friend of mine got one (just after I moved away) and always uploads videos of mountain road / off-road park cruising on it. I think the main issue them is that you top out at a certain speed, and if you try to push it faster down a hill its safety mechanism can kick in and throw you off of it. As long as you're aware of that issue it should be good.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Tweak posted:

I bought an electric skateboard this off season and can confirm. I also was served an ad for this thing the other day:

https://summerboard.com/pages/sbx

imagine catching an edge on pavement

Looks like an electric free board. The free board feels amazingly like snowboarding on asphalt. The one wheel is alight but doesn't really feel like snowboarding to me.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I saw a dude eat poo poo hard on a one wheel trying to ride off a curb. It was pretty great.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I saw a dude ride a one wheeler down a set of stairs a few weeks ago and he did it like it was the easiest thing in the world.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
One wheels are pretty fun, once you get it burned into your head that they have a top speed, and also are NOT a snowboard.

The price though is ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Eejit posted:

You know what I'm really looking forward to? Driving to Denver next Friday from Basalt to catch a 730 flight and getting off work at 130. I'm already STRESSED

I've gotta do the RFV-Denver drive with a three month old and a toddler in the car soon. Should be fun.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
https://www.summitdaily.com/news/vail-resorts-marketing-officer-to-take-over-as-ceo-as-rob-katz-moves-into-executive-board-role/

Katz is "out" and they're bringing in the marketing guru to helm the ship.

I for one look forward to zero improvement other than a :10bux: off my next food purchase.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
What will all those people with "Rob Katz skis in jeans" stickers do now?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

HookShot posted:

What will all those people with "Rob Katz skis in jeans" stickers do now?

he is still on the board so don't worry.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Does he ski in jeans? Does he even ski?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Does he ski in jeans? Does he even ski?

Ah, making me re-live my father's standard practice of skiing in jeans in the 90s.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

70% chance of a La Nina in the PNW this year...lets go!

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
These are sitting in my closet right now.

I can’t wait for winter. If work permits, I’m going to try to spend Jan/Feb working in Snowmass. I spent three weeks out last time and didn’t get much in other than weekends, but it was still awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I can't wait for winter, and not just because its currently hell degrees outside. Finally going to get some skiing in after missing a season and a half