Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

spwrozek posted:

Hookshot, you are getting a new lift and a new gondola next summer so I don't think your Vail Resort sale dreams are going to come true.

SAD.

I bet they’re going to take away the free parking at Creekside now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Keystone is also putting the lift up into Bergman bowl next year as well. I get mixed feelings on that one as I love how no one really goes up here since you really want to skin it.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

spwrozek posted:

Keystone is also putting the lift up into Bergman bowl next year as well. I get mixed feelings on that one as I love how no one really goes up here since you really want to skin it.

This makes me sad

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
https://www.vaildaily.com/news/eagle-valley/vails-back-bowls-to-get-lift-upgrades-as-part-of-320m-vail-resorts-capital-improvement-project/

Huh, maybe I'll go back to Epic/Vail next year! Seems like this will be both good and bad.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

This at least claims to be an operating ski area; https://liftblog.com/platter-blizzard-mountain-id/

Even the old black chair at Magic was not this jank

edit: huh, they actually groom it (or did at least once)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xde152YuhIU

LostCosmonaut fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 25, 2021

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Looks like Hesperus lol

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I think I have seen chairs like that a lot on one of the only instagrams I look at, "Jerry of the Day", and I believe they are popular in Europe and difficult for snowboarders to use.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I think I have seen chairs like that a lot on one of the only instagrams I look at, "Jerry of the Day", and I believe they are popular in Europe and difficult for snowboarders to use.

This might be your problem.

They're called poma lifts, btw.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Looks wind packed.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Looks like Idaho's thing is weird lifts, at least going by that site.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

LostCosmonaut posted:

Looks like Idaho's thing is weird lifts, at least going by that site.

Homemade lift seems like something that might be very hard to insure/have insurance for your resort.

Idaho had the first ski lift though. I learned all about it at dinner in Ketchum/Sun Valley. They had an infographic about it in the restaurant I ate at. It was really good! Don't remember the name unfortunately, but it was in the nice hotel complex near an ice skating rink.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
To be fair, it's a poma lift, you don't leave the ground

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

To be fair, it's a poma lift, you don't leave the ground

Jerry of the day may lead me to believe otherwise, haha. Well, I guess they get more or less dragged as opposed to lifted off the ground.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

HookShot posted:

This might be your problem.

They're called poma lifts, btw.

Poma lift isn’t weird in and of itself but that’s some kind of homebrewed version with plywood disk seats and braided wire cable springs. Probably an interesting ride.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Pomas are so much better than t-bars.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Spime Wrangler posted:

Half the fun of a tbar is riding double on snowboards, hoping the other person eats it and you survive.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Spime Wrangler posted:

This is 100% the correct opinion.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

ought ten posted:

Poma lift isn’t weird in and of itself but that’s some kind of homebrewed version with plywood disk seats and braided wire cable springs. Probably an interesting ride.

Yeah, I’d still ride it though.

That said I’ve broken a t-bar at Whistler before so I’m used to sketchy ground sliding lifts lol

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Spime Wrangler posted:

I prefer the Tbar on a board. While skiing the poma is better but lonely. Give me T-BARS!

Moey posted:

Half the fun of a tbar is riding double on snowboards, hoping the other person eats it and you survive.

Hellllll yes!

I have never nudge a buddy off the bar....

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

I still have my leather guards for rope tows lol

At least at Louise I thought those were called platter lifts, made by Poma. Poma also made many of the chair lifts on the back side at least.

Speaking of Louise, I'm being tempted by season passes starting at $599. Presumably that is the mid week pass, but I have a job with flexible hours so :thunk:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

I still have my leather guards for rope tows lol

At least at Louise I thought those were called platter lifts, made by Poma. Poma also made many of the chair lifts on the back side at least.

Speaking of Louise, I'm being tempted by season passes starting at $599. Presumably that is the mid week pass, but I have a job with flexible hours so :thunk:

stay flexible, my friends.

I tend to frequent Castle because it's cheap and far less busy but can't deny the beauty of Louise

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

spwrozek posted:

My least favorite people were our family friends who "Ski in Vail" (la de loving da). But they Skied at most 5 days a year (a lot of the time every other year). Meanwhile we are driving 5 hours north at 4 am on Saturdays, riding 9am-9pm, sleep, riding Sunday 9-4, 5 hour drive home, crash, school/work Monday morning. Riding 20 or so days a year.
I'm in the NYC area so likewise my least favorite skiers/riders are the people who think it's beneath them to ski in the Northeast and take one trip a year to ski Colorado/Utah. They get 5-9 days in a year. I love the local dudes and ski families who will take a sick day because of a forecast to ride our lovely 1000 ft vertical. It can be such a great atmosphere. And because our kids are getting in so much time when we do ski bigger places and gnarlier terrain they have the skill set to actually enjoy it.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

IncredibleIgloo posted:

We have one of those and it’s not that hard.

Here’s a good article about the current climate of STRs in Colorado:

https://coloradosun.com/2021/09/21/colorado-resorts-breckenridge-short-term-rentals/

quote:

Not every speaker opposed the cap.

“A lot more people in favor of this cap wanted to be here but they had to work,”

All my friends, who are just out of frame…

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Looks like Hesperus lol

Hesperus rules

Have you ever been to Lee’s? Also rules

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Lee’s got nothin on Kendall. But they’re about to blow that up.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Castle mountain rules. That is all.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

https://snowbrains.com/epic-pass-42-percent-sales-increase-thanks-to-reduction/

Good news for Vail

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Hopefully better news for Ikon!

Nah it’s gonna be bad.

edit: I did buy an Epic 3-day pass for the year so that I could ski with our close family friends who are coming to visit.

Vail and Beaver Creek.
For a long weekend.
President's Day Weekend.

lol

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 29, 2021

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Residency Evil posted:

Hopefully better news for Ikon!

Nah it’s gonna be bad.

edit: I did buy an Epic 3-day pass for the year so that I could ski with our close family friends who are coming to visit.

Vail and Beaver Creek.
For a long weekend.
President's Day Weekend.

lol

Ikon in CO will be just as bad. I don't know a single person who made the switch back to vail personally despite the cheaper prices.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

spwrozek posted:

Ikon in CO will be just as bad. I don't know a single person who made the switch back to vail personally despite the cheaper prices.

I did. We usually do a few days in CB and what with not knowing what the indoor situation was going to look like, and the kids getting free days anyway, I pulled the trigger on the Epic.

This is after 25+ years of skiing primarily at Winter Park.

I have no idea where to stay in Summit :ohdear:

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 30, 2021

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is there a secret way of signing up for Bob's Mogul Camp? I wanted to give it a shot this year, but I'm not finding a website for it at all. Do I just have to call the regular Winter Park lesson number?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

waffle enthusiast posted:

I did. We usually do a few days in CB and what with not knowing what the indoor situation was going to look like, and the kids getting free days anyway, I pulled the trigger on the Epic.

This is after 25+ years of skiing primarily at Winter Park.

I have no idea where to stay in Summit :ohdear:

Nice, Let's get some laps in.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

spwrozek posted:

Nice, Let's get some laps in.

If I don’t have to keep up with you on uphills, I’m totally in :)

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

https://liftblog.com/2021/09/29/boyne-mountain-to-launch-midwests-first-eight-seat-chairlift/

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Got some snow up high last night, my neighbor took this

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Has anyone ridden the Masterblaster from JSkis? Thinking about that or the Fastforward. But also considering the Enforcer 94 since they all run about the same price. My old Line Supernaturals are pretty flapped out at this point and the bases and edges have rolled several natural 1's, so it's time to retire them to rock ski duty.

I want something for non-pow days since I already have my powder skis set, so kind of leaning away from the Masterblaster since I really just don't care how good this pair of skis is in anything bigger than an inch or two of fresh.

Road ride up towards Ashcroft, so that's a view towards Taylor/Pearl/Star peaks. The Bells and Pyramid also looked very pretty with a dusting.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

We're likely heading to Sweden for Christmas, and while that's fun and all it would be cool to get in some skiing between like, boxing day and after NYE. Looking at current travel rules and historic snow amounts, while we can go to Åre, Trysil would have better snow but isn't letting non-Norwegians in. So now I'm loosely thinking about the Alps. Thing is, I've never been skiing there and don't really know where to start looking.

I'm a fairly advanced skier, wife is newbie/intermediate. What are some good places in the alps we should look at that are easy-ish to get to by flying/train without breaking the bank (we don't care hugely about apres ski / fine dining / luxury shopping)?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

luminalflux posted:

We're likely heading to Sweden for Christmas, and while that's fun and all it would be cool to get in some skiing between like, boxing day and after NYE. Looking at current travel rules and historic snow amounts, while we can go to Åre, Trysil would have better snow but isn't letting non-Norwegians in. So now I'm loosely thinking about the Alps. Thing is, I've never been skiing there and don't really know where to start looking.

I'm a fairly advanced skier, wife is newbie/intermediate. What are some good places in the alps we should look at that are easy-ish to get to by flying/train without breaking the bank (we don't care hugely about apres ski / fine dining / luxury shopping)?

Austria, Austria, Austria. It's just like so friendly and easy to get around.

Out of the places I've been, I would recommend Kitz or St Anton. St Anton is right on a major rail line, Kitz requires like an additional 30 minutes and a transfer, but it's straightforward.

Sölden and Ischgl have glaciers so they might be preferable for early season. They are, just like everywhere else in Austria, super easy to get to by train.

I would fly into Munich or Salzburg, but Vienna and Zurich are also options. Also all of those cities are delightful if you want to spend a day or two before/after skiing.

I seriously love Austria, it's like a much more friendly Germany, and the mountains are just amazing. Super recommend.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Go to Garmisch then you can ski Germany and Austria in the same spot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

kiimo posted:

Go to Garmisch then you can ski Germany and Austria in the same spot

Garmisch hosts the ski jumping World Cup around then so idk how silly it gets

Friends do St Anton each year but further into spring. Gonna check it out, seems like an easy transfer from Zurich