Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

highme posted:

Thought this was a hookshot reply at first so I was gonna let it slide, but I’m going to expect engineers to know the difference between hundreds and hundredths of seconds :henget:

I appreciate that you weren't going to call me out for not knowing the difference between hundreds and hundredths lol. That's about where the bar is for my math skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Come to think of it, perhaps there is a reason why alpine racers need color coded split times.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Thanks all, have an appointment to get my board and wife’s skiis phantomed next week!

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Thinking I should get phantom next time around because I wax about as often as phantom gets applied anyways.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I love waxing, grew up with my dad doing it for me and then he showed me how and in middle school I did my own waxing.

I do a really basic hot wax usually these days though when I was a teenager I did all the scraping, buffing/brushing etc. Its meditation for me.

Hit up my first lift served day at b right on today and it was pretty good. Only the bunny hill and the mid mountain lift were open so the line got kinda long but it still felt really good. Might go back tomorrow if I don't hit up Alta. Almost wish Alta was still closed so I could still just tour there all day!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbqHK8i-HdA

This is one of the best ski videos I've ever seen.

The loving ice cave.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

HookShot posted:

The loving ice cave.

pffft i could do that.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I'm recommending a new snowboarder get a half day lesson. Any deals for Whistler for passholders?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

HookShot posted:

The loving ice cave.

This feels like the closest thing I've seen to real-life SSX3 I could feel him piling up super ubers

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

HookShot posted:

The loving ice cave.

That video was insane, that title was no hyperbole at all. I thought the roof and village stuff was pretty amazing too!

asur
Dec 28, 2012
That video is dope and the making of cuts is quite interesting. Slightly disappointing to find out that it's actually not a single run, part of it including the cave is on a completely different mountain.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Feels a wee bit early season for a triple extreme. :thunk:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Rime posted:

Feels a wee bit early season for a triple extreme. :thunk:

It has snowed a ton and it is supposed to rain a ton above peak. So you are probably looking at some serious rip to ground wet slides similar to what happened in Jackson Hole about 5 years ago. My buddy in Kaslo said it was pouring rain up to about 1500M yesterday.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Triple extreme here in Banff as well. Lots of wind slabs in the alpine, freezing level all over the place and then we're gonna dump 50-80cm of wet snow all over it. Sunshine had to close today because Parks Canada wouldn't let them open the road.

...should be killer this weekend if things stabilize though!

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
It was like 50 in Breck today. Was outside rocking a t-shirt.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Skied at copper yesterday. It was me, other dudes skipping work, and every ski racing kid in Colorado.

God we need snow.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
LOL that's my memory of Copper, 90% of the ski racers in the USA, seven bewildered tourists and three locals sticking it out anwyay.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I am starting to get a little worried about my trip to Park City on the 12th. At least they are open and have 2 runs. Hope they can double or triple that by the 12th.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

We cancelled our trip to Garmisch due to the lockdown. Sierras ain’t getting poo poo it seems and we’re considering going somewhere in Colorado or Utah first week of January. What has the biggest chance of being open?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

luminalflux posted:

We cancelled our trip to Garmisch due to the lockdown. Sierras ain’t getting poo poo it seems and we’re considering going somewhere in Colorado or Utah first week of January. What has the biggest chance of being open?

At this point it is all a crap shoot. British Columbia is your best bet today (getting across the border is not terrible right now but who knows what will happen in the next month with LRRR invading earth). I would probably say Summit County CO is your best bet just since it is high up. Maybe Montana is getting that BC snow, Whitefish or Big Sky...?

There are some glimmers of hope here in CO but also...I have seen that 7-10 day forecast before.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Two weeks to change the pattern, we're all in this together

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

ironlung posted:

Two weeks to change the pattern, we're all in this together

Not me. :smugdon:

Don't ask about the hike out.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

spwrozek posted:

At this point it is all a crap shoot. British Columbia is your best bet today (getting across the border is not terrible right now but who knows what will happen in the next month with LRRR invading earth). I would probably say Summit County CO is your best bet just since it is high up. Maybe Montana is getting that BC snow, Whitefish or Big Sky...?

There are some glimmers of hope here in CO but also...I have seen that 7-10 day forecast before.

Most of the roads in BC just got taken out by flood too, though.

This makes getting in harder, but also keeps out the weirdo antivaxxers from the interior out

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

ante posted:

Most of the roads in BC just got taken out by flood too, though.

This makes getting in harder, but also keeps out the weirdo antivaxxers from the interior out

North South is ok - like Seattle to Whistler for instance. East West is hosed.

e; I mean a small portion is ok. Obviously a lot of roads & communities are in terrible shape, don't mean to minimize it.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 2, 2021

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

spwrozek posted:

Another option would be Sun Valley since I have family there, but that's about as grim as Big Sky right now with very iffy coverage.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

spwrozek posted:

A lot of the highways are closed to to flood damage in BC. You can get to Whistler, but that's about it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

spwrozek posted:

Please do not crush my dreams like this TIA.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

ImplicitAssembler posted:

A lot of the highways are closed to to flood damage in BC. You can get to Whistler, but that's about it.

Eh? Only the roads in the lower mainland were damaged. Fly into Calgary and ski Revvy, Kicking Horse, Nakiska, Sun Peaks, etc etc etc.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Rime posted:

Eh? Only the roads in the lower mainland were damaged. Fly into Calgary and ski Revvy, Kicking Horse, Nakiska, Sun Peaks, etc etc etc.

Yeah, when I say BC I usually don't mean the coast but probably should clarify that. Revy is the place to be right now.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
You should never ski Nakiska hth

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
If you're flying in to Calgary you might as well just ski Lake and Sunshine right now, highway 1 to Golden is closed so you have to do a giant detour on 93S along with everyone else and that highway was very much not designed for that level of traffic. It's going to be hell getting to/past Golden for a while.

Edit: agreed about Nakiska. You could catch a flight to Kelowna if you wanted to hit Big White/Sun Peaks/Silver Star/Revelstoke though.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 2, 2021

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

If you're flying in to Calgary you might as well just ski Lake and Sunshine right now, highway 1 to Golden is closed so you have to do a giant detour on 93S along with everyone else and that highway was very much not designed for that level of traffic. It's going to be hell getting to/past Golden for a while.

Edit: agreed about Nakiska. You could catch a flight to Kelowna if you wanted to hit Big White/Sun Peaks/Silver Star/Revelstoke though.

HWY is open since the 30th, closure over.

Don't ski big white tho, it was 22 degrees yesterday and also its run by folks somehow worse than Vail.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Oh good I think I’m going to Golden in March, buddy booked a guide and asked if I wanted to join. Naturally I said yes with approximately zero details.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

We’re due to go up there in February, it’s nice to see a base there even if the Sierras are dry at the moment.

Omicron could throw plans out the window though so we’ll see.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

bawfuls posted:

We’re due to go up there in February, it’s nice to see a base there even if the Sierras are dry at the moment.

Omicron could throw plans out the window though so we’ll see.

yup....we are supposed to cross into Canada on the 29th. good news is I was smart and everything is full refundable. Getting a test is going to be a pain to turn around with christmas. If we need a test to drive back across the border to the US we might be SOL if an at home test doesn't fly.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Supposed to be going to red mtn at the end of Jan but with the testing requirements going both ways possibly by then it's all up in the air.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Well at least the golf course is looking healthy

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Whistler was a literal injected World Cup level ice sheet yesterday. It absolutely owned on sharp slalom skis but racers were the only people having anything remotely resembling fun on it. At least the giant block of ice will make a good base that’ll still be around in April.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

We didn't hit any rocks at least.

Dog had fun though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Fry is the best touring dog and I'll fight anyone that says otherwise