Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
We just picked up this lovely thing as a rental and I wanted to name it Chateau Relaxo but got outvoted. Lame.

But it’s snowing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Seven Springs was started with blackmail money :clint:

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

SeaborneClink posted:

https://www.vaildaily.com/news/vail-resorts-announces-acquisition-of-seven-springs-hidden-valley-and-laurel-mountain-ski-areas/

Vail Resorts announced Wednesday it has agreed to purchase Seven Springs Mountain Resort in Pennsylvania from Seven Springs Mountain Resort, Inc.

Vail Resorts will also acquire Hidden Valley Resort and the operations of Laurel Mountain Ski Area as part of the deal. The approximated $125 million purchase price includes the three ski areas, a hotel, conference center and other related operations.

Rob Katz still skis in jeans

RIP to PA's best ski resort

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

drat that’s my home resort :(
I’ll probably be making the trip to snow shoe more often this season now.

alnilam posted:

Seven Springs was started with blackmail money :clint:

Have a link to this story?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Macnult posted:

RIP to PA's best ski resort
I thought it was already a shitshow thanks to the miserly ownership of Bob Nutting, at least that’s what my PA-reared ski friends always said.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

dangling pointer posted:

drat that’s my home resort :(
I’ll probably be making the trip to snow shoe more often this season now.

Have a link to this story?

It was word of mouth from a very knowledgeable local so no, but apparently it was land and money given to the founders' family to hush up an affair with... i wanna say one of the Fricks or maybe a Kaufman, one of the local magnates back then

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Moot .1415926535 posted:

We just picked up this lovely thing as a rental and I wanted to name it Chateau Relaxo but got outvoted. Lame.

But it’s snowing!

Stunning

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

bawfuls posted:

I thought it was already a shitshow thanks to the miserly ownership of Bob Nutting, at least that’s what my PA-reared ski friends always said.

Yep. Those three haven’t had anywhere near the investment they should have under Nutting.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Post Nutting clarity

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

bawfuls posted:

I never had complaints about it and it was always my favorite PA resort, even though the local three are more my "home" mountains. Maybe it's because it's because 7S wasn't my home mountain, but the only issue I ever had there were friends getting injured.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Moot .1415926535 posted:

But it’s snowing!

That place is pretty drat amazing. I am very impressed!

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

ought ten posted:

Post Nutting clarity
loving :lmao:

Yeah the resorts were ludicrously expensive for what you get, and I never even realized it until I went and skied a real mountain. Can't imagine the prices are going down anytime soon.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I had hoped to do Japan or a vanlife trip through the big resorts in canada but both things are looking more unlikely with Omicron.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

IncredibleIgloo posted:

That place is pretty drat amazing. I am very impressed!

I guess I should clarify that my company acquired the rental contract, it has nothing to do with me personally other than creating job security.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Fifty Three posted:

loving :lmao:

Yeah the resorts were ludicrously expensive for what you get, and I never even realized it until I went and skied a real mountain. Can't imagine the prices are going down anytime soon.

No, I don’t think that’s the way these things work.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Moot .1415926535 posted:

I guess I should clarify that my company acquired the rental contract, it has nothing to do with me personally other than creating job security.

Oh, I thought you had arranged a stay there. I imagine that must be in the multi-thousand dollars a night range during the season?

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

Ah, nice. Wish I could get something similar for my Nows.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Laserface posted:

I had hoped to do Japan or a vanlife trip through the big resorts in canada but both things are looking more unlikely with Omicron.

Van trip to Canada seems a go still for the moment. Test requirement to drive over the border but not back.

I am recalling you might be in AUS land though.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

SeaborneClink posted:

https://www.vaildaily.com/news/vail-resorts-announces-acquisition-of-seven-springs-hidden-valley-and-laurel-mountain-ski-areas/

Vail Resorts announced Wednesday it has agreed to purchase Seven Springs Mountain Resort in Pennsylvania from Seven Springs Mountain Resort, Inc.

Vail Resorts will also acquire Hidden Valley Resort and the operations of Laurel Mountain Ski Area as part of the deal. The approximated $125 million purchase price includes the three ski areas, a hotel, conference center and other related operations.

Rob Katz still skis in jeans

Holy poo poo my trash local mountain from growing up is now owned by vail.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Residency Evil posted:

Holy poo poo my trash local mountain from growing up is now owned by vail.

Which one? Because don't be knocking 7 springs.

pinarello dogman posted:

Ah, nice. Wish I could get something similar for my Nows.

I don't really like riding my karakoram bindings in the resort Fwiw, great in the back country though.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Laserface posted:

Yeah it's a bummer, I had a spring ski trip with some Oz family in Sahoro planned for Feb, but it's looking highly unlikely. You could probably still come north though, assuming you're in the US, provided you know vax and all that.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

spwrozek posted:

I don't really like riding my karakoram bindings in the resort Fwiw, great in the back country though.

Have you been back at all? I went back…ten years ago or so. Hope you enjoy paying $80/day for 700 feet of vertical, dodging masses of yinzers in jeans, and waiting 20 minutes in lift lines.

There’s just no point.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

spwrozek posted:

How many people in this thread grew up skiing Seven Springs? Seems like an abnormally high concentration of W Pa natives for your average group of skiers/riders

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

We now have a cabin reservation for our BC trip

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

spwrozek posted:

Van trip to Canada seems a go still for the moment. Test requirement to drive over the border but not back.

I am recalling you might be in AUS land though.

squirrelzipper posted:

Yeah it's a bummer, I had a spring ski trip with some Oz family in Sahoro planned for Feb, but it's looking highly unlikely. You could probably still come north though, assuming you're in the US, provided you know vax and all that.

I am in Aus so besides the exorbitant cost of flights and the potential of being stuck in Canada longer than I can afford to be, im still contemplating a feb trip for 2-3 weeks, start in vancouver and go east til i run out of body parts to injure or money.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

ought ten posted:

How many people in this thread grew up skiing Seven Springs? Seems like an abnormally high concentration of W Pa natives for your average group of skiers/riders

I did and still do. I’m in Ohio though.

I hope they don’t raise booze prices at the foggy goggle.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

spwrozek posted:

Too harsh? I'm tempted to take my hardboot setup on a resort day to get more used to it, but not really looking forward to it.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Residency Evil posted:

Have you been back at all? I went back…ten years ago or so. Hope you enjoy paying $80/day for 700 feet of vertical, dodging masses of yinzers in jeans, and waiting 20 minutes in lift lines.

There’s just no point.

I would totally go ski northern Michigan if my family wanted me to really do it. I am no ski snob! (I ski the back country to avoid crowds and find the pow...BUT BESIDES THAT!)

ought ten posted:

We were in Toledo so we mostly went to Northern Michigan, Boyne highlands when really young then switched to Nubs Nob. I would say Nubs is my old home mountain. We would go to Seven springs or holiday valley for at least 1 trip a year though.

Steve French posted:

We now have a cabin reservation for our BC trip

Sick, where is this at/when you going?

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

spwrozek posted:

Sick, where is this at/when you going?

Asulkan cabin in glacier national park (Canadian one). Early March.

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/bc/glacier/activ/passez-stay/cabines-cabins#asulkan

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Keweenaw is +20 inches of blower in the last 48 hours on top of a 1" slush-ice base. Folks are getting sick coreshot laps at bohemia, but it's supposed to warm up a ton so we're probably hosed for proper good skiing for a while yet.

XC is good to go, though! Hope to get out Friday.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Steve French posted:

Asulkan cabin in glacier national park (Canadian one). Early March.

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/bc/glacier/activ/passez-stay/cabines-cabins#asulkan

Sick, that looks loving awesome

dox
Mar 4, 2006
https://www.westword.com/news/bould...tgZybgAbwyY7q0I

Brutal what has happened at Eldora this year- 5 deaths, 5 different runs... This was my home mountain for my first 5 years of skiing, got 40+ days there every year, super sad to see. I feel really bad for the patrol. It makes me wonder how many ski areas do not report deaths...

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Oh, I thought you had arranged a stay there. I imagine that must be in the multi-thousand dollars a night range during the season?

Yeah, The Algorithm has it priced at around 6/nt and 15 during high season but that’s probably a bit loose. I trust Algorithm normally but that house is spectacular and it can’t account for that. Thing about ‘gently caress you money’ is there’s usually a lot of it. Part of my job is to put that listing in the right places. Still think Chateau Relaxo is good branding.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Went up to Mt Seymour today to let the dog play in the snow, as I figured this weekends snowfall should be enough for them to open...except they currently only got 10cm worth of icy crud.
Oh well. Physio also told me 2 weeks before I can start riding, so probably for the better.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

ought ten posted:

So I count 6 or 7? I guess that explains the business case for Vail, assuming I understand their model: get people to buy Epic passes for their local hill so they’ll take a vacation at another Vail resort. 7 Springs and Hidden Valley clearly serve a big market relative to their size.

Has anyone skied Laurel Mtn? It was never open or rarely when I was a kid. Seems like a neat spot.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

ought ten posted:

Has anyone skied Laurel Mtn? It was never open or rarely when I was a kid. Seems like a neat spot.

I always wondered about this too, I used to go to a cabin up on that road a lot and even in snow I never once saw the lodge open.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

ought ten posted:

So I count 6 or 7? I guess that explains the business case for Vail, assuming I understand their model: get people to buy Epic passes for their local hill so they’ll take a vacation at another Vail resort. 7 Springs and Hidden Valley clearly serve a big market relative to their size.

I moved away before Laurel Mountain opened up. We were Hidden Valley/Seven springs growing up, with an occasional trip to Holiday Valley in NY. My parents couldn't afford ski trips out west, so it wasn't until later in life that I was able to start skiing in CO/UT/Tahoe. I went back to Seven Springs one time after I started skiing out west and just didn't see the point of wasting that much time and money. If anything, the crowds/experience was worse than I remember growing up. Honestly, felt the same way about skiing at Blue Mountain last year. :shrug:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I was gifted a pair of Shift bindings (sweet!) which I was initially going to remount on one of my existing pairs of skis but now I'm wondering if it wouldn't make more sense to put them on something new.

I have not been nearly as tuned in to gear stuff in recent years as I was previously, so I come to the thread looking for recommendations.

What I've got now:
-Moment Tahoe (96 underfoot @186) with old FKS bindings. Default "it hasn't snowed in awhile" ski, love these to death. Starting to show some age but they still have life.
-Armada Norwalk (117 underfoot @189) with Tyrolia Adrenaline bindings. Soft conditions ski. I'm not a big fan of these bindings for all the usual reasons people dislike frame bindings. But the skis are great and surprisingly versatile, I like the big long rocker in the tip combined with the straight flat tail. They've been great every time I toured on them (for the downhill) but are a bit heavy for that. I was originally going to remount the Shifts here.
-Armada Bubba (132 underfoot @188) ludicrously deep day skis. These will last for a long time because they only come out on the biggest bottomless days and never get any base damage. Have had some of the best ski days of my life on these skis but they are heavy and obviously never touring.

So I think I want something between the Tahoe and the Norwalk which would take the plurality of days. I'd still ski the Tahoe if it's really firm or low tide. Norwalks would still be the default on pow days (and I'd be tempted to remount an alpine binding on them). But something new that's like 105-110ish underfoot for most everything else seems appropriate. Doesn't necessarily need to be a dedicated "touring" layup because tours will be maybe 15% of the ski's time and I don't do real long ones anyway.

So what's good now?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

alnilam posted:

I always wondered about this too, I used to go to a cabin up on that road a lot and even in snow I never once saw the lodge open.

Laurel Mountain goonmeet, who’s in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

So apparently Vail has been jerking around the Park City patroller's union for well over a year now

https://www.parkrecord.com/news/summit-county/wages-a-sticking-point-in-pcmr-ski-patrol-contract-negotiations/

quote:

Ski patrollers at Park City Mountain Resort are working without a contract in place for a second season as negotiations over wages between their union and PCMR owner Vail Resorts continue.

Brian Spieker, president of the Park City Professional Ski Patrol Association, the union representing ski patrollers and mountain safety personnel, said the “last open item is essentially wages.”

Vail Resorts is offering the patrol its own internal company minimum wage, which is $15 an hour starting for rookies, Spieker said. He said that’s not enough.

“We feel that the minimum wage offer does not address the complexities and skill sets required around ski patrolling, the certifications processes, the medical skills,” he said. “We feel that retention is tied to safety and we want to build and grow experienced patrollers. We don’t feel people are able to stick around for the years that are required to build these stronger, safer skill sets at the wages that are being offered.”

The season that kicked off Nov. 28 at the resort is the second that ski patrollers are working without a contract in place. The previous two-year contract covering the approximately 200 employees expired in November 2020.

The union and the company have been in discussions since August 2020 and held their 44th bargaining session on Monday.

Last January, ski patrollers picketed at PCMR hoping to gain community support. Some demonstrator carried signs saying, “Not on strike just practicing.” Patrollers also demonstrated on Nov. 28 at the Canyons Village base area during PCMR’s opening day.

But Spieker said a strike would be a last resort.

“No one involved wants a strike,” he said. “We very much would like to get a contract in place and get down to the business of ski patrolling. We believe that the company would like this as well. We’re just orbiting around the end here around the point of wages.”

The patrollers’ main goals have been salary increases and better sick leave benefits. The union is proposing preloading of sick leave so patrollers can be eligible for it right away instead of having to wait until they’ve worked a certain number of hours.

Brian Spieker, president of the Park City Professional Ski Patrol Association, says wages remain a sticking point in the association’s contract negotiations with PCMR owner Vail Resorts.
David Jackson/Park Record
A sticking point in the negotiations is that many other resorts in the area start patrollers at $17 an hour and that $2-an-hour difference makes it hard to keep employees long-term, according to the union.

“Under this proposal, our patrollers approaching a decade of experience will make under $20/hr, and we will have 20 year patrollers receiving less than a 75 cent wage increase,” a statement from the union’s executive board says. “In the face of a dramatic rise in the local cost of living and inflation, we have found ourselves in a deeply challenging situation. To ensure employee retention and a safer resort experience for all, it is critical that this contract moves us toward a livable wage for career patrollers.”

The union says ski patrollers – who provide medical, rescue and avalanche control services and work in adverse terrain and weather conditions – statistically have one of the most dangerous jobs in the United States and Canada and within the ski industry in general.

“The patrol very much believes that the public deserves something more than a minimum wage rescue,” Spieker said.

Sounds to me like they need to stage a strike during the holiday peak and/or the next big storm system.