Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Residency Evil posted:

So what are the chances that A-Basin stays open until I get to Denver in late June? Does anywhere else stay open that long?

No chance this year. making it to Memorial day will be pushing it this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Today was mighty fine in the backcountry. Soft soft powder.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

kemper and splitboard... not words I would put together. Price is right though to try it.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

kiimo posted:

I for one appreciate Kemper never changing its graphic styling since the 80s

It is left over stock. They were way ahead of their time re: Splits.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Reminder to self... buy a pass for next year.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Residency Evil posted:

Looking at the Ikon pass options, would I really miss out by saving $120 bucks and getting the "Ikon Base Plus" pass instead of the full Ikon pass? Looks like the full pass would get me no blackout dates along with unlimited access to Steamboat (versus 5 days) and 7 days at Aspen (instead of 5 days). First time living in Denver so I'm not sure how annoying it is going to places regularly.

If you are day tripping you will only be skiing copper or winter park. all the rest of the ikon is overnight. So how much you want to travel is the question?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

waffle enthusiast posted:

*Or Eldora and five days at A-Basin.

I intentionally left off Eldora because.... well yeah.

I am interested to see what A-basin will allow, can you just show up with a Ikon?, since they are limiting ticket sales. I haven't looked because I doubt I will ever switch to Ikon.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah this was my wife’s point too. Doing a weekend or two at steamboat and a weekend or two in aspen, on top of winter park/copper seems pretty good, but maybe we’re going to want to do way more?

This too. Not sure how many locals try to specifically avoid those weekends if it gets packed.

I mostly ride in the back country so hard for me to say.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I have a real hard time believing that the house in that photo is 7 beds and 8 baths.

E: pics and price don't line up on zillow. Granted the place that is at that address was still $3M in 2016....

E2: You should buy this lot...it is a steal: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/E-Gregory-Ave-Telluride-CO-81435/250129710_zpid/

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 30, 2021

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

lol....sigh

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Steve French posted:

Nice! I managed 15 backcountry days and 28 resort days; not a ton but more than I've managed probably since college. Living in the mountains helps, haha. I didn't really figure out a strategy for getting out on work days consistently until the end of the season (solution is to wake up and start working at 6 AM every day and then taking a few hours out of the middle of the day to ski isn't a problem). So I'm hoping to do a lot more next winter.

I love human powered skiing, but there's also something to be said for lifts; I love the down far too much to be limited to the vert I can get in under my own power. And yet I keep encountering people this season who see it as a point of pride to ski only backcountry. Like, a friend of a friend who showed up for beers at the end of a ski day at Squaw after doing a tour and then made some comment about "oh I don't need lifts."

Lots of respect and props to folks who get in a ton of backcountry days and vert. Seriously, love it. I'll appreciate how much people get out on the backcountry, but I can't give two shits about how little they go to the resort.

Imagining how long it would take to see serious improvement in someone's skiing abilities if all they did was tour.

Very good stuff. The best thing about the backcountry is riding some form of powder instead of ice.

I am at 33 backcountry days and 7 resort days this year. Might get a few more in, but bikes are calling. I am looking forward to some more regular resort riding next year. I only chased 1 powder day this season in the resort.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Anachronist posted:

Did some skiing at spwrozek’s secret stash today. Turns on the west aspects were excessively crusty even in the afternoon, lots of cloud cover and wind. Good views though!

Ha, nice. We were on the fence about skiing today thinking it might be kind of crusty. So we went mountain biking and beer drinking instead.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Anachronist posted:

Not a bad choice either I’m sure. E aspects were a slush fest even with the clouds in the afternoon. I got there too late to ski any of that today.

Also there was a bomb threat on 70 3 miles west of the tunnel so that’s fun. Lots of backup on Loveland Pass.

Well that is crazy! Looks like you had a good time still.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Residency Evil posted:

I'll be there in 1 month. :ohdear:

It will not be worth it past next weekend. Breck just gave it up.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moey posted:

It has rained the past few days, pretty hard yesterday.

Unsure if I want to go out for some last laps this season or just pack it up.

We are in bike mode at this point and off to Moab for the weekend.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot .1415926535 posted:

The original was no sleeping in vehicles but lol it’s painfully true

Sleeping in Vehicles is the local housing though....right? so same/same?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

That is sweet man. Also jealous you are in winter and riding right now.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Something about sliding on snow being good and cool for all.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

So many sun cups! ha. Nice job man. looks like fun and terribleness all at once.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot .1415926535 posted:

I have no idea how I’m gonna do this in snowboard boots but I do know it’s been done.

Crampons and an ice axe or two is my guess.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

What's up Hot Cop.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

highme posted:

Looks like CDOT is gonna have to do a fuckton of work if I-70 is gonna open before the season begins.

https://twitter.com/DenverChannel/status/1422327765504774144

I doubt they get it stabilized this year. AS long as you don't want to go to Aspen it is cool though.

It is NOT cool for western slope bike season though.

E: this is the 3rd (4th?) time they have closed the highway.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Aug 3, 2021

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Tweak posted:

I bought an electric skateboard this off season and can confirm. I also was served an ad for this thing the other day:

https://summerboard.com/pages/sbx

imagine catching an edge on pavement

Looks like an electric free board. The free board feels amazingly like snowboarding on asphalt. The one wheel is alight but doesn't really feel like snowboarding to me.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

HookShot posted:

What will all those people with "Rob Katz skis in jeans" stickers do now?

he is still on the board so don't worry.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I probably should buy a ski pass for the season.... Here comes my money Vail.

$70 for an uphill is whatever. I pay that for my access to Vail Pass each winter. They really only rescue the snowmobilers.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 17, 2021

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Steve French posted:

Sooo the uphill season passes and day passes are the same price?

SWING and miss....

ironlung posted:

yes that is the joke i attempted to make

I thought it was quite good.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Residency Evil posted:

I have a pair of boots that I like, but I'm not sure I'm thrilled with, comfort wise. Now that I live in Denver, and plan on skiing more days/year, does it make sense to go to a boot fitter now, or should I wait until we're a bit in to the season?

Go now. You can't really test out boots. good fitters will adjust the boots for you as long as you have them. They will have more selection this time of year as well. Probably call though and see if they have got stock yet as who knows if the supply chain is still all messed up.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Residency Evil posted:

Cool, going now.

I made an appointment at this place: https://www.bootmechanics.com/bookings-checkout/new-boot-fitting?referral=service_list_widget

How important is getting "custom footbeds" as well as boots?

Boot Mech is a good one to go to. I do not recommend the custom foot beds unless you know that stock foot beds cause you issues. You can always add them later once you ride in the boots and break them in.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Residency Evil posted:

Awesome, that's super helpful. Anywhere else you'd go instead? I know Boot Mechanic has been recommended before.

Nah, go there. I got my last boots at Larry's but honestly not that impressed with them. He just hires a bunch of kids and the experienced people only work on your boots if you come back with issues.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

HookShot posted:

If you happen to know your feet are dumb for some reason (I, for example, have the flattest feet known to man) I’d recommend getting the custom footbeds right away to save you some time and pain but if you’ve never had issues with your feet before yeah, don’t bother for now.

If your feet are real dumb it is probably better to get a pediatrist to look at it/make an insole vs some "Cork insert marketing BS" thing from a boot fitter.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

HookShot posted:

Oh yeah fair my boot fitter is an ex World Cup guy so he does make real ones and not the cork bullshit, but this is an excellent point that I did not think of

I was just making more of a general statement as I am sure there are people out there who know the best thing for feet.

Residency Evil posted:

My boots are about 7 years old and constantly feel like they're trying to kill my feet. It's probably not worth bringing them to the boot fitters to see if they can make them better, right?

edit: I got the Ikon pass this year and I have a friend coming from out of town to ski (of course) Vail and BC the weekend of (of course) President's day. Is buying a 3/4 day Epic pass the cheapest option for me to ski? Buddy tickets/SWAF tickets aren't any cheaper, right?

Those boots I would trash.

So the Epic day pass for 4 days with no black outs is $96/day. Vail/BC SWAF is 25% off the window so around $150/day. They don't have Buddy Pass prices listed yet but it will be around $120/day I would guess.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

barkbell posted:

Just moved to Denver and want to hit the slopes this year. 20yrs ago I lived in Park City and skied every fri/sat for a whole season, however I always wanted to learn to snowboard so I think I'm going to do that.

Thanks for the op, I have a few questions though:

If I buy a package of lessons does that usually give access to the mountain, or does that vary place to place?

For mountain access I need to budget in a ski pass and then lift tickets, or are there other things I need to budget for that I'm not thinking of, does something like the ikon pass just cover all of this?

Also if anyone has advice on where to begin around Denver that would be cool too.

If you don't care about basically going to one place only this is generally the best deal. https://skiloveland.com/newcomers-3-class-pass/ 3 half day classes and a season pass to loveland for $550. It also includes rentals for those 3 days which is nice. The cheapest big resort pass is Epic Local for $580 and you get no lessons (I think pass price just went up). Lessons at Breck/keystone will be a lot.

If you buy a season pass you get to ride at those places all year (sometimes there are blackouts though). Lessons cost more and are separate. You can rent a board and stuff each time but again gets expensive. you can get a decent package of gear from EVO like this: https://www.evo.com/snowboard-packa...boots-2022-.jpg (might not be what you need, just an example)

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

barkbell posted:

are lift tickets including in a season pass?

e: i was thinking about the ikon base pass, pay for some lessons at eldora, rent equipment for the season from rei or wherever. mainly ski just a couple resorts but maybe take a week trip to breck in march

Well Breck is Epic pass and not Ikon Pass so that will be difficult. Ikon base and go to Eldora will be fine, you can check out Winter Park and Copper pretty easily. The loveland pass gets you Powder Alliance and a bunch of other partner days (https://skiloveland.com/season-passes/ and https://powderalliance.com/).

Ikon Base $800, Eldora Lessons ~$500 for 4 half days. There is also this if you plan to drive up to Eldora on weekends and are solo:

New Single-Occupancy Vehicle (SOV) Fee: Boulder County is requiring Eldora to charge SOVs $10 per vehicle on Saturdays, Sundays, and holiday periods. SOVs will be parked in a designated SOV zone and fees collected will fund Eldora’s Sustainable Transportation Program, which provides free round-trip transportation to Eldora from Boulder on weekends and holidays.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Just got in line to get the boat winterized, starting to put away summer clothes, and starting to think about a new snowboard for the winter. :stoked:

Was in a call today with a bunch of lodging companies from all over the state and it sounds like Breck is beating Telluride for the worst town government and anti-tourist sentiment, which is quite an achievement.

e: I also want to add that I really appreciate this thread being temporally located in 2018/2019 and I hope it never changes

Me: i might get a new board this year
GF: you what?
Me: get a new board, think mine is a bit long
GF: you do not need more snowboards
Me: it is my money
GF: that is true
Me: starts looking at new boards

(She really is awesome and totally owns too many skis)

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Eejit posted:

I was there for this and I do not think she owns more skis than you own skis and boards

Also just buy more mountain sliding planks. God knows that's on my agenda this year

haha. you sir are a RAT! haha. correct though.... 2 skis for her. 5 boards and skis for me...

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

bawfuls posted:

lol the suggestion that 2 pairs of skis is anywhere close to too many, is pure slander

This is true.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

HookShot posted:

YOU CAN'T TELL ME IM NEVER GOING TO USE MY DOWNHILL SKIS AGAIN I REFUSE TO BELIEVE YOU

*sobs*

Turn it into a chair and use them forever.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Wistful of Dollars posted:

in a plot twist she only has 1 pair of bindings

I loled at this one pretty good.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

bawfuls posted:

logo owns, rip Shane

They totally nailed it with the logo and the name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

kiimo posted:

Hi friends, I'm visiting Harbor Springs, MI right now and there are ski shops everywhere. WTF google says that there are 40 ski resorts up here?

Are any of them worth a drat? I'm used to Mammoth and Heavenly for reference. I am interested in Nub's Nob for comedy photos alone.

Is Nubs mammoth? Obviously no.

I love Nubs though. I still have a long sleeve and sweat pants from there. It is my favorite downstate resort. If you are there in the winter i would ski it. I would honestly fly back from Colorado if my Ohio/Michigan family asked me to for a family trip there.