Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Hi everyone, I forgot this thread existed. I live in the southeast but go out to Aspen/Snowmass a few times a year. Looks like we’ll have about 6 inches of powder tomorrow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Eejit posted:

Oh Yo what up. It you see someone skiing way better than you tomorrow say hi.

Also I'm going to be surrounded by people busy falling down so it should help me look good but that's entirely coincidental.

I’ll be boarding, so I’m sure you’ve got me beat on skis! Hope you don’t get stuck with a super noob group tomorrow.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Not quite first, but pretty darn close! Glades were just phenomenal this morning.

Omerta fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Feb 21, 2021

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

These are sitting in my closet right now.

I can’t wait for winter. If work permits, I’m going to try to spend Jan/Feb working in Snowmass. I spent three weeks out last time and didn’t get much in other than weekends, but it was still awesome.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I’ll be out in Snowmass for all of February again and can’t wait.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

My wife is going out of town so I'm spending President's day in Aspen. If I ski for three days, how should i split it up?

Eejit posted:

Ajax, Highlands, Snowmass

Eejit has way more cred than I do, so go with this.

But an alternative would be Snowmass/Highlands/Snowmass. That’s about my ratio when I go out.

Snowmass got about two feet in the last two days, apparently!

Edit:

Eejit, I was thinking about doing snow cat or heli runs this season. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Omerta fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 25, 2021

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Thanks for all the great answers! I was thinking specific to the Aspen/Snowmass area, but I had no idea if it was worth it.

I’m booked for 10 days in early Feb and it can’t get here soon enough! I might have to see if I can sneak out for a weekend before then. I’m in Atlanta, though, so it’s not exactly a quick jaunt to CO.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Thanks guys, I'm pumped to ski at Aspen for the first time! Any favorite places to check out for dinner? My wife and I were there this fall and a lot of things had begun to shut down for their break.

I like Cache Cache, but you can do some real damage if you like wine. Matsuhisa is great for sushi, also pricey. Il Poggio in Snowmass is excellent Italian. The J Bar at Hotel Jerome is a popular spot to grab a cocktail.

Unfortunately, I’m just going to miss you. I’m flying back on 2/17.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I bought a new snowboard as a present to myself: Amplid Souly Grail.

My other board is a NS West, which is all around solid but I feel like it got unstable when I was hauling rear end. And, maybe my deep powder form just isn’t that great, but I had a tough time linking turns and keeping the nose up in deep powder even when set back.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Eejit posted:

Highlands Bowl is literally all time today. One of the top 3 runs of my life.

I’m jelly.

quote:

I will take every chance I get as a plebian to sling a bit of poo poo at rich people with poor taste.

Aspen is a target rich environment for those.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Just set up the new board. It looks amazing and I CANNOT WAIT to take it out tomorrow.

Amplid Souly Grail and Union Atlas bindings.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I had a whole post written out and the app crashed, so I’m writing a cliff notes version.

I took the Souly Grail out for the first day today. It was amazing—total rocket ship. This thing is meant to haul rear end and carve, and it’s very good at both. I felt so stable and was able to get and stay on edge. Spent the whole day on groomed blues making huge turns and practicing my eurocarve.

I also had an equipment malfunction, which I’ll attribute to my intense carving. I keep my highbacks pushed forward (which I highly recommend if you don’t). After about 5 runs, I felt like I was loose in the trail foot and figured out why when I stopped:

There’s supposed to be another plate there to set the binding angle, and I guess I just put enough stress on the plastic that the piece dislodged. That’s the only explanation I can think of because the screw that held it in place was still on. I grabbed a replacement part but am still pretty disappointed—shouldn’t have that kind of an error on top-tier bindings.

Also, I had 3 people compliment my board, so it looks nice, too.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

loving Union binding broke again.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Seems bad. Have you reached out?

I’m going to send them back to Union once my trip ends. Not sure if I’m going to go with the Atlas bindings again or a different model.

waffle enthusiast posted:

Seconding Zeal for both goggles and sunglasses.

Thirding Zeal. I’ve had them for the last 5-8 years or so and they’re great.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Closing in on 5 inches of new snow at Snowmass. Glad my flight isn’t until the afternoon tomorrow!

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

:getin:

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

:nice:

We're skiing tomorrow - Sunday. :(

Awesome day today!

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I can’t remember if I posted about riding it, but I bought the Amplid Souly Grail last season and the thing was an absolute rocket ship. Incredibly fun to just haul rear end and carve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

Really coming down in Snowmass, apparently. I desperately want to get out this winter but idk if I’ll be able to due to a horrible work schedule.