Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

My problem with bibs is that I ride hot. Like, unless it's under 10F out, bibs are just too hot for me. And the bibs I had were only very lightly insulated. Otherwise they're very comfy

I do kind of wish my current pants had zip in/out bibs. The old pants with that option aren't really waterproof anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I have stiff boots and generally buckle them pretty tight. My feet get cold and my right big toe usually gets a little numb. Not miserable, but I do flip a few buckles up on the chair most of the time

No socks is madness though. Not just for comfort but also because they wick sweat away

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Moot . posted:

Are Langes good for narrow feet? I’ve been told Salomons are the best for narrow feet but when my current boots are finished I’d like to have a couple of options to shop.

Yeah, they make 97mm lasts that are solid for narrow feet.

Fortunately they also make really good boots with 100mm lasts which works for me because my feet are roughly pancake shaped

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Dangerllama posted:

So…turns out the Marmot Minimalist just doesn't have some of the features I'd like in a winter jacket (roomy neck area to cover up your face on the up; helmet compatible hood; pockets for days). The Trew stuff looks awesome, but the measurements lead me to believe it's fitted for taller folks. The Flylow Quantum Pro gets…weird reviews about a scratchy liner or something. Other than Arcteryx and Patagucci, are there other jackets I should be looking at? I'm looking for a solid shell that'll work inbounds and out w/ whatever layers.

I wear a Strafe Nomad and I super like it. It is a pretty burly shell that I find works great for inbounds riding, and works great on short hikes.

From what I hear, the Pyramid is similar quality but uses a four way stretchy fabric that's still 3L waterproof if you want a bit more mobility. I don't really have an issue with the non-stretchy, traditional shell construction for hiking the bowl or riding around the resort with the Nomad, but I could see wanting something with a bit more stretch if you take long tours.

https://www.strafeouterwear.com/product/nomad-jacket-2/

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

ironlung posted:

I think I had my best turns of the season today... this winter in CO is blowing last yr out of the water. Heard WC has already passed last season's total snowfall. We've gotta be getting close too.

e: just looked it up, we are officially past last year after the current storm cycle

Yeah man I skied the gated stuff off Bliss at Snowmass yesterday (Buckskin, Rock Island, etc) and a few of my lines were actually and without exaggeration waist deep

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

drat that's a lot of snow

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Found a really neat pillow-ish line yesterday after an unintended (5 ft) cliff drop. Was a highlight of the season kind of run despite the rest of the skiing being good but not particularly deep.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I’m in Western NY and there’s consistently more people in the bar than on the slopes 🤔

Can confirm this is the Aspen MO as well

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

ironlung posted:

I can't decide if it's (ikon) making a difference in Aspen. Any time there's a line this season people complain that it's because of the Ikon pass. But yesterday for example, 7" of blower pow in the am report on a bluebird Saturday in February during a really good season... it's going to be crowded Ikon or not. My buddy wouldn't shut up about it yet he has lived here his whole life and stood in line on weekend pow days before. And still, the gondola wait at the bottom at the worst was maybe 10-15 minutes around 10:30am. I literally walked straight onto the gondy at 9am, zero line and we were skiing onto most chairs all day or waiting like 60-90 seconds.

Having about 70 days in the Aspen area over two seasons thus far, I have yet to encounter longer than a 5 minute lift line. For the 5 seasons and ~250 days I skied out of Denver, a 5 minute lift line was pretty amazing. On a powder day, 30 minute lines would be the norm. On seasonally crowded days, particularly any weekend in Feb or any day where there was an unusually large number of Denver day trippers, lines could be 45 mns to an hour.

Anyone who complains about lines in Aspen is a huge baby. Given how much much of an ordeal it is to travel from Basalt to Carbondale for so many people, it's not surprising, but it is disappointing.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Aspen is mildly outrageous today and slated to get outrageouser throughout the weekend. God I love skiing

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

ironlung posted:

Yesterday was the best ski day I've had in about 4 years. So ridiculously good.

Agreed. Highlands was the tits, where did you ski?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

ironlung posted:

Ajax. I was in line about 5-10 minutes behind first bucket which worked out perfectly because Kristi/Walsh's were delayed slightly. I skied up right after it opened and was the second person down Kristi. I ski that run like 100 times every season and that was probably top 3 ever.

Then I got lucky again on my 3rd lap and caught Traynor's right after they dropped the rope, I skied down the ridge and dropped into the first untracked line I saw and that was another all-timer.

I'm sure Highlands was amazing. Hard for me to justify going out there these days w/kiddo @ home. Ajax is so much more time efficient since you can park a couple blocks from the gondy for free. Did they get the bowl open?

Yeah, my bowl lap was outrageous. Middle of the conga line, but one of the first to click in and drop into White Kitchen.

The lines were actually kind of insane though. Like, not Breck level, but there were quite a few people. DT in particular after the bowl was a doozie

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Towards Aspen and even Vail it's not really bad, but there's already a foot of snow on the divide. Hope nobody needs to go between Denver and the mountains for the next little while

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

spwrozek posted:

Today was a big rear end day.

https://strava.app.link/3cLljKbawV

The morning glow

Mount Toll in the distance

Me skinning up

My buddy setting track

Time to start booting

My buddy breaking trail

Almost there

Finally at the top

Almost ready to go down

Looking back up

Video of my buddy booting
https://youtu.be/jFzcuedbecs

Video topping out
https://youtu.be/1uVMKoi804Y

My buddy tip toeing (guess he was worried about the bit of crust)
https://youtu.be/3weM4YqWJ1Q

Me heading down (vertical video... Come on man)
https://youtu.be/F7QvjXSm0Xc

All in all a great day and really a great weekend. We probably were the first people to ski the peak this year.

Looks like an awesome adventure! Pictures/videos are sick

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I got a Jeep Patriot for like 6.5k off KBB and it has been magnitudes of order better than I thought it would be

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Highlands Bowl was stupid good today. A weird, super soft, heavy, coat of spring fresh on top of sorta slushy spring snow in the Gs. Like, I had two runs I would kill for in mid winter

Also some dude hiked up and put up "PROM," then hiked up with the girl he was asking out, then hiked up again to get the sign. Hardcore poo poo

E

Eejit fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 8, 2019

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Any article that doesn't list Abasin is loving ignorant

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

W E L P

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

So sad I am working in Denver this weekend. Highlands looks so good from town

Definitely going to get a day or maybe two in at Abasin in May. So fun and I absolutely need some of that mid mountain BBQ

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I doubt even Breck is all that expensive. I think Frisco or Dillon will be better than Keystone which will be hyper dead. But if you don't care about going out to eat or drink in the evenings, Keystone would be a good play

Agreed on Outer Range. I should have stopped and gotten a growler fill as I drove by twice this past weekend

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Alternatively, go with a soft boot ski setup

https://www.apexskiboots.com/

Ski hard, walk easy

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Why are you guys making GBS threads on hard ski boots. I see the super cool, old ski instructors use them and they do great skidded turns on flat groomers. You gotta follow the pros

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Varg posted:

or they're on a monoski

Have you considered tandem monoski?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Aspen is reopening this weekend. Gonna enjoy the hell out of the wild poo poo show

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Purg too, $29. Chaos.

Yeah it's like $54/day at Aspen for ~150 acres. Good ol' SkiCo!

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I skied Aspen yesterday and it was good. Thank you Al Gore for inventing climate change and this endless winter

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

My sister went yesterday and said it was a very solid party. I would have gone too but I'm in Columbus for work, which is in my opinion suboptimal

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Yeah seems perfect for Abasin, honestly

Also I have the Ikon included in my Aspen pass (FINALLY) so I am not complaining at all

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I think it will help a poo poo ton. Epic still has the lion's share of the Denver market, so I think it will reduce weekend visits by a lot

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I mean we'll see, I guess. I personally don't understand the mass switchover from Denver day trippers because you get two resorts instead of four for regular riding.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

spwrozek posted:

Fwiw last year you would have had tones of snow in November. November 1- December 25th I skied 17 days and 16 were powder.

E: there is also no waterskiing near Vail though....

Yeah it was absolutely insane. Gonna miss last season a lot.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I would be interested to see how this compares to last years prediction. Did they do a similar infographic?

Edit: Just kidding, only took a second of searching

OpenSnow did an article re long term forecasts

https://opensnow.com/news/post/did-anyone-accurately-predict-the-2018-19-winter-season

The answer is that nobody did a good job

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Looks loving beautiful, those are great shots

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Always wear my pole straps, I crash all the time, no pole strap injuries yet

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I just qualified for and signed on affordable housing in Basalt (15 mi out of Aspen) for $2000 for a 2BR. Granted it's 2BR, but it's also quite small. Similar qualification system regarding income. It's sad how hard rich people who already own property are super into loving over literally everyone else, especially people attempting to have a career but who don't have gently caress you ski resort money

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Honestly it's housing in general, not just ski towns, but when affordable housing caps at $100k to qualify and it's $2000/mo, you're asking the unicorns at the top end of the spectrum to pay a quarter of their income. That's really as much as you want to pay. But then when you have people or households earning 80, 70, maybe 60k or less, you start to have insane proportions of income to rent. It just blows. It might be the market rate, but affordable housing should actually be affordable

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Also snow levels are dependent on small scale events, ie storms. Maybe the climate will be warmer than average, but a good storm pattern here and there can create a good base

Basically go re read the Open Snow article about accuracy for the 18-19 season

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Yo gently caress Vail Resorts, Abasin for life. You poor dumb bastard Epic kids got cucked

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Let's also not forget that the dinner roll was cutting edge a mere 17 years ago. Now if you can't throw a switch dub blunt 12 off a trailside kicker just lol

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

gently caress I cannot wait to meet Fry

Also I have an AT setup now, so drive a little further to the Roaring Fork Valley or let me know next time you're on Vail Pass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

It's finally snowing in Aspen. Skinned up Snowmass yesterday and it's, uh, going to be a bony opening weekend. But if it keeps up, we'll be pretty good