Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

That's always so exciting. Good for you, dude!

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Epitope posted:

I went to crested butte for spring break in like '96, and it blew my little midwest mind. In addition to omg speed quad, runs that last forever, woah mogals, one of the main memories I have is all the loud yahoos in Dallas cowboys jackets and stetsons

Hasn't changed much

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I think it's more about management shafting the locals and less about tourists in general

Ask me about my discount pass costing $1900, a $500+ change from two years ago

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Looks dope as hell, man

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

You know what I'm really looking forward to? Driving to Denver next Friday from Basalt to catch a 730 flight and getting off work at 130. I'm already STRESSED

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I don't mind the onion. The old leaf looked old, and maybe they went a bit too modern on it, but I'd put an onion bumper sticker on my jeep.

The uphill pass is pretty whatever. I think they need an uphill day pass option, but ultimately, what. ever.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

spwrozek posted:

Me: i might get a new board this year
GF: you what?
Me: get a new board, think mine is a bit long
GF: you do not need more snowboards
Me: it is my money
GF: that is true
Me: starts looking at new boards

(She really is awesome and totally owns too many skis)

I was there for this and I do not think she owns more skis than you own skis and boards

Also just buy more mountain sliding planks. God knows that's on my agenda this year

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

waffle enthusiast posted:

I have three pairs, one of which is a set I agreed to store for a friend about six years ago that have never been used, or even mounted.

Speaking of skis, I’m trying to replace my ancient 2013 Nomads RKRs with something that’ll suffice for 60/40 in/out. Mostly bumps/steeps/trees inbounds. The plan is to mount my existing kingpins on ‘em. Eventually I’ll get a dedicated inbounds setup, but I’m lazy and this has worked okay enough for however many years.

I love the 105 underfoot since I don’t ski boilerplate or zipper line bumps, but the original Nomad RKR always been a little heavy for touring. I’m curious if anyone has recommendations of other skis to consider (I know I’m asking a lot of one pair).

So far I’m thinking of looking at Nomad Lite 105, Black Crows something something, DPS something something (with the advantage here being that they would shave extra grams off my wallet). Any other ideas from folks?

I have DPS Wailer 105 Pures and they are OK but not amazing. They are great for touring in that they're light but still have performance on the down, but they're not nearly as burly as an inbounds dedicated ski.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Residency Evil posted:

I have a pair of Volkl Mantras from 2016/2017 as my only pair of skis. I should probably ski on these for at least another season before getting something new right? How do most people split their ski duties between multiple pairs, if they're primarily skiing at resorts?

I have one pair of skis that's like 95 underfoot, burly af, two sheets of metal, and just a bit of rocker. Great for days with little to no new snow.

I also have full wood, 115 underfoot, hella rockered skis for pow days.

I don't think I need any more than that. Maybe if I skied park, but otherwise that gets it done for me.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Has anyone ridden the Masterblaster from JSkis? Thinking about that or the Fastforward. But also considering the Enforcer 94 since they all run about the same price. My old Line Supernaturals are pretty flapped out at this point and the bases and edges have rolled several natural 1's, so it's time to retire them to rock ski duty.

I want something for non-pow days since I already have my powder skis set, so kind of leaning away from the Masterblaster since I really just don't care how good this pair of skis is in anything bigger than an inch or two of fresh.

Road ride up towards Ashcroft, so that's a view towards Taylor/Pearl/Star peaks. The Bells and Pyramid also looked very pretty with a dusting.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

luminalflux posted:

We're likely heading to Sweden for Christmas, and while that's fun and all it would be cool to get in some skiing between like, boxing day and after NYE. Looking at current travel rules and historic snow amounts, while we can go to Åre, Trysil would have better snow but isn't letting non-Norwegians in. So now I'm loosely thinking about the Alps. Thing is, I've never been skiing there and don't really know where to start looking.

I'm a fairly advanced skier, wife is newbie/intermediate. What are some good places in the alps we should look at that are easy-ish to get to by flying/train without breaking the bank (we don't care hugely about apres ski / fine dining / luxury shopping)?

Austria, Austria, Austria. It's just like so friendly and easy to get around.

Out of the places I've been, I would recommend Kitz or St Anton. St Anton is right on a major rail line, Kitz requires like an additional 30 minutes and a transfer, but it's straightforward.

Sölden and Ischgl have glaciers so they might be preferable for early season. They are, just like everywhere else in Austria, super easy to get to by train.

I would fly into Munich or Salzburg, but Vienna and Zurich are also options. Also all of those cities are delightful if you want to spend a day or two before/after skiing.

I seriously love Austria, it's like a much more friendly Germany, and the mountains are just amazing. Super recommend.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Beaver Creek hosts a world cup every year and the mountain is still quite skiable. So doing Garmisch during that time would be no problem is my guess

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Residency Evil posted:

Are things usually more decent by Thanksgiving? Trying to figure out if it's worth it for my sister to bring her stuff for a day out on Friday/Saturday.

Impossible to forecast. Sometimes Thanksgiving has great conditions, other times it's still essentially wrod. We'll know more by early Nov

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

I’m really hoping I won’t hate riding in hardboots since they’re so much better for the actual touring part of touring. I got the link levers as well and those are supposed to be a game changer.

Been building stoke by watching the Arctic lines series on YouTube and rereading staying alive in avalanche terrain.

That's a very good book. Doesn't replace classroom and field training, but it's got so much good information

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Just bought these to replace some very badly abused Line Supernaturals. Ship Dec 15 but I ain't mad

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Can't go wrong with the Enforcers. Been on them twice and they're great for tooling around the resort on a non pow day.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Get the 94s. If you're looking for all mountain performance, that's the sweet spot. Great on groomers, won't get rattled anywhere else.

Honestly the whole edge to edge thing is barely noticeable. If you're racing on a FIS piste, sure, but on a groomed resort run you'll be fine.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Amputate

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

IncredibleIgloo posted:

My local mountain (Mt. Hood) had some snow, but lately it has been pure rain so has nothing right now. I have a trip to Park City planned for December 12th, and they have just pushed back their open date. I was a little worried that there would not be a lot of terrain open at the time, but now I am starting to worry about it opening at all by then.

Park City is pretty low altitude so it is super unreliable early season. AltaBird and Brighton / Soli are way better Utah bets. Or Colorado in Summit Co due to very high altitude

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Residency Evil posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for baselayer bottoms? Apparently 3/4 length stuff is ideal?

3/4 length is bomb. I just bought four of the Smartwool ones they have on Backcountry

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Maaaan I'm gonna be working in Austin that weekend or I'd also drive down.

Aspen zone also sparse. I think stuff up really high like at 12.5 or 13 might be decent, but that would also require tons of hiking.

Was thinking a Thanksgiving ish tour in Summit along the divide might be the way to go.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Fry is the best touring dog and I'll fight anyone that says otherwise

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Steve French posted:

Asulkan cabin in glacier national park (Canadian one). Early March.

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/bc/glacier/activ/passez-stay/cabines-cabins#asulkan

Sick, that looks loving awesome

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Holy poo poo

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

spwrozek posted:

The Seattle Times: One dead, five rescued after avalanche at Crystal Mountain.
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattl...SS_seattle-news

Well gently caress...

Sad to read. A good reminder that you gotta be paying attention on the way up as well as the way down.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Residency Evil posted:

What the gently caress 2 hours 40 minutes to get home?

LOL did you not know that is normal on weekends?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Skied yesterday just for an hour before work and it was good. Glad that CO might have a really good storm cycle setting up around Christmas. While I'm off work :getin:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Volie straps holding everything together is a pretty good metaphor for my life. BRB submitting something to 14er memer

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

That's loving wild. Happy for y'all!

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I have been very pleased with my Strafe gear

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Omerta posted:

I’ll be out in Snowmass for all of February again and can’t wait.

Say hi! It skied very well today. Like, very very well

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Residency Evil posted:

My wife is going out of town so I'm spending President's day in Aspen. If I ski for three days, how should i split it up?

Ajax, Highlands, Snowmass

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Residency Evil posted:

In that order?

In whatever order you please!

Omerta posted:

Eejit has way more cred than I do, so go with this.

But an alternative would be Snowmass/Highlands/Snowmass. That’s about my ratio when I go out.

Snowmass got about two feet in the last two days, apparently!

Edit:

Eejit, I was thinking about doing snow cat or heli runs this season. Any thoughts or recommendations?

In Colorado? I don't think we have a local heli ski operator. There's a cat op that runs off the back of Ajax but it's not worth it. Better to just tour out the back and you reach the terrain they use in... 20? minutes. There's a lot of great, safe terrain you can reach by touring out of the resorts. There's also a lot of dangerous terrain, too, haha

Also to clarify, CO is not like AK with regards to backcountry usage. The snowpack is very unstable until mid-spring, so we can't just pop out of bounds and ski a sick line. It requires tons of research and the right conditions to ride anything steeper than 30 degrees.

Eejit fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 25, 2021

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Ah yeah, I meant local heli operator in Aspen. We had one a while back, but they've been out of operations for a while.

Gf and I are saving for an AK heli trip. Like in 5-8 years probably, but slowly and surely getting there. Would love to get to Silverton soon

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Mr Newsman posted:

After like 4 years of riding in boots that crush my arch (Nordica Speed Machine 110 for reference) I'm looking for something new.

Anyone with decently high arches have boot recommendations? I've got a 101.5-102mm last and am solidly at 26.5 mondo (if not just above).

Haven't visited a boot fitter recently but would like to check out some boots and have an idea of what to try before going into a shop.

Advanced - expert, non racer, east coast groomers and trees are where I'm at (Sugarloaf ME). Realistically comfort is more important than performance since I'm not really doing much that demands any sort of hyper response.

Thoughts on models/brands? Atomic Hawx, Rossi Alltrax are what I'm seeing pop up after doing some basic research.

Edit: instep height measurement is like 30.5cm from base of heel over the ankle if I'm measuring that right.

Lange RX whatever stiffness you want. I have flat feet and they're good for me.

Residency Evil posted:

Thanks guys, I'm pumped to ski at Aspen for the first time! Any favorite places to check out for dinner? My wife and I were there this fall and a lot of things had begun to shut down for their break.

All the food is good, but it's expensive. I like Slow Groovin in Snowmass and Home Team by Buttermilk for BBQ. Otherwise I don't usually eat up valley unless it's something like Zane's or Grateful Deli. I did have a great meal at Campo de Fiori so I would recommend that!

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

spwrozek posted:

It was too deep today. Sooooooooooooo fun though. Something about the back country just brings an extra wide smile to my face. No pics as it was coming down pretty hard all day.

Yeah, it was pretty outrageous. Soft and fluffy on top, a little dense and springy at the base. Just delightful

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Drive where you want, but holy moly please be prepared for the conditions and don't drive like an rear end in a top hat. The FWD minivans and etc spinning in circles and the pickup trucks doing the Daytona 500 around them can all gently caress off

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Highlands Bowl is literally all time today. One of the top 3 runs of my life.

Also microwaves of Aspen is run by and content is supplied by people working in Aspen. If they live there, it's probably in APCHA housing. I will take every chance I get as a plebian to sling a bit of poo poo at rich people with poor taste.

It's not local entitlement, it's a reaction to oppressive wealth. Houses sell for 8 figures here regularly. Everything is wealthy. I can count on one hand the number of affordable places to eat in Aspen and on two hands the total affordable bars and restaurants in the entire upper valley. And it's not terribly better where I live, 20 miles away.

It's hard to articulate it entirely, but it's like the one release that we have against people who act and feel like they own us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

ironlung posted:

Edit to add: I spent the entire morning in the white room, and every chair was ski on. I guess everyone was hung over.

Yeah, I thought yesterday was good, but today had even better turns in the bowl. 100% blower and untouched on steep ridges. Ughhhhhhh just thinking about it again is making my pants tight