Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Snow at Eldora is already as good as I remember it being at any point last year. I've been almost completely sedentary for a couple months and it feels great to get out again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

My last Eldora experience was insane winds that closed almost the entire mountain. Hope itís better.

It's always windy there. Today was no different. It really wasn't bad though.

Wore my Trew stuff for the first time, it obviously didn't get tested in any way. It does seem to let a bit more wind through than what I wore last year. On the flip side, I kept the jacket on for the ride home and to get coffee and never got hot and it's 60 degrees today.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

spwrozek posted:

E: yeah, I have no idea how people day trip from Denver. After 4 years of having a place I can't imagine going back.

It's dumb, but at least I don't have to do it on weekends. That helps a ton. I'd still prefer to have a seasonal condo, but with my schedule it isn't terrible outside of the 2 hours minimum each way thing.

Snow tires are a must for winter driving in the mountains. I bought them specifically for my trips out here when I lived in KC. I consider them a luxury anywhere else because they aren't cheap but you can't really skimp on them if you're into winter sports.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Going to Steamboat m-wed. Pretty pumped.

Everything is so good right now. I was up at Copper on Wednesday and it was great outside of them still not having anything open at the Central Village because they're still loving building the new lifts.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

xylo posted:

People care about what color their ski gear is?

Uh, yeah. The brighter the better.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Eejit posted:

Also I have vouchers for $39 lift tickets if you want em

I got one of these from a coworker. I might come up this week and ride on Wednesday if I feel like using it. I doubt I use all of my 5 days anyway, but a $40 lift ticket with these early season conditions is hard to beat.

What's this poo poo about Eldora charging for parking? It probably won't effect me since I ride during the week, but man that sucks.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

spwrozek posted:

Skied with a bunch of Texans that I work with at keystone today. It was super fun. I am not really sure what is going on but everyone must be on the icon pass this year because there is just no lift lines.

I'm sure that last year probably had some sort of effect on people planning early season trips for this year too. I work a decent amount of the ski country flights and it hasn't been very busy yet but I think that's pretty normal. The week around Christmas is where it really picks up.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

I think 70 is pretty hosed today. I was gonna go to Copper but ended up turning around in Idaho Springs when my ETA was still 2+ hours into the future. I probably could have gone to Winter Park but I just backtracked a little and went to Eldora yet again. Snow was alright at least!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Eejit posted:

I am so glad I don't have to deal with that bullshit anymore. It wasn't unbearable, but waking up at 730 and being in the lift line an hour and a half later is such a delight

Also leave earlier. No, earlier than that. And if it's snowing, find a way to leave even before it's early

I try not to wake up early on my days off. I have no problem with showing up to the mountain at 11. I'm not sitting in traffic for 2 hours though. It's usually not a huge issue on weekdays, even if it is snowing.

There is a supervisor bid out for Aspen tower but I seriously doubt I put in for it. I'd keep my pay for 3 years but take a massive pay cut after that if I wasn't able to get out. Like 40%+ kind of pay cut.

Moey posted:

I'm out of town but I heard nothing but good stuff about Summit County today. Go figure.

I'm sure it was great. Eldora was actually really decent too.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Eldora is decent, especially for the convenience factor.

Also, if you get up early on your days off then you are actually getting to sleep in on your workdays. Mind games.

The only thing Eldora really has going for it is the convenience factor.

I only have to wake up early on 3 of my work days. Still not worth it on my days off most of the time.

Dangerllama posted:

The snow informs the sleep schedule.

You're also supposed to wake up early to go fishing. My lazy rear end might be on the water by noon?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

A billion people flew into Aspen/Eagle/Rifle today, so I'd imagine there will be some people out tomorrow?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

spwrozek posted:

Well I broke my collar bone...

gently caress man, that sucks. Hopefully you have a speedy recovery.

bawfuls posted:

Park riding after 30: not even once

(I was bad at it as a youth anyway tho)

I didn't start snowboarding until I was 31. I've never set foot in the park. Gonna stay that way too.

Moot . posted:

:agreed: on park riding after 30 but why are people saying “riding” instead of skiing now? I mostly snowboard but most people I know say skiing to refer to both. I just started noticing skiers saying riding on like outside tv but I remember that being something people were adamant about in the 90s/2000s. It really doesn’t matter what you call snow-sliding I just think it must be regional how the vernacular changes.

I've always heard snowboarding called riding.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

There were so many people out today. I actually had to stand in lift lines and I didn't care for it. Go get jobs.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

tokenbrownguy posted:

I had a great time to this weekend. Got my first 12 run day in, only fell a bit, feeling more comfortable. :unsmith:

End of the day I went in for a piss and came out and my skiis were gone. Stuck around for another hour hoping somebody grabbed them by accident, but they never showed. Guess my season is over. Shouldn't have bought a season pass. :smith:

gently caress man, people are poo poo. If you're in Colorado and know how to snowboard I can loan you one of mine or something.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TMMadman posted:

At winter park today and I've decided that I'm just old and lazy and all I want to do while skiing is cruise blues/blue blacks and maybe a few groomed blacks. I have no real interest in moguls or extensive tree skiing (although ducking in/out at the edge of a trail is fun).

Also I wish I lived out here because I would absolutely try to do recreational racing stuff. That's the type of skiing I really enjoy.

Go to Copper if you're on the Ikon, it's what you're looking for. I love it there because it's mostly just long, chill rear end runs. It was pretty good with some fresh snow today. Way better than yesterday for sure.

I've been working on improving my form and saw this page linked on reddit a while back. I was absolutely doing the counter rotation thing they bring up and was getting really bad chatter on my heel edge too. I've been following their advice and I definitely feel like I'm making some pretty good improvements.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Razzled posted:

Trewth bib is coming in the clutch, I love mine

My only issue is with the straps. They don't stay at tightness level I want them while riding. They also do this thing where the plastic clip rotates and scrunches up the fabric part if they're past some really low tightness level. Outside of that I'm liking both the bibs and jacket I bought quite a bit.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

spwrozek posted:

The Trweth bibs are complete shells fwiw. There is zero insulation and then zip the sides down. They still may be too hot for you but I am good in them uphilling.

I find I get colder in them than I did my old gear as well. Maybe slightly less windproof? They're super breathable though and I've worn them without getting hot in 60 degree weather after riding.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The backing on the velcro straps on my old Strafe jacket separated like a week after the ridiculously short warranty period they have ended. I probably could have super glued it back together but :effort:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

spwrozek posted:

Yeah man. I am up in Dillon CO now with a bunch of friends. They are all out skiing (which does give me joy). I kind of wish I was still in Denver chilling but watching the snow lightly fall right now is nice.

Go buy yourself a switch. It's fun to play in the mountains as well as anywhere else!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

ironlung posted:

I think I had my best turns of the season today... this winter in CO is blowing last yr out of the water. Heard WC has already passed last season's total snowfall. We've gotta be getting close too.

e: just looked it up, we are officially past last year after the current storm cycle

I've taken the past couple weeks off because my knees among other things have felt like poo poo :corsair:

I think I'm gonna try to get a couple days at Steamboat next week.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Where should I eat in Steamboat? Looks like there are some decent options.

e: a snowboard makes a pretty handy shovel when someone fishtails into a snow bank and you stop to help dig them out.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 12, 2019

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dangerllama posted:

Back Door Grill is pretty good. You should also make a trip up to Butcherknife while youíre up there. No food, but Amputator is one of my favorite IPAís and the stopped distributing it down here.

I ended up going to Back Door before seeing your post. Pretty drat good burgers. I don't really drink, so no brewery visits for me.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

I'm kind of in awe that the thing where it doesn't snow when I'm in the mountains has continued even though I live in Colorado now. It almost exclusively snows around my days off or when I plan to be at a resort. At steamboat today and tomorrow and there's nothing. 1-2 feet forecast over Thursday and Friday.

I've totally missed some good days on my days off when I didn't head out, but come on.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dangerllama posted:

I stopped paying attention to the forecast when I realized it was causing me to ski less than I ought to, and gave me a bad case of FOMO.

Just go ski.

Oh I do. Pretty much exclusively when it's not snowing :v:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Razzled posted:

eldora was icy and windy today, so much for that. pounded out laps for a few hours and then went back to the hotel to sleep

hopefully winter park is better!

That's the typical Eldora experience!

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

6 year old fell 40 feet off the lift at Eldora today.

She's alive with unspecified injuries.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

TMMadman posted:

Hey if you're still going to be there tomorrow my buddy got stuck at work, so I'll be skiing solo.

I'll probably go to Copper tomorrow, but if I end up at Winter Park I'll give you a shout on here.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/JeremyHubbard/status/1102333526794362880

That's nuts

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Burton's bonded fleece hoodies would probably be alright for you. Water resistant-ish and do a decent job stopping the wind. I wear one as my main jacket and have worn one while riding before as well.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

https://i.imgur.com/o7X0lJh.mp4

Just loving nuts.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

I-70 is closed from 40 to Vail. I haven't seen that before.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The powder addiction folks are saying the avalanche was set off by unguided skiers above their group.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

I'm the worst winter sports participator. I'm going to be in Summit County on Tuesday and Wednesday. A massive storm is rolling through Wednesday that's going to gently caress everything up everywhere and I'm considering just bailing and driving home so I don't have to deal with it taking 9 hours to drive 100 miles home.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

il serpente cosmico posted:

Alternatively, just stay for two extra days

Unfortunately I have poo poo to do on Thursday. I might try to leave Frisco early and head to eldora to get some laps in there. Should be easier to get home from there even if it's snowing like crazy.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

70 is already a poo poo show, I'm glad I left this morning. The snow in Frisco was thicc. Like snow in KC thick.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Eejit posted:

Towards Aspen and even Vail it's not really bad, but there's already a foot of snow on the divide. Hope nobody needs to go between Denver and the mountains for the next little while

I really am glad I left this morning. It was already pretty dicey before the majority of snow had fallen. 70 was already shut down just past Idaho Spgs and they were forcing people off at 6.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Yuns posted:

Your pictures and videos are awesome spwrozek. I am envious.

Also my old sedan is about to die and I need to buy a new vehicle. I love sports cars but I need this to have some utility as a regular ski trip vehicle. Also I like stick but my wife refuses to drive one so it needs auto. Also it needs AWD or 4WD.

Any recommendations for a regular ski trip vehicle? SUV wise I was looking at the Q7, Kia Telluride, VW Atlas base Cayenne, Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, Mazda CX5.

Hatchbacks and station wagons considered include the A5/S5/RS5 Sportbacks, the A4 Allroad, the Golf R, etc.

Hot hatch is the answer if you want to enjoy driving it on a regular basis.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

The crosstrek would be cool if it came with a different engine.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

Many things can happen. You can for instance fall and break your collarbone, which I did.

God drat, get well soon! That's 2 for the year in the thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

kiimo posted:

It's more of an ice hill

I don't know what the actual ride length on those lifts are but they feel like they take forever to get you all 100 feet of vertical up to the top. That and the place being solid ice at all times are my favorite things.