Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

HookShot posted:

Yeah, I was on the October 24th episode. It's on DailyMotion for anyone who wants to see. I didn't exactly go around announcing it everywhere and somehow game shows never naturally entered the conversation in the skiing thread haha.

Kick rear end afro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Telluride only really. The runway goes straight off a cliff.

That just adds some flavour to the trip.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Kazak_Hstan posted:

https://imgur.com/CS68Y6a

Finally got my hands on my new skis!!

Very excited for these, especially how cheap they were, and also hopefully not sinking up to my nipples in anything vaguely resembling powder.

I’d eat rear end for some snow right now.

Nice, I'm aiming for a pair of them for my next skis.

I picked up a pair of Fischer Rangers second hand for this season.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Going out for the first time this season tomorrow. :toot:

Wistful of Dollars fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 1, 2018

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

After my first day out on the slopes after a year away I have come to the conclusion I'm a terrible skier who needs to go back to basics.

At least it was a beautiful day out and I still had fun.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Eejit posted:

The only highlight of my skipants are the years of farts trapped in there

Not breathable then?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

HookShot posted:

First powder day of the season, Blackcomb Gondola breaks down, everyone goes to the Whistler gondola and the lineup reached the bus loop LOL.

Glad I was a bit sick and decided to wait until Thursday's better powder day instead.

Holy moly.

Didn't get out last weekend due to social commitments; hopefully get out this weekend to Louise.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

Bought some new skis to replace my decade old pair, some nice new Atomics

I've been demoing a bunch of stuff and you owe it to yourself to try out the Elan Ampibio Fusion if you have a chance. I have never had more fun carving up groomers as I did today, but they just aren't versatile enough to be a main ski (and they're expensive as gently caress). But holy poo poo, were they fun

Sweet, which ones?

I really want to demo the Ripstick 86's.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

This is the right way to do it. “Skiing” is a synecdoche.

ur a synecdoche

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Out at Sunshine Village today. The snow is "ok" but the lines are short and the weather is great.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

I've skied so much the past few weeks, I want to quit my job and become a full-time skibum

:same:

I took some family who were visiting from Central Canada to Lake Louise yesterday. The snow was so-so but they had a great time.

Of course today it dumps snow there when I have to work. :suicide:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

spwrozek posted:

Having surgery on Thursday!

That shouldn't be there.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

My source of amusement today was asking one of the local shop guys if they were going to stock the Enforcer 88. His response was, basically,

"Oh yeah, I was testing them last weekend, they're great.

Wait, where the hell did you hear about them?"

:shepspends:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Razzled posted:

my friend got made fun of at jackson hole for having cheap poles lmao.
so glad i'm a snowboarder

Man, I'd whittle some loving branches into poles and stick some baskets on them for the next time I went there.

There are some 1980s bamboo poles back at my folks I should grab.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Razzled posted:

What would I expect to get out of an intermediate level lesson? I've been thinking of taking one to maybe correct whatever bad habits I have picked up in the course of self-tutelage but I don't even know what I'd expect to get out of it.

That said, how are lessons @ Copper? Headed to summit county on thursday!

For me it was body positioning and posture.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

kiimo posted:

Current Mammoth storm count: over ten feet since last Saturday, not counting what happens today and according to the mountain cams it's "Donner Party" level blizzard still.

drat Snow, calm down son. You crazy.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Demo weekend this weekend; going to test me some sticks!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Demo weekend this weekend; going to test me some sticks!

Sadly demo weekend cancelled due to cold temps. :smith:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Went skiing in -33 conditions last weekend; had the runs all to myself.

It was nice.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

HookShot posted:

NO. loving STOP. I HAVE loving HAD IT WITH THIS poo poo IF I WANTED TO SKI IN THE COLD I WOULD MOVE GO HOME MOTHER NATURE YOURE DRUNK.

Just means less people out there with me. :smuggo:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

bawfuls posted:

Scary, but sounds like it wasn't too serious with no injuries. Castle is a magical place.

Posting from Castle, can confirm.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I could totally do that.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

highme posted:

Probably not the best solution, but what kind of MTB goggles are they? I know Smith makes snow & MTB versions of the Squad & Squad XL, if it's something like that you'll probably have enough venting to make it work.

Nevermind, didn't see there was another page. I've got some new Electric EG2s that I can sell for $25 plus shipping. https://www.backcountry.com/electric-eg2-goggle

drat that's a steal.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

KoRMaK posted:

There were furries in their fur suits at copper today.

:-/

uh, I suppose that's one way to stay warm.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

il serpente cosmico posted:

He has that "caught loving the neighbor's cat" look on his face.

I was unaware this was a standardized look. :tmyk:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Went to Lake Louise yesterday. It was a stunningly gorgeous blue bird day but icy as hell. Almost had a few spills.

Watched one poor gal throw a complete yardsale and slide further down the hill than anyone I've ever seen in person. She was ok though.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Managed to demo some skis on Saturday and I can give my not-very-good-skier impression of a few. (Did a couple on-piste runs with each).

Blizzard Brahama 82 - Fast and grippy.
Blizzard Firebird WRC - Mach schnell
Nordica Enforcer 88 - I enjoyed these the most. I haven't ridden the other Enforcers so I can't give a comparison but I loved these.
K2 Mindbender 90ti - Also a lot of fun, but I liked the Enforcers more.
K2 iKonic 84ti - Someone better than me could get more out of these, I have little doubt. Good, but I didn't enjoy them as much as some others.
Rossi Exp 88 Ti - We did not get on well. A better skier probably would enjoy them a lot more but I found I needed to grab them by the scruff of the neck and man-handle them more than expected.
Volkl Mantra M5 - I liked it a lot; wish I had sought out some choppier stuff to try it on.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Spime Wrangler posted:

Consider instead the Mt Bohemia season pass. Yes, you can only use it for limited days at select mom & pop hills, and yes your money is going to a rich failson who is a jerk and won't use it to fix his drat lifts, but it's only $120, those places are rad, they have 0% overlap with Vail/Ikon/Mtn. Collective, you'll never stand in a lift line, and you get your money's worth in less than two ski days no matter where you use it.

Jesus, I'm in Western Canada and I want one of those just for the three days at Whitefish. 3 days at Whitefish is like $220.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

In today's reminder to wear your helmet, one of my mates took a spill down a chute yesterday and hit their noggin on a rock. Thanks to their helmet they have a concussion and not a smashed skull.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Spent a few days at Sun Peaks on March Break.

We'd never been there before so it was a different experience. We had a mixed bag of conditions. Sometimes pretty good snow up top but hard/ice midway and then into the heavy slush.

Some runs were just icy death traps.

Loved the village though. We look forward to going back mid-season when the snow is full on.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

need me a small truck for bikes and skis that's also not a bitch to park underground.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

HookShot posted:

It's going to be true spring skiing for spring series here at Pano; I've waxed with my not-touched-in-years 0 to +10 degree celcius wax.

:getin:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

HookShot posted:

But then how would I hate myself regularly?

People are very good at findings reasons to hate themselves.

Or others.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Yuns posted:

I think people who are not from the area don't realize how extreme Mt. Washington is and expect the east coast backcountry to be a joke compared to places like the Rockies because of the smaller mountains and lower altitude. Because it's only 6000+ feet and because it's so close to cities, people don't appreciate it can be literally one of the coldest and windiest places on earth during winter. They also may not realize how dangerous Mt.Washington can be because of the carnival atmosphere of spring skiing Tucks. There's a reason why people don't ski it in the winter and wait until spring.

Here is footage of the rescue team searching for Kate Matrosova who died while hiking the range in the winter a few years back. You can see how extreme the weather is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP4u6VyrgCk

That's New Hampshire? What the Christ.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

"late-season" suggests that the season will ever end at Mammoth. :v:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Lol you mean I shouldn't be worried about an early May trip when there's currently 170" on the ground?

The magic 8-ball says "shred, my man".

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Disinterested posted:

Also I have six pairs of skis in my room because I can't be bothered to walk to a storage locker.

"I'm not lazy; they're decoration."

Also, up to 25cm this weekend. :black101:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Ola posted:

My skate race is on tomorrow. 37 km, forecast is +4C, rain and 15 mph headwinds. It was nice knowing you all.

What's the worst that could happen?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

11 cm fresh at sunshine and no one was here.

And work paid for the day!

Boooooo boo this man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

Lmao, this is crazy

They ain't closing this year. It's all hands on deck.