Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

20-40cm in the forecast :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Castle is still open for now so hopefully I'll be able to get out this weekend.

If nothing changes...

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Castle is still open for now so hopefully I'll be able to get out this weekend.

If nothing changes...

welp, things changed and Castle is closed now too.

Such is life; here's to next year.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I just wanted to say that while the season was short, thank you to everyone in the thread for providing entertainment. :cheers:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

AND FORTRESS IS COMINGTM

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Is it ski season yet

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

After a lifetime of second-hand skis I finally own my first brand new pair of skis and bindings.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I'm always amazed by people wearing headphones when skiing or snowboarding. I want to hear everything going on around me.

To each their own, I guess.

(Now wearing them on the lift I get)

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

ante posted:

I'm gonna go to whistler and make out with all the locals

See you there :forkbomb:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

Yeah I'm planning on midweek only and with the new chair there is no need to use the gondola at Louise, so we're probably going to stick with that, two hour drive notwithstanding

I didn't think about midweek, but with my current working situation it's not a bad idea...

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

SeaborneClink posted:

Bought some new boots (Nordica promachine 120's) and picked up a pair of K2 Mindbender 99ti's on clearance today. Will probably have to find a pair of better powder skis mid-season when it starts [hopefully] dumping.

Hype is building.

if they'd been on sale when I was looking I'd have bought the 99's too. I demo'd them last year and liked them a lot. Good find.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Macnult posted:

seems like Black Crows know what they’re doing this season with that Ghost Ski Resorts series

Yeah, I found the first one super interesting and well done.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

casque posted:

Nice. I would keep those and get some Pon2oons for powder.

Out of curiosity, how did demoing Rossi 88ti's lead to you purchasing the K2s? How many days do you have on the K2s you bought this year? And how deep was the snow you were having trouble with?

The Rossi 88ti's and I did not get along at all when I demoed them last year. I loved the Mindbender 99's though.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Master_Odin posted:

Well, I guess it's time to finally retire my old katanas (not pictured are some bubbles under the base in spots):

Good thing Volkl just revived the katana line, though debating if I should wait a season iteration (and if I really need another ski).

It'll buff out.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Mad River Glen, Ski It If You Can

My first day out for the year and I discovered a loving hairline crack in my left boot, right in front of the buckle ( to the left -- the line down the center is actually a seam).

Because I'm in VT, and was at MRG, instead of saying "lol bin those", the guy at the repair shop said "well, depending on what tools you have, you could cut a little channel there, apoxy the living hell out of it, and then keep an eye on it".

Am I correct in thinking I should just.... bin these, and buy new boots? I've never had a crack quite like this before, but I did have a boot fail once. Of course this will just get worse, and the idea of coming down off a 3' jump or whatever and having my boot just explode seems... bad? So I guess I should suck it up and go spend $3-500? I got these used for like one fiddy midseason in 2018 so this is not catastrophic, just annoying (and makes me not want more used boots).

edit: random forum says:

This is, technically, in the overlap -- but it's the very edge of the overlap and goes up into the toe. I don't think drilling into there is a good idea, and it's probably better to spend money I don't quite exactly have, than to be alarmed all season and/or wreck myself.

I'd suggest new boots.

I don't have any experience with anyone out there but I've heard there are good boot fitters in VT.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Personal circumstances aside I'd always recommend if you're going to spend money anywhere it should be your boots. Nothing ruins skiing like uncomfortable boots.

Believe me, I have a stupid wide foot as well as poor dorsiflexion and have (and still do) spend a lot of time at the boot fitters trying to dial things in.

If financial issues are tight right now maybe the answer is to wait and potentially not go skiing for a bit. Only you know what's best for you in your circumstances. I won't counsel potential financial trouble over a pair of boots.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Partial Octopus posted:

Sell your dead game collection and hire a guide.

Just do what makes you happy.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Partial Octopus posted:

I was just joking around.

Also snowboarding is going to bankrupt me this year

These racks are dope though. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JPXW53J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is that swallow-tail an Endeavour model?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Spime Wrangler posted:

crosspost from climate change thread

According to this modeling it's going to be warm and US snowpack will likely reduce over the next week or so (except for us lucky folks in lake effect zones, thank god, we're over 100" behind last year).

Then the polar vortex collapse may kick in hard with cold air shooting south and maybe it'll snow again everywhere in late January:

Who knows if it's right but it's something to think about.

I like how that quote reads like Canada doesn't exist

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Spime Wrangler posted:

what's a canada? is it dangerous?

extremely

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Yuns posted:

Its like FB ads have a window into my soul

oh hell yeah

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Black Crows makes some good short films.

Tony & Deano, ski bums forever

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

MacPac posted:

https://twitter.com/DeSpell_/status/1353784685063712771

be careful out on the trails so you dont get dominated by the local wildlife

Capercaillie not loving around.

I had a grouse have a go at me when I was out hiking once. Followed me for like 200 meters afterwards.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

kiimo posted:

I kind of couldn't buy that whole ten feet of snow in Mammoth but here we are.

https://twitter.com/accuweather/status/1354829889237626883

Pure, unadulterated jealousy.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

bawfuls posted:

If you’re interested in historical snowfall statistics vis a vis skiing, you should peruse my dad’s extremely 90’s yet still regularly updated website bestsnow.net

That site is wild.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Moot .1415926535 posted:

In the process of rejiggering my split setup with the new Karakorams and skins, but in no real hurry to get out into avy terrain. North San Juan zone is a spicy meatball at the moment.

Also does anyone know what app they’re using here to make avy reports?

I welcome our cyborg skiing overlords.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Still better than me.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

Stupid newbie looking for gear advice here

I’ve got sasquatch feet and I’m not optimistic I’d find rentals available in my size, so I’m thinking it probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to pick up some boots if (not the whole kit).

I’m looking at skiing over snowboarding, and this is something where I’ve got several friends that regularly do this so I don’t mind investing some money to get a good beginner set.

Is this something I’d be better off going to the local ski shop and getting fitted up and buying everything I need to get started over there versus guessing sizing and buying stuff online?

From what I’ve been reading, looks like boots and bindings aren’t universally compatible, so if I’m in it for the boots, I might as well pick up the whole kit so I don’t run into incompatible rental issues, right?

I’ve already got an insulated ski helmet I bought for cycling in the winter, and decent goggles. I’ve got insulated snow bibs and good base/mid layer clothes and gloves, I think I just need a good outer shell. Been looking at stuff on Evo and The-House.com and I’m hoping I can get away with something not horribly expensive. If anyone has any decent and affordable outer shell recommendations, I’d definitely appreciate it!

Just trying to get some general advice to get oriented in the right direction :)

As someone with stupid feet, go to a local bootfitter.

I first tried a larger boot, but my foot would slide and that's just not fun.

I don't know how many times I've gone back to mine to make more adjustments. I just bring booze with me to give to him now. Bootfitting is a lot of trial and error when you have stupid feet.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

ought ten posted:

It’s not funny, but it is kinda funny to read “poop chute” in news stories.

CBC posted:

The skiers were swept up in an avalanche in the Poop Chutes off Blackcomb Glacier

If you're going to go that's a hell of a place to do so.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

i wear Keens like a normal degenerate!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Does he ski in jeans? Does he even ski?

Ah, making me re-live my father's standard practice of skiing in jeans in the 90s.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

in a plot twist she only has 1 pair of bindings

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Steve French posted:

Just finished reorganizing my garage so had the full quiver of actually mounted and rideable skis together. I’m counting the frankenblades here because they’re new and I have bindings for them just not yet mounted; waiting for new boots this month first.

~one of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong~

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

I still have my leather guards for rope tows lol

At least at Louise I thought those were called platter lifts, made by Poma. Poma also made many of the chair lifts on the back side at least.

Speaking of Louise, I'm being tempted by season passes starting at $599. Presumably that is the mid week pass, but I have a job with flexible hours so :thunk:

stay flexible, my friends.

I tend to frequent Castle because it's cheap and far less busy but can't deny the beauty of Louise

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Steve French posted:

They look sillier with bindings mounted

Tiny skis with normal sized feet or regular skis with ginormous feet

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

spwrozek posted:

Wolf Creek is going to open on Saturday. Totally not going to be worth it but the season officially starts.

wowzers, that's early.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

spwrozek posted:

I am debating a tour this weekend. might die of coreshots... we will see.

Supposed to go to wolf creek on Dec 17th... looks bad right now. (granted it is our yearly board meeting for my GFs business....)

Sounds like a perfect time for a board meeting of 2 to go somewhere on a tax-deductable business trip that's conveniently at a ski hill. :science:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Hookshot is reaching for the Holy Water as we speak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Moey posted:

As someone who despises scraping wax (no garage, so I hate the mess), I have also been very interested.

How long does it last/hold up?

Forevertm*

*or not.