Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
frame bindings are dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Eejit posted:

Yeah it's worth partying in Banff for a night or two, do it.

you'll get STIs from aussies

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

So I want some advice from the thread. I've been a permanent advanced intermediate skier forever, and I want to get better and become more comfortable skiing black diamonds. WHats the best way to do that? Should I take a private lesson? Just throw myself down some blacks and suffer through it? I can ski easy black diamonds and pick my way down harder stuff, but I'm clearly not approaching them the right way. Any pointers?

where are you skiing?

take a half day lesson, focusing on your technique

practice your technique on slopes you feel comfortable on, and then when you're feeling good about it, just try skiing the same way on a similar slope that's a bit steeper

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

I ski a lot of places, mainly Tahoe, Mammoth, and Utah. I just struggle on moguls or really chewed up snow, but I glide down pretty much anything if its been groomed. I also don't enjoy powder skiing, and I'm fairly sure I just have technique issues that makes me struggle and overwork in those situations.

I'll try to get a half day lesson and see how it goes

what size of ski are you on? That will drastically change your enjoyment of powder and chop

somewhere like snowbird/alta or squaw will have plenty of blue terrain where you can practice your technique, and then just move up to a steeper run of similar terrain and ski that

don't focus on getting down the most difficult thing you can, but instead find the most difficult thing you can ski well and try that

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

Yeah, I've been totally happy to just cruise down blues and groomed blacks for the last decade, but I've made a real push to get into shape over the last few years and want to start challenging myself to handle tougher terrain. I'm not looking to throw myself double black chutes or something, I just want to get better at handling rougher slopes and not question why I ski every time I run into a patch of moguls.

Probably look into wider, shorter skis for handling powder better?

TBH the best skier I've ever been out with used 190cm 110mm skis, but he's a 6 ft tall 220 lb jacked guy who skis 150 days a year (lodge owner/guide)

depending on your height get something that's 100mm underfoot and 175-185 long; nordica enforcer 100s are very popular, this will handle anything you can throw at it in a resort if you have good technique

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

HookShot posted:

I'm supposed to be skiing here on the 13th and uhhhh

https://www.panoramaresort.com/panorama-today/mountain-webcams/

(the Mile 1 cam is usually the top of where we start to ski)

why would you go to pano the only point of that place is to sell condos to rich calgarians

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

HookShot posted:

I loving hate Pano more than anywhere but they (theoretically) are willing to open the mountain to us earlier than Sun Peaks soooooo.

the funny thing about pano is that you can just sled up to jumbo behind it and have world class terrain and snow, whereas pano is meh terrain and poo poo snoq

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

bringer posted:

How good of a skier do I need to be for heli-skiing to be worth it?

Stellar is doing a locals day for $550 CAD - 6 runs, 3000m vertical. I'm a lovely skier but I'm tempted...

Day heli is a rip; 3000m is a good weekend of touring, or like 2.5 runs at kicking horse

tbh it's worth it if you want the experience, but otherwise meh

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

spwrozek posted:

I would disagree. Stellar is nice since you will get 3000-5500 meters in (it will depend on what the snow pack looks like), the bird only has room for 4 and the guides (so much less tracks), and for the price, the price is killer. Just up the road Selkrik Tangerines charges $1115 USD for a day, this is about $450 USD. Heck a day pass at Vail to wait in lift lines on a powder day is $200.

Is sled access and skinning more fun in this part of Canada? I would say yes generally but the price is hard to beat.

oh if they're doing an a-star that's a better deal, especially if you fill the machine

selkirk tangiers is a huge gamble imo; they only have a few good places for bad weather (cranberry lmao) and those sometimes get tracked up by sleds

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Rime posted:

Selkirk Tangiers went to pot when they sold the outfit to RMR back during the pie-in-the-sky days just after the resort opened. I don't blame them for cashing out, because everyone in town did (houses went from $70k to $700k in 12 months, it was insane), but drat its like RMR was some kind of monkeys paw which poo poo on everything it touched if you didn't immediately gtfo in '07-'08.

Selkirk tangiers does the same thing mica does, which is promote themselves heavily through ski vids to trustfundies

the main side effect is that you get a lot of kids who think it'll be an awesome experience and get their parents to shell out for ripoff day skiing

If i was in revelstoke with about 2.5k to spend on skiing (the cost of 2 nights hotel, 1 day day-heli for 2 people), I'd spend it on something like 3 days touring with a guide, or even a heli-drop/tour back to the highway combo thing

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

I was looking at Open Snow and it looks like it's gonna be a great few weeks of snow in California

yeah, but it's really early so the base is quite low

march with a bit of fresh snow/winds vs november with a lot of fresh snow is no contest

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
ski racing is the weirdest sport

tbh there should just be a challenge like "ski the hornbein" and anyone who does it is #1 until the next person does something better

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

bawfuls posted:

the industry has made a conscious turn towards the more affluent over the past 20 or so years, reflecting the broader hollowing out of the economy

well I mean what does 5 days of skiing in CO or utah cost a family of four coming from the NE? It's not cheap

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

LostCosmonaut posted:

This is some of the dumbest ski related poo poo I've ever seen; https://www.esquire.com/lifestyle/a23610274/courchevel-ski-restaurant-bars/

I read that and I turned into a hypercommunist

it's never good skiers wearing that poo poo

see someone wearing one of these though and you'll be impressed:

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Eejit posted:

I was about to say, one of a beater's greatest sources of consternation is how to transport skis

To wit: https://www.aspentimes.com/news/old-snowmass-carbondale-entrepreneurs-pitch-ski-related-device-on-abcs-shark-tank/

jerry gets wheels

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

xylo posted:

It needs to be. We're still skiing only WROD.

canadian rockies has had time for a really bad layer to build up, so the whole backcountry should probably flush this weekend

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Razzled posted:

so a guy died in an avalanche.... safety course?

https://coloradosun.com/2019/01/07/silverton-avalanche-peter-marshall-safety-course/

are level 2 courses usually out in actual avalanche territory? i don't know anything about the courses in general but i thought that they were in pretty safe flat areas where you just shovel snow on people and make people dig around for them or something

level 2, if it's anything like in canada, takes you into actual avalanche terrain so you can do more terrain analysis

but the instructor was pretty dumb0 to take a group into something like that with the risk being what it is; the easiest way to trash your operation is to kill people, not to mention killing people is a dick move

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
making fun of cheap gear is pretty jerry

all of the best skiers I know (incl SPONSORED ATHLETES like hoji) are pretty cheap and stretch stuff as long as they can (unless the rep is handing out new stuff)

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

Going to Squaw this week, if TSA allows it.

It's my first time there. What should I know/where should I go?

huck the fingers under kt-22

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
there's going to be a new version of the hojiboot out next year with an alpine toe; I'm buying that

also a new version of the atomic hawx touring boot, which is also class-leading

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
so a shop screwed up the mount on some skis and are giving me a new pair of skis, my choice

how do DPS wailers ski? :getin:

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
meanwhile the canadian rockies haven't had snow in a month...

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
get a hardboot splitboard setup

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

spwrozek posted:

Don't listen to this nerd. Snowboarding on hard boots outside of pure carve boards is a soul sucking fun taker. The weight savings are just not worth the lovely ride. If you want hard boots just get skis.

they're not a lovely ride if you have the right setup; and they're lighter, more durable, and much better for anything involving kicking steps; also you can transition way faster

Eejit posted:

Alternatively, go with a soft boot ski setup

https://www.apexskiboots.com/

Ski hard, walk easy

those look dumb

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Moot . posted:

Whoa, have you used these? Do they have tech toe pieces?

anyone who has reviewed them says they're terrible for actual skiing

you're better off with some soft superlight skimo boots

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

spwrozek posted:

You can do whatever you want. There are benefits to hard boots for sure. I have a split and a ski setup, I get it.

Fwiw my light weight roxa ski boots weigh just a bit more than my deeluxe split boots. All in karakorum setups are as light as phantom (granted less moving weight on the uphill). Kick steps are nice I will admit. If it is steep enough that I have to kick up it though I usually want crampons on, might be just the kind of riding I do.

If you go with a phantom setup the cost is just crazy imo. Between that, boots, mods, more mods, it really gets out of hand. Basically people mod the crap out of the boots to get them to be soft enough to ride well.

People do it though and if it works for you that is great.

E: just to add, if you are having fun that is all that matters.

I have a friend with the plum bindings and he uses some superlight 1kg skimo boots, seems to work well

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
really the cool people are doing tele turns in leather boots

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
g3 skins are poo poo, the glue is better at staying on your bases instead of the skin...

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
make your own out of silnylon works better

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
kicking horse sucks tell your friends

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

bawfuls posted:

Capitalism is feasting on and destroying everything you love. Skiing is yet another example.

Cater more and more to the wealthy at the expense of everyone else, consolidate market share, leverage monopoly power to raise prices, replace founding/passionate owners/operators with faceless financial firms, leverage it all to the hilt because the person calling the shots will already be gone with a golden parachute by the time cyclical downturns cause that debt to be a problem, etc etc.

let me tell you about backcountry skiing where I can even go and poo poo all over the alterra terrain if I can haul my rear end there

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

knox_harrington posted:

New skis day

I really like them. The Shift bindings are really neat and I like the confidence of having a proper alpine binding for skiing.

seems like a weird setup, you lose a lot of the benefit of a lighter ski with that binding

what's the top end like on those skis when you get going?

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Today I learned Rossi put the 7-Series out to pasture and has the completely different Black Ops line now.

Why? Dunno.

Also, they decided to rename the Black Ops 118 to Black Ops Gamer.

What.

black ops was cool when it was super limited edition 3 years ago, now they're p average

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

Who’s got Shifts? Are they worth an upgrade over Kingpins?

Also does anyone have any recommendations for a solid demo fleet in Denver/metro in addition to Bent Gate? Evo has been hit or miss since Matt sold Edgeworks to them forever ago. Never been to Powder7.

shifts are almost worse than kingpins depending on your usecase, if you tour a lot they're worse, if you resort a lot they're better

I've had no issues with the kingpins, and have had proper release when I caught an edge going about 60km/h on a groomer

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

Eejit posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for beacon, shovel, and probe? I don't need super crazy stuff, just lightweight and reliable. I don't really have any inclination to ride in dangerous terrain or conditions, but I do gotta have the stuff just in case.

tracker 3 or barryvox S

any probe is fine but get a 320, the carbon mammut and BD ones are nice

I like the mammut allugator shovels a lot

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
Parks canada just effectively closed the backcountry, and the salt in the local groups is amazing...

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

knox_harrington posted:

The black crows skins are hybrid and have worked really nicely so far. Not that I've got a ton of days on them yet.

black crows are the contour hybrid skins, just in a custom colour, i have them and love them

glueless skins can be total poo poo

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

das_bill posted:

But your industry, time to buy your shifts and go touring buddy. I'm guessing a poo poo load of people will die touring this year.

It'll be all good until that first real avalanche cycle.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
the trick with touring is to be fit enough to knock off a 5km, 500m "approach" with river crossing in like 90min, since the tourists will just blow a good half day getting to your spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

spwrozek posted:

I would be really surprised to see the tracker 3/S change positions. It is not easy to pull it and rotate it.

tracker 3 seems pretty solid, I'm at 4 seasons on mine without issues

the pressure lock just seems dumb; most people wear them in a hardness which'll get repeatedly jostled and pressed against the body