Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

USPOL May

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Iíll be getting to experience skiing in PA this season. Iím sure itíll be willllllld

I mean.

Itís better than *not* skiing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

USPOL May

In honor of the earliest DC area snow Iíve been here for, if you like Nieheus trail maps, heís kickstarting a book of them.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/orsc/james-niehues-the-man-behind-the-map

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

USPOL May

Dangerllama posted:

How do we like the chips headphones? Better than just shoving some AirPods up in there?

Buy a pair of these if you want to go cheap and mostly just want to listen to music. You donít get the ďearpiece is a buttonĒ part, but itís also 15 bucks and is good enough for music and listening to voicemails. (Thereís a mic in the controller but probably wonít wind up anywhere useful for actually talking.)

E: donít wear them as is, yank the guts out and drop them into the chip slots on your helmet.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

USPOL May

http://grantland.com/features/the-wet-stuff-verruckt-waterslide-schlitterbahn/ is a good (pre-accident) read on where all if it started out.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

USPOL May

Looks like I'll have a few days after a work trip to the Netherlands to gently caress around skiing in Europe in mid-February. Any recommendations for where to go? (I'd say I'm a reasonably good intermediate skiier; I'm not interested in backcountry or skiing the steepest thing possible, just a decent selection of intermediate trails and some nice scenery. I also am old and married and don't drink so I don't really care about apres, but good food is always nice.)

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

USPOL May

On that topic, Iíll be skiing the Aravis resorts in February (because Swiss and Austrian school holidays meant near zero reasonable lodging availability.)

Looking forward to it! (Especially after realizing that, for future purposes, itís not actually much more expensive if at all to ski in the Alps for me than it is to ski out west given the differential in lift ticket pricing and lodging.)

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

USPOL May

spwrozek posted:

That is where I learned! Haha. Mostly at the highlands. When I was about 11 ish we started going to nubs. I think I never went back to the highlands after that.

I was so sad when I found out Sugarloaf closed - that was always our big ski trip of the year when I was a kid.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

USPOL May

EvilTwig posted:

https://beheadwear.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=59

You can find this bluetooth hat for around 40 dollars on amazon, and slide the audio portion out and throw it into your helmet, works great. The cheaper bluetooth hat options on amazon suck and are too thick for most helmet earflaps.

https://cozyphones.zendesk.com/hc/en-us?mobile_site=false are another option; not on Amazon, but 30 bucks and super-thin.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

USPOL May

Fifty Three posted:

Yep, it's a Dakine soft-sided rolling double ski bag. I was concerned with airlines being dicks about "only boots in boot bags" policies so I went for the bigger ski bag to fit everything.

There are people who check their boots? (My boot bag is my carryon. Rental skis, nbd, but rental boots would ruin a trip if the airline somehow lost my poo poo.)

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

USPOL May

HookShot posted:

Well drat I can't wait to go skiing in Missouri and Indiana.

What you really can't wait for is all the DC people who buy it as a season pass for their area resorts (Liberty, Roundtop, and Whitetail) and come and hang out at Whistler for their annual week out west skiing.

This might wind up being me tbh.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

USPOL May

HookShot posted:

Don't come to Whistler, and I don't mean that because there are too many people here (there are), I'd much rather have someone who actually knows what the gently caress they're doing instead of the idiots who can't get on the gondola properly, but we're honestly so far above capacity that it has been ruining the experience for a lot of people who come up.

Unless you like waiting in gridlocked traffic for two hours on the only road in and out of town, waiting hours for service anywhere because every business in town is short-staffed, paying hundreds of dollars a night for a lovely hotel and then riding completely packed runs on a mountain that's getting so hosed by climate change there's a decent chance it'll rain on you at some point.

But yeah that will 100% happen and it will suck even more, but from what I'm hearing word is getting out to a lot of epic pass holders that Whistler sucks now and there are better options. I love living here, but I would absolutely not come here for my weekly western skiing holiday. There are waayyyyyy better options out there.

Yeah, that was sarcasm re: me. If I do wind up buying a pass, Whistler won't be the destination - I went to Whistler for a week pre-Vail days, it was fun, and (especially having read your posts) I feel literally no need to go back.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

USPOL May

Yuns posted:

At my old law firm one of the partners, who was a huge rainmaker, and I were seriously discussing adding a Bozeman office solely so we could ski/snowboard in the winter. We both ended up leaving before we could put it into effect. I really wish we had done that.

When my old firm added a mountain west office, the announcement email included a ďwe are not looking for anyone to move to this office at this timeĒ clause specifically because of this.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

USPOL May

IncredibleIgloo posted:

As a quick pivot to some positive loving topics, what is everyone's ski goal this season? I did 41 days last season so I want to hit 45 ski days(Stretch goal 50), lose 40 pounds by the end of ski season, and tackle the "Peak to the Creek" trail at Whistler. I also want to try my hand at some black diamonds. What is everyone else up to?

Get back on skis after having a kidney removed, get a decent trip out west in, and get enough local days in (weather permitting) that I can justify buying a season pass to one of the local mountains next year. If I hit 15 days I'd be ecstatic.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

USPOL May

Bilirubin posted:

I always preferred Boyne but didn't spend a lot of time at Nubs so

RIP Sugarloaf.

(Nubís was good though, we just usually went to Sugarloaf instead.)

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

USPOL May

resident posted:

Holy poo poo I love Park City and it wasnít even a pow day. I did babies first jib today and didnít kill myself so that was cool.

Weíre headed there later this year so will happily take recommendations for places to eat/poo poo to do outside skiing.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

USPOL May

Yeah, weíre staying at the base of PCMR and skiing PC - might do one day at DV just because I did like it the day trip I did there when I was in SLC for work. Bringing boots and helmets and outerwear but renting skis/poles so we were planning to just Uber and take the bus around. Thanks for the recs! (Will happily take more from others.)

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

USPOL May

We skied (well, VA skiing) today to avoid the weekend and it was fine, minus full blast snowmaking to get ready for the weekend. Green lifts were trash but who cares, they always are.

Also while waiting for my partner to meet me at the top of a lift I watched a dipshit in a Trump hoodie do a full face plant down the offload ramp, then get skied into/over by their chair mate, so the day was a complete success no matter what.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

USPOL May

Salt Lake City area? Donít have to live right in SLC; Park Cityís probably pricy but might work, and the proximity to SLC gives some economic options/insurance.

E: nvm I see youíre eliminating it because of weekend crowding.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

USPOL May

Time posted:

Trying to get my wife into skiing, is the best way to put her into a class? Anyone here take it up as an adult?

My wife took it up as an adult. (She had gone like 6 times as a kid 20 years ago but not in the interim.)

Put her in a class - even if you can teach, itíll be more fun for both of you for her to get lessons and for you to go ski by yourself. (Eventually, if she catches up in skill, pairs lessons are pretty great, but start with her getting basic lessons.)

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

USPOL May

Residency Evil posted:

As a Philly area skier, are any Philly area resorts worth making it out to? I was thinking of trying blue mountain last year, but I donít think they ever really got snow.

Bought an epic pass this year. :v:

Roundtop is about 2 hours from you and on Epic. Itís small but the Snowtime (Roundtop/Whitetail/Liberty) resorts are pretty well run and as long as you donít go expecting a western resort theyíre fun.

http://www.dcski.com/resorts/#Pennsylvania has a list of PA resorts, can click through and see which ones are where and get basic stats. (They used to have a map but that appears to have died.)

Kalman fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 20, 2020

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

USPOL May

Residency Evil posted:

Thanks for the Roundtop suggestion. I wasn't sure how the southern PA resorts were since they're...south. Good to hear they're run well.

They make a lot of snow, basically. Yearly snowfall average is like 40-45Ē, but theyíre usually open with a 12-24Ē base by mid-December depending on temps.

But honestly - especially given warming/climate change - everyone in the area has to make snow these days, relying on natural snowfall means you wonít be able to stay open.

(Also, if you want *south*, check out the two areas in NC, Beech and Sugar.)

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

USPOL May

luminalflux posted:

I have the ODT 2.0 for my helmet and I really like them overall. I still havenít figured out which butan does what so mostly I control them from my Apple Watch. They sound ridiculously good and I basically donít notice that theyíre in the flaps when the music is stopped.

I mostly just listen to music on the lift and sometimes on groomers, but itís nice to use them to call my partner and let her know whatís up

I took the speakers out of a cheap Bluetooth headband and dropped those into my ear flaps - works fine for this. No easily accessible button controls, but the Watch solves that problem (and theyíre only 15 bucks.)

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

USPOL May

Captain Apollo posted:

So like - how is everyone planning on skiing this year in light of COVID stuff?

I usually drive and stay with friends to make resort prices bearable ..... but I live out of state from my mountains. Iím guessing you guys live close enough to not need to stay in the resort cesspool?

Maybe skiers take COVID seriously and wonít be jerks? Iím having a hard time gauging my own thoughts on this. Obviously skiing is the easy part, itís the being around people in a line and hotels and cars that worry me.

Practical tips?

Probably just local hills midweek, if at all. Maybe go out to WV where thereís never anyone on the mountain anyway.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

USPOL May

davebo posted:

Looks like Liberty and Whitetail's websites have switched to the Vail template since the buyout. No snow yet but Wisp is making snow.

I canít imagine doing Liberty or Whitetail with how crowded they usually are. Feeling like Canaan might be the best local for us this year, since itís usually pretty empty anyway. Donít think Iíve ever had to share a chair there, even during Christmas peak season. (Theyíve gotten some natural and are blowing snow, looking decent.). Be interesting to see what Timberline looks like this year too.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

USPOL May

IncredibleIgloo posted:

So Beaver Creek has a really odd lift that has both standard chairlift seats, but also gondolas, albeit significantly less gondolas, on the same lift. Anyone know any backstory to this or the thought behind it?

Thereís one of those at Sunday River also (Chondola.). A lot of it is lifting non-skiers, though they mention they sometimes strip the gondolas off on high wind days to minimize wind holds.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

USPOL May

Eejit posted:

You're probably looking for a mid flex boot around 110 in that case. I think just tell them what you posted above and they'll hook you up. Don't be afraid to try on like 3-4 different models and see which you like best. But honestly there aren't really any bad ski boots out there

The only bad ski boot is one that doesnít fit you well. The only good ski boot is one that does. Outside of that, itís just not going to be that big a difference.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

USPOL May

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Good to know. Here is another PCMR question; what happens when parking fills up? I looked at the lots and they look relatively small for the amount of skiers. Is there some further off site parking? This is not needed for my trip, but I need to think about for moving to area, if I end up going down that route.

Offsite lots and shuttles. (Eg https://twitter.com/pcmtnalert/status/1375823240472444932?s=21)

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

USPOL May

I mean you have to remember that Park City also hosts Sundance which has a pretty significant attendance, and itís adjacent to an actual town, so thereís more than just the resort base - thereís paid lots in town, etc etc.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

USPOL May

Verman posted:

Traverse city area is like ... I dunno, maybe the "Hamptons/Tahoe?" of Michigan. Lots of vacation homes, wineries, golf resorts and ski slopes. Crystal and Boyne are the biggest from what I recall (it's been years since I've been) other than the few in the UP but that's an extra fee hours of driving.

I learned how to snowboard by going to the dunes 300' at a time. My first powder experience was in west Michigan when a storm blew in 2-3 feet of lake effect snow that morning. No rope or chair, just hours of climbing back uphill over and over again in knee deep fresh powder.

I grew up going to canonsberg near grand rapids for my school ski club and given I'm in Washington now, I would be really curious to go back.

Midwest skiing doesn't have the steeps or the views of western skiing but it will do if you're stuck there. Plus they almost all have night skiing. I always figured the slopes in the Midwest would really develop their park terrain since you don't need elevation for that stuff.

Yeah. Good parks even at tiny 250' hills. And idk, I kind of love Traverse City skiing, it's not high but it's still a lot of fun.

Plus near-universal night skiing (it blew my mind when I first found out that many places not in the midwest *don't* have it) and, at least for lake-facing mountains, some nice views of a different type. Also Michigan has an excellent beer scene.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

USPOL May

Nubs is fun. My childhood favorite (Sugarloaf) has been closed for 20 years but I live in hope that the most recent buyer will finally reopen - theyíre at least demolishing all the old stuff, but theyíd need replacement lifts since those are long gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

USPOL May

Rime posted:

Some years back I remember hearing about this shop in BC which does full custom boots by frankensteining different components together. Expensive, but rave reviews.

Anyone know where this is? I think they were out in the Kootenays or something but google is failing me unless Covid shut them down for good.

Dunno about BC but in SLC thereís Daleboots, where basically they have a bunch of molds for various pieces in various sizes and they figure out which sizes to use for your feet. They work with fitters in a few places outside of SLC but afaik theyíre all manufactured in SLC.

I have them and love them, but I wouldnít have bothered if my local fitter (whoís generally considered quite good) hadnít basically thrown up their hands and said ďcanít make this work for you bc of your feetĒ to the point that they fully refunded my boots. So unless you have really weird feet, itís probably not worth doing.