Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

LostCosmonaut posted:

Gore and Whiteface opening Saturday :woop:
So does Sugarbush. Excited to get my season started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies
The skiing at SugarBush this weekend was awesome. Of course, it was pouring rain this morning and is mushing things right up.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies
The season had been going so well too. I'd be surprised to not see a bunch of NE go on windhold tomorrow.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

ShaneB posted:

Also: if I have waterproof rain pants, can those be combined with a base layer/insulation layer and be used as ski pants? Or will I hate life?
Probably, though I don't find them to be that warm below like 30°F and then I end up wearing my ski pants under my rain pants.

PVC rain pants, jacket, and gloves that fits over my ski stuff though I think are my favorite purchase this season. Not having a wet butt or body at any point in a day of downpour is super awesome.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

Rated PG-34 posted:

Haven’t done any east coast riding yet, but looking at the snow reports, it seems p dire. Anyone been out?
Sugarbush (mid-Vermont) got a couple of surprise inches yesterday with a couple more projected tonight and tomorrow. The natural snow trails have some amount of slick in the troughs at the moment, but are all largely skiable without having to worry about rocks and bare patches. Seemed to be a good crowd of people heading into the woods yesterday as well, and having fun.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies
Most everyone can benefit from taking a lesson every once in a while.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

Dangerllama posted:

Has anyone tried latex gloves as liners? Apparently this is a fly fishing hack. Lately my hands have been getting cold as poo poo on the hill, with or without warmers.
It's awful and my hands always end uncomfortably sweaty and that my gloves end up sliding on my hands if I'm not paying attention. Definitely would recommend mittens over this option.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

Varg posted:

I drove up to Vermont this weekend, after a couple days on "fast and firm" conditions, today it's been snowing for a few hours and is gonna continue through the night.. 6-10 inches expected. Sugarbush should be good tomorrow and start to get back into shape after the usual melt then freeze session that happened the past week.
Yeah, the bumps were in pretty dire condition after everything locked up Friday late morning, with the groomers rest of the weekend getting nice cat ice patches through the day. Hopefully the snow was heavy and sticky enough though that it bonds to the steeper lines of FIS and Black Diamond.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Since the movers lost some of my ski gear (cunts), I’ve now bought another pair of bright orange ski pants.

Looking at somewhere up in NH/VT area. Wife doesn’t ski but is willing to try again - any family friendly recommendations?
I'd probably recommend Smuggs or Okemo as pretty solid family friendly with great beginner/intermediate areas, leaning towards Smuggs as it's got far better expert skiing as well. Sugarbush (my home mountain so I'm biased) is also pretty rad, though they turned the best beginner skiing at the resort (sunny quad) into terrain parks.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Be safe out there and be smart. Please.
And please be aware of the skill levels of those in your party and conditions of trails. Not all greens/blues/diamonds are equal and can change day to day (and even hour to hour) in difficulty and when in any question, check with ski patrol.

Related to this, I ran into a bunch of people both on chairlifts and on trails who went down black diamond trails at Mt. Ellen and then were surprised when there were bumps/steep and icy and regretted their decisions over the holiday weekend.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies
While I can agree that there are idiots who can't seem to figure out how to put there RFID card in an empty pocket and definitely not next to a cellphone, I'm pretty happy Sugarbush switched over and feel like the overall experience is smoother.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

Varg posted:

I got a Crosstrek a couple years ago and I love it.
Can confirm. I got one this year and have also absolutely loved it, especially as I've done more driving in the mud season of Vermont and have been able to largely ignore (other than driving slower) the deep ruts and ridges that I've encountered.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

Nutsack Rangoon posted:

Maybe a sad question but: I'm moving to NJ in the fall. What's my best option for a mountain?
Go to Vermont.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Are most positions in the ski resort industry at or near minimum wage for the locations they are in? I imagine that the lift attendants and service folx at the cafes probably are, but do ski instructors, groomers, park maintenance people, etc... make any decent wages?
In Vermont, for a couple mountains, ski patrollers get like $11-13 an hour or so. This site seems to imply similar poor pay for whistler as well.

Though, all EMS work in general is basically always criminally underpaid, though patrol does way more than just EMS.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

ante posted:

Tbh when a person selling me a ticket tells me about it like they know what they're talking about, I'm not going to go home and fact check on the internet
Especially given it sounds like there were selling a "Locals" pass (useful really only in Colorado) at WB, which is 1,300mi away. That just sounds like something built to be confusing to people.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

Moey posted:

Yeah, I assume it's plastered over every sign in the ticket offices as well. I also don't buy my pass in person.
Given it sounds like the employees themselves didn't seemingly know this fact, this seems unlikely.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies
Yeah, Sugarbush in VT added them two seasons ago with the turnstiles for just the bottom lifts and they have been mostly painless from my experience. They're definitely less hassle then having a ticket checker, and I get to see how many days I've skied when I go through which is cool.

Moey posted:

How do they limit people just sharing a pass?

I've heard VR rewards their scan teams for catching people sharing passes, the prosecutes them for theft.
At Sugarbush, we have a person who stands at a pedestal and gets the pass picture of everyone who scans through the gate and can use that to catch people sharing a pass, though I don't think we're as intense as VR for catching pass sharers and offering rewards.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies
As cool and good as helmets are, nothing beats some nice, ambling spring skiing in a trucker hat and goggles.

My helmet is worth its weight in gold for Vermont tree skiing. So many little dents and things get picked up over a season of bushwacking.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

little munchkin posted:

40 - 50% chance of rain all day tomorrow. really wanna ski tho :(
Buy a rubber rain suit and work gloves at a tractor supply or other hardware store. Wear over ski gear as desired. Enjoy being totally dry all day and not caring at all about the fact it's raining. It'll also be way cheaper than trying to buy waterproof ski jacket/pants and last way longer.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies
Another key tip for people learning is please do not cut off patrollers running a tobaggan, or buzz it. I can guarantee you the patroller does not enjoy it.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

ironlung posted:

So your "key tip" is for something that a) you will rarely encounter especially in beginner areas and b) is common sense for any reasonable person

Or maybe I'm just out of the loop and beginners these days are running rampant, jibbing toboggans and harassing ski patrol
You'd think it would be common sense, but I was a bit cranky yesterday as I got cut off twice yesterday in our beginner area as I was running a sled.

I also got to watch some people go treesking and coming out onto a closed trail that's got no snow and having to walk down it.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies
In VT, while this snow storm was a lot less than originally forecasted earlier in the week, it's so nice to see the mountain be back at 100% open, even if it's bony on the natural stuff. Dropping a rope for a dad and their kid to go hooting and hollering down as second and third tracks is my favorite thing.

Yuns posted:

Jfc these holiday crowds. We have all kinds of people on terrain they have no business being on. One of our lifts has a warning that there is only expert terrain open off that lift and of course everyone is ignoring the sign.
Nobody reads the signs patrol put up, and also park rats are the bane for constantly breaking them :argh:

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies
Cold temps and no fresh snow are definitely putting a damper on crowds today in VT, though tomorrow I think is the predicted bigger day for crowds.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

Yuns posted:

Also, I have an issue. Our ski team end of season celebration trip is going to Mad River Glen and I am, of course, only a snowboarder. So I have to rent some skis and learn how to ski at MRG. How do I make the transition to skiing? And what can I chuck myself down at MRG if I don't care that much about safety so long as I don't actually die or break anything.
Cannot give any advice about how to transition, but can at least talk about MRG. MRG's beginner area is serviced by a mid mountain lift, which to get to you ride the double in the middle/back of the base area (the double on looker's right is their race type area) and then take greens down to. They usually groom everything off that lift, and then some number of mid/lower mountain blues. They may or may not groom the one blue off the single chair.

It is also always an option to split board up though before operating hours and then board down once the chair is spinning to get some hoots and hollers.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies
Yeah, being a liftee is some of the most mind numbing thing you can do, especially if you're an operator on a chair that does not require active bumping. I'm somewhat surprised there are not more incidents every year, though I do think a lot goes unreported on.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

TMMadman posted:

Anyway, I mostly just wanted to say that I used to freak people out while standing still by putting my right ski up on its tail and then letting it fall out to the right so I'd end up with the skis next to each but the tips facing opposite directions. Then I'd lift my left leg and spin to bring the left ski back into a normal position.
That sounds like a regular old kick turn?

Fifty Three posted:

What's the weird two-word term for turning 180° while stationary on a slope by turning one ski and stepping uphill behind the other? It's not "kick turn" and I'm stumped.
Pivot turn?

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies
Jay in VT just closed up shop for the season. Given how far north they are, I'd have figured they'd be one of the last, but I guess the water park brings in quite the traffic maybe?

Though skiing in VT is a bit garbage at the moment and it's looking like the season is going to be over come April anyway.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

HookShot posted:

Jay Peak is closing for the season because of Corona, it's the first to do it. I suspect the rest of us aren't going to be far behind.
Burke also closed up shop for the season.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies
drat, this came out of nowhere as a rank and file employee of Sugarbush, especially after getting an email this morning from the president about staying open.

Well, at least there's still skinning.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Meadows and Timberline just closed. Again, for a week, but I don't see them re-opening. Trying to have some good thoughts for all the people suddenly unemployed in the middle of this.
My mountain said they may open in late April for a weekend or two, but also all paid seasonal staff in my department is let go. I don't foresee things reopening this season.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

Yuns posted:

Mt. Washington is fully closed because of all the people violating social distancing rules and NH lockdown in the backcountry. MWA had to conduct 2 rescues including a rescue of a person who turned out to be an EMT who had been exposed to coronavirus patients (he got cliffed out at Tuckerman and called 911 to be belayed to safety).
A lot of the mountains in VT have also stated they are prohibiting uphill travel. However, it does not look like there's a fine attached to breaking that like there is in Colorado (yet?) so I guess it's just honor code and state troopers in parking lots keeping people away.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies
You might also want to check out if your area has any ski swaps (in upstate NY around me, they're all in September / October) as you can snag a decent pair for cheap (as well as other various pieces of equipment you might want).

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

Disinterested posted:

It reads from what I'm hearing about hiring like CO mountains are hiring a smaller group but still essentially counting on a real season.
I have to assume hiring is going to be an absolute mess this year, as mountains are in a holding pattern of sorts. At least for my home mountain (Sugarbush, VT), there's usually an email or two out by now about upcoming season for patrol and paid staff stuff. Thinking of working as a potential of the only way I'll get a bunch of days in, but also totally not thrilled at the possibility of staffing shortages from the get-go and 6 day work weeks.

I'm also really curious how social distancing rules are going to work for stuff like patrol where our stations are definitely not hitting that while also allowing necessary coverage, and I'm sure guidelines will come out eventually, but drat is it feeling like it'll all be last minute.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

Red_Fred posted:

Are there any thread favourite glove recommendations? My trusty 10+ year old Spyder gloves are starting to fall apart.
I'm (and my family) are huge fans of hestra gloves, getting a pair of five finger gloves for most days and then mittens / 3 finger gloves for the more brutal days we get in the NE. Helps one of our local shops at the mountain will do a big hestra sale every number of years. Easily get a bunch of seasons out of them with proper care and normal use.

Yuns posted:

EDIT: I especially like them if you're going to be working outside like if you need to set courses or drag around netting and gates or otherwise need to deal with stuff that will beat the poo poo out of gloves. I started using them because my non-aK Burtons weren't doing well all day and a pretty significant number of ski patrollers and other mountain workers use Kincos.
Yup, almost all of the paid patrollers at my mountain swear by kincos. I'm weird and am a fan of truck gloves. However, I would note that if you're not doing work on the mountain (be it setting up courses or whatever), then I would probably recommend getting a higher quality glove and have comfier hands.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies
I've dealt with enough people as patrol where their significant other were attempting to teach them, and had then taken them on terrain they were not ready for where they got terrified or injured that I will never not advocate putting them in a lesson for their first couple times out at the very least.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

Yuns posted:

This doesn't even get to the question of cross state mandatory quarantines which I'm certain will be violated.
I'm really curious if Vermont are going to change their travel restrictions going into ski season as yeah, a 14 day quarantine when entering Vermont if you're coming from NJ, Mass, NYC, Penn, is going to be impossible for people to hit.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

Yuns posted:

Big Snow, the NJ indoor ski facility
Having passed that thing a ton growing up, I've got to ask, was the 25 years or whatever it took building that complex worth it?

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

Yuns posted:

First snow at our NJ resort today so I'm hopeful. In other news, I've been hearing some rumors relating to the impact of a Vermont lcokdown that may affect ski resorts. Has anyone heard anything about a stricter VT lockdown?
I've heard nothing yet beyond just make sure to follow https://accd.vermont.gov/covid-19/restart/cross-state-travel where it's pretty much everyone entering VT except from few parts of NY, NH, and Maine need to self-quarantine for 14 days on entering the state. However, given that cases all around VT are universally going up, I could see them entering a broader lockdown to maintain themselves as being under the surrounding the states.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies

dangling pointer posted:

PA just announced they’re requiring people traveling into the state to either produce a negative COVID 19 test or self quarantine for 14 days upon arrival. How is this being enforced? A $25-$300 fine if you fail to comply lol. So it’s basically not going to be enforced but at the same time it’s is a order and not complying would make me an rear end in a top hat to ski.
VT has announced a similar thing, and as far as I can tell, it does seem to be a "scout's honor" enforcement so far at my resort. Of course, right now with all the second home owners who have moved into VT in the last month, the number of cases in my resort's county is now way higher than a lot of places around it in VT and upstate NY, making it all the more likely you'll get it by actually going to the resort and thus all the more likely to get hit by the fine / resort ban on contact tracing I guess.

Working patrol at a ski resort this season is going to be a huge mistake, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

ladies
Sugarbush (VT) postponed their opening day (again) from Dec 3 to Dec 10. When will this season start!