Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Hi thread,

All of my favourite kit have come from recs in this thread. I require your services once more!

I'm looking for new snowboard boots. I'm currently using like 7 year old Burton imperials. Admittedly probably sub 20 day seasons on average during that span, but they are starting to cause some issues around the ankle strap since I got much stiffer board last season
Fullbag Diamond Blade (THANKS THREAD)

So. I'm looking for new boots. The imperials are the stiffest boot I've ever owned so I probably don't want to go quite HYPER stiff, but definitely on that end. All I do anymore is go fast and carve hard, but comfort is still #1

My local shops sell lots of Thirty two, Deeluxe, K2, Ride, Burton and Vans

Obviously I'm going to select the boot that feels best to me, but I wouldn't mind some help narrowing things down!

TIA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Top Quark posted:

So these fancy bastards arrived today, courtesy of forums poster highme and his proforms saving me a pile of cash. I gotta say they work very well for looking around my apartment but uhhh I guess I'm going to have to wait a while to use them on the hill because welp I guess it's raining now.

Is this site not displaying correctly for me or something or is Smith now charging $145 for LENSES?

I could swear when I got my IOX a few years ago they were like $30-40... I should have bought more apparently

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Kazak_Hstan posted:

My best friend would be dead if he hadn’t gotten his butt checked. It’s good advice.

WHAT WAS WRONG WITH YALLS BUTTS?

Tell me what rear end cancer signs I am missing

I also adjusted my stance significantly for the first time in like 15 years. Noticed a touch of knee discomfort last year so I narrowed up a bit and adjusted the angles to +18/+3.
First run was kind of weird but then I ripped the place up the rest of the night. A+ first runs this year. I'm attributing it to great conditions rather than the changes but it's a good sign

Math You fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 3, 2019

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

I don't ride switch at all. I can, because I forced myself to learn it, but something about moving right foot forward seems so wrong to me. I decided to just give up on it a couple years ago, so it was kind of laughable that I was still riding duck.

I was pretty worried about it myself which is why I started at 18/3. I couldn't really wrap my head around how it would even work until I was moving. Felt natural right off the bat! I think I'll give it a few more runs before trying 21/6

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

So I moved into my first house recently and I've decided my "apartment" waxing /tuning setup (lovely Ikea ottoman and a tarp) won't cut it anymore.
That said I'm not a bazillionare so I need a foldable rig I can hang in the garage and set up after I take my car out.

I was thinking I'd just get a cheapo black and Decker workman bench and whatever decently rated vices I can find, but figured I'd drop by for recommendations.

I snowboard but I will have others' skis to work on, so universal is nice but snowboard gets priority

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Looking for some recs for resorts out west. We are a bunch of poor bastards from Ontario hoping to escape the ice for a week. Targetting the last week of January or the first week of February.

Major considerations:
Cost - a ski trip is stupid expensive anyway you slice it but a place with more affordable accommodations for 4-5 is going to help a lot. Not sure if there's much fluctuation in the cost of flights
Access: A shuttle option would be nice as we'd probably need to rent more than one car otherwise. Alternatively, a resort with a nearby town where we can get lodging for a lot cheaper

Other than that, we just want a really cool mountain. Any regions forecasted to do really well in the snow department this year?

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

IncredibleIgloo posted:

How far West do you want to go? Do you have passports and is the US an option? Are there any riding skill restrictions you are looking for, like the resort needs to have lots of greens, or needs to have lots of side-country and expert terrain? Do you have any existing passes that would give you discounts or entry to any resorts?

Whistler has shuttles that can get you from the Vancouver Airport to Whister, but the lodging seems to be fairly expensive. Once there you would likely not need further transportation.

Ketchum/Sun Valley is good for transportation as well, but is spendy. Bogus Basin in Boise would likely be another option, but is less iconic than Sun Valley. But likely much more affordable.

Salt Lake City is a possibility. The time you chose coincide with the Sun dance film Festival though, making it not ideal. SLC is probably the easiest to fly into and get transportation to a place if you go up to Park City area, but the cost can be high and is prohibitive during the film festival. I have less knowledge about the ease of reaching the other resorts outside of Park City. But SLC is *really* easy to travel to.

If you are willing to fly to Redmond, OR, which I just looked up and it doesn't seem to be insane from where I assume you will fly from, Toronto, then Mt. Bachelor is an option. They are a big mountain resort, moderate price, and you could stay in the Sun River resort area. They have shuttles up to and down from the mountain as well. You could also catch a shuttle from the Bend area as well to save a little more money. But Sun River has a lot of great houses and condos that you can rent that would be ideal for 4 or 5 people. Another Oregon option would be to rent cars but stay in Hood River or The Dalles and then travel up to Mt. Hood, and then you could like hit one of the three resorts there.

Flying into Seattle/SeaTac area would be easy, and then you could probably find arrangements for getting to and from Snoqualmie pass, which could be fun, but it is not what I would call a destination resort.

Tahoe area has shuttles from Reno to the resorts there, but the lodging can be expensive at the on resort properties.

Colorado has some shuttles from Denver to some resorts, but again the lodging becomes expensive and you are starting to look at long shuttle rides.

Thanks for the write up. We all have passports and really anywhere in NA is game.
As for terrain, we are all advanced skiers and snowboarders save one who I'd call higher end intermediate and one expert.
We're used to owning the hill in the east but understand there's terrain most of us could get into trouble with in the west. I don't think most of us are prepared or equipped for any true out of bounds experience.
I figure we will do fine at most resorts. I don't think there are many that are so lacking in blue runs that our weakest link will have a hard time getting around the mountain

Jackson hole seems like it may be a good option. Apparently winter is their offseason for the town.. Does this translate in availability of cheaper lodging?

Edit: Any Canadians in thread who have skied in both Canada and the US? Is there much of a difference in price once you account for exchange?

Math You fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 27, 2019

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Anyone been to Red Mountain? I've heard a lot good about it and it seems significantly cheaper than a lot of other resorts.
Flights are a bit complicated though. Castlegar is expensive and probably doesn't have a lot of rental options. Spokane is a loving 11hr+ flight from Ottawa and an extra 2hr drive to the resort

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Thanks everyone for the recommendations over the last page. Ended up going with Big White. Ease of travel ended up taking the cake, and it's not like it is any slouch in the terrain department.

Now to book the flights and watch in horror as the price plummets.
Any preference for Air Canada or West Jet when it comes to travelling with skis? Who's gonna gently caress me less on the luggage?

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

HookShot posted:

I think that's the right call; Red is cool and all, but if you're coming from Ontario it's just going to be way more of a hassle than you want to deal with.

I don't know about WestJet but Air Canada is ok with skis. I've flown them a few times with skis and never had any issues. Double check the baggage allowances though before you book.

Air Canada's site states that skis and snowboards must be in hard cases. I have a padded bag. You ever hear of them turning away luggage?

Edit: I don't think I've ever seen a rigid snowboard case!

Math You fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 30, 2019

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Not sure how common an occurrence this is, but Westjet has a 20%off promo today. I had booked my flight less than 24hrs ago so I cancelled and rebooked.
$800 down to $640.. I'll take it (also gently caress Canadian flights)

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Anyone have a mask / balaclava they swear by? I typically run with a neck warmer up over my chin but there are days you just need full coverage.

My current balaclavas don't mesh well with my goggles so I don't get a seal and my eyeballs freeze off. I also have a giant manly jaw so I sometimes have issues getting vents/holes to line up nicely. I've never had a jacket I could zip over my chin comfortably

Edit: coverage is king. I don't need something thick or fleece lined or whatever. Just something to cover my skin that will fit nicely under my helmet + goggles and not turn into a soggy mess in 5 minutes

Math You fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Nov 13, 2019

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

My first season, probably in my first 5 days out, 10 year old me had to witness someone go head first into a fence immediately below me while I was on the lift. Found out he died the next day in the paper. I never complained to my mom about my helmet again after that. Also took me a long time to go down that run for the first time..

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

The key to snowboarding flats is to always go with skiing friends. Poles aren't so bad to carry even on the steeps.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

So my trip to big white is just over a week away. I checked their rental catalog and it seems pretty good. Having only ridden 4 snowboards in my life I'm pretty tempted to give the rentals a shot.

Anybody way cooler than me want to take a look at this list and point out some of the cooler boards? I currently ride a fullbag diamond blade for reference. Buttering and riding switch isn't too high on my list of priorities!

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

highme posted:

^^ Jones Mind Expander over either of those imo. Then again, Jones boards do nothing for me.

If you get a deep pow day, the Yes 420 should be your first choice. The Nitro Squash, Salomon Super8 and Rome Ravine are all mountain chargers that also work well in the fluffy stuff.

Thanks a bunch
The original list was a bit overwhelming in scope

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

My fullbag has a nice grippy deck and I've never considered putting a pad on it.. my Atomic Alibi however.... That loving thing is like Teflon. Still no pad though, because I assume nothing will adhere to it.
Only lateral pressure applied to the binding keeps me on that thing

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

It's probably worth noting the specific brand he's using appear to have highbacks, which is by far the worst omission of classic step-ins. If his boots are super stiff it might be somewhat passable?

My personal experience is with early 2000s flows when I was stuck on a 200ft vertical hill and got my first strap in bindings after about 10 years of snowboarding.
The first toe side turn I took, I fell flat on my face because I was conditioned to exaggerating all of my movements to make up for poo poo rear end boots/bindings.
The sperm boot print was pretty on point though.

Fat goon, have you tried ratcheting your bindings standing up? It's pretty easy to do once you get used to it. I swear I am the only one who does it and it weirds me out. It's almost like no one else has thought of it, but how could you not with a wet butt?

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Bout to go out for day 2 at big white. There's soo much snow
Did a lot more tree runs than I had dreamed of for my first time. Easter Chutes, and Enchanted forest were awesome

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Holy gently caress big white was incredible today. We have had pretty decent topoffs overnight the last two days at about 10cm a piece so the snow was fantastic, but so far the visibility had been atrocious. At about 12:30 the skies just parted and we had a perfect blue bird afternoon.

I feel like I've gotten absolutely everything l wanted out of the trip in the first two days.

PSA: the Easter Chutes off Black Forest are not the same as those off Bullet express. I had gone through the ones off Bullet 4 times before going into the ones off black forest and there was a whole bunch of branch ducking and other schenanegans happening in there. Got stuck 2-3 times in the powder and then konked my head real good off a tree. Been about 4 hours and I don't seem to have a concussion. Helmets ftw

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Had my first warranty claim for any snowboarding equipment. Sole is starting to separate from the boot above the right heel after about 30 days on the pair.

Figured I'd get told to pound sand since I bought them in November 2018 but I just got notified they will send me a new pair once they receive mine.

Anyway, credit to DEELUXE. I really liked the boots but wasn't too sure about the brand. I'm also happy I held onto my old boots as a backup.. can use those for a few trips while I wait on the post.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

How the gently caress are either of those events at Vail possible? Do they not have lifties? They just see someone's rear end drop through the chair and let it go on?
I've seen my share of less graceful chair loads in my time, or people getting partially pulled off by the safety bar. I've never seen the lift make it more than 10 feet off the ground before it was stopped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Spime Wrangler posted:

It’s definitely a kick turn. It’s a required skill the NSP tests patrollers on. Mostly useful for stationary direction changes on steep terrain.

You should just ski backwards like us snowboarders who hate riding switch have to

"Well, I can't possible turn around here so I'm riding switch for the first time in years on double black glades "