Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Getting deep AF in Revvy, meanwhile cold enough to walk on lakes on the coast but barely 20" total coverage up there.

I'm leaving for the Rockies in three weeks. :2bong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
The freezing level remains above 3000'. The frozen lake I walked on a week ago has probably melted, and the 1.5' of snow with it.

I was already slaying blower pow this time last year. :(

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Selkirk Tangiers went to pot when they sold the outfit to RMR back during the pie-in-the-sky days just after the resort opened. I don't blame them for cashing out, because everyone in town did (houses went from $70k to $700k in 12 months, it was insane), but drat its like RMR was some kind of monkeys paw which poo poo on everything it touched if you didn't immediately gtfo in '07-'08.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I just drove 3800km and at no point have I encountered more than 9" of snow on the ground. :wtc:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Why the gently caress is Fernie almost as expensive as Whistler? The gently caress is this nonsense?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Camping in the Lake Louise parking lot tonight and getting the first loving chair up tomorrow, if anyone wants to meet up and shred drop a line in here.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Lake Louise: YOU BETTER WATCH OUT. YOU BETTER WATCH OUT. YOU BETTER WATCH OUT. ROCK FILLED MOGULS ARE COMING TO TOWN.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Lake Louise was so demoralizingly lovely that I think I'm gonna sell my skis next month and get out of this hobby for good. 1998-2020, RIP.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I have extremely high arches, I get nerve compression in my right foot to varying degrees in any boot I've worn this decade. I spent a couple hours at a boot fitter finding something which didn't cause extreme pain this season, because you can't punch under the arch buckles. This isn't really the jerry "buying what feels cozy" situation it's being portrayed as.

And yes, it was hilariously skied out and iced over at Louise, raincrust at Castle when it opened provided better turns.

Rime fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 26, 2019

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Skied Timberline yesterday, got a glorious +4c Bluebird day. Terrain was fun as gently caress, ran the half-pipe terrain park like twelve times giggling like a madman the entire time. Snow was spring slush below the lodge, 1/4" thick rock-hard raincrust with a single groomer cut into it on the Mile. Went exploring off that groomer, shat myself when I tried to stop, went right back onto the groomer.

Rentals were hot garbage, the "demo" gear was bargain bin packed-out Rossi boots and skiis from half a decade ago. Best they had were some Vantage Ti's. Ridiculous, for the price they're charging and with Meadows around the corner renting Black Crows.

It must cost them an arm and a leg to get Palmer running again every summer, those cables had 15' of stretch in them thanks to the 6" of ice rimed on. I can't say I would ever feel safe on that lift after seeing how it's abandoned for most of the year. :stonk:

I'm being sent to Colorado for the next 8 weeks, and I get a 50% employee discount at every resort in Colorado. :fap:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Some years back I remember hearing about this shop in BC which does full custom boots by frankensteining different components together. Expensive, but rave reviews.

Anyone know where this is? I think they were out in the Kootenays or something but google is failing me unless Covid shut them down for good.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Kalman posted:

Dunno about BC but in SLC there’s Daleboots, where basically they have a bunch of molds for various pieces in various sizes and they figure out which sizes to use for your feet. They work with fitters in a few places outside of SLC but afaik they’re all manufactured in SLC.

I have them and love them, but I wouldn’t have bothered if my local fitter (who’s generally considered quite good) hadn’t basically thrown up their hands and said “can’t make this work for you bc of your feet” to the point that they fully refunded my boots. So unless you have really weird feet, it’s probably not worth doing.

I have really weird feet, very high arches and very narrow heels and I'm done messing around with production boots which cut off my toes and still leave me with heel lift. :argh:

I think the place I'm thinking of might have been All In, in Fernie, but their website is broken AF so I'm not sure.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
British Columbia Coastal Backcountry, 178cm, 155lbs, incredibly poo poo-tier skiier since '97. Ditching my old Ripstick 97's, good lord did they haul uphill but they're way too light and 190cm was too long for me.

What to ride: Moment Deathwish Tour, 4FRNT Ravens, or wildcard planks I haven't considered? Mounting with Vipec Evo.

Maybe this year I'll find boots which actually work, 6th times the charm?

I saw this incredibly sick raw wood topsheet from a UK company but I can't find them anymore. :(

The mythical "quit your job and ski relentlessly" season is finally here.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

SeaborneClink posted:

4FRNT Raven 177 rider checking in, skis own. Using them as my resort skis because I'm too lazy to uphill. They're pretty playful skis, little loose at high-speed and don't bite on the edge super hard until you really lay them over, but they will turn on a dime in the trees and ride powder all day.

drat, sounds like my Ripsticks. Probably rule those out then, despite the kickin' rad topsheet. :(

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

spwrozek posted:

We need to meet up and switch new boards for a few runs later this season.

I just want that framed on my wall :swoon:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Enforcer 94's are by far the finest all-mountain resort skis I have experienced in 25 years on the hills. Slug Chug a bit when it gets thigh-deep, but what doesn't?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

gently caress me, lol. There's already waist deep power up at Elfin. These atmospheric river events are looking like the winter of 17/18 on megasteroids.

Best year to get back up the mountains, hell yeah. :black101:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Feels a wee bit early season for a triple extreme. :thunk:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

ImplicitAssembler posted:

A lot of the highways are closed to to flood damage in BC. You can get to Whistler, but that's about it.

Eh? Only the roads in the lower mainland were damaged. Fly into Calgary and ski Revvy, Kicking Horse, Nakiska, Sun Peaks, etc etc etc.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

If you're flying in to Calgary you might as well just ski Lake and Sunshine right now, highway 1 to Golden is closed so you have to do a giant detour on 93S along with everyone else and that highway was very much not designed for that level of traffic. It's going to be hell getting to/past Golden for a while.

Edit: agreed about Nakiska. You could catch a flight to Kelowna if you wanted to hit Big White/Sun Peaks/Silver Star/Revelstoke though.

HWY is open since the 30th, closure over.

Don't ski big white tho, it was 22 degrees yesterday and also its run by folks somehow worse than Vail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
https://twitter.com/UCB_CSSL/status/1475511462588211200