Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

HookShot posted:

I take it back, as of today Whistler is SIGNIFICANTLY quieter. There was almost no one up on the hill today.

Ok, cool. Should be able to pick up accomdation deal and make a 2 day trip out of it. Will wait and see if any fresh snow comes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

All the local hills are now closed...will at least take advantage of the empty hills and get the dog out to play on the slopes.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

All the fresh snow on the mountains is really not helping!!!!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Also Canadian dollar is tanking badly, so if you're buying in CAD, that may explain the price difference.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

So, if you buy an Epic local pass in the US, you get 10 days at WB?...for $700? Depending on exchange rate, that's almost cheaper than a 10 day Edge Card!

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Well, Japan is mostly back to normal or at least will be in a month or so.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Laserface posted:

I mean, I might be able to go to japan from Australia, but I dont think many places are gonna be too eager to open up borders to Americans any time soon.

thats if the flights/accom/lift tickets/everything isnt ludicrously expensive to compensate.

which it probably will be.

Lodging, if anything will be cheaper. Flight tickets, who knows.
Having said that, that while I'm cautiously planning a (non-snow) trip to Japan in early Spring, I also have in mind that it might not happen. Depends a lot on the 2nd wave, winter, etc.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

HookShot posted:

Yeah, I really hope that's not happening for a long while.

We have a good chunk of day trippers now especially on weekends, but I mean, we also have like 100 active cases across the whole province so ehhhh. It's also like maybe 10% of what we would normally have on any given Saturday in the summer, so it's not like we're back at capacity.

It's loving ironic, after Whistlers efforts of scaring away day trippers...now they're dependent on them.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

HookShot posted:

No kidding. People here have been talking about that for years, how it's going to be completely hosed when there's a recession and the locals don't come back. And LOL at this situation being one thousand times worse for international tourism than anyone expected. I hope everyone avoids the mountain this summer for that reason. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised. It's loving expensive to take the gondola up and there's a lot of economic uncertainty; it's a lot cheaper to hang out in the valley and hike locally.

And more dog friendly too. Sea-to-Sky lets me download with the dog. (Although I would never do that hike in the summer...way too crowded).

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/garibaldi-at-squamish-ski-resort-february-2019-project-update

I still have serious doubts about this, but more is better, right?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

spwrozek posted:

Maybe phase 1 will happen since it is more of the higher elevation terrain? Based on what I know of skiing near Vancouver is that there already is a huge lack of snow.

There's been one terrible year in the 11 years I've been here and a couple of bad ones. The last few seasons have been reasonable. This one obviously got ruined by Covid, but there was lots of snow in March/April.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

The easiest route is a job with work-permit, work a few years, apply for PR. It will tie you down to a specific workplace for a couple of years. Also spouses will piggyback on your work permit, with no restrictions.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Dangerllama posted:

I decided to pass

pass on the pass or get a pass?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I think because he's now a presidential candidate.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Hey Yall,
I know you have had a lot of time to do some thinking instead of skiing because of COVID. And I know the question on top of everyone's mind is, "Couldn't Amazon come up with some re-god-drat-ridiculous ski device? Preferably one that is completely unnecessary and reinvents an existing concept, just with a lot more problems?"

Well you are in luck! Or perhaps Bezos told his engineers that he never wants to ride a lift with a yabbering jerry again and this is the best they came up with. I present, the ski lift drone!

Lol, yeah, no.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I spent a Xmas riding at Sunpeaks and it was awesome. Granted, got lucky with the snow, but a fair amount of terrain, decent lifts, moderate crowds.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Well, it's supposedly a La Nina year...debating what to do..

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Yeah, my wife did. (I had started snowboarding a few years earlier).
Doing classes is the right way.
Quality/price may vary, but the group classes at Mt Baker were her favourite.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I've been considering a 5 day edge card for Whistler, but concerned that it'll be too hard to get reservations?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

HookShot posted:

Australians going to another country and then complaining about foreigners is super on-brand for most Australians tbh

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Isn't a slider switch easier to operate with cold and/or gloved hands?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Cypress opened today, but with limited ticket sales.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Jones posted a bunch of avy-safety stuff:
https://www.jonessnowboards.com/content/231-backcountry-safety

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

The first few days on snowboard are brutal. Your knees and butt will hate you...although since you already understand edge control, it should go fairly quick.
For me, the key was understand how to use the front foot. The whole 'point the direction you want to go' never worked for me...although I kinda need it when I ride switch.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I suspect it'll be worse this year, with everyone having been cooped up.
I normally take the dog up hiking in the first snow at one of the local ski hills (before they open) and it's usually mostly empty, but this year it was packed with people boot-packing/skinning up.
Meanwhile I'm waiting for that promised La Nina. I'm not working again until January, and would love some days on the snow, but currently it isn't worth it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

IncredibleIgloo posted:

You could even stand up too fast after getting your bindings on and pass out.

Eh? Do you wear one when tying your shoelaces too?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/comments/kibjf9/get_you_laps_in_early_folks_current_line_up_to/

I almost went up that day. Had gear/car packed and realized that just about everyone else woudl do the same. Cypress, unlike Whistler & Seymour does not have restrictions on passholders, but I don't think I'll be bothering to go until after the holidays.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

highme posted:

The Meadows twitter account has been posting about full lots way too early in the day for my comfort.

The problem is that Cypress has no such thing. Sure it'll say that day tickets are sold out, but otherwise is busy inviting people to come up.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/north-shore-mountains-long-lines-traffic-1.5853283

Cypress has some balls..."Everyone come up here, please!!" and then whine about BC parks allowing everyone up there, when every single other mountain in the area has reservation systems in place.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

HookShot posted:

I love how they say they're reducing capacity because of coronavirus and then in the next sentence say that lines only look long because of social distancing (fair enough, same in Whistler) but that the actual numbers are within 10% of normal peak times.

Which is it, you're reducing capacity, or running within 10% of your normal max?

Yeah, witin 10% of overcrowded in a normal year, is not what I would call 'reduced capacity'. I just got an email from them, saying that they'll now introduce pay parking, because that will surely take care of the issue. (And again blaming BC Parks for failing to stop people they invited up).

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 24, 2020

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

bawfuls posted:

hard disagree, I am lazy and need the speed-conservation of well waxed sticks on traverses/cat roads/etc

(depending on how often I get to ski of course, if I’m skiing a lot I will wax more frequently)

Yeah, I can definitely feel the difference and I don't go particularly fast. 8-10 days between, I guess?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ante posted:

Did you just miss today? I was up and it was awesome, like a spring day with solid powder areas.

But every other day looks terrible. It was melting by late afternoon, and it'll freeze solid overnight

I bailed out today after seeing it rain last night...and caught the guy clearing the snowstake on the Cypress webcam and it was concrete.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

its all nice on rice posted:

Really, what's wrong with boa systems?

Yeah, granted mine are hybrids (Vans Infusion), but I like it.
Then again, the Infusions has boa, laces and a strap...if you want these tight, well, you'll get it.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Verman posted:

Went to Mount Baker with the wife today for our second time skiing since transitioning from snowboarding. She picked up a set of used (twice since new in Jan 2021) skis and boots so she was pretty pumped to get out today. Bonus is she didn't have a migraine today unlike last time so she improved a ton and started linking parallel turns in both directions on all the blues and greens. I felt a ton more comfortable with my parallel turns and carving at higher speeds so today was a huge success.

It was also basically empty and sunny so I couldn't have asked for a better day. Heading to crystal next weekend for a long weekend with friends so I'm looking forward to that. I might demo some nicer skis than just the bone stock rentals.

Mt Baker is one of my favourite places on earth and it'll be the first place I visit when the border re-opens. (Whatever time of year). Very jealous.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Fifty Three posted:

Genuine question, and one I shouldn't have to ask because in a sane world our respective governments would be supporting us during a lockdown anyway, but- could a place like Whistler survive with just locals during a season?

No. I doubt they would have bothered to even open had they been limited to locals.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

The Glumslinger posted:

I got 0 days this year

Stupid covid

:emptyquote:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

HookShot posted:

Very American of you to assume I meant tourists in general when I pointed out one country.

And how long do you think Whistler will continue to operate without $USDs rolling in...

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

ante posted:

There are a lot of wrong things there, I'm not sure where to start

Whistler did fine a decade ago when it was affordable for the locals to actually go. It's only since Vail came on that they started mercilessly pursuing the American tourist market at the cost of losing locals

It was alienating locals way before Vail. Heck even the Whistler mayor got in on the act, telling us to spend more money or stay away. (So I stayed away).
So, no you have a situation where the locals can't afford to go and there's no Americans to prop you up.

I have zero sympathy.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

70% chance of a La Nina in the PNW this year...lets go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Rolled the dice and bought a season pass for Mt Seymour. Sorry I just ruined everyone's season now.