Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Throwback to last year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Gore and Whiteface opening Saturday :woop:

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

https://vimeo.com/301579596

(not me obviously)

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

On a happier note, 14 inches of snow at Magic Mountain;

https://twitter.com/SkiMagicVT/status/1067426121610862592

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

This is some of the dumbest ski related poo poo I've ever seen; https://www.esquire.com/lifestyle/a23610274/courchevel-ski-restaurant-bars/

quote:

Image (left): 3 Moncler Grenoble Telluride Jacket, $2,275; Turtleneck Sweater, $820; Salopette, price upon request; all available at moncler.com

Image (above): 3 Moncler Grenoble Gelt Jacket, $1,290; Telluride Jacket, $2,275; Turtleneck Sweater, $820; Salopette, price upon request; all available at moncler.com

I read that and I turned into a hypercommunist

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Whiteface posted on twitter they're planning on opening the summit for the first time this season tomorrow.

I will not be in attendance.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

I've only ever gotten poo poo once for my poles, and that was one of my coworkers jokingly loving with me over the pole I bent getting off a lift. How much do ~expensive~ poles even cost nowadays?

(that and the kid who skied over to me after I ate poo poo and was lying on the ground at Gore a couple weeks back. "I think you bent your pole mister!" no it was like that :saddowns:)

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

c'mon gfs verify just this once

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Silverton sounds like a dope as hell setup, I really need to get out there and try it sometime.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

How to make your ski area management look like assholes;

(from what I heard this wasn't posted by the main resort, instead by the concessions, but still)

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

If you're willing to drive as far as southern Vermont I would definitely recommend Magic Mountain. Decently sized area with a lot of good terrain (especially if you like steep stuff and trees), and very uncrowded especially on weekdays (that they're open, they only open Thursday-Sunday, unless they get a bunch of snow). Also they're finally replacing their old lift dating to 1962!

As mentioned, Gore is also a good area with a big variety of terrain.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Anybody got any advice for good ski areas around Idaho Falls? Thinking of moving there in the next few years. Jackson Hole and Targhee are the obvious choices, but as far as cheaper, closer stuff goes, how is Pebble Creek?

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Got a new pair of 97mm width skis to supplement/replace my 73mm wide / 152 cm long toothpicks. Now hopefully on the 1 day New York gets powder I'll be able to have a good time in it.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

K-Mart started snowmaking; https://www.wcax.com/content/news/Snow-guns-fire-up-at-Killington-562209151.html

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

In case anybody else here skies Whiteface, they're adding a new double black glade;

Should be a nice spot.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Whiteface is claiming 20 inches on their twitter page. Probably less, but still the best snow Adirondacks have had in a while. Too much for some stuff; https://cbs6albany.com/news/local/weather-conditions-prompt-avalanche-warning-for-adirondacks

mountain-forecast is saying windchill at the summit of WF will be close to -40 tomorrow, so hopefully that keeps the crowds down.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Magic isn’t too bad in terms of lines today, definitely more than normal but not even close to vail meme levels.

Got in some solid runs on upper Magician and Twilight Zone before they got too scraped off.

I’m gonna miss this place next year :(

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Looks like Liftopia is going bankrupt; https://www.snowindustrynews.com/articles/2020/june/liftopia-facing-bankruptcy-3-million-owed-to-alterra-aspen-skiing-co-others/

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

spwrozek posted:

I would not go if you are not close.

Some thing to think about is how often do you actually ski runs over 1000'. Just as an example that is the same vert as 6 chair in Breck. I lap that thing all the time. It is still the midwest though so you also need to consider all that as well.

While that's true, I have to say being able to lap 3,000 feet at somewhere like Whiteface is pretty dope.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Residency Evil posted:

I just think back to early March where I lapped High Noon like ten times in a day. 1800 feet at a time. :sigh:

Haven't been to White Face in a while. Is it always icy AF?

It's not quite as bad as its reputation, but it does get icy at times, especially late in the day.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Oh boy, looks like the ORDA mountains have responded to corona by raising prices! Gore is now $105 for a day ticket, and Whiteface is loving $115. Both were about $80 last year IIRC. And this isn't even Vail pricing shenanigans.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAqX1CJwdMg

Can confirm it was pretty windy that day.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Keep posting those, so I can live vicariously through them. I had planned on getting to MRG this year, but then lol covid (I'm in NY), and this is probably my last winter in the eastern US, so welp.

(Although I'm still more pissed that Magic is off limits. I love that place.)

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Question for the thread as a whole: I'm planning on moving to East Idaho this fall, and I'm curious about some of the ski areas around there. Jackson Hole and Grand Targhee have a good amount of info on them, but I'm more curious about some of the smaller areas, 3 in particular:

- Pebble Creek
- Kelly Canyon
- Maverick Mountain

Pebble Creek seems to have a good reputation online, don't know much about the other two besides Kelly is small-ish but closer to where I'll be living, and Maverick is in the middle of nowhere, cheap as hell, and apparently has a John Wayne statue sitting in the corner of their lodge.

If it helps, up til this year I mainly skied Gore, Whiteface, and Magic, so any comparisons with those areas is a plus.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I don't know about those three areas, but are you close enough to visit Sun Valley? I went there for a trip a few years ago and had a really nice time. It didn't seem very crowded and there was a lot of terrain. The grooming was very good as well.

I'd be about 3 hours away, but I feel like if I'm going to spend that much I might as well just go to Jackson Hole. Grooming isn't really a big thing for me (rather have less of it in most areas), but not crowded is good.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

double post

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

bawfuls posted:

Where in east Idaho, Teton Valley or more like Idaho Falls/Pocatello?

I have never been to any of those 3 but I do know Idaho Falls doesn’t have a ton of skiers. At least, not enough to make Targhee crowded so I doubt they’d make those spots crowded either.

Idaho Falls or Pocatello (I can't go much east of there, I'll be working west of Idaho Falls)

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Idaho National Lab?

Yep (I suppose saying I work west of Idaho Falls doesn't leave a whole lot of other choices, I doubt Arco has many jobs open.)
Last Friday went to McCauley Mountain, a small place (~600 vert) in Old Forge (about an hour north of Utica).

Great place, wasn't crowded at all and has some great tree runs. Even has a T-bar! (though it wasn't running Friday, think it might be weekends only). Does get a bit cold, was about -10 when I arrived. (Not as bad as Whiteface can get at the top at least)

Plus, only 25 bucks.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Verman posted:

Stevens pass in Washington has this issue. I've been several times when all their lots are full and they were shooing people away. We would end up driving into Leavenworth and just ate/drank before driving home. If you show up a little late and get into one of the distant lots (5 miles away?) Odds are you're going to stand on line for the shuttle that comes once every 30 minutes and is likely already full. Plus the line might be 2 hours long before you can get on. Then you get to the resort and have to stand in the lift ticket line if you don't have a pass. Then the lift lines are atrocious. If you show up at 7 and you don't have a lift ticket, you might not even get on the slopes until nearly lunch time. In my experience though, the parking lots fit about the maximum amount of people that can fit in the slopes before it's overcrowded. I don't really ski there much anymore because of their parking.

late to respond to this but Jesus loving Christ that sounds awful

Really thinking that going to small hills in the middle of nowhere. My only regret about the place in the western Adirondacks I went to with $25 (weekday) lift tickets and walk on lifts was that I didn't find out about it until my last winter in that part of the country.

Speaking of moving, when do places like Grand Targhee (east Idaho/NW Wyoming area in general) usually get enough snow to have a good chunk of their terrain open? I'm moving to east Idaho early November and while it'd be nice to start early I should probably take a couple weeks to get settled in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Bought a season pass to Targhee

sorry for ensuring it won't snow this year