Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG!!!

Bleak Gremlin

Hi ski friends! Glad for all of you that have been out already.

Got my passes sorted for Lake Louise and Sunshine, now to find a cheap pair of rock skis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bleak Gremlin

Disinterested posted:

What are you looking for

Cheap, slalom skis probably, waisted much less than my 100 regular all mountain skis

(edited for clarity)

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 29, 2018

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bleak Gremlin

Finally got out today. Snow was decent at Lake Louise but it could still use some more!

Got into the back bowls but the light was so flat I could not see any terrain, including slope, moguls, fall line, which squicked me out and kept me on well defined runs mostly. Front side was surprisingly good, especially just off Top of the World. Glad things are so good in Colorado also please die TIA

e. obvs joke aside (MODS KNEW), I also have torn my ski socks so would appreciate suggestions for nice thin warm brands or materials to investigate. We have a smartwool outlet in banff village--worth it or overhyped overpriced garbage?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bleak Gremlin

ante posted:

Hockey jerseys

:colbert: it was spring skiing!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bleak Gremlin

Fifty Three posted:

I skied for the first time this season.

My tendons are tired.

Two and a half weeks 'til Lake Louise! Renting Brahma's, super excited to try a good ski for the first time ever. Please baby Jesus let there be fresh snow.

One of my ski buddies demoed those last year, fell in love, and bought them. After our runs last week he's really happy with his purchase

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bleak Gremlin

spwrozek posted:

That is where I learned! Haha. Mostly at the highlands. When I was about 11 ish we started going to nubs. I think I never went back to the highlands after that.

Jealous. I learned at Cannonsburg (no pics but imagine a teen in the 80s in a bright red jacket and jeans) and trips to Boyne Nubs or Crystal were treats

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bleak Gremlin

HookShot posted:

Gonna be -35 with the windchill here tomorrow so I am straight up nopeing out of training.

It was -30 this am in Calgary before wind is factored in. drat dog still has to go out

Meaning I've sadly had to miss a few scheduled ski days because of extreme cold.

Also Colorado goons please send some snow up our way TIA

e. also Lindsey absolute monster, way to end your career in style

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bleak Gremlin

-18 C highs in town -28 C on the hill naw, gently caress that noise

Although there is finally a dump coming, could I handle -22 on the hill?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bleak Gremlin

In bounds avalanche at Castle: https://www.660citynews.com/2019/02/15/in-bounds-avalanche-hits-castle-mountain-resort/

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bleak Gremlin

Sorry about the ribs hookshot

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bleak Gremlin

Heading to Louise tomorrow, and I'll note the snow is due to start as I leave.

You're welcome

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bleak Gremlin

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Went to Lake Louise yesterday. It was a stunningly gorgeous blue bird day but icy as hell. Almost had a few spills.

Watched one poor gal throw a complete yardsale and slide further down the hill than anyone I've ever seen in person. She was ok though.

There right now it needs serious snow.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bleak Gremlin

Meanwhile Alberta is missing most of it and now getting warmer.

Heading to Sunshine tomorrow, hopefully they will be getting the predicted 10ish cm of fresh overnight

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bleak Gremlin

Sunshine was great today, seems they got more snow than predicted and so we were laying fresh tracks in boot deep powder all morning. For spring break it was pretty empty too. A few total white outs did make a couple runs extra challenging

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bleak Gremlin

HookShot posted:

I skied a decent length day today and had zero rib pain at the end of it. Now I have three days of training, then going to Pano for more training before spring series.

:toot:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bleak Gremlin

Hope the conditions are better there than what I saw Thursday at the base of the gondola at Kicking Horse--its melting pretty fast

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bleak Gremlin

Ola posted:

DNF with a broken bone is ok according to Norwegian honor culture. Not Valhalla material of course, but ok. Got amazing help. Was on a snow mobile sled with painkillers administered within 15 minutes. Got ambulanced, X-rayed etc in time to make it on an early train home, where a group of guys showered me with sympathy, aquavit, beer and cured leg of lamb. The anesthesiologist among them said it was ok. The bone is not sitting quite right at the moment, so regular doctor on Monday. Got the xray on CD-ROM, can post it as soon as I visit an antique shop to get a drive.

See, this rules.

I should break my collarbone sometime

(Get healed quickly and stay pain free!)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bleak Gremlin

11 cm fresh at sunshine and no one was here.

And work paid for the day!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bleak Gremlin

HookShot posted:

I have the world's worst google tan right now.

I have the goggle + balaclava thing going on, so its like just my round red center face like a bulls eye

Not sure what I did the other day to completely wreck my calves but two days later and they hurt even more

Apparently I need to ski more to hurt less

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bleak Gremlin

Moot .1415926535 posted:

I just met this new relative at my sisterís wedding and he pushed kicking horse hard. Anyone been there? Confirm/deny?

Its steep so you need good snow, which they can get in spades depending on the time of year.

Some of my friends say its the best skiing they have had when prime. When not its clenching.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bleak Gremlin

HookShot posted:

Doesn't matter it's not to a ski resort.

But TBH it's not all that much of a surprise that this eventually happened here. I've been saying for a couple of years that things are reaching a tipping point vis-a-vis tourists vs. locals.

There is some dude putting wire across mountain bike trails in Canmore already

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bleak Gremlin

That looks like so much fun

I ran down a scree slope the other day, really not the same stoke

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bleak Gremlin

bawfuls posted:

these goofy poles grips were a thing in the 80's and 90's and they seem to address the issue of pole strap injury pretty simply, i've no idea why they disappeared

I had these in the 80s, but in a neon blue

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bleak Gremlin

I just want snow in Alberta this year is that asking for too much?

Its the tar sands isn't it?

Karmic retribution :smith:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bleak Gremlin

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Did you miss the part where they're calling for up to a foot of the stuff in some areas by Monday

Yeah I was in Banff a fewd ays ago and got snowed on lightly on top of Tunnel Mtn. Its coming down in Cow Town right now.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bleak Gremlin

HookShot posted:

Thanks, guys.

She was one of the good ones.

:smith:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bleak Gremlin

IncredibleIgloo posted:

As a quick pivot to some positive loving topics, what is everyone's ski goal this season? I did 41 days last season so I want to hit 45 ski days(Stretch goal 50), lose 40 pounds by the end of ski season, and tackle the "Peak to the Creek" trail at Whistler. I also want to try my hand at some black diamonds. What is everyone else up to?

Continue my work to make moguls my bitch

Also losing more weight but not so much a light breeze chills my core

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bleak Gremlin

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Itís most likely a torn labrum Iím told, which I guess is part of the rotator cuff? Hereís hoping I can get the surgery scheduled earlier than later.

One my students had that done a year or two ago and it was at least 3 months before heavy exercise was allowed again. For him that is ice climbing so vOv
e:

resident posted:

My goal is to get on some skis again for the first time since my teens, and use my Epic Local at least two places in addition to Stevens Pass.

I did this a few seasons ago, its amazing how quickly it comes back to you. Enjoy and report back!

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 15, 2019

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bleak Gremlin

Disinterested posted:

Have someone hit you with a pole while they yell BEND ZE KNEES in a German accent as you ski.

This actually happened to me last year!

She was my boss not my coach though, so I actually listened

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bleak Gremlin

Jesus that was 2002?

I'm getting old

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bleak Gremlin

I want more snow

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bleak Gremlin

THE BEATWEAVER posted:

Nakiska opened Sunday on a 66cm base.

Pockets of over 500cm in the northern icefields parkway.

100+ on bow summit.

If this keeps up it's gonna be the best season the canadian rockies has seen in years.

Louise opens tomorrow

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bleak Gremlin

spwrozek posted:

It is by far the best ski resort in the lower peninsula. Love that place. Grew up riding there.

E: it was a 6 hour drive and we would be chanting:

"NUBS NOB!" "NUBS NOB!" All the time.

Heck I even have a pair of Nubs sweat pants.

I always preferred Boyne but didn't spend a lot of time at Nubs so

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bleak Gremlin

spwrozek posted:

Man if you were in Kzoo bittersweet is a bunch better than timber ridge. And really anything in northern Michigan is better than down south.

lol

I learned at Cannonsburg

Absolutely anything else in the state was better

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bleak Gremlin

Captain Apollo posted:

Nordicas or Salomans for first owned ski boots?

Iím a blue/easy black skier at Taos... looking to start buying gear.

Just bought the Smith Vantage MIPS helmet and got the Alta Wireless headphones to put in the ear flaps!

I never ski with headphones and would never recommend anyone do it but you do you just don't hurt anybody

My first boots were Alpinas from the late 70s-early 80s era, then Rachles which were racing boots and my feet were always painful and cold, then Nordica's which were comfy and cozy...then no skiing for nearly 30 years.

I got bootfitted a year or two ago after a few seasons in used Atomics and am now in custom formed Solomons shaped to my weird broken feet and have really never skied better more comfortably so yeah.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bleak Gremlin

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Well I rode my last chairlift of the season yesterday. Surgery tomorrow at 9 am.

What was the recommended ski tracking app for an Apple Watch? Wife wants to know.

best of luck moot

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bleak Gremlin

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Iím thinking about trading in my Cochise 180cm for something a little flexier/more playful as I sit here missing a powder day. I like them but Iíd like something a little easier to turn in moguls and trees. Probably about 80% resort 20% tour. Will likely use the same kingpins. Any thoughts?

My buddy loves his Brahmas, enough that I might demo them myself along with the Bonafides for my next ski

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bleak Gremlin

HookShot posted:

Yeah, each manufacturer has a rep that works with certain geographical regions. You donít live in like Oklahoma so there is almost certainly a rep somewhere who should work with you. My rep for example works for BC and Alberta. Like with anything some reps are better than others and more responsive than others. Find out who the rep for your state is for the brand you want and get in touch. Your kidís coaches should know who they are, or talk to the other parents.

Got any inside beta on new Volkl gear worth checking out?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bleak Gremlin

HookShot posted:

As far as I know for this year they just changed the topsheet, but if you haven't demoed any Volkl stuff in a while it could be good to check out. Last year (I think, it might have been the year before) they made the race skis a bit stiffer. They ski a little bit differently; they're not as forgiving but if you can turn them god drat are they ever nice.

I have no idea for the non-race gear, sorry.

Yeah I got to try last year's Mantra that reintroduced a camber underfoot. I love my fully rockered ski but near the end of the day it can get a bit tiring.

Obviously need more gym time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Bleak Gremlin

Always wear a helmet.

We have a death out here (Banff area) at the resorts every few years. More die in the back country due to avalanches but it is a risky sport.

Be careful out there goons, and Merry Christmas!