Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
https://imgur.com/CS68Y6a

Finally got my hands on my new skis!!

Very excited for these, especially how cheap they were, and also hopefully not sinking up to my nipples in anything vaguely resembling powder.

I’d eat rear end for some snow right now.

Kazak_Hstan fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Nice, I'm aiming for a pair of them for my next skis.

I picked up a pair of Fischer Rangers second hand for this season.

I had initially looked at the rangers for this upgrade but this thread pretty strongly recommended the enforcer / Brahma / mantra cluster of skis. I don’t have any opinion on the rangers, but the thread consensus was that Fischer is not a great brand.

I got these enforcers with marker griffon bindings for about $400 shipped from powder7. They are in great shape, just some cosmetic nicks. Compared against new stuff for around $900 sticker it’s pretty great. Very easy company to deal with.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Dropping over 1/3 of your body weight in a year is an impressive assertion of dominance.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I have a rich rear end in a top hat brother and I never know what to get him for Christmas. However, he just bought a condo in telluride. He loves the area. I am thinking of like a framed map of the ski area. Do any of you know of a sort of artistic ski area map, I’m not looking to just frame one of the Niehues ones.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

https://www.circlesquarediamond.com/

I got one of these from a secret santa a couple years ago and it was awesome.

this is the content I crave

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

highme posted:

Thinking really hard about flying to Denver for the Icelantic Ice on the Rocks festival. It's on my birthday & one of my favorite acts of all time is on the bill (De La Soul) and none of the other artists suck (Atmosphere, Living Legends & Watsky).

as ur lawyer i advise u 2 do it

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
brignone brignone give me the formuoli

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I can’t tell whether I love or hate everyone in the waterslide article

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
anyone been to whitefish or the vicinity this year?

I’ve heard it’s not great yet.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Kids???

In this economy??

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Got out on my new enforcers today, albeit only on Midwest groomers, and boy do they make me happy. Can not wait to try them in some power.

Also lol, just lol, if you don’t carry your skis in a clattering catastrophic heap like the black and white disaster scene at the start of an infomercial.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Im neither an engineer nor do I work in lift ops, but it seems like you would want to put more weight on it than you reasonably expect to ever actually have. Maybe that’s “over-engineering” or whatever, but as a gondola rider I would like to think the system I am on has a good safety margin.

Then again it’s pretty uncommon for every gondola car to be packed to capacity with large men.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
What’s the purpose of testing at that threshold?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

spwrozek posted:

Most materials in structural engineering are tested to half there design load so seriously stop worrying.

Beaver Creek was great today. Endless powder and skied right on to every single lift.

Why is this though? I’m not arguing, I’m genuinely curious. It makes no sense to me as a non-engineer. If you’re confident enough in the systems ability to sustain a max load that you don’t actually test to that, what’s the point of testing at half the load? Are there certain stress indicators or whatever from which you can make inferences or something?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Collar bones are like kidneys, you function just fine with one

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

kiimo posted:

I think doing some cross country skiing would help in terms of balance and maybe lose a few holiday pounds!

Fair warning, I can't imagine a less fun way to ski. Also don't let your in laws teach you how to ski, take a legit class.

Good advice, but it sounds like they’re not teaching snowplow turns, so that’s good.

Cross country is useful, but ice skating is even better for flatland training. If you “get” edges on ice skates you’ll get edges on skis fairly quickly. If you go with cross country don’t get duped into thinking classic is easy and skating is advanced. Skating technique is not hard to pick up and it’s way more fun to be a mediocre skate skier than a mediocre classic skier.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

I mean sure but also stopping by shifting to the uphill ski screams "LESSONS! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD TAKE A LESSON!"

I read that as two distinct things, 1) stopping, and 2) initiating a turn by committing to the uphill ski, but yeah lessons will help everyone.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Out at Sunshine Village today. The snow is "ok" but the lines are short and the weather is great.

p jealous, even if the snow is merely ok

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

bringer posted:

Heli skiing was great and my worries about skill were unfounded. I had to call the day short after my chronic illness flared during lunch, but the morning was exceptional and I’m glad I went.

PSA for men in your 30s: If something seems wrong, don’t waste time before getting your butt checked: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QxIIHy8kGvM

My best friend would be dead if he hadn’t gotten his butt checked. It’s good advice.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Math You posted:

WHAT WAS WRONG WITH YALLS BUTTS?

Tell me what rear end cancer signs I am missing :ohdear:

He went to give blood and was too anemic to donate, and instead of ignoring the problem he got a full work up done which detected the butt cancer early enough to treat it.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

If Vail wouldn’t get sued to oblivion then I’d say just let them naturally select out of the population.

Weird overlap in the Venn diagram between people who would never venture into the backcountry and people who don’t respect inbounds closures.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Yeah but look at all those bones that are intact.

So many bones!

There’s always a bright side.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > You Look Like poo poo > Ski and Snowboard 18/19: Broken Bones and Bleeding Butts

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
The boom box is fine provided it is a large rectangular one from the 1980s, and occupies an entire shoulder and arm.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
My helmet has integrated headphones, which I thought were going to be amazing. I wanted to like get off the lift, turn on REM and just float down the mountain in my own little bubble. It only works in a big open gentle bowl without many people around. Otherwise it diminishes situational awareness and either makes me afraid I’m going to contribute to a collision or not give my full attention to skiing something difficult enough to challenge me.

For me anyway it’s a pretty narrow use case.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
My level 1 course was in avalanche terrain. Every course I am familiar with is, but I’ve only paid attantion to offerings in south central Alaska.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I personally love smart wool ski socks. They’re a good item to buy in the off-season, can usually be found cheap.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Recover fast, young Bob Odenkirk.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Re: climbing skins, any experience or recommendations for either G3 Alpinist or Black Diamond Ascensionist?

They are both about $100 cheaper than alternatives like the Contour Hybrid Mix, which has higher reviews.

I am probably more sensitive to glue failure than other considerations like glide. I don’t want some gloppy bullshit that’s going to trash my bases.

Alternatively, any first hand experiences with the non-adhesive silicon ones like the “vacuums” or w/e? They sound interesting, but also like separation is pretty common.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
That loving sucks.

If you want a pair of Head Peak 72s you can have them for the cost of shipping. They’re nothing special, basically rental style skis, but they’re better than nothing.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

tokenbrownguy posted:

Dudes/ettes! Double thank you! Thank you so much! I'm going to hold off and wait a weekend or two to see if they show / I track them down on Craigslist. If that don't work I'll hit you up for sure.

Please do if it comes to it, they’re just extra stuff I’m moving around at this point.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Spime Wrangler posted:

My brother just started a six day ski trip today. First day out he's at Taos. Right as he got off lift 4 his group watched an inbounds avalanche carry at least two people. Ski patrol immediately deputized everyone to start probing but it sounds like the dogs were what found them. One person may have been wearing a beacon and the other wasn't, and it took about 45 minutes to extract both of them from under ~10 feet of debris. 45 minutes was too long. e: apparently those people are now being reported as alive

https://taosnews.com/stories/avalanche-buries-multiple-people-on-kachina-peak,54548

wow

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Gonna get out on A/T skis for the first time on Saturday :stoked:

I pieced together a sweet setup at big time discount. The skins were the most expensive part, and they weren’t even sticker. A year’s worth of obsessive reading, scouring online deals and ski swaps paid off.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

knox_harrington posted:

What did you get?

spwrozek posted:

And for how much?

4FRNT Col 114s (lightly used) $125 from a guy I talked to at a ski patrol party

Dynafit Beast 14s $150 from steep and cheap

G3 Alpinist skins $160 from backcountry.com (the ones cross branded with backcountry - they did not come with a skin saver of any kind, not even a cheap sheet of plastic, for anyone considering them)

I guess my boots cost more but I’m using the same Cochise 120s I’ve been using for in bounds, so it didn’t cost me any new money.

I didn’t cut corners on safety gear, but did wind up with beacon shovel probe and airbag for $500.

BCA Tracker 2 (new) from Freeze Pro Shop online for ~$200
Shovel / probe from a local shop $100
SnowPulse 30L airbag pack from a local outdoor consignment shop for $200. That was the piece I was most skeptical about, but the pack shows virtually no signs of use, I inspected the airbag and it shows no damage, and it inflated properly (came with a charged cylinder, bonus), so I think it was a sound purchase. There’s probably cause for caution buying a used lifesaving device, but I can’t really swing a sticker priced new one so I think it nets out as a benefit to my risk exposure.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
hell yeah everybody break everything

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

McStephenson posted:

Edit: in other news, anyone got a silver bullet for IT Band/LCL injuries? Elevate, but should I do cold or hot on it?

Running goons swear by foam rolling for the muscle stuff, if it’s ligament damage though you’re probably stuck taking it easy and letting your body do its thing. How sure of the specific nature of the injury are you?

Did my first AT day today, some parts very positive some very difficult!

It was good to put everything together and skin up, which went really well. Unfortunately, the ski down was extremely difficult - an inch of breakable crust on top of three feet of rotten sugar. I have not yet mastered the dynafit bindings; it seems like getting the toe piece to actually engage requires NASA precision.

All in all really good though, all the volcanoes were out, gorgeous sunset, and my extremely poor, verging on futile, turns were 100% human powered.

Probably going to take this setup to alyeska and get it a little more dialed in. It’s very frustrating to attempt to step into my bindings and fail eight times in a row. Seems like maybe i need to fashion some sort of gaffe to manually engage the lever that controls the pins on the toe piece, but like that should engage if the pins are lined up with the holes and I step on the spring plate.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

LostCosmonaut posted:

How to make your ski area management look like assholes;

(from what I heard this wasn't posted by the main resort, instead by the concessions, but still)

So dedicated to your poo poo job you’re considering spending the night there for free? Yeah, well double gently caress you!

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
After messing around with my boots and touring bindings, I think I solved my problem with difficulty engaging the toe piece.

My problem was that when stepping on the spring that engages the toe pins, it only partially activated, leaving the pins barely touching the holes. Reaching down and manually pulling up on the tour/ski lever clicked them in, but that seemed pretty impractical.

Most of the videos I could find, as well as advice from friends with dynafit bindings, said to line up one hole and then roll the boot toward the other pin. Instead, I have been centering the toe of the boot, pressing down to partially engage the spring, and then rotating the boot forward by lifting the heel as though I were walking, which fully triggers the spring.

Anyone else had tech bindings work this way? Dynafit beast 14s (which is just a TLT toe piece) and tecnica Cochise boots. If it works it works I guess, but it seems like something as precisely machined and tested as tech bindings should work in one way, and makes me suspect I am doing something wrong.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
https://imgur.com/a/d9pwDmE

We really need some snow in south central AK but any sunny day at alyeska is pretty nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Snow in southcentral AK isn’t great for downhill but ive been out on the cross country trails and boy is it nice to glide through snowy spruce trees.