Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Dangerllama posted:

Anyone know if the CAIC going to resume zone forecasts later this year? Right now it’s all state wide. Since I missed the entirety of last season I don’t remember if they stopped doing certain forecasts due to funding cuts or what. #IStillMissTheRose

Zone backcountry avalanche forecasts will begin in mid-November per the front page of the website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Eejit posted:

Booster straps, yay/nay?

Also 170 lbs and (almost) the best skier on the mountain, expert or WC straps?

I use the expert strap, I guess I'm a beater

Also the "booster style" strap on the RX 130 is not a booster strap. The magic of boosters is the elastic, the stock Lange strap has the cam lock but no elastic so it is better than a velcro strap but still sux compared to Boosters.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Yuns posted:

I've dropped from 240 lbs at 35%+ percent body fat last season to 150 lbs at about 8% now

Jesus, dude. Good hustle.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

This is how models who have never skied a day in their lives carry their skis

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

HookShot posted:

I see people carrying their skis like this at LEAST ten times a day.

Of course, I was just making a joke about the Esquire models.

Dangerllama posted:

Tips up. Who flips their skis upside down to put them on their shoulders?

Everyone who has a clue. Take a look around next time you're at a ski area. The people who ski a lot (racers, instructors, patrollers, locals, dirt bags, etc.) will all, for the most part, be carrying their poo poo like this:

Further reading: https://unofficialnetworks.com/2012/11/16/carrying-skis-properly-lesson-idiots/

I hope this post was educational

ironlung fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 6, 2018

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Moot . posted:

I’m headed up to Aspen for a show on Sunday and I think I have my choice of which mountain to ski on Monday with a buddy pass? Would love some local input as the last time I skied there I was 15 and hit a tree on Buttermilk the first day, effectively ending my trip.

Ajax is my favorite mountain and it's skiing great right now but if you're only here for a day and have only ever skied Buttermilk, hike the bowl @ Highlands. If you're feeling ambitious you could do a bowl hike in the morning then hop on the shuttle (10-15min) and ski Ajax in the afternoon.

ironlung fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 8, 2018

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Dangerllama posted:

Oh, also I can’t stop checking out how people are carrying their skis now.

And what have we learned?

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

bawfuls posted:

Here's the TGR Forums thread on the Phantom thing, seem to be positive impressions there thus far

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/314708-DPS-Phantom-Glide/page11?highlight=dps+phantom

Blister likes it too iirc

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

bringer posted:

In your 20s and 30s, a little blood from your butt is usually assumed to be hemorrhoids and doesn’t seem to be taken seriously. I had that plus chronic stomach aches and irregular poops. My doctor thought that was a bad combo and sent me for further testing where they found and removed a bunch of pre-cancerous growths in two surgeries.

It’s still an ongoing thing I have to deal with but it’s a drat sight better than finding out after it had metastasized into cancer. Knowing is half the battle. ~GI JOEEE~

Describe these stomach aches. I have had this weird lower left abdominal pain for years, very dull that comes and goes, even went to the doc for it and they said it was because of eating too much dairy (cutting out dairy did nothing). Nothing alarming/irregular with my poops tho.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Moot . posted:

Anyone know about the lifespan on custom footbeds? I think my boots are just about done and would like to be able to swap my footbeds over to whatever new boots I get.

A good custom footbed should last several hundred ski days

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Razzled posted:

my friend got made fun of at jackson hole for having cheap poles lmao.
so glad i'm a snowboarder

need more details here. this makes no sense, old beat up lovely poles are extremely common at any ski area.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

spwrozek posted:

I am thinking of getting a BC ski setup for those trips with long flatish runouts that suck on my split. Plus I do enjoy skiing as well.

Any opinions on all the BC boots out there? I am probably going to put the Salomon Shift binding on the skis. My in bound skis are in decent shape but can be a bit relegated to rock duty. So go for a all around setup geared a bit more towards the BC. (since I have a number of snowboards and a split I just can't get all quivery with skis...)

Any thoughts on skis? I am going to try for as much on sale as I can get. Probably 100-100 in the waist and 172-176 in length. I don't really want to a super duper light ski honestly but not a crazy heavy on either.

Also you should all tell me that I shouldn't do any of this, I have enough gear, I am hurt and don't spend money from FOMO, etc. etc. etc....

4frnt raven is the hot poo poo touring ski right now and they're pretty reasonable at $600 retail, doubt you'll find them on sale tho

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

I think I had my best turns of the season today... this winter in CO is blowing last yr out of the water. Heard WC has already passed last season's total snowfall. We've gotta be getting close too.

e: just looked it up, we are officially past last year after the current storm cycle

ironlung fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 7, 2019

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

I picked up a pair of Brahmas this season, great great great ski for ripping around the resort in average conditions.

Moot . posted:

If they ski like the Cochises then you're set. I love mine.

They really don't... which is not a bad thing for either ski

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Wow. That Bear Creek accident is as tragic as it gets.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Moot . posted:

Against all odds the Vail/Denver crowd made it down here and I had to wait ten minutes in a lift line today.

I can't decide if it's (ikon) making a difference in Aspen. Any time there's a line this season people complain that it's because of the Ikon pass. But yesterday for example, 7" of blower pow in the am report on a bluebird Saturday in February during a really good season... it's going to be crowded Ikon or not. My buddy wouldn't shut up about it yet he has lived here his whole life and stood in line on weekend pow days before. And still, the gondola wait at the bottom at the worst was maybe 10-15 minutes around 10:30am. I literally walked straight onto the gondy at 9am, zero line and we were skiing onto most chairs all day or waiting like 60-90 seconds.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Yesterday was the best ski day I've had in about 4 years. So ridiculously good.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Eejit posted:

Agreed. Highlands was the tits, where did you ski?

Ajax. I was in line about 5-10 minutes behind first bucket which worked out perfectly because Kristi/Walsh's were delayed slightly. I skied up right after it opened and was the second person down Kristi. I ski that run like 100 times every season and that was probably top 3 ever.

Then I got lucky again on my 3rd lap and caught Traynor's right after they dropped the rope, I skied down the ridge and dropped into the first untracked line I saw and that was another all-timer.

I'm sure Highlands was amazing. Hard for me to justify going out there these days w/kiddo @ home. Ajax is so much more time efficient since you can park a couple blocks from the gondy for free. Did they get the bowl open?

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

spwrozek posted:

Got out in the back country for my first real skiing since December 25th... It was great. Total bluebird day, snow softened just enough. Of course I slipped and fell on my shoulder in the parking lot... But it wasn't too bad so on we went. Only did one run, the skinning was a bit tough, but I would have loved a second one. Here is some photos and a vid.

Skinning up

Nice views

Fun wind and sun effected snow
https://youtu.be/YGGkGxDiB-s

Looking forward to a bunch of great days this spring.

Be careful out there man. I don't like to be the armchair online backcountry safety police and it looks like your tour was pretty mellow. But there are massive, historic, 100 and 300 year landscape changing avalanches popping off all over the place lately. The kind of slides that can trigger remotely and get you even if you're in a "safe zone" under normal conditions.

Here's what CAIC is saying:

quote:

If you do chose to move into steeper terrain, you need to understand that the weak layers are buried so deeply that you will not see signs of instability such as cracking or collapsing. Snowpack tests will give you little meaningful feedback. There is no way to tell if a slope is safe right now. The decision to ride in avalanche terrain near and above treeline comes down to your risk tolerance. Know that if you trigger an avalanche it will break deep, will break across terrain features, will run to the valley floor, and will most likely be unsurvivable.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Yuns posted:

Also my old sedan is about to die and I need to buy a new vehicle. I love sports cars but I need this to have some utility as a regular ski trip vehicle. Also I like stick but my wife refuses to drive one so it needs auto. Also it needs AWD or 4WD.

Japanese, AWD, roof box, Blizzaks is your standard ski vehicle load out.

Razzled posted:

4th gen 4runner if you can find one that's been cared for. they're all equipped with a torsen center diff so they're 4H all the time

Been driving my 4th gen (2007 SR5) in a ski town for over 10 years and it's just getting broken in. I have real feelings of affection towards that vehicle. I leave it in 4H all winter... just flipped it back to 2WD the other day.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Disinterested posted:

Caught some turns at Highlands today before it closed, and at A-Basin. A-basin is really holding up.

I skied Highlands yesterday and was shocked by how much snow is still up there. The rock outcropping on the bowl hike is still completely buried and we are 3 days away from May. Crazy.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

il serpente cosmico posted:

Skinning looked a whole lot easier.

Holy poo poo buddy, if you post holed your way up and still enjoyed yourself, you'll love skinning. It is exponentially easier and more efficient.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

I make sure they are bone dry then put skin savers on. Fold up, put in baggie, store in gear closet.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

HookShot posted:

So apparently our ski club program is going to go to Colorado in mid/late October for training maybe for ~*~reasons~*~

Except IIRC most of Colorado doesn't open for race training until early November? Am I remembering that wrong? I just know that the last time I went to Colorado, five years ago, we were there I think November 7th to 12th or something like that and there was STILL nothing open and everyone had to go to Copper.

November can be decent maybe one or two out of five seasons. October skiing is a publicity stunt.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Yuns posted:

Bumping the thread to say Ikon just added Zermatt. Also we need a 19/20 thread.

19/20 The Ikon Pass added Greenland

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

ohhh man i could go for some butt wiggling right about now. looks very fun

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the technica Cochise boots? Just tried a pair on and they seem great. And they’re 40% off.

Like any boot, it will be good if it fits you properly.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Spime Wrangler posted:

So my tele boots blew a buckle last season and while getting ready for the fix I noticed there's a crack forming in the bellows. RIP.

Now I get to answer the worst tele question: re-buy into 75mm ($ - $$ but locked into a dying standard), upgrade everything to NTN ($$$), or return to the light with an AT setup and get to have boots with this-century technology ($$$).

sounds like you already know the answer

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I have a boot question here. I have a set of boots (Dalbello Panterra MX90) that I purchased last season to upgrade from a Nordica Cruise 60. The Nordicas are a bit too soft and are oversized so I went to a bootfitter and got the Dalbellos in the correct size. They fit well in the shop. They seem to give a lot more control on the mountain as well. The only problem is that they cause a lot of pain to the top of my foot(The "midfoot" area), right above the arch in my foot. Enough pain that I can't ski more than a few runs in them without taking a break or stopping, and sometimes there is numbness as well. The boot has a few customization options; you can adjust the rear spoiler/cuff and you can also adjust the amount of forward lean/cuff alignment.

Does anyone know if these symptoms tend to be from a common problem, or that if changing any of the options on the boot would improve it? Would trying to adjust the lean to be more forward be my first step?

Edit to say that my measured last is 102 and the boot has a last of 103.

take them back to the fitter and tell them what is going on. any good one will make adjustments after you purchase for free until they are dialed.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

I have a dart board in my basement, do you guys want me to create a long range winter forecast too?

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I would love for the doom and gloom to be wrong but it seems like the sea surface temperature data is something they can make decent projections from

Long range winter forecasts suck, period. Like Eejit said, you can find a good example by looking at what they were saying before last season vs what actually happened.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

spwrozek posted:

Anybody have thoughts on FutureLight? Seems like it is cool but very expressive. Not sure it would be worth the cost for most normal people.

Looks/sounds pretty good, would need to fondle in person to see what all the fuss is about. Definitely on the expensive side but you can spend a lot more on a ski jacket without that technology.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

All the reviews I read several months ago didn't have any real data, TNF wasn't allowing the technical details to be released or independently tested. Which I found to be kind of strange, you'd think if it was objectively better they would want to get the word out...

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

spwrozek posted:

Aspen is putting DPS phantom 2.0 on all their rentals this year. I only know one person who had it but it was the 1.0 and it did not turn out well.

Here's the article from the other day:

https://www.aspentimes.com/news/aspen-skiing-co-among-those-saying-goodbye-to-ski-wax-hello-to-phantom/

Aspen Skiing Company is one of the best operators in the industry and they did pretty thorough testing before deciding to put Phantom on their entire rental fleet.

ironlung fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Nov 18, 2019

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Steve French posted:

Time to get them started

I picked up gear for my 1 year old daughter (she turns 2 in a few months) a couple weeks ago and we're going to get out for the first time next weekend. My goal is to have her up at least one day per week this season so she is fully indoctrinated asap.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Steve French posted:

Hell yeah. Ours are just over 2 (birthday in September). Keep the thread updated on her progress; I'd also love to share experiences/advice/etc.

I think for us weekends will be for skiing with kids, mid week while they're at day care will be for skiing for ourselves

Day 1 yesterday, it was awesome. My kid did amazingly well considering she's not even 2. We did about 6 mini laps with and without the leash, I think I'm going to try to stay away from it as much as possible although it does save your back. French fries and hot chocolate afterwards.

Gear-wise, after one day the essentials are a fartbag instead of jacket/pants, edgie wedgie, and a backpack style harness (with our without leash) so you can pick them up easily. I'm on the hunt for some mittens or gloves for toddlers that don't suck, the two pairs I have for my kid don't stay on and don't fit well.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Eejit posted:

I legit like Epic Mix

E I also like skiing waist deep pow in the bowl at 1 pm on Dec 9

We were hiking/skiing at the same time. I was maybe 10 mins ahead of you, I should have texted but since it was a Monday I didn't try to get ahold of anyone and just made a solo beeline up the bowl and then went back to work.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Yuns posted:

My daughter's life was saved by her helmet a couple of seasons ago when she had a ski race training accident that put her head first at speed into a metal fence support pole. She would have died or had a severe traumatic brain injury otherwise.

Plenty of info and studies out there so you don't have to take my word for it, but snow sports helmets are pretty bad at protecting against traumatic brain injuries and deaths. A ski helmet is not going to be the difference between dying and walking away like nothing happened. It might be the difference between being dead and being seriously brain injured (ex: Michael Schumacher) but if your head suffers a catastrophic impact you are going to be hosed up no matter what. Sounds like your daughter was just very lucky.

And I'm not saying to not wear a helmet. They're good at protecting against stuff like skull fractures, lacerations, etc.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Master_Odin posted:

Another key tip for people learning is please do not cut off patrollers running a tobaggan, or buzz it. I can guarantee you the patroller does not enjoy it.

So your "key tip" is for something that a) you will rarely encounter especially in beginner areas and b) is common sense for any reasonable person

Or maybe I'm just out of the loop and beginners these days are running rampant, jibbing toboggans and harassing ski patrol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Suicide Watch posted:

What kind of boot sole binding standard are we looking for here? I don't think most ski places with demo skis have tech bindings installed, for example.

There are lots of "crossover" boots that work with both alpine and tech bindings.