Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Any Denver-area skiers have recommendations for a good package/resort to get to learn? I'd personally like something my wife and I can get a really good foundation, and if it costs a little more for something with personal attention I'd be down for it. 1 on 1 seems way too much though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Also: if I have waterproof rain pants, can those be combined with a base layer/insulation layer and be used as ski pants? Or will I hate life?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

highme posted:

You'll be ok, but if you want to hold off until you're sure you want to continue it's not the worst option. Also, just go to Loveland. It's the closest I-70 resort, relatively cheap and they have a whole side of a mountain that's just beginner poo poo to mellow blues.

Loveland is what I was told by someone else so I'm glad to see it said again.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I totally forgot I have like 18 year old snowboarding pants I borrowed from a college friend, never gave back, and have moved with me a dozen times. They will probably be good enough.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Razzled posted:

i usually turn my music down for the lift line to conversation level, and off if someone asks. i like using one better than ear buds though so i can still hear what's going on around me when i'm going down.

I imagine everyone in the line wants to ask you but is hesitant to cause any confrontation.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'm looking at some consignment gear. These solstice Gore Tex pants fit well but have dual full side zippers that go bottom up and top down. No other venting options. Is this stupid or cool?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Lessons booked in 3 weeks. Hyped. Wish it could be sooner but adulthood.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

RC Cola posted:

Where are you going? Also if you need more help after your lesson and it's in Colorado I can help. I used to be an instructor back in the day and am patient/ don't care if I spend a day hanging out on greens

Loveland. Too good a deal to pass up, combined with a few people I trust saying it's a good place to learn.

I'd love to learn more afterwards, too. Where do you like to ski?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

So legit q: for all the costs of this poo poo, should I buy a beacon as soon as I'm skiing real mountains? Seems like reasonable insurance.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

First day of skiing in like 22+ years tomorrow. Temps appear to be in the low 20's.

Kind of afraid of either under or overdressing. Current plan:
- Smartwool light socks
- some old Patagonia Capeline long johns (are these not gonna work with boots, and should be something 3/4?)
- lightweight icebreaker shortsleeve (can also go longsleeve)
- OR Deviator hoody for the mid
- old gore-tex pants, dont seem to have any real insulation
- some mountain hardware shell i bought from a friend. appears to have a snow skirt and one of those snappable girdle belts to keep snow from getting up there.
- black diamond gore-tex leather gloves

I guess my only real question is: do I go long-sleeve base, or just trust the deviator? I don't need a puffy at 20, right?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Dangerllama posted:

How thick are the long johns? The other issue you may run into with goretex pants and only lj’s is your rear end getting cold on the lift.

I would call them mid-weight. They aren't as thin as a light merino or silk at all.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I skied. It was fun enough. My instructor kinda sucked. Any advice for videos or books or whatever to learn from between now and the next time I go? My wife and I have two half day lessons left in the sequence.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Dangerllama posted:

What sucked about it?

He was just kind of an rear end in a top hat to people and didn't give any real answers to questions.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Disinterested posted:

Just say you want a different instructor, preferably someone fully certified.

The way instructors work made me unable to assess this person beforehand. But there are dozens of these people and you aren't assigned anyone beforehand so I don't think I'll see him again.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Wife and I finished our 3rd lesson at Loveland. The instructor took us over to the basin and drat I now know what Colorado skiing is. Gorgeous and expansive and fun.

Now that I can handle greens I now have the bug. RIP wallet.

That being said, what should I be looking at for used skis and bindings? And any Denver area suggestions for boot fitters?

I've seen some guides even suggest Brahmas for heavier beginners which seems ambitious. I'm about 190 and 5-10 so I'm definitely not light.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

spwrozek posted:

I would probably try to find boots at EVO, REI, EPIC, Christy. Should be some sales right now.

You should be able to find skis on Craigslist. You could also get new stuff pretty cheap right now.

Your lady buying too?

Unsure on the lady. She might rent one more time. I think she would like her own helmet and goggles tho. Same with me.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

spwrozek posted:

I have some ladies skis with bindings for sale if she ends up being interested.

What size/brand/type etcccccc

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Any suggestions for Amazon-Magnetic-Lens-Goggle level/price Goggles for my wife, with a very small face/head? They seem SICK for the price so far for me, but for her are much too large. Rainbow mirror lens option a plus.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

So how should I plan to ski Colorado next year help

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

spwrozek posted:

How often will you go? How much do you want to spend? Any desire to travel? Starting in the mountains or day trips? Ski level and progression goals?

1-2x a month. Don't really care. Not really, probably, at least this year. Day trips with occasional overnights. Beginner who gets way too into new things.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

TMMadman posted:

Well my original post was 'I am currently eating a prescription milkshake'.

is this like a fancy Ensure?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

il serpente cosmico posted:

Sweet, I have 9 dental implants and the last two needed upper bone grafts. The best part was that after the surgeries, I could occasionally get what felt like phlegm out of my sinuses (I'm sure your doctor told you not to create vacuums and large pressure changes while you're healing), but when I spit it out it was actually coagulated blood and ground up pieces of bone.

Take it to goons with spoons ok

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

spwrozek posted:

I would probably consider just going with a Loveland or winter Park pass. Not sure an epic local or ikon will be worth it. You spent this year at Loveland though I think. If you are mostly day tripping I would rather go over brethoud pass than through the tunnels.

What makes the big ones worth it you think? Also I definitely won't exhaust Loveland this year at all and it's easy to get to so that's a draw. My buddy goes to a basin all the time though, so there is that.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

nwin posted:

Hey so I’m moving to warmer weather and with a newborn I don’t have any time to ski with some new gear I bought two years ago.

I’ve used the boots and skis a total of 4 times and I’m wondering what I should be able to get for them.

The skis are volkl RTM 75 with 4 motion bindings in size 166.

Here’s a link to specifications:

https://www.coloradoskishop.com/Vol...=shoppingengine

The boots are tecnica Mach 1 MV size 26.5 boots.

Any ideas? Just looking to get rid of them so I don’t have to move with them. The skis will include some poles and a bag, and the boots come with a bag as well.

Where do you live? I'm looking to get something used in that skill range and am in Denver.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

highme posted:

Honestly, a Tacoma or 4Runner are the 2 best options in that size. You will pay a bit more, but nothing holds value like they do and total cost of ownership is relatively low.

Talk me out of an older Ranger. I want to replace my redundant hatchback with a truck for an off road motorcycle, climbing/camping, other Colorado area hooning. Tacoma's are too much.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

highme posted:

What range of years, and what's your budget?

Whatever good truck I can get for probably like $6-8k. Note I live in Denver, but I'd drive out to get something cheaper if I can. I feel like I'm going to pay a premium here for anything like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Moot . posted:

Welp, closing day. Here’s to getting unreasonably intoxicated in a costume.

Is this why I saw a bunch of unicorns and poo poo at Loveland? It's not even closing day!