Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

I just ordered one of these: https://www.burton.com/us/en/p/mens-burton-family-tree-bottom-feeder-snowboard/W19-185761.html

I can't wait to try it out. I spend as much time as possible off-groom, and I think this will be a lot of fun. I also wear a size 12 boot, and I'm looking forward to being able to really lay this thing over. I've been riding a Burton Sherlock for the past four or five years, and it isn't wide enough.

Good float in pow, decent performance on groom, maneuverability in trees, and wide as hell should suit my needs nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

Oh poo poo, that sucks :(

gently caress, I'm sorry that happened. If you have renter's insurance it might be worth looking into whether they're covered. I know mine covers stolen bikes, at least.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

Thanks man. We're pretty open to blue/blacks, other than my wife doesn't like glades too much.

Storms? Maybe some fresh powder?

Edit: hahahahahaha multiple feet of new snow. This is gonna be awesome.

I've only been to Tahoe once, but I really enjoyed Homewood. Super chill vibes over there. And much cheaper than most resorts down there. The view of the lake is fantastic, too.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Spime Wrangler posted:

My brother just started a six day ski trip today. First day out he's at Taos. Right as he got off lift 4 his group watched an inbounds avalanche carry at least two people. Ski patrol immediately deputized everyone to start probing but it sounds like the dogs were what found them. One person may have been wearing a beacon and the other wasn't, and it took about 45 minutes to extract both of them from under ~10 feet of debris. 45 minutes was too long. e: apparently those people are now being reported as alive

https://taosnews.com/stories/avalanche-buries-multiple-people-on-kachina-peak,54548

Yikes. No one expects this to happen in-bounds at a resort.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I tried out my new Burton Bottom Feeder yesterday for the first time. It wasn't a deep pow day but there was a bit of fresh and wind-favored slopes were deep and windloaded enough to feel buttery smooth.

The board was fantastic in the fresh stuff, and after an adjustment period it was surprisingly decent as a carving board on the groom. The short running length means sharp turns, which I prefer to long meandering ones. You feel the setback and tiny tail when you put it on edge--it really feels like the board is taking you for a ride when you initiate a proper carve with your front foot. The width is nice; I have a bit of overhang still but I'd really need to get that thing elevated to get any foot drag. It felt quick and nimble in the trees, too.

It's a little squirrelly at high speeds on hardpack. I didn't take it in the park but I can't imagine it'd do very well.

I can't wait for a truely deep powder day. I'm going back up on Monday, which looks like it'll be a nice day for groomers (a bit of fresh is coming down tonight and tomorrow to freshen things up), so I can continue to see how it'll fair as a daily driver

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 19, 2019

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I, too, am going up to Meadows to enjoy some 50 degree riding. My girlfriend loves spring conditions, and I aim to please.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Meadows was fun yesterday. Never waited in line for more than a few minutes, and the snow held up for surprisingly long considering it was over 50 degrees. Even found some proper untouched corn off of Vista.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Blarg, when is the crazy poo poo gonna hit the PNW? I haven't been in anything properly deep this year.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Meadows had some wonderful groom today. I'm loving putting my new board on it's edges. It's been nice and cold up there.

Off-groom was pretty spotty. I slid about 50 feet on rear end down A-zone. We tried to get into Clark but it was rough getting over there on a snowboard. Getting into Clark is super variable; I've had days where I've made it without strapping out, and others where there was no way in hell I was getting in without significant hiking.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Mt. Hood is supposed to get 3 feet or more starting tonight into Tuesday. I dont think I'm working Tuesday

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I'm going up tomorrow, and crossing my fingers that they can get open on time

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 11, 2019

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Dangerllama posted:

I stopped paying attention to the forecast when I realized it was causing me to ski less than I ought to, and gave me a bad case of FOMO.

Just go ski.

I still pay attention to the forecast to get in as many powder days as I can, but you do make a good point: don't be a slave to conditions, because there is always fun to be had at the mountain. poo poo, I've even had fun in the rain in limited doses.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I had my best turns of the year today at MH Meadows. A foot of fresh fell last night, and I got into Private Reserve early and had one of the best runs I've ever had in there (the only one that tops it was when I lucked out and got in there right at the season's first rope drop a few years back). It was deep and fluffy, which is a nice treat, considering its lower elevation. After a few laps in there, we heard Heather Chair was running, and we lucked into a rope drop at Twilight Bowl and had a super fun run despite it being a little wind affected. My girlfriend, who took up snowboarding a few seasons ago, is comfortable enough to ride steep pow now, which has been great to witness.

I just read that a skier died in a tree well at Timberline today, though, which is really terrible :/

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

highme posted:

Conditions at Meadows today were ridiculous. The timing shack at the bottom of the halfpipe was firing. The good news is today was our last banked slalom/boardercross day & we only have 2 more comps (next weekend) before State Finals.

I did get 2 laps early, but was constrained to the west side. I will say that I took a walk to my usual piss spot and the tree wells in there were pretty sketch.

Yeah, some of the tree wells on the HRM side look devious, and we saw a kid climbing out of one when we were going up the HRM lift. He was in feet first, so I'm not entirely sure what happened there. I definitely took extra care in PR.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Another thing about Meadows yesterday: it wasn't terribly busy for a weekend powder day. Presidents day weekend was so insanely busy that I figured it'd be the same story yesterday. But we didn't wait in line to get on a chair more than two or three times, and crowds seemed totally manageable.

I'm also never going up on 26 on a peak weekend again. We look 84 to 35 and it's only 10 minutes slower than 26 is on optimal days, and it's much more consistent. It's taken me over three hours to get home on 26. gently caress that noise.

It's supposed to dump all day tomorrow so I might skip work on Tuesday.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

highme posted:

The Hood River route is clutch, especially if you live near 84 anyway. When we were leaving Saturday around 4:30 I was shocked at how little traffic there was. I had thought about taking 35 before checking traffic, but carpooled with a couple of friends who had parked in Sandy so it wasn't really an option.

I think it was last winter, there was a Saturday that I left the same time our bus did. I turned left out of the lot and stopped in Hood River for a beer and food before continuing home. It took me about 2.5 hours to get to Tualatin. As I pulled into my driveway I sent a text to a friend on the bus to see where they were. They had just passed Welches.

I live right off Foster, which makes 26 super convenient to me (I take Foster to 212, and make my way through Boring to 26 most of the time). On weekdays when there's no snow on the road and traffic is light getting, I've made it in an hour and 15 minutes. But the reality is on weekends when the conditions are decent is that it'll take me 2 hours, minimum. And there's always the chance you can get stuck on 35 in a terrible line because of an accident and have it add another hour to the trip. It's just a quick shot up Powell for me to hit 205, so 84 isn't too out of my way. But the trip is 34 miles longer. I just can't do 26 on weekends anymore, particularly since we always park at HRM anyway.

On President's Day weekend we got stuck for nearly an hour at the merger near the Dairy Queen in Rhododendron. We didn't get to the Meadows until 9:30 or so, and HRM was already closed and we were in the very last line of cars they let into the parking lot (they had a last line of cars go in the main lot and fill in the last couple dozen spaces at the edges of the lines of cars).

In conclusion, weekends at Meadows at rough, and they've gotten noticeably worse over the past 5 years or so. Lots of folks moving to the area, and they all like to ski, apparently. I've also noticed that crowded parking doesn't necessarily make for crowded slopes. People like to take a few runs and then sit in the bar, I guess.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I am really glad I skipped work today. Meadows got the upper mountain open for the first time in the last couple days, which meant there was a 12-18" of fresh sitting up there. I had a really nice line on Elevator, and then again lucked into another rope drop at the Twilight gate into Heather's. Heather's was only open Moon down yesterday, so everything above was wonderful, bottomless blower pow. My first lap was completely untouched and was easily the run of the season. Heather's can be so wonderful when it isn't wind-affected.

It was super cold up there. 3F at the top of Mt. Hood Express when I left in the afternoon. The snow quality was impeccable.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 27, 2019

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

highme posted:

Ugh ...

I just sat at work doing nothing until the last 45 minutes of the day. Not that it matters, the alternator went out on my wife's car so that means I had to give up my truck and ride the bus to work.

There will be more good days to come! And pow days haven't been as crowded lately, I've noticed. With as crazy as February has been up there, people don't seem to be as hungry for it.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Willamette pass is gonna be epic whenever hwy 58 reopens

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Speaking of snowboard reviews, now that I've had a few proper pow days on the Burton Bottom Feeder, I can give it a big thumbs up. The float on pow is effortless; I rode with my weight back a little bit but not to the point where I was burning out my legs to lift the nose out of the snow. I didn't find myself thinking about my weight distribution at all, really. It's also a lot of fun on groomers. I can lay it down no problem since it's wide enough that I don't need to worry about toe or heel drag unless I'm pressing really hard on really soft groom. It has a flat profile up to the nose, and then a bit of rocker, but not a crazy amount. It's short enough to make really quick turns both in the trees and carving the groom.

I never thought I'd be using a 150cm board for a daily driver (I'm 6 foot and a fat 225 pounds at the moment), but this thing is so much fun for the riding I like to do.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 27, 2019

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Is there any reason not to use this wax on my snowboard: https://www.amazon.com/Demon-Hyper-Universal-blend-temp/dp/B00HDNGXAS/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=snowboard+wax&qid=1551410771&s=gateway&sr=8-5 ?

I don't usually bother with temp specific wax; most days up here in the PNW are in the mid-20s to low-30s. Occasionally we'll get days that are much colder, and I do ride a fair bit in the spring. I will probably get some warm wax this year to try out, too.

I'm not a wax connoisseur or anything. I mainly just want to keep my base decently fast.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Thanks for the responses. I went ahead and ordered the stuff I linked to. I also got a little bit of warm wax to try out this spring. I'm not a wax Nazi. I generally ride 20 days a year and put one coat on at the start of the season and once more mid season. I mainly notice it's benefits on flats and long run outs.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Three people have died in tree wells in Oregon in the last two weeks. One at Timberline, one at Mt. Ashland, and the other on Mt. Bachelor. All of them were skiing with friends.

Please be careful out there, everyone. And the buddy system doesn't work unless you actually keep an eye on each other, which means stopping and regrouping often.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I just wear a Patagonia fleece and a long sleeve polyester running shirt underneath for Spring riding. It isn't water proof but I that isn't an issue on the types of days that I wear it.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best option is clearly gunning the accelerator as soon as you can't see anything past the hood of your car.

Haha, loving classic. If I were him, I'd roll with it and insist I was getting a necessary medical treatment. He has that "caught loving the neighbor's cat" look on his face.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I was unaware this was a standardized look. :tmyk:

You haven't lived, friend.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Yes, putting chains on a Subaru is a good way to grenade your center diff and transmission. You should buy snow tires instead. You can get away with low profile chains on the front for very short distances at very slow speeds over low traction conditions, but anything else will eat up the center diff, and oftentimes take the transmission with it.

If you do have a 4WD vehicle and one pair of chains, your best bet is to put them on your front tires. Putting them front and rear is probably overkill, but read your area's vehicle code.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 7, 2019

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Spime Wrangler posted:

do you have any more info on this? seems like chains/cables on the front only would be a way worse decision.

Yes, this would cause a large asymmetry between the front and rear, which is why you wouldn't want to do it outside of certain conditions for a very short time, at low speeds. I think the general idea is that you would only put them on in very slick conditions, and the rear tires would spin, rather than fully engaging, which would take the stress off the drive train. Much like driving around with a spare tire on, you wouldn't want to do this for long distances. This would very much be an emergency only thing.

Putting chains or cables on the front and rear would also be asymmetrical, since no two chains will be installed the same, and since they are designed to have a bit of give to them. So driving around with four chains on could also damage your drive train, all while having the illusion of providing symmetrical traction. Remember that a small bit of tread wear difference on tires can gently caress up your transmission. Now think of the give your average chain install has.

TBH I would never put chains on a subi in either configuration. I've been driving my WRX to the mountain for 6 years now, and I've never come close to finding myself in a sketchy situation with just stud-less snow tires, and I've never once wished that I was able to put chains on.

It's worth pointing out that the vast majority, if not all new Subarus, have an entry in their owners manuals telling you not to install chains because there isn't enough clearance for them. Even if you can get them on, they can hit your struts or brake components and damage them. The only thing I would ever consider putting on them would be a super low clearance cable, which would be in emergencies only. But you shouldn't ever be getting stuck with snow tires and a Subaru. You'd run out of ground clearance before you ran out of traction.

As an aside, a friend of mine once drove back from the mountain all 60 miles on his Legacy with a donut on the rear and chains on the front. A week later, his transmission failed.

Fifty Three posted:

The Corolla is FWD (as of like 1983), am I misunderstanding something here? Or do you mean they had winter tires up front and chains in the back or something?

Yeah, unless they had the initial D car you'd want them on the front; putting them on the rear would do jack poo poo. As an aside, I have seen multiple people installing chains on the rear of FWD cars driving up to the mountain, and it is hilarious and frightening.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Mar 7, 2019

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

FWD - chains on front
RWD - chains on back
4WD - chains on front
Subaru - no chains

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

NZ also doesn't require you to have car insurance, which would help inform their enforcement on chain usage

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Tweak posted:

Are autosocks supposed to be the chains alternative for subarus? I've thought about buying some to appease the park rangers at Mt Rainier who apparently recommended them when turning away my sister from the road to paradise

The lower profile the device is, the better. But like I said, you really want to avoid using them unless it's an emergency situation.

Moey posted:

Extra head gasket and timing belt.

Have you thought about getting a sticker of Calvin pissing on the logo?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Moey posted:

After living in the mountains and seeing them (along with every other type of vehicle) stuck in snowbanks, I don't think any vehicle is invincible. 4/AWD and good snow tires is your best bet.

For some reason the Subaru drivers like to tell everyone they are God's gift to snow covered roads.

Yes, I agree. Good tires and good driving are by far the two most important things. I used to drive my Accord up the mountain. It had snow tires on and it did fine. My WRX does better, though :haw: If the snow wasn't packed down / if I was trying to start from a stop on a hill with the Accord, things got dicey. I don't have to worry about that anymore.

People tend not to realize that while 4WD / AWD help you move, but they sure as hell don't help you stop. That's where the tires come in.

But I was originally responding to your joke about them being unreliable, which I don't really agree with, but that's a dumb thing to argue about in the skiing thread of all places.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Mar 8, 2019

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Meadows was very nice yesterday. Upper heather got open after being closed for a couple days while a cold storm rolled through. I went up to the Silver Bowl gate with my girlfriend and found some very nice untracked lines between the Silver and Gold gates. My girlfriend had never had an untracked line that pristine before, so it was a real treat for both of us. PR was also quite nice. The last month has been nuts. It's not unusual to get a lot of precip up there, but the storms have regularly been 10-20F colder than they usually are.

I still haven't made it over to Clark Canyon / Accordion this year. The last time I tried the traverse it was pretty brutal for a snowboarder, but quite a bit of snow has accumulated since then, so I need to give it another shot. Accordion is one of my favorite spots on the mountain.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 11, 2019

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

highme posted:

I took this weekend off since I'll be up Tuesday-Saturday for our state finals. This stretch of weather has been insane. Our spring is going to be so loving fun. The weather looks like it's going to be perfect for us too, and goddamn do we deserve that. Snow for our practice day on Tuesday, then it clears up and gets sunny through the weekend midday Wednesday.

Saturday was definitely better than I was had been expecting all week given the forecast. It was a nice surprise.

Weds is supposed to be another powder day, according to Temira. So hopefully she's right, and hopefully you can get some turns in before you have to work.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Alternatively, just stay for two extra days

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I bought a super directional board and have pretty much given up on switch altogether. I'm not ambidextrous at all, and riding switch in any situation other than a quick, straight traversal has always felt alien me. It basically feels like I've never been on a snowboard before when I try to initiate turns while riding switch, and I put my weight on the wrong foot. I just can't make my brain and body connect in the right way.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 12, 2019

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Varg posted:

I can carve decently and cruise pretty quickly going switch after years of forcing myself, but as soon as I hit a bumpy area I usually just revert back cause it's still awkward as hell

I would love to be able to lay a proper carve while riding switch, but unless I take a season and force myself to relearn, it isn't going to happen, and I don't like the idea of spending a bunch of time as a beginner again. I only get so much time at the mountain, you know?

When I first started skateboarding and snowboarding I went through a period where I thought I might have been goofy, and before I really figured out how to ride I switched back and forth a bit. One day on the mountain, something just clicked in my brain and goofy just felt completely wrong to me.

I mainly got a directional board because of the type of riding I like to do, but the fact that I never ride switch made the decision a little easier.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Moot . posted:

This. Down with the shorty swallowtails.

They are so very fun to ride, though. The float on my Bottom Feeder I bought this year is unreal. It's like skimming across butter.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

TMMadman posted:

No, it was just a regular milkshake from McDonalds.

But I was ordered it eat it by my dentist after I got bone grafts today on my upper jaw so I can get an implant supported denture later.

Sweet, I have 9 dental implants and the last two needed upper bone grafts. The best part was that after the surgeries, I could occasionally get what felt like phlegm out of my sinuses (I'm sure your doctor told you not to create vacuums and large pressure changes while you're healing), but when I spit it out it was actually coagulated blood and ground up pieces of bone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

I'm unfamiliar with the Tunnel of Love--is that the little gully between Chunky Swirly and Ridge Run?