Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Yuns posted:

Course 7 and humanities focus on poly sci (Defense and Arms Control Studies) also started minor in 4 too but said gently caress it. if you were at MIT, I assume you were Course 7 too. One of my favorite classes was Genetics and Molecular Medicine at HST

I was 20, and ended up minoring in Poli sci/17 (most useless decision ever).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Yuns posted:

I was football and pistol
I actually enjoyed 17/DACS. I took a bunch of military related stuff like Innovation in Organizations etc.

Out of all the places to meet MIT alum, I didn't realize it would be the SA skiing/snowboard thread.

Funny enough, that's also why I ended up minoring in 17. It also made me realize what classes all of the ROTC/course 16 kids took before going to work for Boeing/etc.

And yeah, it's kind of funny that this thread seems to have the highest concentration of us.

spwrozek posted:

Alright. you all smarts and stuff. Ha.

E: my girlfriend went to tufts for dental school and she is always sad that Denver doesn't have all the smart people that Boston has with all the Uni's there (especially MIT)

I'm curious to hear more about this, as my wife and I may be thinking about a move to Denver as soon as this year. I've spent most of my life in the north east (except for a few years in Wisconsin). My wife has a ton of friends in Denver while I don't. Denver has the major plus of being close to some awesome skiing, but I also feel like the city itself is so...meh. To me, it feels like if you took a strip mall, blew it up over hundreds of square miles, and then decided to put 3x the number of people in it that were meant to live there. And you have to take back roads to get anywhere. And they have traffic on them. So you're stuck in traffic looking at an Olive Garden.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jan 11, 2021

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Jesus christ guys can you stop talking about femur fractures? :stare:

Hopefully it snows some in Vail/Crested Butte before February/March.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Oh man I am so psyched for Vail in two weeks.

Which means it’s not gonna snow again until March.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Sofa king pumped for a few days at Vail!

Where I caught COVID almost exactly 1 year ago.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

spwrozek posted:

It doesn't pick up your pass always and the new app is hot garbage.

Why did they get rid of the old app? Just realized this new one is trash. They even got rid of the badges for some reason.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Vail Trip report: Success!

Trip in was slightly eventful: ended up originally scheduled to fly through DFW, but obviously that didn't work. My wife and I ended up split up via Phoenix/LA, and ended up getting in to Denver at 10pm on Tuesday, right in to the middle of a snow storm. Picked up our skis/rental car, and white knuckled it to Vail. Just a few miles outside of Denver, we ended up going up the hill and came upon a line of cars stuck in the middle of the road, unable to make it up. We stopped, then a Fedex truck came barreling up the hill on the shoulder trying to get up around, and also ended up stuck. lol. Plows ended up coming through and we made it up and to Vail by 230am.

Ended up skiing Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. Thursday/Friday had some very decent snow and minimal lines, and we mainly stuck the back bowls and Blue Sky. Saturday was definitely busy, with the most :psyduck: moment being when they put up a sign at the bottom of Orient Express that said Tea Cup was super busy, and to not ski down, which led to a 30 minute wait at Orient Express to go back up. The next time down we ignored the sign, skied down to Tea Cup, and essentially skied on to the lift.

Best part of the trip was finally figuring out that Blue Sky is one of my favorite areas of the mountain. I'd never previously seen what the big deal about it was, but on Friday we skied with a friend who lives in Denver and knows Vail super well. I think the Champagne Glades may be one of my new favorite runs.

Crested Butte in a few weeks!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Moogs posted:

As a non-prolific-poster, I appreciate the callout... even after reading it my brain was still confused before I understood what was happening.

Much like an earlier poster, I'm going to be heading to Crested Butte in the near future. Last time I was there I was with my wife who wasn't up for the double blacks and I didn't think it was a good idea to venture up the t-bar alone. This time I'll be with my cousin (who is much better than me) and I'd like to check it out. I was warned about which run has mandatory cliffs, but of course I don't remember which one that is. Any go / no go ideas on the double blacks at CB?

Wanna ski together and our wives can hang?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Anyone have thoughts on the Arcteryx Sabre LT bibs? They're on sale right now and we have some credit/coupons, but the reviews seem kind of mixed. Has arcteryx stuff gone downhilll (:v:)?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
What's the right timing of ski tuning/waxing? I usually do a full edge/wax at the beginning of the season and then do a machine wax or two again before subsequent trips. Am I doing it wrong? Should i doing more myself each day?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
jesus christ. We're flying in to Gunnison next Thursday and driving to Crested Butte. Should I be worried? How's that drive?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 10, 2021

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Eejit posted:

It's not going to be nearly as bad in the mountains. Also the drive is quite easy (and scenic!)

Sounds great. A few weeks back I rented a Camry and ended up stuck behind a bunch of cars right around Red Rock that couldn't get up on the way to Vail. I told myself I would get something with 4WD next time.

I rented another Camry. :v:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

spwrozek posted:

Who is excited for EPIC changing EVERYTHING! March 23rd, mark your calendars lol.

IKON not wait to ski at Copper/Steamboat next year!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Any tips for crested butte? Going this week, skiing Thursday-Sunday. :toot:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Partial Octopus posted:

CO goons, what are you thoughts on passes for next year? I went with Epic this year but I'm considering going with Ikon next year just to try out more mountains. Considering that Ikon really only offers Winter Park and Copper in the front range compared to Epic's Vail, Beaver, Keystone, and Winter Park, do the Ikon mountains get bigger crowds?

We've done Epic this year and the last two. Now that we're going to be living in Colorado, traveling for a few days in the middle of the week will be easier, and we won't have to factor in traveling to Denver, I think we're going to go with Ikon next year and go for the full pass. That way, we'll also get some days in at Steamboat and try to ski Aspen for the first time. Does that make sense?

edit: Ended up getting to Crested Butte at 130pm today so got some runs in. :toot:

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 19, 2021

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Holy poo poo crested butte is awesome. Wife and I took a lesson today and the instructor took us over to the north face. Awesome snow, awesome conditions. A+.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
A technique question for you guys: when I'm carving a turn, I'm finding that most of my weight is on the inside edge of my outside ski. For example: if I'm turning to the right, most of my weight is on the inside edge of my left ski. The outside ski also drifts behind my inside ski, and the inside ski is kind of "loose." Is that bad? Are there any drills to fix that?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I'm a primary snowboarder but I taught skiing for a while.

When I ski, the same thing happens on groomed runs. My weight ends up on the outside ski's inside edge during a carve and the inside ski goes light and just sorta follows along. The modern ski with decent sidecut basically causes this to happen. It's fine, but when you get to the higher levels of ski technique you're supposed to concentrate on having relatively equal force on both your skis, because when you go off-piste and especially in deep powder you want to have pretty equal weighting on both your skis. It's something you definitely have to focus on and it kinda comes and goes. You'll get better at it with practice.

That said, when I am ripping carves down a groomed run, I still have most of my turn being accomplished by the downhill ski. The nice thing is when you lose that downhill ski's edge (say you hit a patch of ice), that uphill ski is there to pick up the slack in the turn, so in that way it's still providing you support but basically just as a backup.

I'm sure a longtime skier can give you more tips, but yeah what you're talking about is something that boils down to advanced technique. The great thing about skiing and snowboarding is that they are lifetime sports, so you can always work on your technique and get just that little bit better!

knox_harrington posted:

RE it sounds like you might have a bit of an A-frame going on? Like this on the left:

Essentially this happens because your outside ski is too close to your center line and it limits how much force you can exert in a carving turn. By increasing the abduction angle at your hip, and keeping your body perpendicular to the slope, your outside ski will naturally be further out and you can put more pressure through your inside edge.

Additionally by consciously pointing your inside knee further into the turn you will immediately get a load more grip as the edge will bite.

Apols if I've misunderstood the issue.

I finally got the bindings mounted on the skimo race skis and skins I bought for last year's Patrouille des Glaciers that was cancelled. They are ludicrously light and I was roughly twice as fast uphill as on my big skis.

Hugely compromised downhill still, but pretty stable compared with other lightweight setups I've tried. They match the lightweight boots as well so neither is too beefy. Ski + binding is 980g and boot is 830g.

Thanks guys. I'm sure part of this is due to the fact that I learned to ski in the early/mid 90s on straight skis, when carving turns weren't really a thing, and only really got back in to skiing consistently about 10 years ago or so. I guess I may be having issues A-framing, but I don't have videos of myself skiing so I'm not sure. Are there any drills to help out with that?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I was gonna suggest one legged skiing, but didn't want to because there's definitely the possibility of hurting yourself and moreover, I'm still fundamentally a snowboarder.

BTW one of my absolute favorite things about skiing is ripping an empty groomer with HUGE carves executed solely with ankle movements and absolutely no skidding, leaving just two parallel tracks in the snow. Feels like I'm a drat figther jet or something.

I've been doing one legged skiing, so maybe I should continue, but I'm not sure it's helping me get equal weight on both skis.

spwrozek posted:

Vail delayed they announcement on the passes for next season due to the shooting here in Boulder yesterday.

BUT there are a bunch of now taken down articles with the headlines of pass prices being reduced by 20%. So about $780 for full epic, maybe $550 for epic local.

Ooof, this is tempting versus spending the money on two ikon passes, although I bet they'll be even more swarmed. My two trips to Vail/crested Butte this year seemed just as packed as usual, especially since half of Texas was in Crested Butte on spring break last week.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Does anyone know how ski instructing works in the Epic resorts? A few years back, I discovered that if you sign up for group lessons and actually know how to ski, there's a very good chance that you may be one of the few in the "advanced" group and you end up getting a private ski lesson for a group lesson price. Last week, my wife and I both signed up for a group lesson at Crested Butte, which was running a deal for an all day lesson for $100. We ended up getting a ski instructor working with just the two of us and showing us around the North Face (double black terrain with lots of tight trees/mandatory cliffs in spots that we were unfamiliar with). The guy was awesome and we got his number, but is our only option to get him again to pay Epic...$800 for a private lesson? $1200 at Vail? Is that the way this works?

Are there cheaper ways of getting ski instruction?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

spwrozek posted:

I was pretty close on my guesses. $783 for Full Epic, $583 for Local, Heck a 4 pack is only $323. Honestly that is all a pretty screaming deal.

This means:

1. They didn't sell very many Epic passes this year.
2. Between the price and the removal of the reservation system (which still seemed to keep things busy on the hill), Epic resorts are going to get absolutely mobbed next year.

Right?

edit: lol wrong on #1

quote:

Season pass sales through September 18, 2020 for the upcoming 2020/2021 North American ski season increased approximately 18% in units and decreased approximately 4% in sales dollars as compared to the period in the prior year through September 20, 2019, with sales dollars for this year reduced by the value of the redeemed credits provided to 2019/2020 North American pass holders. Without deducting for the value of the redeemed credits, sales dollars increased approximately 24% compared to the prior year.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Mar 24, 2021

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Krataar posted:

Beginning my journey of learning to snowboard today at Park city. I'll try to drop some good pictures of my disasters.

I didn't know vail sucked when I booked.

Vail the Company != Vail owned resorts. Vail (the company) does annoying things, but they definitely own some great resorts. Park City is great.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
So looks like Ikon isn't doing anything to respond to Epic, right?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
So what are the chances that A-Basin stays open until I get to Denver in late June? Does anywhere else stay open that long?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
1 week left to buy an Ikon pass at the "discounted" price. :suicide:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Residency Evil posted:

1 week left to buy an Ikon pass at the "discounted" price. :suicide:

Epic is monitoring my posting:

quote:

Epic Pass prices are reduced 20%. So, what are you waiting for?​​

:ohdear:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Looking at the Ikon pass options, would I really miss out by saving $120 bucks and getting the "Ikon Base Plus" pass instead of the full Ikon pass? Looks like the full pass would get me no blackout dates along with unlimited access to Steamboat (versus 5 days) and 7 days at Aspen (instead of 5 days). First time living in Denver so I'm not sure how annoying it is going to places regularly.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

spwrozek posted:

If you are day tripping you will only be skiing copper or winter park. all the rest of the ikon is overnight. So how much you want to travel is the question?

Yeah this was my wife’s point too. Doing a weekend or two at steamboat and a weekend or two in aspen, on top of winter park/copper seems pretty good, but maybe we’re going to want to do way more?

asur posted:

Blackouts are a big deal if you get the holidays off and want to go those weekends.

This too. Not sure how many locals try to specifically avoid those weekends if it gets packed.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Bought my Ikon pass, although held off on my wife's pass when we found out pass insurance doesn't cover "normal, uncomplicated pregnancy," and she wants to get pregnant.

Maybe we can save money and only buy 1 pass this year! :v:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Master_Odin posted:

Having moved right on a ski mountain and being done with grad school, happy to live the ski bum lifestyle and hit 101 days on resort and 4 in the backcountry, though the overwhelming majority in VT. Now to rest the knees and prepare for next year.

Getting the ikon pass for next year and I was wondering if there were mountains on it that had an extremely canadian / steeps clinic. I'm able to ski most stuff, but having not done anything out west in a while, being terrified of heights, and not knowing the mountains, it would be awesome to be able to book something to help in those regards.

Super interested in this as well. I posted above how we got some great instruction at crested butte this winter: all day lesson for like $140. My wife and I were paired with an instructor who took us ride some ungroomed/unmarked double black terrain which we probably wouldn’t have felt comfortable exploring by ourselves. We also got ikon passes this year.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Eejit posted:

Really good coverage. Bloody Mary's are also still very much on point and the brisket/waffle fries combo never disappoints.

When we were up on Saturday, the cloud cover prevented things from properly slushing up until after noon, but it was still fun. Definitely worth going up.

I'll be there in 1 month. :ohdear:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I have a pair of boots that I like, but I'm not sure I'm thrilled with, comfort wise. Now that I live in Denver, and plan on skiing more days/year, does it make sense to go to a boot fitter now, or should I wait until we're a bit in to the season?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

spwrozek posted:

Go now. You can't really test out boots. good fitters will adjust the boots for you as long as you have them. They will have more selection this time of year as well. Probably call though and see if they have got stock yet as who knows if the supply chain is still all messed up.

Cool, going now.

I made an appointment at this place: https://www.bootmechanics.com/bookings-checkout/new-boot-fitting?referral=service_list_widget

How important is getting "custom footbeds" as well as boots?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

spwrozek posted:

Boot Mech is a good one to go to. I do not recommend the custom foot beds unless you know that stock foot beds cause you issues. You can always add them later once you ride in the boots and break them in.

Awesome, that's super helpful. Anywhere else you'd go instead? I know Boot Mechanic has been recommended before.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
My boots are about 7 years old and constantly feel like they're trying to kill my feet. It's probably not worth bringing them to the boot fitters to see if they can make them better, right?

edit: I got the Ikon pass this year and I have a friend coming from out of town to ski (of course) Vail and BC the weekend of (of course) President's day. Is buying a 3/4 day Epic pass the cheapest option for me to ski? Buddy tickets/SWAF tickets aren't any cheaper, right?

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Aug 26, 2021

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

spwrozek posted:

Nah, go there. I got my last boots at Larry's but honestly not that impressed with them. He just hires a bunch of kids and the experienced people only work on your boots if you come back with issues.

Went to boot mechanic and had a great experience. Was asking them if I should go for a size size even smaller, but they steered me towards some Salomon s pro 130s in a 26/26.5 (I measure at about a 27). Can’t wait to try them out this season.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I am so ready to try out these new boots. :getin:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I have a pair of Volkl Mantras from 2016/2017 as my only pair of skis. I should probably ski on these for at least another season before getting something new right? How do most people split their ski duties between multiple pairs, if they're primarily skiing at resorts?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

HookShot posted:

Snow conditions and what I feel like skiing. Huge powder day? Break out the Santa Anas. Hard snow, mid-week with few people around? GS skis. Feeling like doing a little bit of everything, maybe some bumps? Slalom skis.

Whether or not you get another pair now to me would depend on a couple factors: are you happy with your one-ski quiver and want to keep going with that? If yes, then you can buy a new pair whenever. It depends on your wallet, too. If you have the money and you want a new pair go for it.

If you're thinking that there's one thing you never seem to quite ski right with the Mantras though, be it powder, or hard snow, or the park, or whatever, maybe consider getting a second pair this year that's better suited to what you feel the Mantras are letting you down on.

I think someone posted a link to Blister reviews which suggested some 2 ski combos. Are they usually pretty on the mark? I think what I'd be looking for is something that's a bit more playful/bump/tree appropriate, and then add a new all-mountainy pair that I can use for groomers/front side stuff. It's tough for me to drop everything to ski a powder day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I literally just got back from Telluride for a wedding. What a gorgeous and incredible place.

But Jesus Christ who do those homes belong to, and how the hell do people get there? There aren’t that many private jets.