Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

spwrozek posted:

^pretty much 2020 is indeed weird as poo poo

We weren't skiing on anything that could slide. The slope we dug a pit was just for a lark mostly. it is 30 degrees, concave supported, and like 100' in length. it is just a nice little spot to see what is going on. The snowpack is such garbage that we don't want to be on, near, or below anything over 30 degrees. We hardly dig pits in all honesty as I don't find them that helpful. Conditions are usually bad in Colorado soooo we just stay away from steep stuff.

I heard Bruce Tremper talk recently and he said there’s recent Swiss research showing the concave/convex thing (which he put in his books for years) is basically bunk and slope angle is all that matters. If anything concavities just mean a place for debris to build up was his take. I don’t have enough experience to doubt your own read of your terrain, but that was definitely interesting for me to hear after having the dangers of convexities emphasized so often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I wish I could find the research paper he was referencing. The first of your points I think is a given but it seemed like it was the second one he was disputing. But without the paper or a better recall of what he said I’ll leave it there, don’t want to mischaracterize his point or inadvertently introduce any bad info here.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

spwrozek posted:

If you find it post it up. Very interested.

To the specific location really no danger at all. mostly the roll is a good spot to test for similar slopes as it is super tiny.

Emailed Tremper and got the paper. It’s from 2013, older than I thought. They analyzed slope angle, curvature and roughness of 142 human-triggered avalanche starting zones. What Tremper was pointing out in the talk I heard is basically captured in Fig. 5, which shows many more avalanches occurring from flat or concave starting points than convex. But, as the authors point out, these are data from human-triggered avalanches, so this might be colored by where people are going.

https://arc.lib.montana.edu/snow-science/objects/ISSW13_paper_O5-05.pdf

And then finally, which goes to your point and others’, Tremper in his email wrote:

quote:

Yes, slope shape is very important for other reasons, such as consequences, how to travel in that terrain and the predictability of where the crown fracture of the slab will occur.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

spwrozek posted:

Awesome. Thank dude.

I feel like most avalanche stuff, I don't really know anything and avoidance is the best course of action.

Very much me too.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Has anyone here tried the DPS permanent wax? Or waxless treatment I guess. Reviews seem fine for average use and I can see the benefits, but I’ve been feeling stuck in my ways

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

bawfuls posted:

I will probably consider the DPS thing the next time I get new skis but it's harder to justify on something half way through it's lifespan already

That was part of my calculus this season too.

Good to know it’s decent. Next pair then.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

gently caress Vail, Marry El Niño, Kill Your Base (sorry if the joke has been done, I’m new.)

White Mountains report: 6-8 inches heavy powder on a base of wet grass, rocks and sticks. Snowed last night on mostly bare ground so I went out for a few laps pretty much out of desperation. First time out this season. Turns were fun if heavy, and the cover was mostly adequate, but I did get a couple gouges under one foot stopping hard for some snowshoers. I was eying new skis anyway, and these ones are pretty perfect to be relegated to rock ski duty.

e: I tried to post a picture but I cannot figure out awful app tonight

ought ten fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 3, 2021

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

I’m idiotically obsessed with spending as little as possible on the skis themselves, gear, whatever, but the one thing I’m happy to pay for is boots, at a brick and mortar with a proper fitting. Warm, comfortable boots really make a massive difference in my ability to enjoy skiing and feel like I’m good at it.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Snowboarder dead near Park City in an avalanche on Friday. Sounds like he left from the resort.

UT Avalanche Center posted:

Details are limited, and we will continue to update as we learn more. A 31-year-old male snowboarder from Clinton, Utah was killed in an avalanche in Dutch Draw off of Silver Peak. This is located on the Park City Ridgeline and was likely accessed by riding the 9990' chairlift and accessing the area via the backcountry exit gate. He was not carrying any avalanche rescue gear. The rider’s girlfriend reported the rider had tried to snowboard down the steep backcountry terrain when the avalanche began and caught him.

Preliminary report is gnarly, it took them a while to find his body and get it out, but click the IG link and check out what he was on top of. Yikes.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CJ2BjJDhckM/?igshid=1wh3p1g86vzoj

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Eejit posted:

Those basal facets are also literally everywhere in CO as well. They are very crunchy if you eat them

That sucks. I mean I guess I’d take it over zero snow in the east but that can’t be fun knowing it’s down there.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

You basically need to hit terminal velocity to have any hope of making it back to the lodge from the bottom of those trails haha. Good for you for surviving.

When the snow is good those trails are amazing but steep ice definitely predominates in my experience.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Yuns posted:

I just need to vent. My kids were invited on a ski trip out of state. We came up with a plan to comply with that states quarantine and our own states quarantine. When we told the other family that we would be coming but also complying with quarantine, we were disinvited. These aren't random idiots; these are educated NYers.

Which Vermont resort were you headed to?

https://twitter.com/outofpodcast/status/1350456260668362755?s=21

Seriously that sucks though. Good for you for trying to keep people safe.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Suicide Watch posted:

This was the Silver Peak/Billy's Peak area near the Bradley Hut (which was closed)

We brought a tent so we could set up camp in the forest, then I had my stove and sleeping bag/pad. Maybe it was closer to 20-25lbs, but having that weight not be fully tightened/strapped down on my back really messed with my skiing

continuation of the MIT-skiers chat

My first ski tour was to Peter Grubb Hut. Caught the AT bug hard after that. Fortunately did not catch hantavirus.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Anyone have strong feelings for or against cutting new skins for new skis? The skins I cut for my old pair fit decently on the new ones. The gap to the edge is 1-2 mm wider than I’d like, especially underfoot, but I can’t imagine it’s going to make a huge amount of difference especially with the mellow touring I do right now. Am I going to regret this? Test driving the set up tomorrow so maybe I’ll answer my own question.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I'm taking at least half the day off work tomorrow. My replacement phone with a better camera AND A SKI LANYARD to keep it fastened even when "safe in my pocket" is also on its way.

4 Year Old's Ski Lesson Update: After watching a bunch of parents on the mountain, and at the base area, with kids of various sizes, I decided that before I take kiddo to Mad River I want them very comfortable holding on to my ski pole and being pulled.

This is so cool. MRG was the first place I ever skied. Can’t really say I learned to ski there, we left VT before I was 4. But my parents would carry me up the little slope by the lodge near the base of the race hill and I’d slide down between their legs. I did spend a lot of time in the cricket club. Does that still exist?

Enjoy tomorrow.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Partial Octopus posted:

Yeah don't be an idiot like me and try to ski down a sidehill slope with your edges covered.

Look, if you’re not falling you’re not pushing yourself.

Thanks both. Might need a little trim near the front but I think I should be good to go

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Cabbages and Kings posted:

It does! I didn't really look into it this year because of COVID concerns but it's on my list of potentially useful things for the next few years (we have another kiddo on the way soon).

Plenty of powder in the woods today. Also some rocks, ice, etc; I have a strained hip and the usual assortment of bumps and bruises, but I expect to be good to go again by next Tues. VERY FOGGY AND MYSTERIOUS TODAY WOW

Nice. Foggy over here in Maine today too. No pictures but conditions sound about the same. First day on new skis so after one scrape-y scratchy run in the trees I stuck to man made snow. One more good storm would put us in good shape I think. I heard sugarbush just got a ton of snow though?

Found out when I got there there was a tele demo day going on. I’d had my fill of the few runs that were open so I tried that out for the first time. I was surprised I could make it down the hill on them okay, but it was very obvious how far off even bare proficiency was.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Yuns posted:

I know it's nothing like what others are getting but it looks like we might get 15"-19" in this northeastern storm.

I’m already taking tomorrow morning off to ski, trying to figure if I can swing Wednesday too

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

spwrozek posted:

Today was a good one. My girlfriend refusing not not take videos unless they are tallwise. Even when I ask. It is a mystery.... enjoy these odd videos.

Those are some beautiful looking turns.

Is it too sketchy for the stuff above you? I figure yes based on what you’ve said but man that looks tempting.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Yikes, sounds like a few people might be dead in an avalanche in SW Colorado.

CO Avalanche Center posted:

Preliminary Report: On February 1, 2021, a group of backcountry skiers triggered a large avalanche between the towns of Silverton and Ophir. They were traveling in an area locally known as The Nose. Four people were caught, carried, and fully buried in the debris. The group recovered one person with minor injuries. The other three people are still missing. Search and rescue operations lasted into the night and will continue the morning of February 2. The avalanche released on a northeast-facing slope around 11,500 feet in elevation (near treeline).

https://avalanche.state.co.us/caic/acc/acc_report.php?accfm=rep&acc_id=770&view=public

Eejit posted:

Eat at Pho Bay or Pho 20. Pazzo's is also ok. Both Edwards and Minturn have good food, too. I'm especially a fan of Kirby Cosmo's in Minturn if you like BBQ. If that beer hall place in Edwards has survived 2020 I'd hang out there for sure. Also the tacos at Vail Brewing Co are legit, although slightly gringo.

Don't bother going over to Arrowhead, do bother farting around on anything else that's open. I'm with spwrozek, the beav is a delight

This is the skiing beta people really need

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Moot .1415926535 posted:

yeah one of those “gently caress what were they thinking...hope it’s nobody I knew” moments

That spot is like one of the most skied aspects by people who stay at opus hut so I’m guessing that had a lot to do with it

I’m not passing any judgement before seeing the full accident report (and even then like who the hell am I?), but it does strike me that in any risky situation, making safe decisions gets more difficult when you’re in a large group. Photos make it seem like there were maybe seven or so skiers total.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

This is a bloodbath

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

spwrozek posted:

I mean they are basically rolling in blind to 50-70' jumps in deep rear end powder.

Oh absolutely. It only speaks to the difficulty of the course and conditions that these riders are wiping out. I did not intend to imply anything about their skill

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Yuns posted:

Friends of CAIC had an update on the recovery operation for the 3 buried skiers at Ophir Pass. They have the bodies out after digging them out of 20+ feet of avalanche debris. They all had beacons but buried so deep it would have been incredibly challenging to get them out in time considering that probe can be 2.4m to 3m combined with shoveling out 20 feet of snow.

That’s awful.

Just adding to how dangerous terrain traps can be, solo skier died TuesdayMonday on Mt. Washington. They dug him out of 13 feet of snow.

e: and that was before the storm, avalanche danger was rated low

ought ten fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 4, 2021

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

The deaths season are making me seriously rethink my interest and objectives in the backcountry. Glad I’m taking my level 1 soon but I think I’m going to dial down my expectations for progressing into more consequential terrain.

I did get a nice peak at some of that terrain on Sunday morning.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

You did a good job putting it into words. I’m not planning to stop skiing in the backcountry. But a steady diet of Instagram and YouTube make it easy to picture yourself up in one of the chutes in Tuckerman ravine or sniffing out some secret rad stashes. Seeing experienced skiers get caught and killed has me thinking about how long it will take me to build up the experience and knowledge that will let me do those things with a big margin of safety. Sticking to low angle, low consequence terrain while I develop. And there probably is some skiing that’s just out of the question for me, maybe ever, in terms of my risk tolerance.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Where’s that hat from?

Custom hats for a wedding. Hence the hat being front and center and the mountains blurry. I think the unicorn was stock art from the website? So either we're friends IRL or it's been used elsewhere. Or it just looks like a lot of web comics.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Natural Selection final happening at 11:30 ET: https://redbull.com/us-en/events/natural-selection-tour

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

casque posted:

Sorry bro, you haven't actually had fun.

It’s the unspoken curse of skiing. No one has ever had a fun day. It’s always too cold/hot/icy/slushy/scary/mellow. Everyday sucks. But the next day, that one will finally be fun.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

OSU_Matthew posted:

Stupid newbie looking for gear advice here

I’ve got sasquatch feet and I’m not optimistic I’d find rentals available in my size, so I’m thinking it probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to pick up some boots if (not the whole kit).

I’m looking at skiing over snowboarding, and this is something where I’ve got several friends that regularly do this so I don’t mind investing some money to get a good beginner set.

Is this something I’d be better off going to the local ski shop and getting fitted up and buying everything I need to get started over there versus guessing sizing and buying stuff online?

From what I’ve been reading, looks like boots and bindings aren’t universally compatible, so if I’m in it for the boots, I might as well pick up the whole kit so I don’t run into incompatible rental issues, right?

I’ve already got an insulated ski helmet I bought for cycling in the winter, and decent goggles. I’ve got insulated snow bibs and good base/mid layer clothes and gloves, I think I just need a good outer shell. Been looking at stuff on Evo and The-House.com and I’m hoping I can get away with something not horribly expensive. If anyone has any decent and affordable outer shell recommendations, I’d definitely appreciate it!

Just trying to get some general advice to get oriented in the right direction :)

If your feet are too big for rental boots then you might not be able to find rental skis with bindings big enough for you, so you’re probably on the right track getting the whole kit and kaboodle. But you should check first because this poo poo’s expensive and I’d guess renting is worth it if you’re just doing it a few times a year or seeing if you like it.

In terms of boot and binding compatibility, that wasn’t really an issue until recently with the rise of gripwalk soles (and AT soles). AFAIK most bindings made in the last few years are made to work with gripwalk soles and traditional alpine soles.

If you really have monster feet you might think about going to a ski shop and getting a proper fitting. They might also have some used boots, skis, bindings if they have a rental or buyback program. Used boots can usually be molded again for your feet. And a shop can recommend ski length, width, type for what you’re trying to do.

Evo and the house are good choices for cheap decent kit. If you have a sense of what you want in terms of width and length you can also go for the used market. Plenty of people selling lightly used skis+bindings because they need the new hotness.

vvv Right, meant skis/bindings only

ought ten fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 12, 2021

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

We have 20” forecast over the next week here in the whites :kingsley:

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

HookShot posted:

Another person died yesterday in the backcountry outside Whistler. Two in two days.

It’s not funny, but it is kinda funny to read “poop chute” in news stories.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

kalvanoo posted:

is this the touring thread too?

i'm currently skiing on a (very) old set of dynafit TLTs (the kind you turn the heel piece on) and i'm looking to upgrade to end this season. I've been looking at the dynafit Turn 2s and the g3 zed 9s and I was wondering if any of you goons had skied either of them and could offer any insight.

i'm east coast so i ski sub 100mm waists in garbage conditions, powder performance isn't really applicable to me. uphill's a bigger deal.

What’s up east coast touring buddy?

I ski Radical 2s. Very much prefer the flippy risers to the skinny system. And heavier obviously but the extra weight is worth the safety features to me. Can’t beat the price of Turn 2s though.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Spime Wrangler posted:

Awesome day yesterday! sprowzek and lady and dog were excellent guides, and we had fantastic conditions both weather and snow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgUXG3PD-eo

That’s a perfect clip, I can’t stop watching it

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Double post, just saw (on tik tok of all places) another skier dead near Loveland Pass. And a snowmobiler separately. So we’ve passed last year’s total.

E: https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMeLNHuXy/

ought ten fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 15, 2021

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

spwrozek posted:

Saw that last night. I just don't get the risk analysis of some people. So much good terrain that is so chill. Very sad.

Agreed. The pictures of the slide look like it went down to the rocks in places, and on CalTopo that slope seems to be high 30s or 40s.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

kalvanoo posted:

born from ice bud :hellyeah:

i dont have a lot of flippy riser experience but one thing i have noticed is they dont seem to have the same rise as the old TLT bindings. thinking now that wildsnow probably has a table of riser heights for various bindings.

what are the safety features that the radicals have? i'm assuming brakes? is there anything else they do that the lighter weight bindings don't?

I’m not fully versed in all the binding differences, but what I understand is that in addition to brakes they have a spring tensioned heel and the toe pivots, so they’re din certified. You get a little more boot movement before release, a more reliable release when the skis flex, plus lateral release.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Master_Odin posted:

Governor of VT announced today that you no longer need to quarantine for two weeks on entering the state if you've been vaccinated. Wonder if that'll bring more people to my mountain.

My sister (vaccinated) booked a house at Stowe today. So I’m guessing yes.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Moot .1415926535 posted:

I need to figure out how much to sell my AT ski setup for because I want a carbon splitboard. Cochise 178cm, marker kingpins, BD skins. Excellent condition. Any thoughts?

It’s a sellers market so start high. $1400?

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Moot .1415926535 posted:

just gonna chime in here and say do snowboarding instead

e: it’s very straightforward

This is a lie.

You stand sideways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I have the permanent wax solution, Phantom DPS, on two pairs of my skis and it is nice never needing to think about waxing them. The stuff works really well, too. But is expensive, 150 for the shop in Portland to apply it.

Same and same. My shop’s website listed it as $90 but they don’t tell you it’s $60 more to put it on. And they’re the only ones with the equipment to put it in. For a minute I was wondering if same shop but then I realized other Portland. Pissed me off but I’m glad to not have to worry about it and help the planet a little.