Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Man, it's been 4-5 years since I been snowboarding. Conditions sucked in SE Michigan and I was too busy with school. But now I've graduated and moved to LA. Went to Mountain High two weekends ago and that was light years ahead of Mt Brighton or Alpine Valley back in Michigan. It was amazing but also lovely cause it had been so long since I boarded, I was having trouble with everything and the elevation definitely hosed with me. Tried a blue and it was way tougher than I expected.

Glad we went that day though, pseudo company sponsored trip to Mammoth last weekend. Mind fuckin blown :circlefap:. So much snow, so many runs, not as busy as I expected. The warm up day at High was life saving, muscle memory kicked in and I was havin a blast cuttin down some hard greens. I'm hooked again. Ikon pass here I come.

Mongoose posted:

I hope the wide / carving revolution filters into the general snowboarding image enough that some people go straight to that style and gain their control and confidence that way.

I too wish for this, but because I have giant rear end feet (size 14/15), so wider boards as standard means an easier time for me finding a board and not havin like one option per brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

:magical: Thats terrifying

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

I should definitely get a snow hoodie, I run hot as gently caress. On a normal ~30° day, I'm usually down to a standard hoodie after gettin goin and yeah those get wet easily. I don't know why it didn't occur to me that this was probably something that existed.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I was unaware this was a standardized look. :tmyk:

Oh come on, everyone's been caught once or twice

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

gently caress, I forgot how much boarding on hard pack sucks. Hit an ice patch pretty early in the day and got absolutely wrecked. Had to call it a day before I would have liked because my body couldn't take anymore :negative:

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Rated PG-34 posted:

welp, badly bruised my collarbone (xray came out negative luckily). i was practicing switch on gentle terrain when it happened. for some reason, i have a lot of trouble riding switch straight downhill.

I'm generally really bad at switch, but I've been doing a lot better with it after a 5 year hiatus. I've also been doing worse with regular, so I'm pretty confused.

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

That's really why I get twins and make myself ride switch. I know I'm bad at it from skateboarding, and I want to not be bad at it

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

il serpente cosmico posted:

When I first started skateboarding and snowboarding I went through a period where I thought I might have been goofy, and before I really figured out how to ride I switched back and forth a bit. One day on the mountain, something just clicked in my brain and goofy just felt completely wrong to me.

I've known I'm goofy since forever because of skateboarding. I can barely skateboard switch and being switch on a skateboard makes me feel like I must go back to regular immediately or I'm gonna bail. Snowboarding switch used to make me feel the same but comin back this year, it doesn't and I don't know why. Skateboarding switch still feels wrong :confused:

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

kiimo posted:

You can always do the thing where someone pushes you from behind and see which foot comes foward. I've been goofy forever even though I'm right handed and bat right handed. But it manifests in other areas. My track blocks were opposite the other runners. Boxing southpaw feels more natural. Skating, wakeboarding, surfing all goofy. Shooting layups is weirdly easier with my left hand so I can jump off my right foot.

I've already been snowboarding for years goofy with it being natural. It's not that I'm not goofy, it's that switch isn't so bad after a long break.

I honestly think it also has to do with the conditions. I'm used to snowboarding on hard pack/ice, and being switch felt super unstable and a recipe for eating poo poo. The snow here has been way better, and it doesn't feel like I'm gonna catch an edge the second I go switch

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

fknlo posted:

The crosstrek would be cool if it came with a different engine.

Came to say this. I like the design (even if it's a bit goofy), but I won't consider buying one until they give it a better engine. No fuckin power, no acceleration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Rated PG-34 posted:

The fun part is that vail will be fine even when the economy tanks due to their monopoly power. They’ll just use the opportunity to buy up more mountains on the cheap. :capitalism:

I really hate that that's true.