Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Apparently skiboarding is a thing. Looks hard to really carve on them. Anyone actually tried it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

spwrozek posted:

It was a thing in 1998. I am pretty sure mine and my brothers are in my dad's barn. In college we used to ride them on Wednesday nights for fun. Hey them from the rental shop for free. It was stupid but fun.

https://youtu.be/_X5LYEDRWFE

Saw this vid show up in my recs and looks like they still make them. That YouTube guy wears them without releasable bindings lol

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Skiboard != Snowblade if there was any confusion. The former are long and wide boards that are worn like skis

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

bawfuls posted:

can you show us some visual aids to demonstrate this distinction? Cause "long and wide boards that are worn like skis" just sounds like skis to me

http://www.rvl8skiboards.com/

they're wider than skis and like 100cm

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Razzled posted:

On a train from Tokyo to Hokkaido now... First tracks of the season are only 8.5 hours away 😐

Tues/Weds should be a powder day tho

im surprised you took the train. the flight is only like an hr and cheaper iirc

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

how does mt baker compare to cypress mountain this time of the year (in terms of crowds/size)? Wondering if it's worth the trek.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Welp, that sucks. At least you were doing sth cool in the park when it happened. I borked mine last season just on a steep icy run

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I spent the day at mt Baker and it was p crowded, but at least less crowded than cypress. 1-2” of fresh. B++

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Dogeh posted:

How much are the lift tickets there?
Whistler is like loving $140 for a day lift ticket.

65 USD, which kind of sucks for CAD havers since it just tanked further recently

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Haven’t done any east coast riding yet, but looking at the snow reports, it seems p dire. Anyone been out?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

What are some good ski boot inserts for arch support? I think someone mentioned a few pages back but I forget

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

bawfuls posted:

SuperFeet is a very common brand but talk to a boot fitter.

Ok, I’ll just get sth like that. Skiing aggravated runner’s knee that’s been bothering me lately (probably due to flat feet). Hopefully a better footbed would help

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Saying mtns are going to be epic is bad juju

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

welp, badly bruised my collarbone (xray came out negative luckily). i was practicing switch on gentle terrain when it happened. for some reason, i have a lot of trouble riding switch straight downhill.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

My riding buddy is a beginner, so it was a good time to learn switch. For some reason I can transition the turns ok, but I’m off balance, with a tendency to fall toeside, while heading straight down the fall line. Maybe I’m weighting the back foot too much.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

they can't refuse to approve your sick days. we only get 5 a year tho

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I wanna go ride the NK ski resort

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Yuns posted:

So jealous. I just bought a skateboard yesterday to scratch that boarding itch in the off season even though I have skated in like 3 decades.

All the hotness is electric skateboards these days. Get with the pogrom old man

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

One wheel nosedives sound p scary, and the fact it could happen from mechanical failure. Also, judging by forum posts, one wheel community fanboys are really annoying, but that’s sorta neither here nor there.

The leiftech board is neat but I hear it’s a maintenance nightmare

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

The fun part is that vail will be fine even when the economy tanks due to their monopoly power. They’ll just use the opportunity to buy up more mountains on the cheap. :capitalism:

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

let me tell you about global warming

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

not as horrific but a friend knew a ski instructor who was in a gondola with kids he was looking after when the gondola fell due to heavy winds. he was the sole survivor since the kids broke his fall

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

They overprescribe labrum repair surgery so you ought to get multiple opinions if you haven’t already

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Good to know, I’ll know more after my MRI this afternoon. May end up driving up to Vail for the surgery as I’ve heard good things about the shoulder guy there.

Yeah, I had 3 opinions, the first 2 recommended surgery and the last one recommended some stretches and PT. IIRC, the surgery often isn’t 100% repair either so if you can get away without it, you’re probably better off.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

fknlo posted:

One of my friends went there last year. He didn't care for it at all as a snowboarder. He said he was constantly walking due to catwalks. Outside of that he said he loved it there.

There's several peaks at Zermatt and some sides of the mountain are better than others for snowboarding imo. The scenic area near the matterhorn isn't so great for snowboarding.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Yeah real bummer about the ski season. Also millions gonna die from a viral pandemic.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

We’ll need quite the miracle for ski resorts to reopen this year

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I kinda want to get one of the snowboard addiction jib training boards for self isolation training but they’re so pricey for what they appear to be

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Uncle Lloyd posted:

Not an April Fools: RIP Vail capital investments. Also furloughing basically the entire hourly workforce and canceling stock dividends.

Surely they’ll get bailed out if it gets to breaking point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

HookShot posted:

It's not going to; they're hanging onto capital so that they can take advantage of any fire sales of borderline bankrupt ski resorts.

Well naturally. But if skiing is dead for a couple years and poo poo really goes south, surely they’ll get some sweet bailout money