Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Cold outside in western Norway, but not winter yet. But I've got a big cup of coffee and there's world cup GS on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Great racing post! I've been wondering about those GS turns, I thought they were supposed to carve all the way.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

He's still very young, albeit only 5 years younger than Hirscher. He's going to have some time to rule alone. But I think the recent setbacks has taken a toll on him. He thought he was number 1 already, then he earned the ire of Austria by shouting "kiss my rear end" in Schladming, got excluded from the national team for a while for being a dick and sued the national ski association for the right to wear a $$$ Red Bull logo on his helmet, case still pending. He could learn a thing or two from Svindal. Be a nice guy, help your team mates, brag about your competitors, you will be well liked and your head will be in a better place. (Svindal's head happens to be inside a helmet with a Red Bull logo, which is part of the story).

HookShot posted:

He's the only one with the technique to carve almost every turn on one of the toughest hills in the WC circuit.

Good example! It also looks like he's much better at absorbing the bumps, not letting them upset his line. Henrik too does a very clean carve, but with more small mistakes and less je-ne-sais-WTF.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Henrik is known to be very skinny for an alpine skier. In this, ahem, documentary aired during the olympics, we see Henrik attend a fat camp to try to build some bulk. It's in Norwegian but I think no translation is necessary. Starts around 4:45

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO7jVswV9dY

Ola fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 31, 2018

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Before there's snow to ski on, I guess this thread might as well be posting skiing stars also not skiing. Here's Shiffrin cleaning her toilet:

https://twitter.com/uninterrupted/status/1057727878102577152

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Wow, that's very impressive. It's like a 12-year old was sitting on your back and has now jumped off.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

kiimo posted:

I’m always super psyched to see a new diet until I see no alcohol, then I reject that diet. Every diet has no alcohol so I just decide that I’m going to work out every day instead. That’s no life I want.

Maybe try the fine wine diet. Get into exclusive stuff from Burgundy and Bordeaux, then you can no longer afford food and your weight plummets.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Watching the GS from Killington, midway through the second run. Please gods of skiing let Ragnhild Mowinckel defend her lead! Looks like there's very good conditions there.

e: a great 2nd behind an absolutely superhuman Brignone.

Ola fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 24, 2018

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

HookShot posted:

Also, Shiffrin became the 7th woman to win a world cup event in all five disciplines today.

I was a bit surprised there were that many, so I figured there would be quite a few of them from the earlier years. But no, looks like the earliest starting career (not sure if she was the first to get all five) was Pernilla Wiberg. One from the earlier years, Moser-Pröll had all four before Super-G. And now Shiffrin has all six, after parallel slalom!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIS_Alpine_Ski_World_Cup#Most_successful_race_winners

Ola fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Dec 3, 2018

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

After running intervals, I xc ski'd one lap of the local athletics track. About 1/2" of snow/light hail. Good pole bite in the tartan track. Yeah I'm getting pretty desperate.

https://twitter.com/OlaMarvin/status/1070041287670329345

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

My xc skis are so light I keep them in my back pocket. I force levitate my alpine skis.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Spime Wrangler posted:

we're about two weeks into xc season here and they've finally started setting classic tracks. I'm doing a 50k race in late january on skate skis and am so so hosed. I did the 24k version last year on about as much total prep as I've done in the past 10 days and it was fun and I only cramped on a hill and stopped four people dead behind me once, so why not do the full distance?

my big takeaway so far with this sport is that skating is a ritualistic act of self-embarrassment via lungs, legs, coordination, and fashion.

Haha, yeah! Where is the race? I'm doing 38 km in April, Skarverennet in the Norwegian mountains. It's starts with 230 m climb over 5k, at present a 20 m climb knocks all the air out of me for a good few minutes. Hope to build some technique and endurance before then. It got cancelled due to bad weather last season, hope it works out this time. It looks like a fantastic experience when the weather is good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek1cyTWtFmc

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Denis Spitsov of Russia here, showing that cross country skiing can be hard to swallow.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Spime Wrangler posted:

apparently Nordic skiers consistently have the highest vo2 max of any athletes

i totally believe it because it is loving relentless

In this case, he just didn't agree with the sports drink he got during the race. Many athletes struggle with this apparently, in all sorts of endurance sports. He was actually faster after throwing up!

The Glumslinger posted:

Cross country skiing has always seemed like one step above torture. Why anyone would do it for fun is a mystery to me

Not gonna lie, some trips have felt pretty close to torture, but it really is whatever you make of it. It can be leisurely hiking, family snow play, winter Zen, long distance or mountain touring, winter dog walking, low impact cardio workout etc etc. I need a bit of cardio in my life to offset various preferences such as butter and computers, cross country skiing is such good training and so much fun, it motivates me to work out in the summer as well so I can get better at it. Trying to nail technique and gaining gradual improvements is also a big motivator, as it is in alpine skiing and many other sports as well. Also, slow downhills feel fast, fast downhills feel ridiculously fast.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Kazak_Hstan posted:

What’s the purpose of testing at that threshold?

Test carefully first, tougher later. They might be testing different aspects of it as well.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'd love to get better at park skiing in my late 30s, if the gravity age tax didn't make landings so hard. Are those darn kids just baggy sacks of cotton balls and helium?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I can barely hear anything skiing due to the wind noise plus the helmet covering your ears, I never understood the speaker.

I guess it's wanting to ski a video. They always have soundtracks.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I’m confused. Are you saying they’re playing a song so that the video they’re making has audio in the background? It’s almost always added in post, because otherwise it’d sound like a mess.

No, so it feels like they're in a video when they're skiing. I guess the weed also helps.

e: it would be hilarious to watch a skiing video where the skier actually carried the sound system. Some tinny skate punk dopplering down the hill.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Last time I skied I had a day alone, so I totally owned the singles lane. People seem very weird about not wanting to share. I don't think they actually mind, I think they just instinctively form an orderly queue with their friends like they're getting seated at a restaurant or something. 2 people will stand and wait for 2 other people getting on a 6-seater. But if you don't mind that slight social intrusion, weee free VIP lane all day!

Finally getting some xc skiing this week, since there's no snow here on the Norwegian west coast I've turned climate refugee and will take a few days in the mountain. If my body doesn't feel too bad on day 1, I'll try skate skiing up an alpine hill on day 2 (blue piste, before the lifts open).

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Spime Wrangler posted:

Goddamn I’m tired.

Wow, no wonder. Well done!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Aksel and Lindsey both, with a few days in between. Both legends, both battered into retirement.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah, this. Cold wins over gloves with divide and conquer, your fingers don't get to share the heat. Using vapor traps is more of a polar technique where there's no moisture in the air and your sweat is very valuable heat that escapes easily, but in temperate climes, even quite cold ones, it's just about selecting the right garment.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

HookShot posted:

I'm watching the world champs Super G, for Lindsey Vonn's last ever Super G race, and oh boy did she eat it in a perfect example of why you really, really need to pay attention in inspection holy :stare:

Yeah, she went through the gate and dragged it with her.

Got down on her own skis, so I think she's still on for the downhill.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

kiimo posted:

They should give people a retro straight ski option for kicks at the rental places. I'd do it for a day.

I'm thinking about buying an old pair second hand if they're not too beat up, for straight line speed.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Ragnhild Mowinckel putting in a good downhill effort in the combination. I think tucking your hands behind your boots (Svindal style?) in a jump just looks so drat cool and confident.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

HookShot posted:

Gonna be -35 with the windchill here tomorrow so I am straight up nopeing out of training.

Nope out of outdoor training you mean, get warm in the gym!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

25 years since the the Olympics at Lillehammer, lots of nostalgia on TV. Some interesting things caught my eye, like Stine Lise Hattestad who won the new, cool sport freestyle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk2UZyBAFh8

Moguls and jumps on basically downhill skis is pretty funny. But the speed suit still looks great. It definitely didn't catch on, but it looks more acrobatic, it's much easier to see what's going on compared to a just a big rotating wad of Wu-Tang sweaters. She said it was extremely cold, so that's one thing. And related to how it's easier to see what's going on, her father said many were reluctant to use it because it was easier to see mistakes.

XC skating from around that time is also pretty funny to see now. They look more like alpine skiers who have to go up a little hill from the parking lot to the lift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAtbi0pr-UE

Torsos are almost horizontal and there's a huge gap between the ankles at the beginning of each push. Compare to modern skating with straighter backs and ankles almost touching on each push:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Si71upZigE&t=36s

Skiing has sure come along way since then.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

TMMadman posted:

Wrong thread.

But I wish I was skiing.

Deep down, isn't this true of all the other threads?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

My skate race is on tomorrow. 37 km, forecast is +4C, rain and 15 mph headwinds. It was nice knowing you all.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Spime Wrangler posted:

At least you don’t have to worry about kick waxing for that!

Yeah, I'm in the tourist class where many ski classic, I expect to see some sad faces among those.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Wistful of Dollars posted:

What's the worst that could happen?

Many things can happen. You can for instance fall and break your collarbone, which I did.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Thanks guys! Seems like it's a nice break so probably no need for surgery.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

DNF with a broken bone is ok according to Norwegian honor culture. Not Valhalla material of course, but ok. Got amazing help. Was on a snow mobile sled with painkillers administered within 15 minutes. Got ambulanced, X-rayed etc in time to make it on an early train home, where a group of guys showered me with sympathy, aquavit, beer and cured leg of lamb. The anesthesiologist among them said it was ok. The bone is not sitting quite right at the moment, so regular doctor on Monday. Got the xray on CD-ROM, can post it as soon as I visit an antique shop to get a drive.

Ola fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 27, 2019

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

22/37 km, with all the biggest climbs done, with all the worst downhills left. I'll take the DNF.

It was super tough conditions. The elite skiers typically finish in 1h20m-1h30m, the winner time today was 1h51m. Partly icy, partly sugary, hard slush, lots of headwind and rain. And because there's little snow, the course was steeper sideways than usual. It's along a mountain side, so if you were skating flat, you still had to skate uphill on every other push, but you couldn't do it so steeply that the uphill leg could push down again very well, so one leg wore out before the other. And the 45 deg wind was both braking and pushing you down, sideways. And you couldn't get the banked uphill energy back by gliding fast downhill, because low visibility, hard to snow plow etc. But while the uphills nailed me, I recovered pretty quickly so I actually managed to put together an ok shape. Perhaps I was getting a bit mentally tired and wanted to eat some free distance so I went a bit too fast in a sketchy place.

Sucks big time, but doesn't hurt too bad and I had many positive experiences along the way.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

HookShot posted:

I have the world's worst google tan right now.

Ah, this is when you search for something so much, you get a monitor UV burn with mirrored search results.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The Clavicle Club is recruiting all year!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

In case you needed reminding about why you should use glacier guides. A Norwegian rescue team recently won an award for a glacier rescue. The area is more of a permanent snow cap and has a summer ski lift, but obviously shares some important features with glaciers such as many opportunities to die. An older man had fallen down a narrow crevice, some lucky circumstances led to a great rescue mission. Had cell coverage and just enough battery to last, they zeroed in using his reports of helicopter noise and the observers saw his tracks when he had a few % battery left.

You can see his footsteps and then the glide tracks.

He was booked to go on a guided tour, but when he got up there he felt he wasn't up to it and stayed behind. He asked someone at the the ski center where it was safe to hike for a view and did so. But then time went by quickly, the bus departure drew near and he ended up looking for a shortcut... A good educational example of how someone with good decision making ability ends up making bad ones in incremental steps.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

IncredibleIgloo posted:

As a quick pivot to some positive loving topics, what is everyone's ski goal this season? I did 41 days last season so I want to hit 45 ski days(Stretch goal 50), lose 40 pounds by the end of ski season, and tackle the "Peak to the Creek" trail at Whistler. I also want to try my hand at some black diamonds. What is everyone else up to?

Get better at xc skating with at least 10 great 3 hr days, do an xc classic course, finish a xc tourist race without breaking my collarbone as I did this year.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

HookShot posted:

Do it.

I'm doing my last year of FIS racing this year. Gonna send it.

Cheering for you hard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

November 16th...