Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Ain't got half a what you thought you had

very likely will be headed to squaw either this weekend or next, and already have at least one more trip booked over president's day. the stoke is building. my jelly legs have no idea what they're in for. and my daughter is just taking her first steps over the past week so hopefully she'll be steady enough by February that we can strap some planks to her and see what happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Your tips are forward of you and the bindings are behind your head. The only way

does not parse

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Not sure if Iím more excited for my first turns of the season or for showing off my improved ski carrying style

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Got my first turns in today, at Squaw. Could definitely use a refresh but found some good snow nonetheless. Weíre staying til Monday and it sounds like that might be a decent pow day so my stoke is biding its time

[quote="Dangerllama" post=""490746284Ē"]
Oh, also I can’t stop checking out how people are carrying their skis now.
[/quote]

I carried mine tips down today and felt like a total fraud

spwrozek posted:

Skied with a bunch of Texans that I work with at keystone today.

So how did they carry their skis

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

So when my wife and I booked our first trip to Squaw for this past weekend, we decided to make it a 3-day and tack on the Monday after. As luck would have it, a nice little storm rolled through Sunday night and freshened everything up for a total bluebird mini-pow day on Monday. God drat it was fun, and the mountain was EMPTY. Canít wait to get back up

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Ugh I wish I was up at squaw. Maybe next weekend

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Tacier posted:

80 is closed in both directions right now with more snow on the way. Next weekend should be perfect.

This round of storms should be enough to get every mountain in Tahoe fully open. Hallelujah.

Yeah Iím glad this weekendís storms seemed to beat the upper end of a lot of forecasts and truly dump. Sounds like there could be more midweek so Iím sure next weekend will be great, I just have some FOMO ó love the feeling of skiing during a big storm, getting back to the condo and being snowed in, and then getting first tracks on a big pow day. Iíve been lucky as a relatively new skier to have had a lot of these days, hoping I get lucky again sometime this winter! :)

Thereís a part of me thatís considering blowing off work tomorrow and heading up for a day trip, but thatís probably a Sunday night fantasy that will die with the Monday morning alarm clock... sigh

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Playing hooky for a day trip to squaw. Will probably wind up having spent more time in the car than actually skiing, but itís already worth it and so much better than dealing with the inevitable clusterfuck this weekend

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

Going to Squaw this week, if TSA allows it.

It's my first time there. What should I know/where should I go?

Do you want to ski greens? Take the funitel up and lap the few green runs there.

Do you want to ski blues? Iíd recommend checking out Alpine Meadows. Itís a separate resort that squaw bought a few years ago, so you can ski both on the same lift ticket. They run free shuttles all day, and it takes about 15 mins to go from one to the other. Alpine is smaller and chiller, generally less crowded, and IMO has as good if not better intermediate terrain than Squaw.

Do you want to ski blacks? Run laps on KT, Headwall and Granite Chief at Squaw.

If youíre renting stuff Iíd get it outside the village for better prices. Tahoe Daveís is pretty good and has a location right at the entrance to squaw. The village does have a decent grocery store, except it doesnít have much in way of produce. The restaurants are pretty mediocre, but good enough if youíre just after bar food.

Have fun, hopefully the lifts arenít too impacted by the storms rolling in.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Waffling on whether a MLK Day day-trip to squaw would be insane or not...

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

TMMadman posted:

Making those hard, fast turns and your thighs immediately start to burn and the whole time your wondering if starting those turns was a bad decision and then suddenly your through them and at the end of the run breathing hard with a giant loving smile on your face.

Amen. And I'm out of shape enough that I usually get this feeling after just 1 run!

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Steve French posted:

Oh hi ski thread I forgot about you.

Hell yeah! Weíre headed up this weekend (assuming 80 doesnít close) and have some little clip on skis that we might put on our not-quite-1.5 year old daughter if sheís seeming adventurous in the snow. So pumped to get her started as early as possible

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Steve French posted:

Your problem will likely not be getting up here Friday afternoon as it will be getting back on Sunday or Monday.

Yeah the problem is we were planning to leave early Saturday which seems like it will be right in the middle of the first big storm. Already taking Monday off work and if we get snowed in til Tuesday I wonít complain :)

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Pretty amazing storm skiing day at Squaw. Visibility wasnít great, but worth it for the pow and unlimited refills

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Stranded at Squaw and seems extremely unlikely that anything will open today. Hoping that if we are forced to stay overnight I could at least get some turns on Tuesday but who knows

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

So do those cars all just get completely buried? Like are all those just sitting in their car hoping they don't run out of air or freeze before some rescue team comes to dig them out?

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Steve French posted:

Hell yeah. Ours are just over 2 (birthday in September). Keep the thread updated on her progress; I'd also love to share experiences/advice/etc.

Def would be into hearing experiences & advice. My daughter is just a few months younger than yours, and we're also planning to get her started this year. Have our first trip booked at Squaw in late January, haven't really thought at all about what our plan will be in terms of actually getting her on the mountain but we've got some time to figure it all out I guess

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Squaw Valley is dropping Squaw from the name. New name coming in 2021, and will be implemented after winter season 2021.

Good on them, although not going to pretend that SV/Alterra is all of a sudden a scion of Goodness or anything. Also seems a little silly that it will take more than a year to implement a drat name change...

https://squawalpine.com/squaw-valley-name-change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

while I am totally supportive of changing the name, I do admit that part of me is a little sad that it also means retiring the Squallywood nickname :/

they should rename it GNAR Valley