Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Got out skiing for the first time this season at Heavenly and did 4 days. This season I got my own skis (K2 Mindbender) and boots (Salomon S/Max), while my fiancée rented skis and boots for the season. We both took whole-day lessons on basically 4 hours sleep (since we got up at 5am anticipating heavy traffic from Sacramento that ... never materialized). I got a really rad female instructor in her 50's who's one of the top 100 instructors in the US, who took us to ski trees which I had always feared. Basically the rest of the time I just skied trees since the steeper blue runs are all ungroomed and full of bumps and the black diamonds lacked a lot of snow coverage.

Both my partner and I had really lovely time with our feet going numb, and we ended up getting her a pair of custom-fitted Nordica boots from the bootfitters in South Lake Tahoe. She ended up going back 3 times for adjustments since each time we thought we had it dialed in, we got to the mountain and she couldn't feel her feet after we got up the first lift. Thankfully if you get boots at the custom boot place, they do free adjustments over the lifetime of the boot. Mine are breaking in, so each day feels a bit better, but still very irritating.

All that aside I had a great time, and going with an instructor gave me the confidence to go in the double-black "Experts only enter only through the gates" of Mott Canyon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

knox_harrington posted:

They should get a bit better - but if you weren't already doing this, you may have a better time loosening the boots when you're not actively skiing downhill. Particularly if you have odd-shaped feet. I have some race boots which tend to have thinner liners and my feet go to sleep pretty quickly if I don't remember to undo the second buckle on chairlifts.

Yeah I was doing this on every lift ride. They’re getting better and at the end of day 4 I spent a few cycles of ski-lift-ski forgetting to unbuckle since my feet weren’t reminding me.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Fiancée wants to go up to her in-laws in the sierra foothills on MLK weekend, which would be nice for skiing since they're like 90 minutes from south lake tahoe. Except I got an epic local pass and not the full pass which means blackout dates. Guess i'm going to Sierra-at-Tahoe

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

spwrozek posted:

It should only be blacked out on Saturday

ohhhhhh i thought it was the whole weekend (which is how presidents day is blacked out). We were gonna ski on only sunday anyway, this changes things

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Has anyone skied at Kirkwood with a new skieer? My fiancee can do greens and easy blues (mostly on the Cali side at Heavenly) but i'm not sure how much fun she/we would have there (I've only done kirkwood on my own as a fairly advanced skier)

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Foxfire_ posted:

Blackout days are also half price vs window on epic local, so still slightly cheaper than sierra-at-tahoe.

I can't figure out how to get the half-price tickets online, can you only get the discount in person at the mountain?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

90 minutes to get in to Kirkwood parking today, a mile from the base. Some fuckwit decided to pull out of the lane turning right off 88 to the mountain to make like he was going to continue straight towards Tahoe, but instead just cut 20 cars ahead and merged back in right before the turn.

Of course the 2 CHP cars stationed by the intersection didn’t give a gently caress.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Skied at Kirkwood and Northstar this weekend with my fiancée who’s very new to skiing. She enjoyed both of them but maybe Kirkwood a bit more despite the hellish traffic getting in there.

Now we’re experiencing the fun that is Donner on a 3-day weekend and a crash.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

HookShot posted:

Yeah, I have Level gloves that I really like, but the leather on the fingers is really thin and I always forget and wipe the rain off my goggles and then ugh.

I’ve got a pair of Level gloves I stole from my brother probably 15 years ago. I almost lost them when I went up skiing over New Years and apparently they don’t make that exact model anymore, so when I lose them I’ll have to figure out which Hestras to get

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Eejit posted:

Having skied in Europe for the past two years in a row, the biggest difference is that NA resorts is that the runs are usually cut through trees and are really wide compared to European pistes. So honestly, NA skiing generally feels bigger to me.

This is untrue at heavenly and northstar from my experience. Especially the center part of heavenly where everything seems to be 3-4 snowcats wide

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Seriously considering getting a humidifier to bring with me on trips to Tahoe. Hydration and chapstick I can deal with, but the dry air at night (esp with heaters running) gets to me.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I'm heading up to Northstar weekend after Pres Day, what i'm hearing is that I should just bring hockey skates?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

At Northstar, it's super nice out if you ignore the fact that runs on the backside have poo poo for coverage and it's slush-covered ice

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Just wrapped up three days at Northstar. Bluebird and 40-50 degrees was nice on the groomers but some of the expert runs were hard ice covered in just a little loose snow kicked up by people. Finished off with 2.5 hours this morning before driving home - great on the black diamonds on the backside but ate poo poo on a blue groomer and scraped up my gut :(

On the plus side my partner who is fairly new to skiing really enjoyed it (mostly due to the warm sunny days) despite having numb feet

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I'm considering cancelling my (bus) trip to Heavenly next weekend but only because there hasn't been any new snow yet.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

highme posted:

Funny story about old step-ins. Last weekend in the lodge before our comp one of the other volunteers tells me he brought up his "legacy" board, "it's a K2 Fatbob with step-ins." Later as I'm getting ready to head up to course I see him walking back into the lodge full Charlie Brown moping with the sole of one of his boots in his hand. Shockingly 15-20 year old glue doesn't hold up all that great.

Lol, I saw an older guy in the lift line last weekend with old step-ons and his front boot upper had just split fro the sole, creating a perfect hole to encase his toes with slush

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I'm looking to get a pair of Leki Trigger poles, what websites should I be hitting up to get them cheap?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

I'm going to Tahoe this weekend and picking up my dad at the Sacramento airport on the way, there is no way I don't have this poo poo by late March.

gently caress it, the skiing will be worth it, I'd just get it at home anyways

I’m going up this weekend too, Heavenly on sat and Kirkwood on sun

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Took a bus trip up to Tahoe, skied Heavenly yesterday in pretty lovely conditions - mid-20s and driving snow. Groomers were OK but anything in the terrain was icy and exposed.
Kirkwood got 3 inches last night so the backside on the north facing bowls was amazing until it got too crowded. I feel like I got a bit better at powder this time but i have yet to experience 6”+ fresh powder

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

I feel like I'm probably not going to end up going on that ski trip to Tahoe next week :(

We just scheduled a trip to """"visit the inlaws"""" up in Placerville. Hopefully people are staying home so traffic in SF and Sac should be decent on friday, and then hopefully we can get in a few hours at Heavenly on sat and hit Kirkwood on sunday.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Steve French posted:

Why not? Supposed to actually get a real storm this weekend and no confirmed cases here yet.

...wait, yes, stay home

The forecast looks pretty nuts, double digits around the area and 20-30" at Kirkwood. Now i'm wondering if i'll be able to get up 50 at all

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

I just cancelled my trip to Tahoe next week and this is literally the first thing Twitter shows me

I cancelled as well :( Hopefully I can make it up next week

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

My last run(?) was a pretty nice run down Palisades at kirkwood, i'll be happy with that.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Skistar finally announced that they will close their Swedish mountains (Åre, Sälen, Vemdalen) for the season, after being forced to close their norwegian hills (trysil, hemsedal) almost 3 weeks ago. They're closing them starting April 6th which is the start of the easter vacation for most of sweden.

I really don't get Skistar's and Sweden's strategy, beyond chasing as much money as possible.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I have family in Sun Valley, ID who love skiing, hiking, fishing and golfing but that probably doesn’t tick the affordability box.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Some employers, notably Amazon with CO, UT and IL when I worked for them, will not let you do _any_ work for them in certain states for tax liability reasons. So moving states while remote can range from “it’s a cost of living adjustment because gently caress you” to “impossible to swing”

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

how do i make pizza slice in my tank send help

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Bilirubin posted:

Jerry stands against police brutality

Also in the middle of the cat track waiting for his drinking buddies

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

We were considering renting a house in Tahoe for the week after Labor Day. My fiancee needs to do some stuff in SF and her parents live in Sacramento so we want to visit (as distanced as possible) but also be able to work from cabin and do some hiking to justify the drive time from LA. It seems everyone else in the bay area has this idea though, prices are ludicrous for that week and the subreddit is complaining that every trailhead is packed.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I can't imagine the shitshow that will be the lines for the backside at kirkwood on a powder day with limits on the number of people per lift. Or for that matter the center lift at Northstar where they have "maze masters" to handle the queuing.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I have the ODT 2.0 for my helmet and I really like them overall. I still haven’t figured out which butan does what so mostly I control them from my Apple Watch. They sound ridiculously good and I basically don’t notice that they’re in the flaps when the music is stopped.

I mostly just listen to music on the lift and sometimes on groomers, but it’s nice to use them to call my partner and let her know what’s up

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

That’s what I got for last season and I wish I had gotten them on clearance. Really happy with them so far.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Macnult posted:

no turning back now, covid be damned. i WILL learn how to ski this season

Nice! My partner has a pair of Nordicas, she's been pretty happy with them

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

IncredibleIgloo posted:

In Oregon we need a special parking permit called a "Sno-Park" pass to park at the resorts that are on forest service land. Does Colorado have a similar thing?

California only requires it to park at sno-parks during winters - a couple friends with vans do this for overnight parking. Not needed for parking at the resort tho.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Laserface posted:

however you're only getting in as many laps as the slowest person in your crew.

ride solo. singles line 4 lyfe

:smith:

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Spime Wrangler posted:

Also make sure you absolutely avoid any skis that require kick wax.

I haven't skied on XC skis since the Clinton administration - have waxless skis gotten better since then? Growing up with a dad obsessed with XC skiing, he'd do our waxing and I was always a bit disappointed when I went out on fishscales. Even in conditions where we had to deal with klister it still felt better than fishscale skis.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I really want to get in to backcountry, but with the 'roni spiking hard in CA I don't want to do avy training. Kicking myself for not doing it last season now.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

Could, but wouldn’t. Step Ons own and I won’t be convinced otherwise. There’s literally nothing more satisfying than getting off the chair and gliding away from my wife while she’s fumbling with her ski pole wrist straps. Shoe is on the other foot now, isn’t it?!

Get her a pair of Leki Trigger poles. The ski instructor at Heavenly I got had those making me super jealous

Interesting- my experience from XC skiing has me using the strap for all my power in the pole plant in turns. I can’t imagine going uphill with no straps

luminalflux fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 25, 2020

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

That’s an odd number and the only distance that made sense to me is that it’s 119 miles from SF to Monterey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

IncredibleIgloo posted:

The cross section of night skiing and ancient style lift makes me think it might be. That lift is the longest lift I have ever taken. I timed it, I think it is like 14 minutes.

Galaxy lift at Heavenly is like 16 minutes. Shame since the skiing back there can be nice but gently caress that lift ride.