Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT
How good of a skier do I need to be for heli-skiing to be worth it?

Stellar is doing a locals day for $550 CAD - 6 runs, 3000m vertical. I'm a lovely skier but I'm tempted...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

spwrozek posted:

You generally you need to be able able to ski resort blacks. The people you go with are all going to be black diamond skiers. Unless you have a whole bird (so four people) at your ability you are either going to be slowing everything down and making people mad or you are going to have to wait out runs or something.

For the price though it is a loving steal. Through in another $100 for the lead and tail guide and just drat is that cheap.

I’d say I’m ok on resort blacks - I spent more time on blues last year though because I bought skis for Cypress / the PNW and then moved to the Kootenays. 85 or 90mm waist, full camber - fun for groomers but not powder highway skis.

I’ll have new gear this year but not a lot of days on it... but for that price I’m not sure how worried I am about being the last guy down a run.

Thanks for the post, something to think about.

bringer fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 17, 2018

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

The timing worked out well for me to get a new pair of skis from a local manufacturer instead of ordering online.

I picked up a pair of Instinct Seekers this weekend. Put the new G3 Zed bindings on them and I couldn't be happier with my touring setup right now. Not that I've got a lot of experience, I did my AST-1 this past weekend in the Whitewater backcountry and I've been grinning since Sunday remembering the turns down.

I'm planning to head to back down to Whitewater for a couple of days of lift-access downhill next week to get as much time on my skis as possible before going up with Stellar. The forecast is looking pretty good for Christmas week skiing.

The season felt a little slow to get started but I'm feeling the stoke now!

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

spwrozek posted:

So you decided to go for the day of heli! Very nice.

Here's to hoping for blue skies on the 31st!

Yeah, even if I'm not the best skier it'll still be a bunch of helicopter rides and I decided I couldn't turn that down.

The skiing part should be pretty great too though, and what a way to cap off a year in the mountains!

My excitement levels are pretty high. :)

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

spwrozek posted:

Well I broke my collar bone...

drat dude, that sucks. Sorry to hear that. Hope you have a speedy recovery and can get back at it for the tail of the season.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

spwrozek posted:

Yeah, enjoy the heli day Monday... I gave my and my girls spot to some guys in kaslo that would never be able to afford going but are awesome guys.

Thanks!

I hope you can come up with a decent backup plan for the winter while you heal up - maybe somewhere warm and lazy?

That’s awesome of you to give your spots away, I’m sure your buddies really appreciate that generosity.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

Heli skiing was great and my worries about skill were unfounded. I had to call the day short after my chronic illness flared during lunch, but the morning was exceptional and I’m glad I went.

PSA for men in your 30s: If something seems wrong, don’t waste time before getting your butt checked: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QxIIHy8kGvM

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

Math You posted:

WHAT WAS WRONG WITH YALLS BUTTS?

Tell me what rear end cancer signs I am missing :ohdear:

In your 20s and 30s, a little blood from your butt is usually assumed to be hemorrhoids and doesn’t seem to be taken seriously. I had that plus chronic stomach aches and irregular poops. My doctor thought that was a bad combo and sent me for further testing where they found and removed a bunch of pre-cancerous growths in two surgeries.

It’s still an ongoing thing I have to deal with but it’s a drat sight better than finding out after it had metastasized into cancer. Knowing is half the battle. ~GI JOEEE~

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

spwrozek posted:

Silver lining is where it is at.

The more bones the better, and it looks like you’re running a surplus!

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

ironlung posted:

Describe these stomach aches. I have had this weird lower left abdominal pain for years, very dull that comes and goes, even went to the doc for it and they said it was because of eating too much dairy (cutting out dairy did nothing). Nothing alarming/irregular with my poops tho.

I’d describe it as the kind of stomach ache you get when you’re really stressed, if that makes sense. I actually thought it was an ulcer to begin with, as I felt permanently stressed and my stomach hurts when I eat and also when I don’t. Still have the stomach aches and nausea but knowing there’s a physical cause has been good for the stress - poo poo’s weird.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

spwrozek posted:

I am alive after surgery. Doc said it was very shattered.

At first glance it looked like the doctor gave up, amputated your arm, replaced it with a pillow, and booked it hoping you’d enjoy the drugs too much to notice while he was still in the hospital.

Good luck with the recovery!

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

This Saturday I went up Mt Brennan here in the Selkirks for what felt like my first real backcountry trip. The only other times I’ve been out touring have been guided courses, or me just skinning around on Nordic trails to practice basics, but this was just me and a friend miles and miles from anyone else.

For me that feeling is as addicting as fresh powder, which was also pretty drat good!

I’m realizing as I type this up that SA requires uploading pictures to a third party so I’ll have to edit that in later.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

spwrozek posted:

Did you do the whole tour from the road? That is a big one! The tour up into oak Creek is good too. And yes, share pics.

P.S. buy a sled!

P.S.S. I don't think I will make it up there this year unfortunately. I am pretty bummed but oh well. See ya next season though for sure.

Nah, this friend actually has a cabin back on Brennan so we took a sled up to it and then toured from there. Definitely feeling the need for a sled after that though, I've already started browsing the classifieds.

Shame you won't be up this winter, let me know when you're up next year and I'll buy you a beer. :)

We followed the left ridge up, had good protection most of the way. Could hear a few avys kicking off - freezing layer was over 2000m - but didn't see any.

Looking back into the bowl.

From near our lunch break. Last picture I took before the sun hid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

Math You posted:

Anyone been to Red Mountain? I've heard a lot good about it and it seems significantly cheaper than a lot of other resorts.
Flights are a bit complicated though. Castlegar is expensive and probably doesn't have a lot of rental options. Spokane is a loving 11hr+ flight from Ottawa and an extra 2hr drive to the resort

Castlegar airport manages a 50% flight cancellation rate during the winter. It's Cancelgar.

It's a bit more work but flying into Trail is the way to go, especially if you're going to Red. Rossland is just up the road from Trail and their airport doesn't shut down nearly as often. The complicating factor is no major airlines fly into Trail so you have to pick up your luggage in Vancouver and move to a separate terminal, where all the charter flights take off from. The nice thing is the plane is tiny and the flight is short and the Trail airport is so small and chill you'll probably just have your luggage handed to you directly.